Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 3:02:39 PM EDT
I have a PSA upper that I got used last year and I am thinking about swapping the barrel out on it.  The barrel that I would be replacing is a pinned and welded 14.7" rifle length barrel.  1 in 7" twist with .223 Wylde chamber.  I would call it a heavy barrel and it is NOT marked CHF.  I bought the gun from a friend of a friend so I don't really know for a fact the round count but it should be less than 200.  I figure the best way to sell it would be with the gas block still on it rather than trying to remove the welded MD.  What would be a good starting point for a sale price?  It is somewhat of a rare configuration so I have not had much luck finding comps so that is why I am asking here.  Hope my question is allowed in this section.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea but our LGS has 4 carbine length 16" barrels for $20 a pop.  They are not too bad either just not a fan of carbine length gas systems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say that the most I would pay for it is around 150. Carbine gas and the heavyweight profile hurt the price
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is rifle length not carbine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a 14.7/14.5 rifle length barrel, it would have been modified by someone other than PSA. They come from PSA with carbine and mid length gas systems. Do you have a picture?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea but our LGS has 4 carbine length 16" barrels for $20 a pop.  They are not too bad either just not a fan of carbine length gas systems.
View Quote

@svt40. New barrels for $20? Can I get some more info on the shop and barrel specs?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a good picture right now but I did some googling a while back and came up with some discussion on the 14.7 rifle length upper.  I believe this is how mine came from PSA and it has not been modified.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My guess is it's a mid-length. PSA advertises all their mid-length kits as "rifle" kits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a pic of the complete upper.  The gas block is all the way out at the end of the handguard.  Very short dwell time!  Soft shooter but short strokes on some Wolf steel case I tried due to that ammo being under powered I am told.  I will get a better pic in a few days when I get to the family farm where the gun is located.  I am 99.9% sure it is rifle length.  Like I said pretty rare making it hard for me to judge what it is worth.  Of course there is probably not many folks that would be interested in it either.

EDIT...I removed pic.  Let me see if I can figure out to post a picture without all my Photobucket info displayed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
With the prices of new stuff these days, I don't even attempt to sell used stuff and if it has been installed on an upper, it is a used product.  Stopped at the LGS today and they had "new" take offs for $25 bucks each, two months ago, I was paying $75 bucks for the exact same barrel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
14.5 rifle length?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
My money is on it being a mid-length. Im still trying to wrap my head around it being from PSA and being rare. :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here is a pic of the complete upper.  The gas block is all the way out at the end of the handguard.  Very short dwell time!  Soft shooter but short strokes on some Wolf steel case I tried due to that ammo being under powered I am told.  I will get a better pic in a few days when I get to the family farm where the gun is located.  I am 99.9% sure it is rifle length.  Like I said pretty rare making it hard for me to judge what it is worth.  Of course there is probably not many folks that would be interested in it either.

EDIT...I removed pic.  Let me see if I can figure out to post a picture without all my Photobucket info displayed.
View Quote

If it truly is a 14.5" with rifle gas, that explains your short strokes.  That setup would leave about 1.5" of barrel past the gas port, not even enough space to mount an A2 FSB...

I'm also betting it's mid-length, or maybe that weird "intermediate" length.

Edit: I'll be damned, seems they do (did) exist:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/688821_.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Geez.  I was wrong on both parts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
SOMEBODY NEEDS TO HOOK ME UP WITH THESE $20/$25 BARRELS!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it truly is a 14.5" with rifle gas, that explains your short strokes.  That setup would leave about 1.5" of barrel past the gas port, not even enough space to mount an A2 FSB...

I'm also betting it's mid-length, or maybe that weird "intermediate" length.

Edit: I'll be damned, seems they do (did) exist:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/688821_.html
View Quote

Well. I'll be damned. Maybe someone in the EE will pay more for it than 150.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@svt40. New barrels for $20? Can I get some more info on the shop and barrel specs?
View Quote

Not new used take offs with all the usual dings and scuffs.  This was two weeks ago when I was picking up my LEO trade in M&P45 at B-Tactical in Caddo Mills.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My money is on it being a mid-length. Im still trying to wrap my head around it being from PSA and being rare. :)
View Quote
I guess this may be the first thing ever from PSA that is rare:). Of course I realize that being rare may not mean desirable or valuable.

