Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2013 3:27:39 PM EDT
I just picked up my S&W M&P-10 today and decided to do an unboxing/review video for you guys seeing as there really aren't any videos on it out there yet.......let me know what you guys think!

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet.  Looking forward to part 2.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sweet.  Looking forward to part 2.

So am I!
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Good quick review.

The portion of the barrel from the gas block to the muzzle looks thinner then a pencil profile.

Do you know off hand what the diameter is of that portion.

What's the profile like under the hand guards.

How did S&W design the ambi bolt catch to operate. In other words, how does it operate in conjunction with the standard bolt catch.

Thank you for your service to our country.    

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good quick review.

The portion of the barrel from the gas block to the muzzle looks thinner then a pencil profile.

How did S&W design the ambi bolt catch to operate. In other words, how does it operate in conjunction with the standard bolt catch.

Thanks and wow...so many questions lol. I just got it today and did the video quick. I'll have to get back to you...lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Will they make an adapter so you can put standard 5.56 uppers on it? Kinda like the colt LE901. That would only make since to me, otherwise it's just another AR-10. The ambi controls is pretty nice. Not going to lie. But doesn't help use right handed guys at all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will they make an adapter so you can put standard 5.56 uppers on it? Kinda like the colt LE901. That would only make since to me, otherwise it's just another AR-10. The ambi controls is pretty nice. Not going to lie. But doesn't help use right handed guys at all.

I have no idea bud...
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Wicked cool. price?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wicked cool. price?

Got it for MSRP at $1650
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Any idea what rails are compatible with the rifle?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Where'd ya get it from?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good quick review.

Thanks and wow...so many questions lol. I just got it today and did the video quick. I'll have to get back to you...lol
Cool, let me know, no rush.

Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks Great!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
looks great. i like how S&W did their own trigger guard into the lower. nice and simple.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
That gas block screams Armalite.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#16]
love the ambi controls hate that thin barrel
but great video thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks Great!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
love the ambi controls hate that thin barrel
but great video thanks

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That gas block screams Armalite.

Its getting replaced lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
no dude keep it - the gas block is rail height. you can mount standard flip ups meant for handguards, but it's solidly mounted to the barrel like a standard a-frame front sight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
no dude keep it - the gas block is rail height. you can mount standard flip ups meant for handguards, but it's solidly mounted to the barrel like a standard a-frame front sight.

I think I want to free float the barrel and get an extended hand guard to extend the sight radius for iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, I have a few questions- no idea if you have answers on them yet

These are things I'd love to know about the gun -
- Is it compatible with say, Gunfighter or Raptor charging handles for the 7.62 guns?
- What rails is it compatible with, due to the barrel nut?
- What's the ballpark figure for accuracy? The thing that throws me off is that 5R barrel. I'm thinking it will be accurate until it heats up? Free floating and a better trigger might be super helpful as well
- Does the light weight make recoil worse?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Based off unwrapping my own box yesterday I have some info to share.

Barrel nut is DPMS style, it should interchange with other capatable type.
Apex Handgaurds (gator style) free floats are in the accessories catalog that came with the gun.
The flash hider is huge, ads over 2inches to the gun.
Gas block is also huge
Mid-length hand guards fit the gun, stock ones do not have heat shields.

I have some work to dO and this thing is going to be awesome. Taking it to the Range tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Apex Handgaurds (gator style) free floats are in the accessories catalog that came with the gun.
Gas block is also huge

I have some work to dO and this thing is going to be awesome. Taking it to the Range tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!

So I assume that it's the "new" (post 2009 iirc?)  DPMS "lo-pro" style?
APEX and DD 7.62 Lite 9in rails seem to be the options for this gun
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Gas block is also huge

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]
ETA: Longgg delay doubletap
This is the post that I could not see. It showed up right after I posted the next one
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#27]
So I'm bumping this thread . I posted on Friday but for some reason I'm not seeing my post? Let me try again:

Due to the generosity of one of our members on the EE, (who was a pleasure to deal with BTW ), it looks like I’ll have a S&W M&P10 heading towards my FFL Soon.

Now because I live in a communist state, compliance work will be done before I lay hands on it. This includes pinning a comp on it. Now I’m pretty sure if I pin that comp on, it means I can’t get the gas block off- which means that I’m pretty limited on rail options. I’m thinking this leaves me with 3 options:
1) Beg and try to convince those pinning my comp to also install a rail
2) Get that 13.8in Troy MRF rail, and find someone/figure out how to cut that rail to size
3)  Attempt to find the mythical unicorn that is a DPMS-barrel nut compatible midlength drop in rail.
From all the googling I’ve done the past few days, no one makes one.

