Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2012 10:23:03 PM EDT
Other than the differences in weight and the different rails, can anyone help me understand the differences between these two?  Also, anyone have an opinion on the new PredatOBR?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Top rail:  OBR has 20MOA built in, and is continuous... PredatAR has a 0 MOA rail, is not fully continuous.
Barrel:  OBR has a heavier profile
Trigger:  OBR has a Geissele SSA, PredatAR has Geissele 2S2
Gas Block:  OBR has PST, PredatAR has a standard low profile gas block
Weight: OBR is 9.25, PredatAR is 7.75 (16" versions)

you can see a comparison on page 3 of this brochure
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I pretty much already knew those things (they're all on the website), but I'm sure there are others who don't. I should have been more specific with my question, but  THANKS for your help!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
my thoughts on the OBR and its variants are that they are way over priced for what it is, for what they are going for now, you are getting into the HK and Knights pricing area, hell you could get an MWS with optics for about the same as a stripped predatarOBR.  all three systems bring a pretty significant level of innovation to the table.( enhanced bolts, pistons,qd barrels, ect...)

all three choices are much better rifles based on actually test data in addition to actual employment in combat.

if your main concern is accuracy, i suggest taking a look at a GA precision, as they use better barrels and can cut the chamber for what ever round you like, they have over 30 different chamber reamers for 308,  larue has 1. additionally if your interested in long range ballistics you can get a ga precision or LMT MWS in 6.5 or .260 that  will that smoke a 308 long range.

the OBR is nice and all, but it really doesnt have anything on any other 308 AR with match barrel, and Gieselle trigger.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
how do they compare to the colt ,sig 716 & the dpms?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
how do they compare to the colt ,sig 716 & the dpms?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]

they are all good guns, they each have the nich,(piston/use of 556 uppers/price point)

the colt is just making it to market they spent a ton of time developing and getting their product right before bringing it to market so i am sure its a decent weapon.

as for the sig and dpms, the sig is interesting and havent read anything bad on it from what i have read online, one of the key players from HK 416/417 development team left HK to work with Sig on their piston guns.  I'm sure that he brought alot of knowledge about what works and dosnt work with him from HK.

The DPMS is not bad for a base rifle, before everybody and there mother began making 308's there were alot of shops that were building incredibly accurate rifles based off there recievers and BCG's.

right now, there are really no bad 308 AR's on market, you just have to ask yourself what would suit you best, there really are no wrong choices.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank You!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
What is your intended use?  

I am not going to get in to the KAC/LMT/HK/SCAR17 vs OBR debate... well, except maybe to say that KAC has not won the hearts and minds of the services... M110's and Mk11's don't get rave reviews, and the Army didn't sole source the new compact sniper system to them, which they could have if they wanted to... The LMT MWS is not near the rifle as the OBR or PredatAR, IMO... As for HK and SCAR's, for a battle rifle ok, but for a precision gun, piston is not better.  

I would not count on a DPMS gun being sub MOA out of the box... I would out of a GAP-10, but to me you are getting as much or more with the OBR
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#10]
its true that the sr25 has a a checkered past, but looking at what the sr25 is now to what it was when it was first introduced, it has gone through alot of revisions to what it is today.

comparing a comercially availble rifle to a rifle that was accepted as a weapons system for a first world military is almost laughable, your comparing a weapon that has gone through endurace and enviromental testing to a rifle that was on the cover of a video game and in transformers.

the two areas the OBR and predatar excell are accuracy based based off the use of an after market-trigger(LMT actually makes theirs), and the weight of the predatar(which LMT has addressed with the LM8 chasis).  drop in the same trigger and or differnt chasis and that diffence is moot for a 308 to 308 comparison.

balistically the LT's dont even come, a 260/6.5CM/6.5x47 will poop all over a over a 308, thats unless one for some reason likes to dial on double the windage or elavation,

of course a DPMS would not be SUBMOA out of the box, it doesnt ship with a giessel triger thow one in though and a DPMS with gieselle trigger and nighforce will shoot with an OBR all day

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The diff between the Pred and OBR are noted in/on the LaRue website and have been covered pretty well in the above posts..

As a LONG TIME fan of the F FAL rifle/s, I did a LOT of homework before selecting my .308 AR type rifle..
I also work at a very large Gun Shop and as such have access to pretty much anything out there..

