Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 12:15:02 AM EDT
So I live in IL at the moment and cannot have a suppressor

Running an 11.5" barrel for this particular AR.

At first I tried a BRT Linear Compensator. It wasn't really doing much for me. Sure it pushed everything forward but the fireball was YUUUUUGE,
Then I changed to a 4 prong short-vortex style flash hider. The flash was gone but the muzzle rise was annoying me (This isn't an issue on longer barrels however).
Then I switched to an A2 flash hider and feel like the flash got tamed as did the muzzle rise. The concussion isn't bad at all out of the 11.5" barrel. No worse than my 14.5" with an A2.

I feel like I transitioned from a $60 muzzle device, to a $20 muzzle device, to a $5 one and I'm quite pleased with it. Kind of weird how that works.

All of the prong designs though seem like they perform really well. Seems like the A2 gets the best of both worlds though, it acts like a compensator to a degree and a flash hider.

I do about 99% of my shooting indoors by the way.

Has anyone done something similar after trying out different muzzle devices?

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I still run good 'ol M16A1 20" for my non-exotics.I do have an A2, but that was just to complete the collection.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My AR of pick  A2
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry guys I edited the title to match the subject.

I meant the A2 Birdcage as a flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the A1. Works well they were $8.50 when I bought a box of them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Try a BCM Gunfighter comp. I'd say it is an improved A2. Though I've only shot an A2 on an M16A2 and M4/my civilian AR15, and the BCM comp is new on another AR15 in 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
All my ARs that aren't suppressor hosts wear A2s.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
All my AR's that are suppressed use an A2 Flash Suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The A2 birdcage is all I have ever ran on any of my guns there is really no reason to run anything else.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The A2 birdcage is all I have ever ran on any of my guns there is really no reason to run anything else.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Except my suppressor host. Got my Form 1 approved yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm using A1's when my direct thread suppressor isn't on, that way I can just hand tighten and not worry about timing. For non suppressed use I have no real reason to spend extra over an A2/A1
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]

The A1 and A2 flash suppressors are pretty good.  I use the AAC on both of mine.  Note there is a second test referenced in this article that has additional information.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Same. Couple of AAC, YHM, now back to A2 birdcage. Fine for all I do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At first I tried a BRT Linear Compensator. It wasn't really doing much for me. Sure it pushed everything forward but the fireball was YUUUUUGE,
Then I changed to a 4 prong short-vortex style flash hider. The flash was gone but the muzzle rise was annoying me (This isn't an issue on longer barrels however).
Then I switched to an A2 flash hider and feel like the flash got tamed as did the muzzle rise. The concussion isn't bad at all out of the 11.5" barrel. No worse than my 14.5" with an A2.

I feel like I transitioned from a $60 muzzle device, to a $20 muzzle device, to a $5 one and I'm quite pleased with it. Kind of weird how that works.

All of the prong designs though seem like they perform really well. Seems like the A2 gets the best of both worlds though, it acts like a compensator to a degree and a flash hider.

View Quote

i went even farther back in time and i use A1 flash hiders. fund they give a bit better performance in low light and never really felt the A2 was much better in dusty prone shooting, at least not in the AZ desert . sure its dusty but not like forest dust.

i still like the phantom style for the best flash hiding.

i did a POI test with A1 and A2's once. i had a scoped 16" AR15 that was zero'ed at 100yds with 69gr gold match. i swapped out the A1 for an A2 so i could play the reduced dust signature game and found that my POI went up by an inch or 2, cant recall exactly since its been 10 years. soon as i went back to the A1 it came right back down.

i can only guess the closed bottom created pressure to push it up. i've never gone back and re-tested this. maybe it was just a fluke? or i was dreaming?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I run an A2 birdcage on my carbine and YHM 5C1 or 5C2 Phantoms on my others.  The YHMs have objectively better flash mitigation than the A2, but are still very inexpensive at about $25.  Paying a lot more only gets marginal improvement over the Phantom.  It also has some modest mitigation against muzzle rise and does not throw dirt up when shooting prone, as it does not discharge gasses downward, only upward and to the side.  

The only difference between the 5C1 and 5C2 is whether the front edge is smooth or has some "points".  I got a 5C2 to begin with because it was the only Phantom I could find at the time.  I have since moved to the more conventional appearing 5C1, which otherwise has the same properties - a clear improvement over the A2 at a very modest price..
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no problems with using an A2.    It's the only compensator-ish thing I'd ever run on a rifle that isn't a larger precision platform.

If you're using it with night vision, fork over the cash for a 3 or 4 prong flash hider of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
They work great and are priced right.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]
3 out 4 of mine are A2.

Pinned 14.5 has a battle comp. Both sbrs A2, 16 sooper precision is A2 as well.

$10 is a win for the performance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#22]
No thanks.  One of the first things I throw away.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I love smoking people at matches who have full comp/adjustable gas/1 oz trigger race guns with my A2 + Red Dot.

Does a comp help?  Yes; however, if you have a good handle on the gun a flash hider can be shot pretty fast.

ETA:  One of my guns I ground of a pinned battle comp and pinned an A2X on it.  Got first place in the following match (small, local match - not like a state championship or anything ... )
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No thanks.  One of the first things I throw away.
View Quote

Well if you are throwing them away, throw them this way, I will take all I can get!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I generally run Phantoms.  They're inexpensive  and I have a lot less flash.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Shot timer doesn't lie. I have  much faster recovery times & followup shots using the Precision Armament AFAB compared to an identical rifle w/an A2 FH (and not much more muzzle flash).

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I put an AAC Blackout on my 10.5" as it is for HD so flash suppression at night was paramount.  That said, the lowly A2 delivers solid all-around performance for under $10, it is the best value.

I have a Phantom on a 14.5" and it is also a good performer and value at ~$20.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I replaced the X95 A2 with a Phantom. It's a better flash hider and has some compensation. And at ~ $25 it's one of the cheapest there is
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]
No I'm not.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]
a question for you guys running A2's....

are you doing it because they are current mil issues? there are better flash HIDERS out there.
because you lay on the ground alot and shoot? because shooting prone in combat doesnt really seems to happen. isnt it all about shoot-n-scoot?
because they act like a comp? ok

just curious what all the fan fare over A2's is, in case i'm missing the boat on this flavor of koolaide.

as for using comps for gun games, i can totally see using something for that. the one that came on my SCAR 16 was great at reducing muzzle rise, just a little loud but who cares in 3 gun right? just not on my bedside rifle!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I put an A1 on my carry handle AR. Why? Because it is a $5 thread protector that doesn't need to be timed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#33]
No, I use Vortex on my non-thread mount guns. They can be found cheap on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I never left.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
a question for you guys running A2's....

are you doing it because they are current mil issues? there are better flash HIDERS out there.
because you lay on the ground alot and shoot? because shooting prone in combat doesnt really seems to happen. isnt it all about shoot-n-scoot?
because they act like a comp? ok

just curious what all the fan fare over A2's is, in case i'm missing the boat on this flavor of koolaide.

as for using comps for gun games, i can totally see using something for that. the one that came on my SCAR 16 was great at reducing muzzle rise, just a little loud but who cares in 3 gun right? just not on my bedside rifle!
View Quote

Unless I am running a can, I have no reason to run anything but the A2, simple and more than effective for what I do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
here is a nice comparison...

flash hider / muzzle device testing
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

You can have both

Griffin Armament makes a QD for the A2 and A2 variants
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top