Here’s my question – So this gun takes Midlength MOE handguards right? I’m assuming it can then take just about (but not all) any rail that fits in the same dimensions. I believe this includes a few drop in free float handgaurds. I think I've seen a picture of a .308 with ar15 rails dropped in. Granted the rail height was wrong, it still fit.

What do you guys think? Anyone with input?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So I'm bumping this thread . I posted on Friday but for some reason I'm not seeing my post? Let me try again:

Due to the generosity of one of our members on the EE, (who was a pleasure to deal with BTW ), it looks like I’ll have a S&W M&P10 heading towards my FFL Soon.

Now because I live in a communist state, compliance work will be done before I lay hands on it. This includes pinning a comp on it. Now I’m pretty sure if I pin that comp on, it means I can’t get the gas block off- which means that I’m pretty limited on rail options. I’m thinking this leaves me with 3 options:
2) Get that 13.8in Troy MRF rail, and find someone/figure out how to cut that rail to size
3)  Attempt to find the mythical unicorn that is a DPMS-barrel nut compatible midlength drop in rail.

Here’s my question – So this gun takes Midlength MOE handguards right? I’m assuming it can then take just about (but not all) any rail that fits in the same dimensions. I believe this includes a few drop in free float handgaurds. I think I've seen a picture of a .308 with ar15 rails dropped in. Granted the rail height was wrong, it still fit.

Well for me Im just going to go with the Magpul MOE mid length handguard. As soon as its on Im going to post some pictures of it! I cant wait to sight this rifle in.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is the MOE middie handguard on mine.  I like it MUCH better than the ones that come from the factory.  TJR

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for me Im just going to go with the Magpul MOE mid length handguard. As soon as its on Im going to post some pictures of it! I cant wait to sight this rifle in.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#30]
May be a stupid question but does the M&P 10 have a mil-spec or commercial extension tube?

Looking at news stocks and was curious.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
May be a stupid question but does the M&P 10 have a mil-spec or commercial extension tube?

Looking at news stocks and was curious.

Thanks for the help!

Pretty sure its mil spec because I just put a Magpul mil spec stock on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here is the MOE middie handguard on mine.  I like it MUCH better than the ones that come from the factory.  TJR
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/trobertson5-0/101_0876_zps55abcd82.jpg

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the pic! I'll be going with the MOE now for sure.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Headed out to the range with her today!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#34]
would going with a free float handguard improve accuracy that much over the magpul handguard or no? i really would rather go with a free float handguard but i suppose that if i can accomplish what i want with just an moe handguard then why not save those pennies, ~$30 vs ~$130???
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
would going with a free float handguard improve accuracy that much over the magpul handguard or no? i really would rather go with a free float handguard but i suppose that if i can accomplish what i want with just an moe handguard then why not save those pennies, ~$30 vs ~$130???

There's a lot of argument on this. Some say no, some say yes. AR's are pretty accurate to begin with - but...

1) Barrels have harmonics, it's kind of like a tuning fork, they do whip a little bit when they go off. Long distance shooters will tell you their game is all about elimination/control of variables, and consistency. Being in the same position without moving the gun shot to shot, good ammo, good form, etc - that matters. Free floating the barrel lets the barrel do its thing between shots, without taking the risk of the pressure being different on the handguard (due to hand or bipod) shot to shot, throwing things off.

2) Force on the barrel can and often does inconsistency in between shots. That sling swivel being directly on the barrel - sling tension will do the same thing.

3) Some swear that the "it doesn't make a difference" monikor just doesn't stand up to actual testing. Pushing on the handguards ends up translating to pushing the barrel up slightly too, *SUPPOSEDLY*, some claim this can shift your point of impact noticeably, and it gets worse as distance gets further. Consider this gun is a .30cal, I think many of us are going to want to stretch its legs

4) Realistically, barring the "End of the World as We know it, John connor fighting the machines style protracted SHTF", or zombies, or redcoats part deux, the odds of most of us needing to make a life saving shot at several hundred yards and getting screwed by sling tension or our hand pushing on the handguards too much is real slim. If anything it's just more likely to tick us off at the range.

