AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Been in the 6.8 since 2008. Latest is ARP 12 bbl and a NFA(LWRC Six8 clone) receiver set. Using a Dead Air Nomad.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
20 inch Bison SPR barrel
Attachment Attached File

14.7 LWRC  6.8 gas piston upper
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By masterofpew:
Been in the 6.8 since 2008. Latest is ARP 12 bbl and a NFA(LWRC Six8 clone) receiver set. Using a Dead Air Nomad.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152407/20230923_173227_jpg-2963983.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152407/20230923_173212_jpg-2963984.JPG
View Quote

I almost went with the new frontier armory receiver set for my 6.8 but they weren’t readily available when I built mine.  I’ve had no issues using a standard lower and pri magazines, I got 4 Barrett 30 round mags from pk firearms for cheap, I should have bought more.  Have you noticed any benefits using the 6.8 receiver set and Magpul 6.8 mags?  I’ve had no issues using a standard ar15 lower.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#5]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 12:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StillGonnaSendIt] [#7]
Just got this barrel off the EE. Been in the 6.8 master race for a bit but this is the first great barrel I’ve gotten. Blackstone 16” Recon 3R!  Can’t wait to build it up but can’t decide between hunting or hard use gun. I think I may land in the middle and make it multi purpose. No reason the 6.8 can’t be used for both hunting 4 legged critters and patrolling my land.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:09:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: masterofpew] [#8]
Originally Posted By Ossian:

I almost went with the new frontier armory receiver set for my 6.8 but they weren’t readily available when I built mine.  I’ve had no issues using a standard lower and pri magazines, I got 4 Barrett 30 round mags from pk firearms for cheap, I should have bought more.  Have you noticed any benefits using the 6.8 receiver set and Magpul 6.8 mags?  I’ve had no issues using a standard ar15 lower.
View Quote

I do wish it had a forward assist on the upper instead of being a slick side upper. And you do gain another 5 rounds with the Magpul mags.

I've always wanted a LWRC Six8 receiver set, but wasn't willing to drop the $700+ for it. Got the NFA set for CHEAP as it was on sale on their website.

ETA Sold all my PRI mags to fund Magpul 30's and a couple 10 rounds for hunting purposes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
Just got this barrel off the EE. Been in the 6.8 master race for a bit but this is the first great barrel I’ve gotten. Blackstone 16” Recon 3R!  Can’t wait to build it up but can’t decide between hunting or hard use gun. I think I may land in the middle and make it multi purpose. No reason the 6.8 can’t be used for both hunting 4 legged critters and patrolling my land.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/572575/IMG_3716_jpeg-2967113.JPG
View Quote

Blackstone resells ARP barrels from Harrison. You'll be pleased as punch. Mine is a 12.5" 11:1 5R barrel of his.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 6:28:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#10]
Originally Posted By masterofpew:

Blackstone resells ARP barrels from Harrison. You'll be pleased as punch. Mine is a 12.5" 11:1 5R barrel of his.
View Quote

Harrison retired and sold the business to Blackstone. Great barrels.
Edit for pic. I'm not that Eric.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluealtered] [#11]
For those who are still wondering about the new frontier lowers, yes they work. I have been using them many years now and finally wore one of the earlier models out at roughly 3500+ rounds.
Since it had a life time warranty I sent it back to them and they sent me a newer model, no questions asked, no problem.

I just got back into 6.8 because I have a fair amount of 6.8 that I loaded up in 2008 and I got tired of moving it around. I was just going to pull the bullets and decided to just get a complete upper instead and see if H322 is still good after all those years, it is and those rounds shoot just as good as they did then.

PSA has a complete 6.8 upper on sale at the moment and shooting those bullets is hell of a lot more fun than pulling them, ...  And yes the lower I'm using is a new frontier, I have three at the moment. It saves me a half pound of carry weight, and that works for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bluealtered:
For those who are still wondering about the new frontier lowers, yes they work. I have been using them many years now and finally wore one of the earlier models out at roughly 3500+ rounds.
View Quote

What wore out? 🤔
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
It was the top of the pad on the lower where the buffer tube screws into the lower. I simply had charged the rifle so many times that it got worn down enough to crack  on the top of it.
i could still charge the rifle so it wasn't an ol' shit moment, but it was a good chance to see if their warranty was good and it was. This lower was one of their very early ones and it made a customer of me.

The replacement lower they sent me has a thicker pad on top where the charging handle rubs on it and that problem is solved from here on out.
Now on to shooting my new 6.8 upper, using up this old ammo has brought back all the fun I had with the first two 6.8's I had and I'm glad I didn't just pull those bullets.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Bump for a great thread.  I'm sure more 6.8's are out there.

One of my three 6.8's. This build is a USN Z.U.D.U. Mega upper and lower with a Rock River Arms 16" carbine barrel and shares my LaRue TranQuilo suppressor. It has dropped its share of hogs, deer and antelope.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MNhunter:

I'd be a little concerned about throwing the wrong mag in the wrong rifle with such similar set-ups.  Nice builds, just the first thing that popped into my mind.  I've got kids, so I tend to worry about it a bit more.
View Quote

I'd be more concerned with a 5.56 and a 300blk.  I only have pmag40 for the 5.56 and pmag30 for 300blk to keep them straight.

