Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2017 12:43:54 PM EDT
Doing my first build.  Trying to keep it simple and inexpensive.  However, I am not opposed to adding some bling.  My question is do flash suppressors serve a non-combat purpose or are they mostly decoration?  Also, post your favorite non-standard suppressor.  I'm looking for ideas.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 is the best for the $.

AAC Blackout, Smith Vortex, BE Meyers if you want to spend more.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO FS are totaly a political ststement for most shooters, and most have them simply because it pisses the libs off.  I know that's the only reason I use them.  They don't increase accuracy, they can even hurt it if not properly installed.  Their only purpose is to preserve one's night vision when shooting at night.  They do not hide the flash from someone you might be shooting at, regardless of what the libs portray.
So, since I:
don't shoot at night,
my ARs are not my middle of the night go to weapon,
I don't fantasize about zombie apocalypse and silly SHTF scenarios,
then my sole reason for using them is that it pisses the crap out of libs that we have them.
That's enough reason for me.
The FS I use are the YHM Phantoms.  They work and are not terribly expensive, and lend themselves to being opened up to larger calibers quite easily.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
An $8 A2 works quite fine.  For the life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would spend $40-$100+ on a fancy-pants flash suppressor or muzzle brake. Especially since muzzle brakes add so much noise (and create so many enemies at indoor ranges).
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
A1/A2. All I use now. They work.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree on the A1/A2.
Quit using split washers with the A1 had one gouge a Colt 11.5" bbl on removal once.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
A2 is A+ value
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An $8 A2 works quite fine.  For the life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would spend $40-$100+ on a fancy-pants flash suppressor or muzzle brake. Especially since muzzle brakes add so much noise (and create so many enemies at indoor ranges).
View Quote

If you live in a communist state like California (where I live) flash hiders are considered evil by the left wingers in charge. I use either a thread protector or KAW linear comp. The linear comp at least directs the sound down range away from you and any shooters on the line.

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like most people like the standard A2.  I'm guessing it's mostly style preference and has noting to do with performance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The reason for using a good muzzle brake, is that you can improve your split times on follow up shots. Yes they are load, but that is the price you pay for a flat shooting rifle that can run split times in the .3 second range.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems like most people like the standard A2.  I'm guessing it's mostly style preference and has noting to do with performance.
View Quote

If I remember right, A2s are basically the bee's knees when it comes to flash suppression.  Now, if you want something that compensates for recoil or muzzle rise (or pisses off your shooting neighbor), that's a different beast and A2 isn't your best choice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I remember right, A2s are basically the bee's knees when it comes to flash suppression.  Now, if you want something that compensates for recoil or muzzle rise (or pisses off your shooting neighbor), that's a different beast and A2 isn't your best choice.
View Quote

Really I just want something that looks cool and not stock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
As a general rule, I run A2 hiders on barrels 16" or longer and YHM Phantoms on anything shorter.  If you have a specific reason for getting a more expensive muzzle device then knock yourself out, but IMO the only more expensive devices that are worth it are the ones that require a tax stamp and have a long wait for approval.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Vortex... Though I don't just like it for it's great flash suppression abilities, I also like it for it's ease of installation and the fact that it has no carbon accumulating gap like most other flash suppressors.

The first thing I change out on every rifle I buy is the A2 for a Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#16]
A2's are good, so is Battlecomp
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#17]
YHM has some descent looking FH that are pretty inexpensive. I agree with those that say expensive FHs are foolish (unless running a can).

Unfortunately, since I have one suppressor now and getting 4 more in the upcoming months, cheap FH are no longer an option for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#18]
There really isn't a big difference, there is a reason the military went with the A1/A2 FH and it wasn't because they wanted to add them to look cool.  The Vortex and most other open ended prong flash hiders will do slightly better but not enough in most cases to notice, the Phantom is also a slight improvement and helps a little more as well since it is slightly longer.  But as far as looks go I really prefer the standard A1/A2 FH's and think the Phantoms look great as well (got one on a 14.5" to bring to legal length).  I used to like the way the SE Vortex's looked but have kind of grown out of that, they still aren't bad.  I can't stand how a lot of the aftermarket ones look though, they are so fugly to me and I also don't like the idea of adding a really long one to a barrel even if it is a short barrel - to me it just defeats the purpose.  I have a standard A2 on a 11.5" barrel and while I have never shot it at night I have no complaints.  

