Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2017 6:54:02 PM EDT
I purchased a Colt Expanse gas tube from the EE under the assumption it was milspec and it's not. 

I called Colt and they confirmed that the part is not the same gas tube used in the milspec models and it's not milspec. The customer agent made a comment that the part is commercial and should not be used in a milspec rifle such as the Colt 6920.  He also said many other parts are not milspec.

I'm posting this to help anyone like myself that may buy parts from other members selling Expanse components.  Also to warn those selling Expanse parts to be clear that they are not in fact milspec per Colt.  The seller in my case was just ignorant to the facts and sold me the part not knowing it is not in fact milspec.  

And fyi you cannot easily bend a Colt milspec gas tube, but you can easily bend a Colt Expanse commercial gas tube.  It flexes easily and seems to be lighter than the milspec tube.

Best!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't even aware there was a commercial version of the gas tube. Yes to buffer tubes, BCG, charging handles, etc. I rarely see gas tubes marked mil spec. Typically they are listed as 304 stainless steel. I assume the commercial version is a thinner diameter stainless steel
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up. I have been wondering on that myself.
Not the tubes specific, but Expanse parts as a whole. Stopped short on a few purchases due to not knowing.
Anybody know for certain which parts are gtg and which to avoid?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the Expanse gas tube is thinner and possibly different grade stainless. Haven't weighed the two yet, but it's definitely weaker and far more flexible.  I purchased a Colt bolt from Gunbrok recently and the guy sent me some unknown bolt that's definitely not Colt.  He just sent me an e-mail saying that he pulled it off a Colt 6920 or Colt Expanse.  (This goes to show he doesn't know the difference between Colt 6920 and Colt Expanse)  The bolt he sent me is marked DT MPC/MPI in some sort of print rather than the Colt etched MPC.   Will the nightmare ever end!  Hopefully this guy gives me a full refund or sends the Colt MPC bolt he was supposed to! 
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]
DT sounds like it should be Delton? I have no real idea tho.  All Colt bolts I have seen are marked MPC.
From the sound of it, I'll just avoid all Expanse parts for now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Chris Bartocci did a review of the Expanse on youtube, and basically the only thing Colt on it is the lower.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The carrier are marked "C", but other than that I havent dealt with them much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt should just stop licensing his name/logo to other Mfgs...

Did the same mistake with walther.22 carbines and the Competition series
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
They have to do something to get out from under the thumb oh the union.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Could someone please post a picture of the Expanse bolt markings?  This guy sold me a Colt milspec bolt supposedly and it's definitely not Colt milspec.  I took photos and documented it.  He claims he took his bolts off Colt Expanse and Colt 6920s.  He doesn't know the Expanse is not milspec, I've tried to explain to no avail.  The bolt he sent is like no colt bolt I have ever seen past, present. I checked under the extractor and it's not marked C.  The extractor spring is not Colt copper colored enhanced. The bolt itself is marked DT MPI/MPC. I'm thinki maybe Del-ton but I have no idea? I'm fairly positive he is scamming people on Gunbrok, and he is going to charge me 15% restocking fee and shipping for a return.  I told him the bolt is not Colt milspec and I have confirmed it.  He still insists on lying to me.  I have seen Expanse bolts and this is not one of them.  I'm going to report this guy on multiple levels, I've never dealt with such blatant fraud and misrepresentation of a product, he had a slick response prepared claiming Colt no longer marks their bolts consistently..  This bolt he sent me looks like crap, it's surface rusted. The bolt face looks so bad I wouldn't dare to use it.  What a class act.  I'll report details when the return is finalized, but at this point he has proven he is a fraud, so I'm not sure I can in good conscious let this slide for the sake of others.  I'll also look into reporting him via proper channels here if there is an appropriate place, and I'll include pics, and dialog without any identifying info other than his business name.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
from a review/comparison via M4 carbine.net

Colt LE 6920 on left, Colt Expanse on right.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
DPMS bolt marked with a D (shitty pic , the D is marked sideways).

