Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2010 10:19:55 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these they want to part with or know where I could find one.  I have a real hankering to build an AR in 19 Badger (30 Carbine necked to 19 cal).  Also, I was wondering if anyone knew what the rim diameter of 30 carbine is compared to .223.  If it isn't compatible, I guess I need a 30 carbine bolt as well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have one of these they want to part with or know where I could find one.  I have a real hankering to build an AR in 19 Badger (30 Carbine necked to 19 cal).  Also, I was wondering if anyone knew what the rim diameter of 30 carbine is compared to .223.  If it isn't compatible, I guess I need a 30 carbine bolt as well.

Thanks

Per "Cartridges of the World" the .223 rim is .378" and the M1 carbine rim is .360". I believe the Oly M1 carbine setup had a special lower designed for the M1 carbine mags. I really don't know if there was a true magblock because it seems the lower was modified so the magazine adapter would fit. Maybe somebody that owns one of those Olys can chime in or show a picture of the setup.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

That is what I thought too, but I e-mailed Oly, and they said it used a standard lower with a mag block adapter and a special mag catch.  It also appears that they have zero interest in making any of these parts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

That is what I thought too, but I e-mailed Oly, and they said it used a standard lower with a mag block adapter and a special mag catch.  It also appears that they have zero interest in making any of these parts.

If they said it was a drop-in for a regular lower than maybe it was the upper that was modified. I can't find a picture of the rifle but I saw one a long time ago and there was some type of metal tab that was between the upper and lower receiver and I would guess it was to hold the magblock in. If a standard lower could be used than the upper would have been notched to be able to close down on these tabs –– I would guess there was one on either side of the receiver. You might be able to find somebody in this world that has one for sale. I would image it's an upper with a magblock –– I think it was called the PCR-30. That way (if you can find one) you would have the bolt, modified upper receiver and the magblock. Best of luck to you!

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
upper was notched, adapter dropped in from top, had lip that rested in lower.  Held one at SHOT 2002 I think it was....
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I found one!  A guy from OA2 got me in touch with a shop in Maryland that had one in stock.  FYI the folks at Gun Rack LTD are great to deal with.  I ran 15 rounds through it to test it out.  It was way too much fun.  Just the right amount of recoil and accurate.  Here are some pics:

One interesting thing I noticed is that the lugs on the bolt are thinner than on a .223 AR as seen in the pic.  I guess this means the barrel extension is also proprietary.  I really like this rifle in 30 carbine.  I wish the shop had two, so I could mod one and keep the other stock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
The luck was with you and nice pictures! This is the first time I've seen one opened up. Just as a test, did you try putting a standard AR bolt/carrier in the M1 carbine upper just to check the barrel extension. Oly may have made to lugs on the M1 bolt a little thiner to slide through the M1 magazine better and keep all the lugs the same size.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top