Now that we have determined that they do exist, what about a realistic price to ask?  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#18]
First obstacle is finding a buyer that wants that configuration.

IMO, if you get $125 your doing good. Try it at what you feel with an OBO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I would love to have some $20-25 barrels myself or at least one-two for budget builds.  I don't care about scuffs/dings etc but having a chrome lined or nitrated barrel would be nice but for that money it wouldn't matter too much.  I never see barrels going for that cheap on the EE, and sure wish there were shops around here selling them that cheap.  Just curious to you guys that seen the $20-25 barrels do you remember the manufacturer or the length/barrel profile?  Just curious.  

As to pricing a used barrel, I think it really depends on what barrel it is and how many rounds are through it.  If the barrel has only a couple hundred rounds through it then they usually aren't a lot cheaper then new but it depends on the brand and the deal.  Like a new $130-150 barrel can usually be had for $100ish used with low round count.  A $250 barrel would probably be more like $175ish but I am just guesstimating based on what I have seen.  Now a barrel with a few thousand rounds down it usually sells for quite a bit cheaper but they don't seem to pop up that often.  I wouldn't even mind having a used cheap barrel that had 1-2k rounds through it as long as it wasn't at the 6-10k range where it could be starting to degrade its accuracy a good bit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#20]
To be honest, as a buyer I would hesitate on buying a used barrel in the current market.  As noted, they can be had pretty inexpensively brand new, right now.  This is especially true if you're just looking for a blaster grade barrel.

Then it gets down to why the person is selling.  Did they just want a different barrel and are trying to recoup some of the cost?  Or are they dumping a crappy barrel?  As a buyer, I have no good way of knowing if the used barrel has really seen "only 200 rounds" or if it's 20,000 rounds.  

So unless it's a screaming deal for something I only intend to blast with (the $20/$25 barrels mentioned above fall into this category), I would probably pass.  

As a seller, I would want to get around 75% of the price of new. That's not likely, for the reasons I posted above.  It's worth more than $20 to me, so I'd just put it on the shelf and keep it for a rainy day.  (And it would be an excuse to build another upper / rifle at some point).

Now if it was some kind of match barrel, and I could go shoot it to verify, that might be a different story.  Of course, AR15 uppers are cheap.  In that instance, I'd want to just buy the complete upper and not bother with pulling the barrel off the seller's upper and installing on mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree.  Every swinging dick that ever sold a used gun or barrel claims to have only 200 rounds athrough it, no matter if it looks like it was dragged down two miles of gravel road and there is no rifling left in the barrel.  I take round count with a grain of salt and it usually makes me question the seller's integrity.  I'd rather them say "I don't know" than throw out the less than 200 rounds bull crap.  
In today's market, I would not pay more than $50 for a sight unseen barrel from my own brother, let alone a total stranger on the internet.

Honestly seller, you would have lost me as a buyer with the statement that it looks like it has less than 200 rounds through it.  Really, your eyeball is so calibrated it can tell the difference between 200 rounds and 800 rounds, and the difference between 1000 rounds slow fired and never over heated verses a barrel with 400 rounds all done at one time, mag dump after mag dump?

If you don't know something and cannot prove anything, better to say you simply don't know rather than throw out some arbitrary made up round count, especially a number that is so over used on the internet that is has become a cliche.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Dupe
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Sell i on EE. Barrels with 6000 rounds going for new prices

Quoted:
I have a PSA upper that I got used last year and I am thinking about swapping the barrel out on it.  The barrel that I would be replacing is a pinned and welded 14.7" rifle length barrel.  1 in 7" twist with .223 Wylde chamber.  I would call it a heavy barrel and it is NOT marked CHF.  I bought the gun from a friend of a friend so I don't really know for a fact the round count but it should be less than 200.  I figure the best way to sell it would be with the gas block still on it rather than trying to remove the welded MD.  What would be a good starting point for a sale price?  It is somewhat of a rare configuration so I have not had much luck finding comps so that is why I am asking here.  Hope my question is allowed in this section.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I wound up trading the complete upper for a mid length 16" from PSA locally.  Lighter profile and not pinned and welded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top