Check out this test - Flash Hider Shootout Test

As you can see on testing a bare muzzle read 10,760 Lux
An A2 read .48 - not even half of 1 Lux
A YH Phantom read .41
A SE Vortex read .37
As you may see, not a huge difference especially compared to a bare muzzle gun and many of the muzzle breaks.  I've never considered a break since the recoil is already so small on the 5.56 guns but could see why others like them that 3 gun and stuff.  Just not worth the added negatives to gain the positives for me.  

Here is another follow up test with similar results Follow Up Test
There are a few more options other then the Phantom/SE Vortex out there but they are hard to beat for their price points at $25/$50 respectively - or the $8-10 A1/A2 for that matter.  There are others on there if you don't care about price points or perhaps length like the White Sound Defense FOSSA which looks similar to the Vortex at $100ish, or the Surefire 3- Eliminator that is somewhat similar and priced reasonably at around $50ish it is just a little too long for my needs like many other good FH's.  PWS Triad for around $70 if you like that look, The SureFire WarComp looks interesting as it has a good FH rating but is also a break but looks fairly long and priced at around $135.  Or the WeaponTech Punisher Comp for about $70 that works as both.  

There are a lot of options, but you can't go wrong with A1/A2 or Phantom/Vortex for price/how well they work/looks
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here is a video of a standard A2 flash suppressor on a short barreled AR at night, I might be blind but this appears to throw quite a flash...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dPlIe0X8AU

Here is a video comparing the A2 against the B.E. Meyers M249F, keep in mind....THIS is a 16" Barrel, shorter barrels equals MORE FLASH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAqwgug6fZo

B.E. Meyers started out as a Military Night Vision supplier, they started researching flash suppression to reduce interference with night vision equipment.  

Here is a comment on the B.E. Meyers M249F...

In an independent study conducted by JSOC, the BE Meyers Flash Hider rose above the competition as a top performer, and has been the choice of elite military units for nearly two decades!
View Quote

OP just wants "cool".
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here is a video of a standard A2 flash suppressor on a short barreled AR at night, I might be blind but this appears to throw quite a flash...

Here is a video comparing the A2 against the B.E. Meyers M249F, keep in mind....THIS is a 16" Barrel, shorter barrels equals MORE FLASH

B.E. Meyers started out as a Military Night Vision supplier, they started researching flash suppression to reduce interference with night vision equipment.  

In an independent study conducted by JSOC, the BE Meyers Flash Hider rose above the competition as a top performer, and has been the choice of elite military units for nearly two decades!
View Quote

That ping is just downright annoying.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Moved to Smith Vortex here last year except on my Delta HBAR which I kept all original and thus still an A2.

I love the Vortex. Nothing in your vision even on a very dark night, and it must be pretty damn clean burning because when I clean it there's hardly anything on it even after a 500 round range day unlike the accumulation of shit that was always covering my A2s after firing.

I also get a strange satisfaction from flicking it with a fingernail and hearing "tiiinnnnngggggg...."  Oddly enough I don't hear it at all when shooting, only when tapping it with a fingernail.

EDIT: Oh yes, and if you're using it for liberal triggering as mentioned above... Vortex is compatible with AR bayonets in both 5.56 and 7.62. Flash hider and a bayonet lug... with a bayonet on it. REEEEE
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#23]
A2 unless I'm running a suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Original enhanced 3 prong (not the duck bill)
yankee hill phantom 5c2
A2

I have the Phantom 5c2 without the silly notches on my son's 14.5" carbine and I couldn't believe how little flash their was at night with M193. IMO it's the best for the money on the market and looks good.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP just wants "cool".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP just wants "cool".