Delton bolts are marked DT HPT/MPI from what I can find.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
from a review/comparison via M4 carbine.net
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/84/0phar3.png

Colt LE 6920 on left, Colt Expanse on right.
View Quote

The Expanse bolt is clearly not a Colt bolt.  Note, the lugs don't have the angled cuts on the left rear corner.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you everyone, very much appreciated.  I guess this guy is selling Delton bolts and claiming they are Colt 6920/Expanse takeoffs.  Well done.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Core,

Throw a pic of the bolt up, I am curious to see it and the markings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]
This is why people hate Colt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Parts most likely arent even Colt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is why people hate Colt.
View Quote

People buy an Expanse and think they bought an LE. Then they hate Colt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Chris Bartocci did a review of the Expanse on youtube, and basically the only thing Colt on it is the lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUnGhScNX24
View Quote

Wow.....Colt has officially silly shit the bed.

That's just amazing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's just amazing.
View Quote

I don't think that, if I had to buy an off the shelf M4 clone for serious use, it would be a Colt 6920/6921.   But, the Expanse, and their competition models are not 'real' Colt products, and are sub'd out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't think that, if I had to buy an off the shelf M4 clone for serious use, it would be a Colt 6920/6921.   But, the Expanse, and their competition models are not 'real' Colt products, and are sub'd out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just amazing.

I agree with your sentiment regarding the 6920, however putting the Colt rollmark on a piece of shit gun is not exactly heading in the right direction....again for Colt.

Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree with your sentiment regarding the 6920, however putting the Colt rollmark on a piece of shit gun is not exactly heading in the right direction....again for Colt.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1515875.1384379396!/img/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/article_750/benedetto-bufalino.JPG
View Quote

lol, true.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]
A DTI bolt is probably better quality.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Core,

Throw a pic of the bolt up, I am curious to see it and the markings.
View Quote
It is identical to the Del-ton bolt image from their website.  And as far as quality, it is pretty rough looking compared to a Colt bolt.  It has a brownish nitride coating looks rusty.  The guy is still swearing he pulled this off a Colt, and swears it's a Colt milspec bolt.  I shipped it back to him for a refund. I'm guessing I'm the first person to call him out judging by his blatant denial and affirmation that this is a Colt bolt. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Definitely, it is NOT.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Delton.
While he may have pulled it from a Colt, I doubt it was a factory  carbine.
I see no reason why Colt would source bolts from DTI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Delton.
While he may have pulled it from a Colt, I doubt it was a factory  carbine.
I see no reason why Colt would source bolts from DTI.
View Quote

They don't
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They don't
View Quote

My point exactly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My point exactly.
View Quote

Colt is way to proud of their stuff, Expanse is not a Colt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Colt is way to proud of their stuff, Expanse is not a Colt.
View Quote

Says both on the lowers. Obviously not too proud for capitalism.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Says both on the lowers. Obviously not too proud for capitalism.
View Quote

My old Plymouth said Chrysler Motor Corp on the tag under the hood, but it was not a Chrysler!

Colt is trying to hit both ends of the market, so they introduce a Colt M16A1 retro for $2500 and the Expanse for $699 and they have missed the plate on both ends.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#31]
At this point he keeps claiming that the bolt is Colt and he took it off Colt 6920's and Expanse.. I have sent him photos of identifiers from Black Rifle II and a photo of a Del-ton bolt.  He is still claiming it's Colt even after my best attempts to educate him, so it's evident he is a con artist.  Otherwise he would have admitted his mistake, and apologized for my time and money wasted.  He must be a peice of work.  

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
At this point he keeps claiming that the bolt is Colt and he took it off Colt 6920's and Expanse.. I have sent him photos of identifiers from Black Rifle II and a photo of a Del-ton bolt.  He is still claiming it's Colt even after my best attempts to educate him, so it's evident he is a con artist.  Otherwise he would have admitted his mistake, and apologized for my time and money wasted.  He must be a peice of work.  

