Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 12:19:17 AM EDT
Nearing the finishline for my first AR-15, still need a gas block (and other parts, but im just waiting for possible July 4 sales to see if anything I want gets cheaper.) I was looking into the Superlative arms gas blocks back when I was planning on a piston rifle, and still felt like sticking with their impingement gas blocks. I am interested in buying a suppressor eventually.

So, im curious if anyone has any practical experience with them, if they are worth the money to buy, or if Im better off with a basic gas block like one from Faxon (which would fit with the barrel im buying.)

Also, as of right now, damn near every place is out of these damn gas blocks, so its also a question of if its worth the wait for one, or if I should buy a cheap block until it is in stock again (if it is actually worth buying.)

And... as an afterthought, does it really matter if its the clamp on or solid?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The SupArmsgas block works as advertised but my only experience is with my 308. Even without the bleed off, it is a better design with adjustment not being fouled like most adjustable gas blocks. The OdinWorks one is nice also with Inconel adjustment screw. I personally won't put one on any gun I would consider for hd/sd use, that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up an SLR Sentry 6 (.625") clamp on in new condition off of EE to build a 14.5" Faxon Gunner based SBR.

I was worried about the short dwell time with the mid length gas and 14.5" length. Based on what joshv06 wrote, it sounds like maybe I didn't need the adjustable gas block.

I rarely shoot unsuppressed anymore but usually set up an adjustable block so the rifle shoots the weakest ammo I use reliably unsuppressed and then leave it.

I will say the 11.5" Faxon Gunner needs an adjustable block. And is the most sensitive barrel I have to gas block adjustments. It is not a barrel where you can set the block up for minimal gas unsuppressed and shoot suppressed, you have to choose.

JPK
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
SA block is great, I highly recmend it in clamp on flavor.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a HUGE SLR Sentry 7 fan. It works flawlessly on my 308 (7 clicks out on Faxon 16" middy) with 7.62 Nato. Just one simple 2mm allen head in the front. Uses a side leaf spring for click adjustments. No ball bearings, no coil springs. Super simple, and EASY to adjust (I use an 8" 2mm from the front, so I don't ever remove the handguard.
You just missed a DSG sale on them, they had the set screw model (the only version I'll use, since I pin all my gas blocks. Added bonus that these have the flat/divot for self pinning) on sale for $90 something, but you can find them for $114 all day long (and well worth THAT too).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top