Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 6:44:22 PM EDT
I have decided to register a lower as an SBR in the nect few months. I thought I would buy a reciever for just that purpose rather than use one of my current rifles.

Obviously I want one that will last. It won't be full auto so maybe I'm makinh more out of it than I need to.

I look forward to y'alls opinions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt, Nodak spud, or Mega would  be a good choice, imo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
All my registered SBR powers are PSA blems.  IMO, I think it's more important to assemble and check for function first rather than worrying about who made it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All my registered SBR powers are PSA blems. IMO, I think it's more important to assemble and check for function first rather than worrying about who made it.
View Quote

What he said. Mine's an Anderson.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I recommend getting one you really love the rollmark on and comes from a quality company. Not knocking the guys who've already posted but I think when you're looking at really cheap lowers corners were cut somewhere and problems may not manifest themselves immediately. Sure yours might be perfect but for an SBR where you're paying $200 tax and worst of all waiting months for approval I'd rather stack the deck in my favor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
No offense to the other guys as well. I made sure all my stamps were on lowers that I personally considered premium in my collection. BCM, DD, Noveske, and LaRue.

To each their own...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got SBRs on $40 gpi lowers, and I have SBRs on $200+ noveske lowers. All I ever cared about was to fit and function test them first.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recommend getting one you really love the rollmark on and comes from a quality company. Not knocking the guys who've already posted but I think when you're looking at really cheap lowers corners were cut somewhere and problems may not manifest themselves immediately. Sure yours might be perfect but for an SBR where you're paying $200 tax and worst of all waiting months for approval I'd rather stack the deck in my favor.
View Quote

Considering that they're only forged at a handful of locations, this doesn't make sense.

What problems with a lower wouldn't manifest immediately?

If the LPK installs flawlessly, mags drop free and uppers fit well, what could go wrong?  Weaknesses in the forging?  They're practically identical in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Noveske, BCM and Anderson lowers SBR'd. All work fine <shrug>
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Spikes and a BCM. No regrets on those.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got mega, aero precision and new frontier(billet 9mm). If I had to do more, Mega.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#11]
All the lowers.
That is your answer.
F1 all the lowers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
What all is involved in getting it engraved?  I'm assuming you wait til the tax stamp is approved, then what?  I'm currently building a pistol, but would like to start another build on a 12.5" SBR soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What all is involved in getting it engraved?  I'm assuming you wait til the tax stamp is approved, then what?  I'm currently building a pistol, but would like to start another build on a 12.5" SBR soon.
View Quote

I get mine engraved first. I'd rather not send off a registered lower that could get lost if I don't have to. Find someone close to do the engraving, or send it off.

I've used Gray Laser in San Antonio. Super nice guy, and good turnaround times.  

http://www.graylaser.com/
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I got mine engraved after I had the stamp. Some do it before submitting form in case engraver trashes your lower. I had local gunsmith mill the engraving in mine but a lot of places laser engrave them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I did the engraving before getting the stamp. Tar Heel State. Awesome work and turnaround.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
KAC SR-15, I got mine engraved at Ident Marking
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Another stupid question I'm sure: what exactly is engraved?  I mean, what do they engrave into the lower.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Considering that they're only forged at a handful of locations, this doesn't make sense.

If the LPK installs flawlessly, mags drop free and uppers fit well, what could go wrong?  Weaknesses in the forging?  They're practically identical in that regard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are forged on contract for say BCM, yes? Each contract would stipulate what their specific quality requirements are from the forge (batch testing for conformity vs individual verification). The final machining on the forged lowers is done by someone else and again each contract can have different requirements.

BCM has a good reputation because they source good parts and assemble them correctly.
Maybe I'm way off base but I don't think all parts are created equal.
It may only be a few % difference but for an SBR lower I'd want that.

I agree on the function checking on any lower before doing the nfa paperwork.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They are forged on contract for say BCM, yes? Each contract would stipulate what their specific quality requirements are from the forge (batch testing for conformity vs individual verification).
The final machining on the forged lowers is done by someone else and again each contract can have different requirements.
BCM has a good reputation because they source good parts and assemble them correctly.
Maybe I'm way off base but I don't think all parts are created equal.
It may only be a few % difference but for an SBR lower I'd want that.
I agree on the function checking on any lower before doing the nfa paperwork.
View Quote

Not my understanding.  Click here.

Yes, they are finished according to the brand names specs.  That's why I said install the LPK, make sure mags are problem free, and you're good to go.

As far as forged lowers go, you pay a premium for finish and the name on the side, and Mega has the gator grip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Aero, Mega, and a Colt m4a1 lowers that are sbr, one isn't better than the other in my opinion. Only real difference is the manufacturer's logos and engravings, fit and finish are all the same in my opinion. Some my have more sheen to the anodizing than others but that doesn't bother me any.

I always put a lpk in my lowers and put an upper on them to test function before I submit my stamp. Don't want to submit a form on a lower that is out of spec or doesn't function properly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#21]
You know what to do.

MEGAUL1 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1655-SBR Oblique by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Mega
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Mega ambi Billet
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The forging isn't an issue, the machining is.   Then you have the quality of the small parts.

Not all small parts are the same.  You generally see 3 types:

- Gun show Chinese crap.  Unless you're buying some Vulcan/Hesse abomination, you will almost never find these in a factory complete lower.
- The same parts almost everyone uses.  Think Stag LPK.    Almost all of these work just fine, and most gripes about them would be about cosmetics or finish.
- Really nice parts.   Example; take 10 brands of complete lower, compare the disconnector.   8 or so will be virtually identical, but 1 or 2 of them will be much nicer.  The difference will be obvious.

The NFA process costs enough time and money that the additional cost to get a really nice lower doesn't add much.   If you can afford it, not much reason not to.   I'm partial to getting an LMT or BCM complete lower and function testing it.

If you are pinching pennies already just to get a stamp, then buy an Aero or something and put a nice LPK in it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have decided to register a lower as an SBR in the nect few months. I thought I would buy a reciever for just that purpose rather than use one of my current rifles.

Obviously I want one that will last. It won't be full auto so maybe I'm makinh more out of it than I need to.

I look forward to y'alls opinions.
View Quote

My two SBR Tax Stamp lowers are a "US Property" marked RRA (remember them) and a Bushmaster.
My other lowers are LMT Defender 2000 and Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I've SBR'd 2 lowers, 1 RRA and the other a Black Rain Ordnance. I always figured that if I gotta drop an extra $200 for the stamp..I want it on something that's worth it. Yeah, there's a ton of Andersons, polymer and other off brands that have been stamped with no issues. But that just isn't my style. Get whatever lower you want, it's your money.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I've SBR'd Stag & Spike's lowers. No problems with any, and the Stag is a 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]
NoDak Spud makes some of the nicest lowers available. They are hand polished before anodizing and they are made on the tight side, for a nice fit.

That's what I used.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine..Colt,Colt,Colt & BCM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top