Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 3:39:50 PM EDT
Bought my daughter a Radical Arms AR last year for a gift.....
No it is not the highest of quality but, I have owned or built half dozen Uppers from them so, I figured at under $500 buck shipped "what the heck".
It is a good looking lightweight AR, I do like the looks once I got rid of the GI stock.

It shot great the first few hundred rounds no issues on the first 2 range trips.
The third trip we noticed the gas block shifted out a bit and needed lok tite and tightened down.

Once we got that tightened up, I was hoping we were out of the woods...... Nope.
This was our 6th Range trip with this AR and about 100 degrees with high humidity while my daughter ripped thru about 4 mags before FAILURE.
As soon as she told what the rifle was doing, I had a feeling I knew what it was from watching Rob Ski test on youtube with a Radical.
Quickly pulled the upper off and just what I thought:

"What the Heck"

Luckily, I had a FailZero NiB BCG in my range bag for a spare..... and she was once again busting steel at 150yds.
I emailed Radical, not sure what their response will be the rifle is a year old but, was hitting 600 round mark when it failed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Why anyone would buy Radical when PSA exists is beyond me.

And is it not kind of poor businesss practices for retailers to even offer them?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Radical arms, another failure... its... radical.

There are a lot of good guns going for so low right now, hopefully more threads like this keep folks from taking risks on relatively unknown, or worse, bad reputation, companies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
This was bought when nothing was under $500 and it was also bought on whim to try it out......
I am a tester and tinker'er by hobby and by trade as I worked on the Army MHS trials.
You win some you lose some; None are perfect.

But, I would not recommend them against other brands that are now at the same price point for sure.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
A present to you from Radical made of the highest quality chi-com parts available.  Please don't try to remove the flash hider as your barrel extension will likely unscrew too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was bought when nothing was under $500 and it was also bought on whim to try it out......
I am a tester and tinker'er by hobby and by trade as I worked on the Army MHS trials.
You win some you lose some; None are perfect.

But, I would not recommend them against other brands that are now at the same price point for sure.
View Quote
PSA has had options for similar, but you have to pop the upper and lower pins in.

Companies like Primary Arms should stop selling RF junk.

Or not. Idc.  Sucks when noobs get tricked into junk, tho.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is that what drove you to get the P07? Dropping a claim like that is sure to garner a lot of attention around here. Any details you can share?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry.

That sucks...

I know a couple of people at work who paid less getting the Radical than I spend on my Palmettos...

Mike keep chugging along without failure or issue.   Theirs...  Not anything close...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry.

That sucks...

I know a couple of people at work who paid less getting the Radical than I spend on my Palmettos...

Mike keep chugging along without failure or issue.   Theirs...  Not anything close...
View Quote
We will keep shooting it till and see what happens....

We are blessed to have many other rifles and the ability to not miss the $$$ we spent on it.
I got a Stag 8T that I did not clean for the first year and 2.5k rounds; no failures at all.
Hell, I have shot a Keltec pistol till the sights fell off and the frame cracked before we chucked it ha-ha.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You were warned.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is that what drove you to get the P07? Dropping a claim like that is sure to garner a lot of attention around here. Any details you can share?
View Quote
I am REALLY liking the P07.... alot.

Details...... you mean about the MHS? No I cant really give details (signed NDA) but, I can say I was happy with the outcome; the Sig did well.
Glock fan boys are mad but, most have no clue about the trials.
I think the Army (and others) will be fine with it.
I just wish they would hurry up and get em fielded to the units, the cost to rebuild a M9 is almost as much one off the shelf.
The whole MHS process was way too much $$$ and too much time though but, then again it is the GOV.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the gas port diameter like? Curious if "radically" overgassed or just shitty critical component.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good to hear, especially considering it sounds like you've got some experience with above average testing procedures.

I've got my eyes on a P07 and P09 pair to replace some Springfield XDMs that i'm too disgusted with to continue using. Hopefully you have better luck with the P07 than your radical.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
One guy had issues with the gas block getting loose like you showed.  With the Free float forearm, he had to take that off to get to the gas block.

Another had his barrel extension come loose...

I've seen the issue with the bolt cam pin failure too...

