Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 7:40:35 AM EDT
I just finished a build for a friend and when I went to put pins in the A2 sight/gas block the barrel was in the way which leads me to believe the barrel is mid length and it goes further up the barrel where it's narrower but I'm not sure, it fit perfectly other than the pins. The barrel is brand new and guy it was bought from said it was carbine length and had a brand new carbine length gas tube for it. How do I tell if it is truly carbine length or if it is mid length? What are the dangers of firing it how it's set up at carbine length and it's really mid length?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics would help. You say "the barrel is in the way"??Sounds as if the barrel you are using has not been drilled for sight tower pins? What length gas tube are you trying to use?  Does it line up with the gas port in the barrel? 9 3/4", 11 3/4" and 15" are the typical gas system lengths for carbine, mid, and rifle if I recall correctly.
Again, pics help.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics would help. You say "the barrel is in the way"??Sounds as if the barrel you are using has not been drilled for sight tower pins? What length gas tube are you trying to use?  Does it line up with the gas port in the barrel? 9 3/4", 11 3/4" and 15" are the typical gas system lengths for carbine, mid, and rifle if I recall correctly.
Again, pics help.
View Quote

Says carbine length gas tube on package, it's the melonite one from Yankee Hill. Can't post pics now but will later after work, maybe on lunch break. Everything went together nicely expect when I tried to put taper pins in. Maybe it's suppose to use set screws?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Says carbine length gas tube on package, it's the melonite one from Yankee Hill. Can't post pics now but will later after work, maybe on lunch break. Everything went together nicely expect when I tried to put taper pins in. Maybe it's suppose to use set screws?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again, pics help.

A barrel needs to be drilled for a FSB.  Unless you're a skilled machinist, you either need to send it to someone like ADCO or switch to a low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A barrel needs to be drilled for a FSB.  Unless you're a skilled machinist, you either need to send it to someone like ADCO or switch to a low profile gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again, pics help.

100% correct.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#5]
If the tube lines up with the gas port in the barrel then u have a carbine. If the fsb has threaded holes, then it is set screw type. Fsbs are match drilled with barrels when done correctly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What type of a handguard does it have and how long is it?  How long is the gas tube, and how far in front of the barrel nut is the gas hole?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What type of a handguard does it have and how long is it?  How long is the gas tube, and how far in front of the barrel nut is the gas hole?
View Quote

Being that this was a piece by piece build and not a rifle bought complete the size handguard and gas tube could of been incorrect for the type of barrel bought.

It's a carbine length though, didn't even take into account the gas port on barrel. Now to figure out how to secure gas block so it doesn't come off when shooting, I don't think he will want to send it away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
My .02 is you should have someone who knows what they are doing assemble this rifle.

Adco has quick turn around time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My .02 is you should have someone who knows what they are doing assemble this rifle.

View Quote

Sound advice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Being that this was a piece by piece build and not a rifle bought complete the size handguard and gas tube could of been incorrect for the type of barrel bought.

It's a carbine length though, didn't even take into account the gas port on barrel. Now to figure out how to secure gas block so it doesn't come off when shooting, I don't think he will want to send it away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, fsb OR gas block???? Fsb is a gas block. Your gas tube will roll pin to the fsb/gas block, whichever you use.
Adco. Or possible fubar.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piece by piece build makes no difference, the gas ports on the barrel are at set lengths.

SystemBarrel Length        Port Distance

PistolLess than 10 inches4 inches

Carbine10-18 inches        7 inches

Mid        14-20 inches        9 inches

Rifle        20 plus inches       12 inches

This is the general, but you will find different length barrels with these port distances, for instance, my 16 inch 300 black barrel has a pistol length gas system.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sound advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sound advice.

Everybody has to start somewhere.  

pics would be helpful.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not my first build. Third actually. First carbine length. Just had a second of duh with the barrel gas port, that answered my question. First time with a fsb though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not my first build. Third actually. First carbine length. Just had a second of duh with the barrel gas port, that answered my question. First time with a fsb though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough. And I wasn't trying to be rude with my comment. I have a local armorer do a lot of work for me because I don't have all the tools for certain jobs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Midlength is roughly 9 1/4 inches from the front of the receiver to the back of the FSB/gas block.

Carbine is roughly 2 inches shorter than that.

Or post a photo it will be pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Piece by piece build makes no difference, the gas ports on the barrel are at set lengths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes for the barrel gas port it makes no differnce and I said that in my second paragraph but as far as the gas tube length and handquard length that wouldn't tell you if the barrel was mid length or carbine since they were purchased separately.

