Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 12:12:45 AM EDT
NEVER did I think I would have an interest. Polymer #!

Anyhow, I have read that CAV arms are really the only ones worth a shit. Any truth?

I am asking because I got a line on some dirt cheap. Figured I'd try one out for a truck gun. Maybe buy several?

Tell me what you know?

Eta: These are GWACS. Mark II
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.  Good receivers.  They are the best polymer units available and make for a good lightweight setup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have several.  Here is the torture video.  Yes, that's a bullet hole through the buffer tube.  It still works:

Trinity Ordnance has stripped black Sabre Defense (Cav Arms Mk 2s) for $65.

GWACS has stripped new blems for $85.

Discount code AR15COM for 5% off.

GWACS also offers a $35 warranty on any Cav Arms Mk 2 receiver, whether they made it or not.  I just picked up a brand new GWACS lower, after I accidentally broke off a LRBHO roll pin ear by using a hammer on a Sabre Defense lower.  Cost me $35 + shipping to my FFL.

There are a few Cav Aid Mk 1 ARFCOM lowers running around here - MotownSteve was kind enough to swap me one for a Sabre Defense lower.  It's ideal if you have gorilla arms, as it's about an A2+.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice. These are $50. I'm gonna try one and see.

Since the grip and buttstock are integral, how do the springs and detents for the takedown pin and selector work ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
For the safety you drop the spring in from above, drop the detent on top of that, push them down and insert the safety.  Once installed there is no removing it.  

Unless you file a small ramp halfway between the safe and fire positions.

You fully remove the pivot and rear takedown pins as they are not captured like in standard AR receivers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The safety spring & detent go through a hole in the top, rather than the bottom.  Still end up in the same place.

The buffer retaining pin is held by a roll pin:  http://www.cavmfg.com/CAV-15-Buffer-Detent-Roll-Pin-CAVRP.htm - $2 shipped from the original manufacturer of the Cav Arms Mk 2.  Or you can use a bent paperclip.

Cav Arms Mk 2 style uses carbine buffer & spring.  Mk 1 uses rifle buffer & spring.

Make sure the lowers come w/ these:  http://www.cavmfg.com/CAV-15-MKII-Take-Down-Pins-CAVTDP.htm  Or you can use 1/4" Clevis pins.

Now don't go talking to Rudy:  http://shop.hahn-precision.com/Greasegun-45-ACP-Adapter-C45OG0105.htm
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Nice. These are $50. I'm gonna try one and see.

Since the grip and buttstock are integral, how do the springs and detents for the takedown pin and selector work ?
View Quote

Good price.  Trinity Ordnance has sold me a few for $25, but that's their cracked price.  Make sure they're not split down the front of the magwell or along the top of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

You mean like this?

My son in law five or six years ago.  I've since found matching blue handguards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Wish I could find some really cheap to try out a grip reduction.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good price.  Trinity Ordnance has sold me a few for $25, but that's their cracked price.  Make sure they're not split down the front of the magwell or along the top of the buffer tube.
View Quote

Will do!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Anything else lower specific?
Fcg, bolt catch, mag release all standard?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup.  Be careful tapping in the LRBHO roll pin or it'll cost you $35.  

Thought you weren't interested in polymer or steel lowers.  Now you're interested in polymer - hmm.  Offer stands.  My apologies.  Went to order one today, and they're out of stock.  I could only order you a DPMS .308" compatible flat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Wish I could find some really cheap to try out a grip reduction.
View Quote

Trinity Ordnance sells cracked ones for $25.  Generally cracked down the front of the magwell, though some are cracked along the buffer tube.  Failed plastic welds from manufacturing.  Gotta do the whole FFL thing.  Wish GWACS would make 80%.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
NEVER did I think I would have an interest. Polymer #!

Anyhow, I have read that CAV arms are really the only ones worth a shit. Any truth?

I am asking because I got a line on some dirt cheap. Figured I'd try one out for a truck gun. Maybe buy several?

Tell me what you know?
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/6079/drD5Ix.jpg
View Quote

They are garbage. Send them all to me for proper disposal.

They are the only polymer lower that has withstood the tests of both time and arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:21:34 AM EDT
[#15]
So, what's an AR15.Com Cav Arms Lower worth these days???
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yup.  Be careful tapping in the LRBHO roll pin or it'll cost you $35.  

Thought you weren't interested in polymer or steel lowers.  Now you're interested in polymer - hmm.  Offer stands.  My apologies.  Went to order one today, and they're out of stock.  I could only order you a DPMS .308" compatible flat.
View Quote

Wasn't interested, see my OP. Read a little on these in the past whenever poly lowers came up, seem a different beast altogether.  At this price, I'm curious now. These are the only ones that I have heard more than one positive in a row on.  And still, no thanks on the welded lowers. Far cry from these.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Fair enough.  @ that price, buy all the Cav Arms lowers you can.  I'm happy w/ mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Hoping I like them. May get a few? Something different anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  So, what's an AR15.Com Cav Arms Lower worth these days???
View Quote

W/ parts kit?  $100 to a NBA player or gorilla.  W/o parts kit?  Apparently, $50.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
They used to be about the only game in town when going for LW rifles, these days there are other options but I don't see how you can go wrong for $50.

I have a black lower and a FDE lower, the former is sitting unused now and the later is on my beater parts gun. I had a buddy chop some LOP off both mine.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They used to be about the only game in town when going for LW rifles, these days there are other options but I don't see how you can go wrong for $50.

I have a black lower and a FDE lower, the former is sitting unused now and the later is on my beater parts gun. I had a buddy chop some LOP off both mine.
View Quote

Nice! I'm thinking this guy has been sitting on these a bit. His price, not mine, and not worth arguing. Add about
$40 in parts, I can have another complete AR. WINNING.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Tig, Tig, Tig......

