Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2016 2:47:55 AM EDT
Searched for some recs on a 20 " -24" 5.56 barrel and wasn't coming up with many responses.  
I have a seekins lower and have decided on building a SPR on this one.   Accuracy is what I'm aiming for and i was wondering if any one had a few good recommendations on some manufacturers.  I'm running Yankee hill on one and stag on two but all are workhorse carbine builds. My knowledge of who to look in to,and if I should be looking at wylde as the chamber is bit lacking.  

My parts so far:
Seekins lower
Noveski adjustable gas block
Nickel boron bcg
Command arms srs
Geissele ssa
Random upper lol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a carbine length in stainless a few years back I liked from ER shaw. would stainless be the better choice for this bench type, even with the lowered life expectancy?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Larue Stealth barrels. They are on sale for 225 right now. Bad ass barrel. Wish I had the money, and I'd pick up 1 or 2 just because.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a carbine length in stainless a few years back I liked from ER shaw. would stainless be the better choice for this bench type, even with the lowered life expectancy?
View Quote

Stainless is preferred when accuracy is prized more than barrel life.  So yes, if you want the utmost accuracy you'll select a stainless barrel.

Bore linings (chrome, etc) introduce inconsistencies in the bore.  

I don't know your budget, but Kreiger, Lilja, Bartlein, Rock Creek, are higher end manufacturers.  Shilen, Rainier ultramatch, White Oak Armament, Compass Lake, are slightly less expensive.  The Larue Tactical stealth and predator barrels are even slightly less at $225.  Below those you have Ballistic Advantage, Faxon Armory, Green Mountain.

Start at the "top" and determine what you can spend.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check out the Larue Stealth barrels. They are on sale for 225 right now. Bad ass barrel. Wish I had the money, and I'd pick up 1 or 2 just because.
View Quote

$225 for standard feed ramps.  If you want M4 ramps, the barrel is $245.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I built one using the stag arms stainless bull barrel, 24". It shoots better than I can, with handloads using varmegeddons I can do 1/4" groups at 100. Took it after prairie dogs last month and its not one you'd want to carry around all day, but it was deadly on them out to about 450 on a head shot even.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Using a LaRue Stealth barrel for my accuracy project. I have high hopes that I can match what the barrel should be capable of.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a LaRue 16" stealth during the Taste of Texas sale and long with a PredatAR barrel.

I used the Stealth in a build. The barrel is terrific. I reload 55gr Hornady bullet for range fodder. I am able to get regularly put bullets through the same hole at 100yards with my LaRue and certainly can shoot 1" groups consistently with it at 100 yards. My club is expanding the range to 300 yards so I am excited to try it out that far.

I would say the LaRue is the best deal on a mtch grade barrel right now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The match grade longer barrels in up to 24" sizes are the domain of custom barrel makers like Lilja and Krieger, among others, who both make finished drop in barrels for AR15s.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Imo, the lower doesn't matter when it comes to accuracy, besides the trigger. You'd want a good upper especially if your going to 24" and a cut rifled barrel are more than likely to give you the best accuracy. So if it's not for competition or life/death any premium barrel maker will do in 416R.  So the barrels mentioned above are great. I'd also add Hawk Hill, Broughton, Brux, Hart and so on. Dustin @ Civ Tactical makes a great barrel out of a Shilen Blank.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top