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels. 
View Quote

Well we know better, at least.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My old Plymouth said Chrysler Motor Corp on the tag under the hood, but it was not a Chrysler!

Colt is trying to hit both ends of the market, so they introduce a Colt M16A1 retro for $2500 and the Expanse for $699 and they have missed the plate on both ends.
View Quote

Agreed on there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Definitely, it is NOT.
View Quote
Love the Higgens profile pic btw.  When I was a kid Magnum PI was the shizznizzle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#36]
The Colt Expanse is sold as a commercial budget "entry/beginner". It is widely known as a "licensed product". You get what you pay for. I agree with the keen eye of the reviewer in the video. If you think you are getting a 6920 for less money because it is called an Expanse. Well you should know better.

I would be surprised if the if the lower is actually a Colt MFG, but the reviewer thought so. So it maybe.

If you hate Colt because of this, you hate Colt anyway. That's your prerogative as a hater.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Colt Expanse is sold as a commercial budget "entry/beginner". It is widely known as a "licensed product". You get what you pay for. I agree with the keen eye of the reviewer in the video. If you think you are getting a 6920 for less money because it is called an Expanse. Well you should know better.

I would be surprised if the if the lower is actually a Colt MFG, but the reviewer thought so. So it maybe.

If you hate Colt because of this, you hate Colt anyway. That's your prerogative as a hater.
View Quote

The lower on my expanse is exactly identical to the lower on my 6920. LE serial and shitty roll mark varying in depth just like any others. The upper is also all appropriately marked.

I have seen photos of peoples expanse rifles that have what looks like engraved lowers and they do not have LE serials.

This is the lower on my expanse. You can almost recoup most of the cost of buying an expanse on sale but just selling the lower. The FCG and most likely the entire LPK components are non standard.

The bolt carriers in both of mine have a identical C mark but the bolts are different as shown here. Also, any of the plastic parts appear to be non standard.

Bought the expanse while living in a hotel on a work trip before the election.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought an Expanse on a business trip to west Tennessee, on sale at Rural King (Tractor Supply-type store, but with guns).  Lower has LE prefix, upper has the C.  Haven't given it a workout, but seemed accurate during break-in.

Saw an Expanse in a Virginia gun shop, just after Christmas.  Lower had LE prefix, no C on the upper.  The finish on the upper and barrel looked very different from any Colt I ever saw, shabby even.  I didn't check the barrel markings.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Does the Expanse always have the straight barrel? Does it ever have the M203 cut-out barrel?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Think there is a heavy, straight bbl and an M4 with 203 cutout.
Not absolute though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Think there is a heavy, straight bbl and an M4 with 203 cutout.
Not absolute though.
View Quote

Hmmmm. Makes me wonder about the "6920" complete upper I bought recently for a great price. It has 'M4' marked above the gas port on the receiver, has M4 feed ramps, Colt CAGE code on the barrel, and 203 cutout (of course). Has 'C' and "square" Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises forge marks, except the 'C' is engraved and not raised like my other Colt. Chamber is chrome lined but I'll have to remove the flash hider to get a look at whether the barrel is chrome lined. Got the whole thing with Colt M16 BCG for $450 shipped, new take off when everything else was $600+. Price made me start to think. That's what made me wonder if the straight barrel profile was one of the telltale signs of an Expanse.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hmmmm. Makes me wonder about the "6920" complete upper I bought recently for a great price. It has 'M4' marked above the gas port on the receiver, has M4 feed ramps, Colt CAGE code on the barrel, and 203 cutout (of course). Has 'C' and "square" Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises forge marks, except the 'C' is engraved and not raised like my other Colt. Chamber is chrome lined but I'll have to remove the flash hider to get a look at whether the barrel is chrome lined. Got the whole thing with Colt M16 BCG for $450 shipped, new take off when everything else was $600+. Price made me start to think. That's what made me wonder if the straight barrel profile was one of the telltale signs of an Expanse.
View Quote

From what I can find, markings vary.  Some  raised, some stamped. Some carriers not marked.
Barrels, from all I gather, are NOT CL.

