Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 11:31:50 PM EDT
Like the title says, I Just got a Faxon 16" 223 Wylde Flame Fluted barrel-
With the word 'Match' in the name, I was expecting a heavy bull style barrel and was snap to see it came as a lighter contour.
Only by their reputation did I not send it back.
My build is not done yet- (waiting on paint), so I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this barrel and what results can i expect?

Thanks
SS
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I am looking for a barrel for an upper and it will be a Faxon. They make some damn good shit for barrels. And the one you have a question about I bet it is more accurate than you are which from my research is why I am looking at Faxon yet I am looking at a 20". Faxon is a site sponsor and if you have questions about their quality post it on their sponsor forum.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Have had excellent results from my 16" gunner on my Recce build.  My next barrel will be an 18" Socom for a lightweight SPR
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
You have one of the new 'Match Grade' barrels from Faxom. Supposed to be even more accurate than the rest of the Faxon line, so it should be real impressive.

The .223 Wylde is the first of the Match line. The next barrel in the series is the 6.5 Grendel in 20", as soon as the 18" Grendel comes out I'm ordering one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are some great looking 10 shot groups MRW, I noticed we use the same software to analyze targets.

I agree with what everyone has said. It is a beauty to look at- everything about it looks first class and what everyone says about Faxon barrels is why I bought one in the first place.
I had decided to try and build a lighter 16" with the accuracy of my cryogenized bull barreled upper. I've wanted to try a Wylde chamber for some time and was also looking for straight flutes to help with weight. I have other 5.56 and .223 uppers but this will be my first Wylde and first fluted barrel. When I saw this one I immediately liked the look and the price at "Integrity Arms (aka CustomAR15 dotnet)" was unmatched anywhere else I could find plus they answered my email on July 4th !! When it arrived I was surprised to see it wasn't a full bull contour with flutes, however I am confident it will be as indicated, more accurate than I am... since I'm currently working on adding solar to my house, I have put the AR painting project on the side burner so, was just wondering if anyone else had tried this barrel out and what their results were. After I break in the barrel I'll have to load up some heavier bullets to try at 300, and of course post the results..

SS
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Indeed we are happy to help anytime.

For us, "Match" is not about just making a heavy profile bench gun - frankly that's just boring. We look at it as adding capabilities across the entire gamut of barrels - namely 5R, 416-R Stainless, Wylde chambers, etc.

You will even see "Match" pencil barrels down the road.
View Quote
Based upon my favorable experience with the 18" Gunner and 18" medium profile .308 barrels in my race guns, as soon as there's an 18" Match Gunner available I'll be building a new 3-Gun rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate you comments RogueNathan... The first thing that came to mind when I read 'match' was "full contour" (like many other vendors offer)... My wife keeps accusing me of still living in the 70's and this may be one case when she's right (but don't tell her that). Don't get me wrong, I am not disappointed, i welcome the increased accuracy from lighter weight barrels, That was one of my design goals...  (when you're going 'out' every ounce counts). I just didn't know they had arrived yet.  Am looking forward to punching some paper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I appreciate you comments RogueNathan... The first thing that came to mind when I read 'match' was "full contour" (like many other vendors offer)... My wife keeps accusing me of still living in the 70's and this may be one case when she's right (but don't tell her that). Don't get me wrong, I am not disappointed, i welcome the increased accuracy from lighter weight barrels, That was one of my design goals...  (when you're going 'out' every ounce counts). I just didn't know they had arrived yet.  Am looking forward to punching some paper.
View Quote
Please update when you get it out to the range.  I haven't seen any accuracy results from these yet and am very interested in purchasing one
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently put a 16" flame fluted 416R on my 3 gun rifle and was surprised to be getting just over an inch with CBC m193 55grn.  3 of the 5 rounds touching, and that was with a 1-6 scope and a geislee 3gun trigger.   Now I'm curious to see what it would do with a better scope and target setup lower with some 75grn match handloads.

On the same trip I was continuing to test another very nice barrel from a high end site sponsor that can't seem to decide if it wants to shoot 1/2" or 3" groups.  That day it was all 3" groups.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We're thrilled to see the results of the first barrel.

On the second, while we are not experts on others barrels, our experience shows inconsistencies such as that listed points to an external accuracy issue like optics, barrel/receiver fitment, etc.
View Quote
I really appreciate that.  I called the manufacturer and asked them about it and got the same answer.

What is crazy is that there is no pattern to the bad groups.  It's not throwing a couple rounds, it throws all of them.  If the group starts off good the rest of the rounds will be in it. If it starts bad it only gets worse.  Barrel temperature or ammo doesn't seem to matter.  Clean or fouled doesn't matter.

Things I've changed.

changed scope and mounts.
changed handgaurd from a slim free float to an old dpms ff.
changed gas tube and gas block.
Swapped bolt carriers.
Changed muzzle devices then went to just a thread protector.
Swapped lowers.
Squared the receiver,  

The only part I haven't swapped out is the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have not but that would make sense.

**Update. There is nice arching scratch that you can feel with your fingernail.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I will be buying more of your barrels.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Hurried thru the paint and got it assembled... now to see what optics I can rob off another gun so I can go test this gal
The lower was an 80%, Upper is Aero P. Other parts are what was laying around. Stark grip is new...will do touch up later.
Now to find a dry day for the range- forecast is for rain the next week

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Looking good! Hopefully the rain holds up and you can post up some range results
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top