Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2017 7:00:56 PM EDT
Just a bit of info.

I am currently in possession of a Criterion Hybrid Barrel that has been jacketed.

The product is a very interesting piece of kit.

The Straight Jacket system was applied over the criterion after it was turned down to a pencil profile and then a sleeve and media was put between the sleeve and the barrel. This media is claimed to wick heat away from the thin steel barrel and extend barrel life by keeping the steel cooler. A typical test TT asks a shooter to do is to put their finger in the chamber. Indeed I was able to put my pinky finger in the chamber after a 40 round string.

Supposedly, it is 600% IIRC stiffer than a conventional barrel and offers around 7x the life of a conventional barrel IIRC.

I have a grouping which is interesting, but nothing conclusive at the moment. In short, I believe I am the weakest link in the barrels potential performance. Those flyers, If excluded, equate to a 7 round group of .62 MOA. As is necessary I included the data for the full 10 round group.

It currently sits with a fixed power 10x, but a 15x optic would have been nice for the testing, but I do not have such glass available at the moment. A machine rest would be ideal for additional testing.

The six round group above fits inside of a dime with room to spare.

The CEO literally said I could turn around and use this as a LMG type rifle, and then shoot it as a SPR without any change to the configuration. The barrel won't burn according to TT. Needless to say this will be the hardest thing to test as I don't have an unlimited supply of XM193 to test the claims of 7x the barrel life.  

Cal Zant noted some interesting heat characteristics in Bryan Litz modern advancments vol 2 and under FLIR it did indeed remain the coolest barrel tested. Cold to warm bore drift was also minimal.

Just wanted to share some early info on the kit. I am going to obtain a thermocouple and probe to measure heat in the bore and external to the bore and we will compare to a modern barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top