I just bought an Expanse bbl on the EE.
I know it's not CL, it is straight (no taper/no 203 cuts) and is marked"5.56 NATO-1-7 C P". "F" fsb.
Truck gun.

My 14.5" SOCOM bbl is CL and cage code marked. 2016 date.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like a bad product
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looks like a bad product
View Quote

What makes it a "bad" product? It's an entry-level gun priced a little higher than others. Other than the Colt Competition hammer, and standard buffer the lower is identical  to my 6920.

While Colt probably should have offered a nitride barrel, the upper is serviceable for the average shooter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What makes it a "bad" product? It's an entry-level gun priced a little higher than others. Other than the Colt Competition hammer, and standard buffer the lower is identical  to my 6920.

While Colt probably should have offered a nitride barrel, the upper is serviceable for the average shooter.
View Quote

But the Expanse does introduce confusion into the marketplace for the average person.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But the Expanse does introduce confusion into the marketplace for the average person.
View Quote

Agreed.

They have cut corners in order to jump the profit margin.

The task is finding out where. Seems not all Expanses are the same.
Like somebody is pulling random stock to build each?

Kinda like at my shop??
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Like somebody is pulling random stock to build each?
View Quote

You must be familiar with the M14/M1A market.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You must be familiar with the M14/M1A market.
View Quote

I'll bet we see more of it. Ramped up production pre election = a lot of parts
in bins waiting for host weapons.

Gunpartscorp sells alot of parts that seem to fit this category.
Bushmaster bbls= some CL, some not.Same part #
A2 uppers= some with ramps, some not. Same part #.
I hear it's the same with A1 buttstocks, one order it's  a D, next it's an E. Again, same part #.

Kind of a crapshoot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#49]
So I received the second bolt from this guy, and he swears up and down he pulled the bolt from a LE6920 himself.  The bolt is marked MP..   No C mark under the extractor, no enhanced copper color extractor spring.  It's definitely nicer than the Delton bolt he initially sent, but still not Colt as he claimed.  I figured he'd stiff me with an Expanse bolt but this thing isn't even Colt.  I don't know how I should proceed?  I already let him know it's not Colt, so I'll wait for his response.  He sent a cam pin and firing pin retaining pin this time and it's a decent bolt but it isn't Colt which is what I need.  I'm thinking about just giving him a bad review at this point, I've wasted enough of my time.  I've explained the details, he's using blunt force tactics trying to wear me down or hoping I'll believe his repeated lies.  I think I'll probably call Colt and let them know that he's selling Colt take off parts that aren't Colt if he gives me another line of bull...  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I purchased a Colt Expanse gas tube from the EE under the assumption it was milspec and it's not. 

I called Colt and they confirmed that the part is not the same gas tube used in the milspec models and it's not milspec. The customer agent made a comment that the part is commercial and should not be used in a milspec rifle such as the Colt 6920.  He also said many other parts are not milspec.

I'm posting this to help anyone like myself that may buy parts from other members selling Expanse components.  Also to warn those selling Expanse parts to be clear that they are not in fact milspec per Colt.  The seller in my case was just ignorant to the facts and sold me the part not knowing it is not in fact milspec.  

And fyi you cannot easily bend a Colt milspec gas tube, but you can easily bend a Colt Expanse commercial gas tube.  It flexes easily and seems to be lighter than the milspec tube.

Best!
View Quote
I picked up a takeoff Colt Defense gas tube from the EE and it's definitely a completely different animal.  It flexes slightly but it's much more robust than the Expanse gas tube.  I noticed two different identifiers.  1. The milspec tube is machined several inches to the mushroom end. The Expanse gas tube seems to be ground versus machined...  2. I don't know if it's my imagination but the milspec FSP side gas port appears to be slightly larger.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top