Shaking my head!

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tig, Tig, Tig......

Shaking my head!

View Quote

Range toy / beater gun.
Any other poly lower...no way. It's worth a try.

How's that go? Old dog, new tricks?

Never replace my forged lowers. But MAY share the safe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a OD Green MK II with a Spikes heavy buffer and an ALG ACT trigger and it has been flawless with every upper I have tried on it over the years. I also added the GWACs aluminum butt plate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 to 25Chuck.

The lowers work, are rugged and reliable, and ugly as sin. For a light weight truck gun, they can't be beat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have several.  Here is the torture video.  Yes, that's a bullet hole through the buffer tube.  It still works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhvi8c0MF4

Trinity Ordnance has stripped black Sabre Defense (Cav Arms Mk 2s) for $65.

GWACS has stripped new blems for $85.

Discount code AR15COM for 5% off.

GWACS also offers a $35 warranty on any Cav Arms Mk 2 receiver, whether they made it or not.  I just picked up a brand new GWACS lower, after I accidentally broke off a LRBHO roll pin ear by using a hammer on a Sabre Defense lower.  Cost me $35 + shipping to my FFL.

There are a few Cav Aid Mk 1 ARFCOM lowers running around here - MotownSteve was kind enough to swap me one for a Sabre Defense lower.  It's ideal if you have gorilla arms, as it's about an A2+.
View Quote
I fail to see anything at the Trinity link that I can use to find a Cav Arms lower, unless it's the address in Texas I have to drive to so I can see one for purchase in store?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:   I fail to see anything at the Trinity link that I can use to find a Cav Arms lower, unless it's the address in Texas I have to drive to so I can see one for purchase in store?
View Quote

I think Alexander Bell might have invented something that would help...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#29]
$50?  How many does he have and is he willing to ship to an FFL?  And if so, how much?  I've been debating a drive up to GWACS some day to buy one...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the TNArmsCo polymer lowers the best personally. I can't recall seeing a TNArmsCo break yet. This looks like it could really prevent the rear from breaking since the stock is integrated. I don't prefer the fixed type stock nevertheless A2.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
$50?  How many does he have and is he willing to ship to an FFL?  And if so, how much?  I've been debating a drive up to GWACS some day to buy one...
View Quote

Not sure what he has left. I picked up one, 2 of my buddies each got one. FTF sales only. Pre Hilary panic buy.

They actually seem pretty decent. Came with the detent takedown/pivot pins and roll pin for buffer detent.

They are kinda like the only girl in the bar at last call....not pretty but she will work.

Interesting addition.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Definitely a tight fit to the upper. Gotta dig through some parts boxes. It'll be fun.
Thanks again for all the input.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Build for a friend on a new production GWACS Tulsa lower:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
This is the way it is set up. For now.

IMHO, a great lower.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice pics, thanks for sharing! The more I mess with this the more I am digging it.Think this will be great beating around the farm and camping.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think Alexander Bell might have invented something that would help...
View Quote
How 19th century.

I'd rather click buttons and take screenshots, stuff like that.

One of the last rifles I bought from a phone call to an out of state gunshop ended up costing me several weeks straightening out the ~$200 price difference between what I was verbally quoted and what I was charged.

Not trying to be 'That Guy' in response to you sharing good info with ARF.
Just my personal buying issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:50:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Two thumbs up on the CavArms/GWACS lowers. They are the only polymer lower that I really do 100% trust. I really like them.

I actually did extreme cold weather testing up here in Alaska for CavArms and still have prototype #6.

I beat the piss out of that thing. Stored it in snowbanks at -20 and below F, smashed it against trees, ran it over, etc. I ran it in one of Ted Smith's (God rest his soul, a great human being on so many levels) carbine class's. Still have it.

I currently have two up and running. One is a lightweight 5.56 and the other is a 5.45x39 with the upper being NP3 by Robar.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I am absolutely positive that snowbank storage is not an ARFCOM approved weapon storage method.  

Thank you for testing that.  Would you mind posting pics of your prototype?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#39]
From what I can tell so far, these seem to be bulletproof. Interesting that you got to test a prototype ,Tsh. 8 of us bought one, so we will have a pretty good test sample to beat on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give them a call and tell them what you're doing.  Maybe you can get a partial or non-functioning receiver to work with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Give them a call and tell them what you're doing.  Maybe you can get a partial or non-functioning receiver to work with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO if they would have made it take standard Ar15 aftermarket grips I would have kept mine.

I am tempted to get one again and try to install a grip adapter that people use on the akdal mk1919 shotgun and see if that would work.

Side note: when I had mine I wish I would have installed easy take down pins. It was a bugger to pop the pins out
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]
The grip profile is my only bitch. My takedown/pivot pins are snug but not overly difficult.
Wish they had an A2 grip profile.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The grip profile is my only bitch. My takedown/pivot pins are snug but not overly difficult.
Wish they had an A2 grip profile.
View Quote

Here is what I am thinking

Link

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#44]
This might work as well, though the TROMIX part will probably be more stable.

www.ebay.com/itm/271855032114

Not hotlinking b/c of ARFCOM selling info.  It hotlinked anyway - and if you leave off the http:// it doesn't do the Rover bit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Best mod I've done was slip a Hogue Hand All over the grip.  IIRC GWACS sells them on their site too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Best mod I've done was slip a Hogue Hand All over the grip.  IIRC GWACS sells them on their site too.
View Quote

I see alot of them with the cover. Not sure I'm ballsy enough to chop mine off??
Probably make due with it as is.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I've built quite a few carbines utilizing both the original Cav arms and the GWACS.  All have turned out good with no problems...
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a couple of the original CavArms lowers. Been shooting them over 15 years. Might build a super light upper to put on one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top