Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2016 7:56:47 PM EDT
I know this is probably beating a dead horse but would you guys enlighten me, as to the differences? I always thought that the angle on the end, determined milspec or commercial. I now find out the hard way, this isn't always true. I now know there is a diameter difference. So with this being said, can a commercial  tube, have a straight end? Vise versa, can the mil spec have an angle on it? I bought a CAR stock and four position tube, from Model one sales and I bought a more correct on off EE and the tube is too big. I took the stock off my rock river with a Magpul on it and the CAR fit fine. There's the story.
Jeb
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen commercial diameter tubes with a flat end, but never a mil-spec diameter with a angled ends.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
This should answer your question and some: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=620877
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
That kinda seemed like two guys who knew exactly the same stuff, arguing over the same stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That kinda seemed like two guys who knew exactly the same stuff, arguing over the same stuff.
View Quote

Bascially, "commercial spec" is just a catch-all for "non mil-spec". Commercial tubes are not guaranteed to interchange with other commercial tubes or stock bodies. Commercial tubes in "mil-spec diameter" will not meet mil-spec, but will mount mil-spec sized stock bodies.

There is in fact only one spec - mil-spec, and the rest are commercial, made of cheaper materials, using cheaper manufacturing processes, and not guaranteed to interchange with each other.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've seen commercial diameter tubes with a flat end, but never a mil-spec diameter with a angled ends.
View Quote

Double Star makes a mil spec with an angled end.  Does not work with stocks that have a closed end on them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
"mil spec" specifies dimensions and finishes. Literal milspec is specifications by the government of materials, dimensions, and finishes to ensure uniformity in guns, and interchangability of parts. For the M4 buffer tube, it also is specified as 4 positions ( see picture).

The colloquial term "milspec" refers primarily to the internal diameter of the tube, and the external diameter of the tube threads. I have a "milspec" buffer tube that has 6 positions and not 4. I've also seen "milspec" dimensional tubes that have the slant.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
So even with the thread differences, they will both fit on mil spec lowers, correct?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So even with the thread differences, they will both fit on mil spec lowers, correct?
View Quote

The only difference in the threads is the way they are made, they are both the same size and will both fit the lowers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Why did anyone bother making commercial spec tubed in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a market for it and it's one of many ways to keep the cost down. Some AR owners are not educated on the differences between commercial and "mil-spec". To some, all parts are created equal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cheaper to make. As I understand it, the commercial tubes have a larger diameter to allow cutting the threads, while mil-specs have rolled threads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cheaper to make. As I understand it, the commercial tubes have a larger diameter to allow cutting the threads, while mil-specs have rolled threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also there was no concern about interchangeability between manufacturers like there is today.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a time in history, where you could not buy mil spec stuff for the public.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

In addition to what others have said, there was a time when the TDP (technical design package) was exclusively held by a few companies, and other companies wanting to get in the market performed their share of reverse engineering and developing parts that were only in spec with their own processes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
There was also a time when it wasn't even leaked!

The pioneers of what becomes the commercial spec were working from photos of issue weapons at first.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know where I could get the actual Mil-Spec for the buffers ?  Leaked Colt TDP ?    There are a lot of vendors claiming they are selling true mil-spec tubes from original the supplier for the Mil.   But when you talk to them their tube threads are cut not rolled, tubes  not extruded and 6 holes not 4.   Some cases not even advertised as 7075 T-6.   The only thing that is close to Mil Spec is the tube diameter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I could get the actual Mil-Spec for the buffers ?  Leaked Colt TDP ?    There are a lot of vendors claiming they are selling true mil-spec tubes from original the supplier for the Mil.   But when you talk to them their tube threads are cut not rolled, tubes  not extruded and 6 holes not 4.   Some cases not even advertised as 7075 T-6.   The only thing that is close to Mil Spec is the tube diameter.
View Quote

Why not just buy a Colt tube?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top