Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 6:58:10 PM EDT
I picked one up for a Navy sopmod 727/M4 A2 clone build and it clears the "big button" forward assist!  I'm sending it in to get a coating of Cerakote Elite. Until I can find the correct Colt lower it's going to be plastic. Got it cheap and cerakote is cheap and I'm going to beat the hell out of it, to test both the coating and lower.  :)

The Tegra Arms AR-15 carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer lower is the strongest ever made. It is
manufactured with the highest and most advanced carbon fiber
construction on the market. This will be the perfect lower for your
AR-15 build to make it extremely light and incredibly durable. We have a
lifetime warranty on our lowers to back that up.
  • Unmatched strength and durability
  • The most technologically ground breaking lower on the market
  • Extremely durable with carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer construction.
  • Accepts all MIL SPEC and standard AR-15 parts and upper receivers
  • Made in the USA.
  • Lifetime warranty on all our lowers, no questions asked
  • Less than half the weight of an aluminum lower
  • Weighs only 3.65 ounces
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah...

fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
NOPE.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah fuck it!   I'm going to see what's up with these things. Everything other than the lower is Colt. I've got a two position tube, fiberlite buttstock, A2 upper, M4 barrel, Colt LPK, and a fancy Colt coated FC..  I'll report my findings...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Did a mock up:  I didn't baby the build.  I was surprised how rugged the bolt catch pin arms were. I just hammered away at the pin with the normal amount of force. (I use a small hammer, NRA membership card to prevent hitting the lower with the hammer, and brass rod to seat the pin).  I had to shave a half a millimeter off the front end flashing that didn't get milled down enough.  Also a note: the Colt grip screw was way too long for the Tegra Arms lower. (I used a Magpul screw I had lying around)  But my LPK is the older Colt Defense and it has some minor variations versus the new LPK's. It's pretty damn solid, and light. It's all Colt except the Tegra Arms lower and Magpul grip screw..

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah...

fuck that shit.
View Quote

This here!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep us posted! I wanna see how it holds up. What's the price tag on one of these?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep us posted! I wanna see how it holds up. What's the price tag on one of these?
View Quote
They retail for $79 shipped to your ffl, they arrange the fax of the ffl for you if you don't have a digital copy of your ffl (you can upload it easily on their website) .  They periodically have sales for half  price.  I will report.  I plan on running it through its paces.  If it breaks I will post photos. I have to say while it does feel like plastic, it is tough stuff.  I had no problems installing the bolt catch split pin and it was a tight fit in what appears to be two very small plastic arms.  I have seen aluminum break here and on the trigger guard.  It's polyester reinforced carbon polymer. So having worked with high end poly in manufacturing or a brief period of time,  if it doesn't have a molding defect from the factory it's likely to be pretty robust.  Some of our specially blended plastic was incredibly strong.  This Tegra stuff is a whole new level of strength.   I'd love to see Magpul do one in their awesome polymer.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Range report: put 200 rounds downrange in various cartridges.  Aside from being extremely lightweight, this thing is sweet.  I have a sweet Colt coated milspec trigger installed and it breaks a hell of a lot smoother than my Colt SOPMOD.  It takes mags like a champ, I did a few tactical reloads and slammed the mags in.  So far so good.  I was going to send it in for cerakote elite, but I like the plain polymer finish.  I'm going to use it for a while before I send it in.  I talked with Tegra and they said coating it won't void the warranty.  My girls love the fact that it's lightweight and they seem less intimidated because it "plastic."  
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I was eyeballing one of these for a future lightweight build, it's good to see that they so far appear to be pretty robust. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those half off sales.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
80 shipped?

what the fuck

when you can buy a PSA, Anderson, Bushmaster Forged for 39-49$?

even the TN arms lowers with the inserts witch i have one of..are 39...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
80 shipped?

what the fuck

when you can buy a PSA, Anderson, Bushmaster Forged for 39-49$?

even the TN arms lowers with the inserts witch i have one of..are 39...
View Quote
You get what you pay for.    I wanted to try polymer and they advertise it as the strongest polymer lower on the market so I decided to go with it.  I can say that it (Tegra) takes mags better than the aluminum Aero lower I just used for a build.  I love Aero uppers and lowers.  I don't use Anderson, it looks like chit to me; they lost me when they decided not to go milspec with the grip screw threads/depth. (Tegra will not take a older Colt Defense long grip screw either).  I like PSA's premium forged stuff also; good chit.  

This spring/summer I'll take it to an advanced carbine class (if the company is still in business; heard they were having a hard time and lost their store-front) and report my findings.  I'll bring my SOPMOD as a backup.  

I also wanted to mention these Tegra lowers don't have inserts as far as I know.  All of the threads are polymer as far as I can tell.  I have studied material and mechanical properties for a while and I have found (especially in my woodworking)  that when you introduce a denser material into a less dense medium like metal and polymers the joining technology usually results in premature wear and breakage in the joint areas.  This is true for wood joints and plastics.  The strongest wood joint is a bridle joint, the other joints that have screws and dowels introduced only succeed in becoming weak points.  Theoretically you could join a reinforcing material into the medium material if it was not on a load bearing surface or joint.  But I think Tegra got it right in keeping the extension tube, grip screw, and even receiver pins homogeneous.  I could see an aluminum chassis as a possible way to integrate into the polymer and keep all the load bearing joints aluminum and the rest of it carbon polymer.  If anyone wants to pay me lots of money i'll patent one. :P  

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the strongest polymer lower on the market:

http://www.gwacsarmory.com

Use coupon code AR15COM for a 5% discount.

With discount, blems come to $80.75 before shipping:

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/specials

Or you can buy identical Sabre Defense (Cav Arms Mk 2) lowers for $60 here:

http://www.trinityordnance.com/

Warrantied by GWACS for $35.

Wish you luck, OP.  Would love to see a mortaring video or bayonet drill.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the strongest polymer lower on the market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhvi8c0MF4

http://www.gwacsarmory.com

Use coupon code AR15COM for a 5% discount.

With discount, blems come to $80.75 before shipping:

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/specials

Or you can buy identical Sabre Defense (Cav Arms Mk 2) lowers for $60 here:

http://www.trinityordnance.com/

Warrantied by GWACS for $35.

Wish you luck, OP.  Would love to see a mortaring video or bayonet drill.
View Quote
Impressive.  I'm glad to see the Matech survive the Jeep, I have a Matech on my SOPMOD and I've been wondering if the thing could survive a good thrashing.  I've seen these for years, never been a fan of the fixed stock but it's robust I'll give it that.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I am interested in seeing how it holds up. My 16" .300blk upper was thrown on a new frontier poly lower and I had no expectations for it. It has held up to everything I have given it. The replacement aero lower I have for that rifle just keeps sitting in the box.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am interested in seeing how it holds up. My 16" .300blk upper was thrown on a new frontier poly lower and I had no expectations for it. It has held up to everything I have given it. The replacement aero lower I have for that rifle just keeps sitting in the box.
View Quote
So far no signs of breakage.  I'll report at the end of the summer after I beat the hell out of it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top