I wished they were doing better.  They are made in Stafford (suburb of Houston) so I'm always cheering for the Home Team any chance I get...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Details...... you mean about the MHS? No I cant really give details (signed NDA) but, I can say I was happy with the outcome; the Sig did well.
Glock fan boys are mad but, most have no clue about the trials.
I think the Army (and others) will be fine with it.
I just wish they would hurry up and get em fielded to the units, the cost to rebuild a M9 is almost as much one off the shelf.
The whole MHS process was way too much $$ and too much time though but, then again it is the GOV.
View Quote
According to Chris Bartocci they didn't even complete the last part of the MHS testing to compare the high round count issues of either gun, they basically just picked the cheaper one. Is this true? Check it his YouTube video on it
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

According to Chris Bartocci they didn't even complete the last part of the MHS testing to compare the high round count issues of either gun, they basically just picked the cheaper one. Is this true? Check it his YouTube video on it
View Quote
No program is perfect.... especially the GOV but, I didn't see him there at Industry Day or during the trials.
Glock lost for a reason, Sig won for a reason; Some will like it some will hate it.
I for one am glad it is over and am waiting for em to be fielded.
We just turned in 400 M9s to be rebuilt; now that is a bill you want to pay.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a DPMS cam pin fail several years ago, it was a hard chromed one.

After that I switched all of my "Serious" AR's to Colt cam pins.
View Quote
Yea, I am gonna but a new pin....
I won't stick another Radical part in it even if they send me one (if they answer my email or call back).
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]
What a surprise.  Radical strikes again.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its a broken record on here honestly.
The company makes shit guns.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Broken cam pin could have been much worse, even dangerous. Without a way for the bolt to rotate/lock, if a round was able to be chambered and fired because the broken piece of cam pin got out of the way that would be a really, really bad day. Luckily that didn't kaboom
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Core15 sells rifles at Rural King.  Our local rural king stopped stocking them.  Constant customer returns and complaints.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#24]
PA has some radical uppers sans BCG and CH for $189...
I picked one up and figure the upper and 15" rail is worth that. I wouldn't cry if I need to rebarrel it or swap gas blocks at that price. Went with an Anderson BCG and lower to see just how cheap I can get away with for a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh, it's a cam pin. Not a huge (or expensive) deal. Drop a better one in there and rock on. As for the gas block, that is common with LOTS of manufacturers since they cheap out and don't dimple the barrel for the gas block set screws. Even then, I don't trust dimpling and do pin all my gas blocks.

Even Rob Ski will tell you he still ran that Radical rifle WAY longer than that test (after dropping in a new BCG, even though it really only needed a cam pin).
I don't own a Radical (only PSA and Frankenstein builds), but I wouldn't be TOO worried about running one (just replace some small parts: Cam pin, FP, maybe a complete bolt).
Don't beat yourself up over that purchase. It's a VERY low cost fix to an already low cost rifle. For a bargain rifle, I'd say that's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#26]
That stinks, sorry to hear of the problems.  

On a good note it gives your daughter a chance to trouble shoot minor problems, know and see how failures/issues feel, and get to repair them with "Dad".  
Her knowledge is increasing, self reliance as well as her memories with you.

Stinks it's having issues but it's time, training, and knowledge for her.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought it was something worst. A cam pin broke. Not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#28]
@OP sent you a PM! Our products have a lifetime warranty, we'll get you fixed up and back on the range ASAP!

-Radical Firearms
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:59:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Meh, it's a cam pin. Not a huge (or expensive) deal. Drop a better one in there and rock on. As for the gas block, that is common with LOTS of manufacturers since they cheap out and don't dimple the barrel for the gas block set screws. Even then, I don't trust dimpling and do pin all my gas blocks.

Even Rob Ski will tell you he still ran that Radical rifle WAY longer than that test (after dropping in a new BCG, even though it really only needed a cam pin).
I don't own a Radical (only PSA and Frankenstein builds), but I wouldn't be TOO worried about running one (just replace some small parts: Cam pin, FP, maybe a complete bolt).
Don't beat yourself up over that purchase. It's a VERY low cost fix to an already low cost rifle. For a bargain rifle, I'd say that's not bad at all.
View Quote
I think they don't stake or lock tight the gas block because a lot of people want to change parts down the road. Whenever I get a new upper with a low pro gas block the first thing I do after I test fire it is apply red lock tight, crank the screws down tight and stake them with a center punch.
Kudos to radical firearms for reaching out to help. I have your 16" 7.62x39 fgs upper and it's been good to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One guy had issues with the gas block getting loose like you showed.  With the Free float forearm, he had to take that off to get to the gas block.

I wished they were doing better. They are made in Stafford (suburb of Houston) so I'm always cheering for the Home Team any chance I get...
View Quote
That would explain why Primary Arms pimps their shit so hard.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Howdy Everyone!

We have addressed the OP's issue internally, and will definitely be getting him back on the range ASAP. As for the BCG, that is one of the few parts we source... That being said we are in no way trying to pass the blame, we take full responsibility for supplied parts and have changed vendors to help alleviate any BCG issues. We are a family owned and operated company so we definitely want everyone to enjoy using our products without any worries. If ever an issue does arise with one of our uppers, rifles or AR pistols then please be aware that we do offer a lifetime warranty on our parts. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact us directly: [email protected] or if you have any issues please contact: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Radical Firearms LLC
"American Made, Texas Proud!"
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Howdy Everyone!