FWIW I selected the LaRue OBR (18") and so far i'm thrilled with the rifle.. Mine was ordered back Feb and I've had it about a month or so now.. The gun shoots great, the trigger is crazy good and I would not hesitate one minute to recommend the OBR to someone looking for this type rifle.

That being said CMMG, ROCK RIVER (and others) make very nice .308 rifles well below this price point that may be ideal candidates for many..
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nevermind

Are you speaking technically or in utter exasperation.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
my thoughts on the OBR and its variants are that they are way over priced for what it is, for what they are going for now, you are getting into the HK and Knights pricing area, hell you could get an MWS with optics for about the same as a stripped predatarOBR.  all three systems bring a pretty significant level of innovation to the table.( enhanced bolts, pistons,qd barrels, ect...)

all three choices are much better rifles based on actually test data in addition to actual employment in combat.

if your main concern is accuracy, i suggest taking a look at a GA precision, as they use better barrels and can cut the chamber for what ever round you like, they have over 30 different chamber reamers for 308,  larue has 1. additionally if your interested in long range ballistics you can get a ga precision or LMT MWS in 6.5 or .260 that  will that smoke a 308 long range.

the OBR is nice and all, but it really doesnt have anything on any other 308 AR with match barrel, and Gieselle trigger.

Thank you so much for your extremely insightful response.  You made SEVERAL very good points.  Guess LaRue has move to the maybe list!

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is your intended use?]

That's kind of the problem.  I'd LOVE to get into 3 gun, but have a nerve injury in my leg that limits my ability walk, much less run.  I may get there some day, but who knows.  Then I thought about BR...for about 3 seconds!  Regardless, I know I'll find some other game, so I know I want a precision rifle.  In fact, I ordered a Christensen Arms custom build, precision rifle in .308, but then changed it to 6.5 CM, then back to .308.  I must have changed the barrel length about 4 times.  Finally, I started to feel sorry for the poor sales guy (who NEVER lost his patience with me).  I finally realized that if I was going to spend that kind of $$$$, about 4 grand, I better damn well know exactly what I want and why, so, I just cancelled the order.  I think Brandon, the INCREDIBLY nice and attentive salesman, was actually relieved.  I really like their carbon fiber wrapped, match grade barrels, which are supposedly "state of the art and the best barrels currently available"  (according to a builder showcased on an episode of "American Guns").  BTW, I'd already ordered the rifle before I saw the episode.  I also like that they use nitrite boron instead of chrome and the fact that they're so light weight (I'm a woman).  To be continued...
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive been looking at the lwrc reaper ,larue ,lmt ,as well as colt & sig .the lwrc,larue & lot all seem to be close in price .I haven't seen the price on the sig or colt  yet ? aim wanting mine for hunting & target
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
[I can't add much on the OBR v. PredatAR because I only have the PredatAR.  However, having put 10+ different factory loads through it, I can tell you how it shoots.  With the exception of FGMM 175s, everything else averages under an inch.  I've had a number of groups in the .5s, but the .7" is a fair average when I do my part.  It is particularly fond of Hornady 168 Amax. It also likes the readily available Federal and Remington and 150 soft points.   I'm convinced a better shot could do a little better.  The fit and finish appears flawless. Once I sorted out that it required special tube and buffer, it has performed perfectly (this wasn't Larue's fault but my attempting to use a a buffer with the wrong carbine length tube when I changed over from the A2).  Overpriced?  I'm satisfied and will probably order a matching rifle in 5.56. I know I would order a 6.5 ...  if anyone is listening:)
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[I can't add much on the OBR v. PredatAR because I only have the PredatAR.  However, having put 10+ different factory loads through it, I can tell you how it shoots.  With the exception of FGMM 175s, everything else averages under an inch.  I've had a number of groups in the .5s, but the .7" is a fair average when I do my part.  It is particularly fond of Hornady 168 Amax. It also likes the readily available Federal and Remington and 150 soft points.   I'm convinced a better shot could do a little better.  The fit and finish appears flawless. Once I sorted out that it required special tube and buffer, it has performed perfectly (this wasn't Larue's fault but my attempting to use a a buffer with the wrong carbine length tube when I changed over from the A2).  Overpriced?  I'm satisfied and will probably order a matching rifle in 5.56. I know I would order a 6.5 ...  if anyone is listening:)

6.5 what? Grendel?
I've asked the question to Larue, and was told "no".
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top