Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 9:08:25 PM EDT
BCG, chrome vs. nickel boron vs. manganese phosphate?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the NiB. Reasonable price and great performance. No experience with the other two.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
AIM nitride. 89.95 delivered.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Im partial to chrome BCGs. I have a NiB as well in one of my rifles but I don't have enough rounds through it yet to be completely sold on it. Lots of "claimed" coating failures with NiB that I haven't really heard about with chrome carriers. Phosphate carriers are still running strong too. Don't get too caught up in the latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im partial to chrome BCGs. I have a NiB as well in one of my rifles but I don't have enough rounds through it yet to be completely sold on it. Lots of "claimed" coating failures with NiB that I haven't really heard about with chrome carriers. Phosphate carriers are still running strong too. Don't get too caught up in the latest and greatest.
View Quote
Do any bcg finishes reduce wear and tear on the upper? If so by how much? I was also wondering if you can scrape carbon off of the new finishes without damaging them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked NiB. Then I tried nitride. I now use nitride and my NiB and phosphate BCGs are in the spare parts bin.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do any bcg finishes reduce wear and tear on the upper? If so by how much? I was also wondering if you can scrape carbon off of the new finishes without damaging them.
View Quote
I have a M16 with a chrome Colt bolt carrier group in it that is over 50 years old and it probably has had over 100K rounds through it and it still shoots fine and show little signs of major wear.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Phosphate carriers are Chrome lined inside the bolt housing.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Toolcraft nitride.

Get here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for nitride bcg's, they're all I use now. My fav is the AIM v2.

Tomac
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread would greatly benefit from a poll.

That being said, I once owned a chromed BCG which I liked but didn't own it long enough to realize it's durability, or lack of, to have a firm decision.
All of mine are manganese phosphate.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This thread would greatly benefit from a poll.
View Quote
Good idea.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm  probably going with Toolcraft. Now it's a question of which Toolcraft and from who.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
And while I am sure the Toolcraft bcg's are good, I seem to recall in the Henderson Defense thread he stated Colt and Daniel Defense bcg's were giving him the most service life.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm  probably going with Toolcraft. Now it's a question of which Toolcraft and from who.
View Quote
I think Monmouth Reloading has the best prices usually.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Nib works well for me. The bolt is smooth functioning and cleaning is very easy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#16]
My 50+ Year old Colt/Armalite Hard Chromed bolt carrier with an insane amount of rounds on it, that still looks brand new say's Hard Chrome is best.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Toolcraft nitride.

Get here.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have BCGs in all of them.  I prefer, in order from favorite to least, NiB, chromed, Nitride, phosphate.

I have never had a problem with any of them but find the NiB and chromed clean up so much easier and are visually easier to see if they are clean than the black nitride and phosphated BCG.  The phosphated are harder to clean and seem to need more lube to operate as smoothly as the others.  All will work just fine though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have BCGs in all of them.  I prefer, in order from favorite to least, NiB, chromed, Nitride, phosphate.

I have never had a problem with any of them but find the NiB and chromed clean up so much easier and are visually easier to see if they are clean than the black nitride and phosphated BCG.  The phosphated are harder to clean and seem to need more lube to operate as smoothly as the others.  All will work just fine though.
View Quote
Quoted for truth.  I have NiB, nitride, and phosphate.  All are from well-respected original manufacturers, not rebranded from third party vendors.  This is really not a component to cheap out on.  Each has its benefits and each has disadvantages.  

I prefer NiB for extreme operating environment where dirt, water, mud, sand might get into the action or where lube might not be present or available.  NiB has the highest lubricity (slipperiness) and cleans up easiest.  I chose WMD guns version.  Just wipes clean.

My nitride BCG is QPQ SN treated from Toolcraft.  It cleans as easily as the NiB but not quite as slippery.  It is super hard and corrision resistant.  It will probably have a longer service life, but might not run as reliably in dirt, sand, mud and such.

My phosphate BCG came from Spikes Tactical.  Fully mil spec. It needs to be run wet, but should last a long time if kept properly lubed.  It is harder to keep clean and needs some scraping sometimes, especially the bolt tail.  I am now reserving it for a backup role.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Toolcraft nitride.

Get here.
View Quote
That is the route I took. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Hard Chrome is awfully hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes they will reduce wear compared to phosphate steel.  Lubricity (slipperiness) is the reason.  The better the coefficient of friction (lower) the less friction of surface against surface.  Quantifying it would be hard.

As to carbon build up, my NiB made by WMD just wipes off.  Carbon is not sticking.  My Toolcraft nitride BCG is almost as good, but takes a little more work on the tail.  I use an Otis BONE for this.  The hardened surface will not be damaged by a scraping tool.   Phosphate - a lot of scraping
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Prefer Nickle Teflon, then Ion Bond. So none on your list. Have melonite stainless and they are OK. Have milspec phosphate and chrome and also OK. Making Ni/Bor or Ni/PTFE perfectly clean requires Flitz and bow grease and makes them shine. I find that mildly annoying. Ion Bond wears less than melonite... almost not at all. It's easier to hide insignificant carbon. It's less garish.

Had chrome in the past. Little wear, does not require Flitz, but not as easy to clean as others. Still easier than phosphate.

Still buy 50% phosphate Toolcraft due to cost. Works perfectly fine. While it requires more oil, it holds oil better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Chrome is the best.  Thousands of rounds and it still looks new.  So easy to clean, just wipe it right off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And while I am sure the Toolcraft bcg's are good, I seem to recall in the Henderson Defense thread he stated Colt and Daniel Defense bcg's were giving him the most service life.
View Quote
yes but he said bolts not bolt carrier groups
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And while I understand that one is a component of the other, do you understand what the major wear item is here?  

I get it, gas keys can come loose and leak.   None the less the emphasis is on the bolt being the major wear item.  

But ok you have a made a valid point I suppose.  (I did not go back and look to see if he consistently specified bolts only, giving you the benefit of the doubt)
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top