We have addressed the OP's issue internally, and will definitely be getting him back on the range ASAP. As for the BCG, that is one of the few parts we source... That being said we are in no way trying to pass the blame, we take full responsibility for supplied parts and have changed vendors to help alleviate any BCG issues. We are a family owned and operated company so we definitely want everyone to enjoy using our products without any worries. If ever an issue does arise with one of our uppers, rifles or AR pistols then please be aware that we do offer a lifetime warranty on our parts. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact us directly: [email protected] or if you have any issues please contact: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Radical Firearms LLC
View Quote
I did get your email...
I do not wish to mail in the Upper, I have tightened the gas block myself and put a FailZero NiB BCG in he rifle and it is shooting fine.
I did state that I would send in the broken cam pin and the BCG for replacement.

Thank you for your reply on here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I did get your email...
I do not wish to mail in the Upper, I have tightened the gas block myself and put a FailZero NiB BCG in he rifle and it is shooting fine.
I did state that I would send in the broken cam pin and the BCG for replacement.

Thank you for your reply on here.
View Quote
Not a problem! We'll get your BCG squared away!

- Radical Firearms LLC
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#34]
cant argue with service like that.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We are a family owned and operated company ....
View Quote
After working for several of these types of companies in my life, I found this marketing phrase doesn't mean squat. Some families are really screwed up and when they run a company, it's equally screwed up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

After working for several of these types of companies in my life, I found this marketing phrase doesn't mean squat. Some families are really screwed up and when they run a company, it's equally screwed up.
View Quote
While I am aware there are some family dynamics that don't work, we definitely have a great well rounded crew that would do anything for each other.

Radical Firearms
"American Manufacturing, Texas Proud!"
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't read too much into it - breaking bolt cam pins are the most common failure with the AR platform.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wouldn't read too much into it - breaking bolt cam pins are the most common failure with the AR platform.
View Quote
That is somewhat true but it's just another thing to add to the list of why not to buy Radicall uppers.  Why people keep buying them is beyond me.  They get one thing addressed and something new pops up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why anyone would buy Radical when PSA exists is beyond me.

And is it not kind of poor businesss practices for retailers to even offer them?
View Quote
This. I own probably a dozen PSA based rifles, bought for the same kind of money as the Radical posted here, and while I have had a few issues, none of them were serious functional ones.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wished they were doing better.  They are made in Stafford (suburb of Houston) so I'm always cheering for the Home Team any chance I get...
View Quote
I stopped cheering for my "Home Team". Maybe you should too?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't trust them for defensive rifles yet but my RF 7.62x39 upper is well worth the $200 I paid at AIM. The extractor is the only thing that broke and that was an AIM bcg. I'm not stopping all orders from them for one part and they took care of the problem like they always have. Seems RF has similar CS.

Worst case, if you're buying it for a hobby/range gun, just disassemble or recheck all torque values.  OP seems to have a decent gun for his girl to plink steel. I think he should try the replacement bcg and let us know how that holds for the next 1k.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:52:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Being around since '14 and you didn't get the memo on RF?????  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:18:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
* snort, I would take what that bitter colt ex employee says with a grain of salt. He's not the most reliable witness
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
While I am aware there are some family dynamics that don't work, we definitely have a great well rounded crew that would do anything for each other.

Radical Firearms
"American Manufacturing, Texas Proud!"
View Quote
I wonder if the quality of your prouducts is any indication of the family dynamics. Or how about the fact that the company was too cheap buy advertising on this forum and got caught shilling serval times. Interesting family dynamic.

It's such a black eye for Texas that these crappy rifles are made in my home state.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#45]
A cam pin is a $5 part that's easily swapped at the range, if no other damage was done the OP got off lucky.

I have an RF barreled upper with an AIM bcg that's run fine for me so far, but I'm also not kidding myself by thinking it's as well built as my BCM upper.

I wouldn't expect much from RF's customer service based on what I've read but I'd at least give them a chance to make it right.  Mailing you a replacement cam pin shouldn't be much to ask.

But if good customer service for el cheapo AR parts is what you expect then PSA, Anderson or Bear Creek are better options.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#46]
RF needs to do something about their QC.  Maybe look for a new supplier, maybe retrain some people, idk but other companies are producing rifles at a similar price point that aren't having these issues.  What gets me is all of the assembly problems.  Its not that hard to assemble an AR so all of these parts coming loose is mind boggling to me.  They seem like good people from what i have seen on this thread, but I hope they can take a look in the mirror and ask themselves if they are truly proud of the products they put out or if they are happy just getting by on the uninformed buyer.  You aren't doing anyone any favors by saving them money on a rifle that can't be counted on.  Good luck... kinda feel bad about being negative after they were so helpful here but I think it is something that needs to be emphasized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top