Quoted:
YHM Phantom 5C2

The one without the flat leading edge.
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/644/644692.jpg
View Quote

I think this is my favorite so far.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Functionally, this is what I've been learning...

FLASH HIDERS
Function:
Reduce flash by splitting the expanding gas
Appearance:
Pronged
Examples:

BRAKES
Purpose:
Reduce recoil by allowing gas to expand before slamming into baffles
Appearance:
Large openings
Examples:

COMPENSATORS
Purpose:
Control muzzle climb by routing a small amount of gas in the opposite direction
Appearance:
Small holes or openings generally facing upwards
Examples:

OTHER
So the point of defining them by appearance like this is so you can easily figure out a device just by looking at it. Especially when it comes to modern hybrids. If it has prongs, expect flash hiding, small holes usually represent compensation, and large openings are loud brakes. Here is a device that clearly shows all three:

And since I can't stand loud brakes I'm liking these designs:

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Flash comps offer almost as much flash reduction as an A2. About 60-70% of the performance of a full on flash/blast heavy comp.

The AFAB and 2A T3 are other good options. The AFAB hides flash better than a Griffin and also produces less flash. It costs twice as much and is not silencer compatible, however.

The Silencerco open prong flash hiders are Blackout like in flash hiding, don't ping, and mount cans. Their dedicated brakes are loud, but near the very top of effectiveness for brakes. Prices are also reasonable and come with timing shims.

Better flash reduction than an A2 is only needed for SBRs or if your autogated nightvision blinks from your muzzle flashes IMO.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, if you want something cool but still very functional you could get a Vortex Striker. All the Smith Vortex goodness with tungsten carbide tips on each of the prongs for smashing windows.  And looking blingy. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, if you want something cool but still very functional you could get a Vortex Striker. All the Smith Vortex goodness with tungsten carbide tips on each of the prongs for smashing windows.  And looking blingy. 
View Quote

Ha!  That is a bit ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Toddrick...that is good gouge.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If you shoot with night vision then you definitely want a good flash hider.   if you shoot at night, you at least want an adequate one.

If you don't, then you probably don't wont basketball sized fireballs coming from a naked muzzle.    You also probably want to protect the crown and threads.  So, flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you shoot with night vision then you definitely want a good flash hider.   if you shoot at night, you at least want an adequate one.

If you don't, then you probably don't wont basketball sized fireballs coming from a naked muzzle.    You also probably want to protect the crown and threads.  So, flash hider.
View Quote

I don't plan to do any night vision shooting.  Probably 99% of usage is going to be on the range.  Maybe a little hunting at some point.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
what about the bcm gunfighter MOD 0
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
DeGroat flash enhancer of course! 

Man what a blast on my 10" M16!! 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
A1, A2 work great (A1 works a little better), but the very early Duckbills, work better than both!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
KAC M4QD and QDC, because I can put cans on them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the BLING!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dibs on that Lilja barrel when the old timer kicks!

View Quote

Haha!   My dad is a 91 year old WWII Navy vet still active.  I think I'll probably make it that far -- in the genes.  But, if you are still interested then, and I've not shot out that barrel, plan to get in line.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Haha!   My dad is a 91 year old WWII Navy vet still active.  I think I'll probably make it that far -- in the genes.  But, if you are still interested then, and I've not shot out that barrel, plan to get in line.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dibs on that Lilja barrel when the old timer kicks!

Seconds (or the next position after Toddrick)
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't want to spend much money. Check out the strike industries king comp, I have one on my spr and it works great. It's a combo of comp and flash supression. Strike industries also have the venom flash supressor and that thing looks cool as hell and gets good reviews. Both are under 40.00 iirc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An $8 A2 works quite fine.  For the life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would spend $40-$100+ on a fancy-pants flash suppressor or muzzle brake. Especially since muzzle brakes add so much noise (and create so many enemies at indoor ranges).
View Quote
Prolong the life of expensive night vision. Grip, weight, balance, gas port opening, reciprocating mass of bcg combined with c buffer vs 9mm buffer and everything in between, strength of action spring, ALL affect the muzzle rise and recoil and there can be some considerable difference. My LMT with 16" barrel, carbine gas with 22K through it has some gas port wear and is overgassed. I also have a brand new BCM 16" LW middy with KMRA 9" rail. Shooting both back to back, my LMT feels like a 6.8. Muzzle devices affect each rifle differently. The A2 actually pushes the BCM muzzle down, because it's so light. The LMT with an A2 rises straight up. There are so many variables that can come into play it's ridiculous.

I've tried a bunch. BE Meyers, Vortex and AAC all ping. Annoying as fuck. PWS TRIAD reduces flash almost as good. It compensates waaay too much. YHM Phantom, not much better than A2. Midwest Industries, pretty good all around device. PWS FSC, BCM, suck at everything. Griffin flashcomp, great compensator, not enough flash reduction for me. I just picked up a FOSSA 556. Looks like it will be the king of flash suppressors that don't ping and compensate about the same as an A2 since my goal is to reduce muzzle flash as much as possible.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top