Unless there is some tangible proof that they make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Unless there is some tangible proof that they make a difference.
View Quote

There is plenty of proof out there. A/b comparisons are done all the time. The basic hider works really well but yeah, there are much better options.
If you want the best of both worlds the vg6 epsilon and Lantac dragon both offer good recoil control and decent flash suppression. And they look cool as hell doing it. Our if the 2 the vg6 has better control .

Spent a few hours the other day shooting them back to back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
A2 works fine, so do many others.  It really comes down to budget vs. bling.  I have a Seekins three prong flash hider on my most recent build.  It works well, doesn't need a crush washer, and doesn't ring like other three prong flash hiders.
http://www.primaryarms.com/seekins-precision-flash-hider-melonited-black-finish-1-2x28-thread-sp0011510045
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The A2 has too much flash through my PVS 14. I use a PWS Triad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wilson Combat Accu-Tac FH. I got one a little cheaper from Midway. No crush washer needed, just hand tighten and then it self tightens from there.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Accu-Tac-Flash-Hider-556-NATO/productinfo/TR-ATFH/
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:17:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:29:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I will honestly say that I pick my flash hiders based on looks/cool factor. I also pick them based on what guys here say the tier one guys are using. I've never been in combat, rearly shoot at night, and have no other way to base my decision on other than looks and what the marketing mumbo jumbo on the box states. I am sure most people here do the same, but just won't  admit to it. My personal favorite based on looks is the AAC blackout.

I like the looks of some of the muzzle brakes as well, but I tried some and found them to be anoilingly loud.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never been in combat, rearly shoot at night, and have no other way to base my decision on other than looks and what the marketing mumbo jumbo on the box states..
View Quote

Yup.

I've used A2s, AAC brake, YHM Phantom, Gen 1 Rainier Arms.  The new build has a SI J-Comp V2 going on it.  Couldn't find any information about it but the v1 J-Comp seemed well received.  Time will tell...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I will honestly say that I pick my flash hiders based on looks/cool factor. I also pick them based on what guys here say the tier one guys are using. I've never been in combat, rearly shoot at night, and have no other way to base my decision on other than looks and what the marketing mumbo jumbo on the box states. I am sure most people here do the same, but just won't  admit to it. My personal favorite based on looks is the AAC blackout.

I like the looks of some of the muzzle brakes as well, but I tried some and found them to be anoilingly loud.
View Quote

Thank you for an honest answer. I'm new here and don't want to ruffle feathers, but based on a lot of what I have seen here so far the cool factor is important. As with any hobby, you want cool stuff that works. There are so many ways to personalize an AR that you don't have to settle for just "functional". I always thought the standard mil-spec M-16 A1/A2 I grew up with in the Marines was a pretty ugly gun. Now with collapsable stocks, ff guards, flat top rails...man they look sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#36]
A small step up from A2 is the very modestly priced (about $25) YHM 5C2, which in repeated comparison tests is 99% as effective as the best and most expensive.

It is the most cost effective option. Almost always in the top tier performance wise.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I've never used a real flash hiders other than than the one that came on my first ar
A rock river with a basic a2 I belive. Been compensators ever since. I've owned closed to 60 or so different devices. I really like the stuff from vg6 and bought the gamma on the first run on pre-order . Just took a chance and it's turned out to to be an excellent choice. The Epsilon offers compensation and flash reduction. Not as good at flash reduction but the comp works well and it looks really nice.

Never saw the point as a civilian to have a true flash hider. Comps are much more useful.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#38]
No muzzle device
AAC Blackout
Smith Vortex
USGI A2
M4-2000 w/ water residue
M4-2000 dry/cold
M4-2000 2nd shot after 10 seconds

Muzzle Device                        M855                       XM193 (no flash retardant)

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't quite post my NT-4 QDSS in taupe yet.

