Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 12:40:54 PM EDT
New guy here and I bought a Windham Weaponry WW-15 with the picatinny rail gas block, My gun.

I would like to add a Free Float rail to it, something around 12-13.5".  My question is do I need to buy a new gas block with it?  If so, any recommendations?
I was looking at this ALG rail.
Is there anything else I would need?  It looks like it comes with barrel nut and wrench

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally hate a picatinny gas block,,, would change it anyway.. That being said,, watch this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEBdzvuEzy4
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I'm not a huge fan either, got the gun from a friend.

Thanks for the video that basically answered my question. Next question is which gas block would I need/recommend?  .750"?  set screw/clamp?  Clamp seems like it would hold better?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes a .750 is what you need. A pinned gas block would be better, but that costs extra to do, and being under the rail, it's not going to be hit hard and knocked off center, so a clamp on should work fine.  And you can have the barrel dimpled just in case. I have a couple clamp on gas blocks, but they are .625.. I'm sure people here can recommend a decent one without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
ahh ok, I see you have to drill into the barrel for set screw.  That makes more sense.  Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you don't have to drill a dimple, it is just a place for a set screw to sit in just in case it was dropped. This is more for a clamp on front sight base like a normal A2 sight.
I have that, and a low profile type, neither are dimpled.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, you don't have to drill a dimple, it is just a place for a set screw to sit in just in case it was dropped. This is more for a clamp on front sight base like a normal A2 sight.
I have that, and a low profile type, neither are dimpled.
View Quote

I've also had good luck with blue Loctite and set screws without dimpling. The set screws take hold pretty well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top