Anyways there's an AR shop about an hour away that explained a drill and tap method they use or I can take it to them and they can cut for the taper pins. I'm no stanger to drill and tap so I may do that but it's up to the person I built for since it's there gun. Of course I'll tell him the right way is to have it done by them so he can use the taper pins like it's suppose to be.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Unless you have the correct tools, you need to tell him to take it to a smith to set the FSB.  And yes, you can tell what it is by the gas tube length.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, it sounds like you are trying to pin the Front Sight Base in the M4 grenade launcher attachment barrel step. This is NOT the correct place to pin the FSB.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, it sounds like you are trying to pin the Front Sight Base in the M4 grenade launcher attachment barrel step. This is NOT the correct place to pin the FSB.
View Quote

After re-reading the OP I think he bought a stripped barrel and is thinking he can just put on a front sight base and slide the taper pins in, and is looking for where the pins go in. It doesn't work that way.

Quoted:
I just finished a build for a friend and when I went to put pins in the A2 sight/gas block the barrel was in the way which leads me to believe the barrel is mid length and it goes further up the barrel where it's narrower but I'm not sure, it fit perfectly other than the pins. The barrel is brand new and guy it was bought from said it was carbine length and had a brand new carbine length gas tube for it. How do I tell if it is truly carbine length or if it is mid length? What are the dangers of firing it how it's set up at carbine length and it's really mid length?
View Quote

A few words of explanation.

Barrels DO NOT come pre drilled for taper pins.

Taper pins ARE NOT standardized. A taper pinned FSB is drilled and pinned as an assembly with the FSB and barrel as a mated unit.

You need quality tools and attention to detail to successfully do a DIY taper pin job. It's not a trivial task.

If you want a barrel with a traditional pinned FSB, you are far and away much better off to purchase one made that way, instead of trying to DIY.

If the barrel is treated with a surface hardening process (nitride), it will be nearly impossible to do a successful taper pin installation.

There used to be a company that made a clamp on front sight base, but it's been discontinued. There are clamp on flip-up type gas block/front sight bases, but they're more expensive. If a flip up suits your fancy that might be something to explore though.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-m16-41-bl-silhouette-folding-front-sight-prod26728.aspx
http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186686&CAT=4292
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, pistol,  carbine, mid, and rifle describe the gas system, not the barrel. Not sure if you know that?
The distance from the chamber to the gas port determines what length gas tube you will need. If you can align the tube with the port and the fsb/gas block is in the correct position, then it is carbine. Provided that the gas tube you have is indeed a carbine length.??

If you are in position, and fsb pins will not insert, then the barrel is not drilled for taper pins (think you know that.)
Again, your description without pics is vague.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, pistol,  carbine, mid, and rifle describe the gas system, not the barrel. Not sure if you know that?
View Quote

Where the gas port is drilled in the barrel determines the gas system length, not sure why you could say it's not a description of the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, please don't take this wrong, and I don't care how many guns you have built, you don't seem to be understanding one of the fundamentals of AR platform guns, which leads me to advise you guys take it to a gun smith to have them do the work correctly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, please don't take this wrong, and I don't care how many guns you have built, you don't seem to be understanding one of the fundamentals of AR platform guns, which leads me to advise you guys take it to a gun smith to have them do the work correctly.
View Quote

And at least 50% of the "gunsmiths" out there who will gladly take your cash know less about the AR15 than the average GD poster and will screw it up. Seen that time and again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And at least 50% of the "gunsmiths" out there who will gladly take your cash know less about the AR15 than the average GD poster and will screw it up. Seen that time and again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR is so easy to put together.  That said, I will agree, the average home builder is not equipped to do a pin job on a FSB
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where the gas port is drilled in the barrel determines the gas system length, not sure why you could say it's not a description of the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, pistol,  carbine, mid, and rifle describe the gas system, not the barrel length . Not sure if you know that?

Fixed it.

Maybe worded that wrong. Was getting at barrel length alone does not determine barrel designation. Ie: car, mid, rifle. Gas port location does. I just ordered 2 14.7" barrels, one mid one carbine.

Sounded as if OP was saying his is a carbine based on bbl length alone .?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Since it never used a fsb before I didn't know barrel needed cut to put taper pins in. There's a hole on bottom of fsb that can be drill and tap to 10-32 and secured, AR shop told me that and I've seen it in a few posts on this forum. I am completely capable of doing that but instead I went to the AR store and bought a lo-pro gas block that uses set screws, gun is together and functions perfectly. Now waiting for the rest of my parts for my next build. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Do they even sell a 16" barrel with a mid length gas set up?
Brief glance looks to all be carbine length to be used with a lo pro gas block with set screw.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Brief glance looks to all be carbine length to be used with a lo pro gas block with set screw.
View Quote

Yes. I have 2. And a 14.5 middy.

Correction: 14.7".
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they do, Just ordered one on Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine they are pretty decent barrels.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm ordering one today from ballistic advantage for the build I'm working on, most if not all their 16" are mid length. My current AR is 16" mid length as well. The build this post was about was my first carbine length build and also my first time shooting a carbine length gas system, I don't really notice a difference but maybe some time shooting the carbine length I would start noticing something different between the two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top