I'm expecting to bring it home sometime around the middle of summer

ETA: I just called the NFA branch to find out that they haven't even entered my F4 yet and are working on entries where the payment was received 16SEP2016.  Looks like it'll be cold outside again before mine comes home :(

Come on HPA......
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Original enhanced 3 prong (not the duck bill)
yankee hill phantom 5c2
A2

I have the Phantom 5c2 without the silly notches on my son's 14.5" carbine and I couldn't believe how little flash their was at night with M193. IMO it's the best for the money on the market and looks good.
View Quote

The 5c2 without the "notches" is the 5c1.  I have both, and they are otherwise identical and work identically.  I prefer the cleaner look of the 5c1.  More effective than A2 and most of the other flash hiders, and only $25 or so.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I only use the Smith Enterprise Vortex. It is one of the best flash suppressors, you only have to install it 5 ft lbs without Rocksett or any washer, it won't come off since it self tightens, and it sits flush against the muzzle.

Some don't like the open prongs or the ping. I keep a Caplug on the end so it doesn't snag on anything and the ping isn't really noticeable when firing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm also looking for a comp/flash hider that looks kinda cool. I don't need to break windows with it or use it in battle. Just something a little different to make my new rifle look a tad more unique. I don't want to pay more than $50, and I don't want any loud brake BS. Just a slight compensator and decent flash hider. The best one out there fitting this description appears to be Griffin Armament, but I can't find anything similar in my price range.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Vortex
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm also looking for a comp/flash hider that looks kinda cool. I don't need to break windows with it or use it in battle. Just something a little different to make my new rifle look a tad more unique. I don't want to pay more than $50, and I don't want any loud brake BS. Just a slight compensator and decent flash hider. The best one out there fitting this description appears to be Griffin Armament, but I can't find anything similar in my price range.

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/XHP556Flashcomp.jpg
View Quote

So I did find a Midwest Industries Tactical Compensator, which I believe is almost identical to the Griffin above (which in turn is almost identical to the Battlecomp), for <$50. However they were sold out everywhere but one place, so I suspect they have been discontinued. I think these look good, and shouldn't be obnoxious, while actually providing some benefit over an A2 FH.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#45]
YHM Phantom 5C2

The one with the flat leading edge.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
YHM Phantom 5C2

The one without the flat leading edge.
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/644/644692.jpg
View Quote

Yes, but that is a 5c1. Don't order it as a a 5C2.  You'll get the jagged front edge.  The one in the photo above is the 5C1.  

I like it best of the two.  I didn't know it existed to begin with and got the more "bling" 5C2.  Then found out about the flat edged version and picked it up.  I'm 66 years old, so I don't care for bling like I did when younger.  Superb and identical flash suppression with either.  Some modest muzzle rise mitigation, as the bottom is closed.  Lets you shoot prone without muzzle blast throwing up dirt.

But, OP might like a little window breaking bling.  This is my 5C2 - the version with "teeth".  It's been moved to a carbine, now.  Don't plan to break windows with that barrel.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I believe the grooves were originally designed to cut wire, fence, etc... Put wire between grooves, pull trigger. Obviously glass & faces can also easily be broken
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, but that is a 5c1. Don't order it as a a 5C2.  You'll get the jagged front edge.  The one in the photo above is the 5C1.  

I like it best of the two.  I didn't know it existed to begin with and got the more "bling" 5C2.  Then found out about the flat edged version and picked it up.  I'm 66 years old, so I don't care for bling like I did when younger.  Superb and identical flash suppression with either.  Some modest muzzle rise mitigation, as the bottom is closed.  Lets you shoot prone without muzzle blast throwing up dirt.

But, OP might like a little window breaking bling.  This is my 5C2 - the version with "teeth".  It's been moved to a carbine, now.  Don't plan to break windows with that barrel.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/B0AC0EA2-0CBF-443E-B015-03F724064CB3_zpse8dlhgno.jpg
View Quote

Dibs on that Lilja barrel when the old timer kicks!

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Flash suppressors purposely made for my cans notwithstanding, I prefer the Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I picked up a Strike Industries J-Comp Type-89 style flash suppressor/muzzle brake recently for a midlength I had built.  Read somewhere that it was a good balance in cutting flash and recoil.

I'm hooked and need to order another one.  While not "cool" looking, the Type 89 brake rocks.  Really took any recoil out (for an already soft platform), isn't terribly loud and the testing I saw showed it did a bit better than the A2.

Win/Win in my book.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top