For my money? I'm free floating it.
Free floating handguards are readily available, they come in a myriad of different sizes and lengths, tubes vs rails, proprietary vs standard barrel nut, etc. Thusfar though, no one seems to offer a pure drop in style rail for midlength Low profile DPMS barrel nut 308s. Frustrating for sure.

Rails that I came across in my googling
-Daniel Defense Lite rail
-Apex Gator tube
-Troy TRX
-Troy MRF drop in
-I think the JP tubes should work
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I just put on on Layaway .
MSRP $1599
VA Arms
Manassas
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I am curious how you were able to get the heat shield around the base of the barrel?  I have not had any success when trying to install my magpul middie.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am curious how you were able to get the heat shield around the base of the barrel?  I have not had any success when trying to install my magpul middie.

Ive installed mine and you just snap it around. Just push it over the barrel and the heat shield will bend around but when it over the barrel it fits.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Good to hear!

How did you get it around the barrel nut though?
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good to hear!

How did you get it around the barrel nut though?

I dont think it goes around the nut but goes just in front of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Le model

Description on finish bugs me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just picked up a mid length today for mine.  I spread the heat shield a little on the on the flared portion of the barrel.  It then popped right on.

On the other hand, wish the MOE grip fit a little better.  I was unaware of the needed "wedge" so there is not a gap on the back strap.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Any accuracy report?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I apologize-not the barrel nut itself, but there is another lipped ring.  I just can't get it to seat in the delta ring and that lip just cuts into the polymer.  I am beginning to wonder if I received a defective handguard somehow...

I will definitely try to flare the heat shield out a little more.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Any accuracy report?

I will get to that soon...
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I tried to do a 100 yard shoot this past weekend for you all but that didn't work out like I wanted as the place I went I don't usually have too much success due to the shooting bench moving around from people walking around and such. I'll try again this weekend for 100 meters hopefully. I can do 50 meters all day long, but I'd like to see how it does out to 100 meters or 100 yards asap
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wicked cool. price?

Got it for MSRP at $1650

Cool.

Now you just need to spend another $1650 and you should be able to load up two or three mags.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any accuracy report?

I will get to that soon...

Quoted:
I tried to do a 100 yard shoot this past weekend for you all but that didn't work out like I wanted as the place I went I don't usually have too much success due to the shooting bench moving around from people walking around and such. I'll try again this weekend for 100 meters hopefully. I can do 50 meters all day long, but I'd like to see how it does out to 100 meters or 100 yards asap

Thanks guys, it'll be neat to see how accurate the gun is, especially as it heats up! It kind of reminds me of the SCAR-Heavy and its light barrel. I'm thinking the gun, with a nice trigger, good ammo, scope, freefloat rail, and good shooter might be able to do say 1.25MOA, but as it heats up, hopefully it will "Stop" around 2MOA.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wicked cool. price?

Got it for MSRP at $1650

Cool.

Now you just need to spend another $1650 and you should be able to load up two or three mags.  

Ain't that the truth?

So my own m&P10 is sitting at my FFL's right now having compliance work done to it. I got it from the EE here

Parts I'm adding + components:
-Rainier arms gas block
-Apex rifle length rail
-Rainier arms Raptor charging handle (got it from joebob outfitters)
-Giessele SSA-E I have left over
-BCM gunfighter grip, Mod 1? (The bigger one )
-Vltor Emod stock (Being pinned)
-Spikes Dynacomp (pinned)
-Atlas Bipod in QD mount (for the range )
-Surefire Fury, in larue mount (For SHTF of course )
-Vickers padded tactical sling, QD
-IWC handstop for apex rail
-SWFA SS3-9x, in larue mount
-I'm not sure if the KAC 45 degree sights will fit on the Apex rail, given where/how they sit on rails, it might not work on the tube. I might have to take my Dueck Defense sights off my "General purpose" carbine and swap the two.

After this, I'm thinking I'm done with the rifle situation for a while. Always wanted a .30cal rifle, and thanks to a guy on the EE here and S&W, I'm making that happen, even in this market, even in this shithole state
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone know off hand whether the M&P-10 uses a 0.625" or 0.750" gas block?  About to order a 15" Apex Gator and low profile gas block...

EDIT:  Nevermind - 0.750"
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone install a upgraded trigger on their M&P10?

If so, how did you get it in there?  

I can't get around the darn anmbi bolt catch release button
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top