Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2010 4:05:10 PM EDT
I just completed the Remington 870 armorers course and I can now purchase one firearm from their product catalog and a big discount.  I'm considering the R25 since I don't own an AR in 308 yet.  I've been told these are camo'd DPMS rifles with 20 inch barrels.  I don't know much about them beyond that.  

Does anyone here own one?  How easy is it to get DPMS 20 round mags for it?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen it, touched it and seemed well made, the dealer however didn't offer/have to much Info on the rifle...It was was in Realtree Camo and it did have a 20" bbl.
I saw it in a Binghamton NY dealer last hunting season...IIRC.

Remington however has been horrible with marketing and distribution of its products of late...likely the worst rifle Remmy has sold/made of late is the 770 bolt action rifle, my bother in law gave me one as a gift and it was the biggest POS modern bolt action rifle I have ever seen.

You can try there website but I don't think it offers much details on the R25 though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, they are built at DPMS. it is a nice hunting rifle, but the camo finish is a little brittle if it hits anything. the finish has attributes like porcelain, its fairly tough, but a sharp impact and it will crack and chip.
nice trigger on them tho.

the DPMS mags are pretty easy to get, but your better off with the Magpul ones.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW I've been discussing getting a .308 AR myself with everyone I can think of, and the general consensus is that Bushmaster is #1 and Mags are more common/ much cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know.   I'm not a Mossy Oak fan, but maybe I could recoat it in coyote brown or some such color?

After some research, it appears this rifle takes the new Magpul 20 round mags.  Can anyone confirm this?

ETA:  If I could get the big discount I'd also go Bushmaster, I'm a big fan.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FWIW I've been discussing getting a .308 AR myself with everyone I can think of, and the general consensus is that Bushmaster is #1 and Mags are more common/ much cheaper.

The Bushmaster, DPMS and Remington R25 are all the same and take the same mags. The earlier Bushy used FAL mags, but no more. The RRA .308 is the older Bushy design.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bushmaster, DPMS and Remington R25 are all the same and take the same mags. The earlier Bushy used FAL mags, but no more. The RRA .308 is the older Bushy design.

That does make sense since they are all owned by the same company.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good to know.   I'm not a Mossy Oak fan, but maybe I could recoat it in coyote brown or some such color?

After some research, it appears this rifle takes the new Magpul 20 round mags.  Can anyone confirm this?

you would be better off getting one in the std coating if you want to get it done in another color. otherwise they would have to sandblast off the camo before they could apply the new color.

yup same mags for Bushy, DPMS and REM and a bunch of others.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Camo finish comes off with Acetone and a little elbow grease.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you would be better off getting one in the std coating if you want to get it done in another color. otherwise they would have to sandblast off the camo before they could apply the new color.

yup same mags for Bushy, DPMS and REM and a bunch of others.

There was a thread on here a while back where a guy stripped the camo off pretty easily with mineral spirits i believe.  It's a normal black rifle underneath the ugly camo job and it did not hurt the finish at all.  He repainted his FDE I think.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, enough hearsay.  I have one.

The trigger is about like a BAR My pop has one of those so I am familiar with it.  The R25 is made by DPMS not Bushmaster.  It uses SR-25 standard mags.  I have had no issues at all with the DPMS 4 round mag that came with my rifle.  I also have a 20rnd PMag and it functions fine also.  In fact the rifle has been 100% reliable after 100rnds through it.  It functioned fine from the first round.

It is a the best shooter in my safe!  Better than my Win. M-70, 270WSM.  I have attached a picture of a target from my first range trip using Hor. Superperformance 150grn SST. 4 Rnds 100yards 1 inch grid on this target.

I just loaded up my first handloads for it, 44.5grn of IMR4895 under a 150grn Accubond.  3 Rnds 100yards (Half inch grid on this target

I got Sub 1 MOA out of Federal Fusion, good but not as good as above.

The finish is Mossy Oak Treestand, it has white under the Camo.  I have strategically placed some black electrical on the brass deflector, along the top of the A2 stock and under the charging handle on the upper to prevent scraping the finish off.  This works fine and is keeping the rifle looking good.

The extractor is TIGHT, I don't think you can shove or rap it hard enough to override the rim and shove the round in the chamber.  If you are doing things by the book and just letting the BCG slam home it has no issues.  I guess you are forced to operate the weapon as designed.  :)

I am upgrading the CH to a Large BCM one to better clear the scope.  

I would give the rifle an A-, downgrades come from the white under the camo, and the trigger (which I will replace, because I like bolt gun triggers).  Upgrades come from me, I like Mossy Oak, Treestand, and IT IS ACCURATE.  As we have all heard the only interesting guns are accurate guns.

$1299 from Sportsman's Warehouse.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Great posts.  I've narrowed down to two choices what I will get from Remington.  Either the R25 or the 700LTR.

Maybe I should add a poll?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have taken the same course and was told the discount DOES NOT apply to guns that are NOT made by REMINGTON.
They call it the R-25 but its not technically a Remington.  You better check with them before you decide, but I would take
the LTR anyway.  The LTR is a very impressive rifle in the right situation.  That being said, I am also looking into the
Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Ultra Mag.  If you want an ultimate hunting gun, then this one is hard to beat.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top