6.8spc case is much larger than 5.56.  zero chance of accidentally chambering it.  no way the bolt could ever go into battery.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

12.5” ARP barrel.
120gr Cavity Back handloads at 2500 at 2.35 COAL using windowed mag.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#17]
boring, but it bangs just fine.  might replace the handguard.  YHM 18" closeout barrel from 3-4 years back, had it threaded.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52686/IMG_1355_jpeg-3162518.JPG

12.5” ARP barrel.
120gr Cavity Back handloads at 2500 at 2.35 COAL using windowed mag.
View Quote

Damn, awesome!

What was the range on that shot?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VeritatisUnus] [#19]
Originally Posted By kc3:

Damn, awesome!

What was the range on that shot?
View Quote

About 35- 40 yards. Scope at 1x and I double tapped him: bam, bam. Hits were about 5-6” apart, all boiler room.

The impacts were loud: WOP WOP!

He made an exhale noise, went down on his front knees, then rolled over, kicked for a few seconds and expired.

Lungs were blown apart.

The interesting thing was how much positive pressure there was in his cavity. As soon as I incised into his abdomen, the amount of air being exhausted was surprising. I have shot and been present during shooting and dressing other elk, and haven’t seen this before. Gallons of blood was in his thoracic cavity. The most I have ever seen.

The Cavity Backs (CB) did not exit and I saw no signs of breaking ribs on the other side. I searched but did not recover the bullets either, they were lost somewhere in his goo of lung matter. I wish I had a metal detector, because I really wanted to study them.

This also surprised me because being a copper mono, CB’s are known for excellent penetration and typically exhibit a triangular exit wound, correspondent to their three petal design. However, in this case, that was not the case. I don’t know if they blew up or what happened since I couldn’t find the bullets, but tissue destruction was great.

Something to consider is that Fackler-ites/ballistic gel Heads, dismiss pressure/energy transfer as a wounding mechanism. However, my experiences (and others) with shooting living things disagree with that assertion. This elk’s lungs popped like a water balloon. The experiences written Here align with my observations of shot game.

Lastly, would I recommend everyone take a 6.8 SBR after elk? No. I know this area well and knew with 100% certainty that my shot would be within 100 yards and likely closer… think bow range. Combined with my confidence in my skill level, I had zero qualms about my weapon choice. However, I would not recommend this for others, especially for those who are on a “travel out west” elk hunt. This area is my proverbial backyard and I knew exactly what I was getting into.

ETA: My hunting partner shot a similar sized bull two days prior to mine. About 50ish yards with a 150gr Accubond out of a 308. Broadside, double lung, with about a 1”-ish exit. That elk ran at least 100 yards before he went down. The wounding on my bull was much more extreme.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]

About 35- 40 yards. Scope at 1x and I double tapped him: bam, bam. Hits were about 5-6” apart, all boiler room.

He made an exhale noise, went down on his front knees, then rolled over, kicked for a few seconds and expired.

Lungs were blown apart.

The interesting thing was how much positive pressure there was in his cavity. As soon as I incised into his abdomen, the amount of air being exhausted was surprising. I have shot and been present during shooting and dressing other elk, and haven’t seen this before. Gallons of blood was in his thoracic cavity. The most I have ever seen.

The Cavity Backs (CB) did not exit and I saw no signs of breaking ribs on the other side. I searched but did not recover the bullets either, they were lost somewhere in his goo of lung matter. I wish I had a metal detector, because I really wanted to study them.

This also surprised me because being a copper mono, CB’s are known for excellent penetration and typically exhibit a triangular exit wound, correspondent to their three petal design. However, in this case, that was not the case. I don’t know if they blew up or what happened since I couldn’t find the bullets, but tissue destruction was great.

Something to consider is that Fackler-ites/ballistic gel Heads, dismiss pressure/energy transfer as a wounding mechanism. However, my experiences (and others) with shooting living things disagree with that assertion. This elk’s lungs popped like a water balloon. The experiences written Here align with my observations of shot game.

Lastly, would I recommend everyone take a 6.8 SBR after elk? No. I know this area well and knew with 100% certainty that my shot would be within 100 yards and likely closer… think bow range. Combined with my confidence in my skill level, I had zero qualms about my weapon choice. However, I would not recommend this for others, especially for those who are on a “travel out west” elk hunt. This area is my proverbial backyard and I knew exactly what I was getting into.

ETA: My hunting partner shot a similar sized bull two days prior to mine. About 50ish yards with a 150gr Accubond out of a 308. Broadside, double lung, with about a 1”-ish exit. That elk ran at least 100 yards before he went down. The wounding on my bull was much more extreme.
View Quote

They cant blow up.
They could loose petals at that close distance.
However the damage when that happens is intense as you saw.
Was there any bleeding on the far side of the animal?
From your description they dumped all their energy into the animal.
Thats the same thing I saw when first testing CBB. Liquified the chest cavity with lung shots.
Cant argue with a DRT.
Nice work!!

Robert CBB
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Lungs were blown apart.

View Quote

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the info.

I've never hunted. Is it common to get that close to elk?

6.8 pic thread:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SPTiger] [#23]
So the 6.8 SPC isn't dead? I have a 12.5" 6.8 SBR that I built back in 2014, but I haven't loaded any ammo or even fired a round of 6.8 in a few years. I've got tons of unopened bags of SSA 6.8 brass and a buttload of bullets in that caliber too. I used to love to deer hunt with that round. 120 grain Hornady SSTs were one of the bullets I used for whitetail, and it worked quite well from what I remember.

Here’s a pic of my 12.5” SBR in its unsuppressed configuration:

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top