Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 12:57:51 PM EDT
Working on a new build.  I have everything but the handguard.  Here's the lineup:

-Mega ambi billet receiver matched set
-LaRue Stealth 16" 5.56mm barrel
-LaRue low profile gas block
-Magpul CTR buttstock (possibly UBR, I have both on the shelf)
-Magpul MOE Plus grip
-SureFire ProComp muzzle brake

(I know that not all of this matters for a handguard discussion, but wanted to create an image)

So the dilemma is: do I stick with a quad rail, which I'm used to and of which there is still the largest selection, or do I go M-Lok or KeyMod...

The ideal rail length for this build is 10".  I like a little bit of gas block and some barrel exposed, I'm simply not into the look where the rail goes almost all the way to the muzzle device.  I like the M-Lok look more than KeyMod...which to me looks, quite honestly, like it belongs on a shelving unit.  I could probably get used to it though.  I like the idea of getting away from quad in general not having my hands cheese-grated when I shoot.  An additional challenge I am presented with is the Mega stripped upper...it's beefier than most, and not all handguards are 100% compatible with it.  I was looking at the Mega Wege-Lok handguards...look nice, but maybe almost too small in diameter and they jump from 9" (to short) to 12" (too long).  The Wilson Combat TRIM looks nice, not sure I like the way its ventilated though.  Yea, I want it to look real good, I have no problem admitting that, I already have my "utility" ARs.

Any comments / thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen any rail accessories that are only available for M-Lock or KeyMod and that I need, so I'm sticking with Picatinny.  With that said, I don't always go with a "quad rail."  

My last upper needed a free-float because of the short gas system I used, but I didn't need rails all over the place.  I went with a clone of YHM's old tube-style rails, and I'm currently deciding on whether to get longer or shorter rail sections for it.  I may wind up switching to a slightly different tube that has dedicated (and included) rail sections, but that's a decision for later.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 Yea, I want it to look real good, I have no problem admitting that, I already have my "utility" ARs.

Any comments / thoughts?

Thanks guys! [/span]
View Quote

Is this just a safe queen for looking at, or are you actually going to shoot it?    If you're just buying parts for looks, then buy whatever you think looks cool.   Nobody else knows what you think looks cool, because they don't think about what expensive rails look like - because that's not how most people pick their rail.

You say you already have your "functional" AR's.   Are they already set up with lights and IR lasers for your night vision?   If they're not, or you don't even have night vision, then no, you're not building a "cool" rifle to supplement your "functional" rifles.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any comments / thoughts?

View Quote

There's little reason to use a quad-rail these days, because obviously, if you need a section of rail you can add it to the location that it's needed with an M-LOK/Key-mod rail.  I'm slowly going to be replacing my quad-rails with M-LOK rails.

On one of my builds similar to what you're discussing, I only need a section of rail for mounting my quick-detach bi-pod mounts.

Every thing else is easily attached directly using M-LOK accessories.

Arisaka In-Line M-LOK mount.

Magpul cantilever M-LOK mount.

Magpul off-set M-LOK mount.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just going to suggest either the Geissele MLOK rail just like Stickman pictured or trying to find a Knights URX 3.1. Those are probably my favorite two rails on the market. I have yet to invest in anything MLOK or Keymod but, like you, I was definitely go MLOK because I also am not a fab of the keymod aesthetically.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Have all 3 types. I guess I prefer MLOK if I had to pick one. Keymod doesn't bother me though, love my KMR
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was actually going to mention the Geissele rails, they look decent...

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's little reason to use a quad-rail these days, because obviously, if you need a section of rail you can add it to the location that it's needed with an M-LOK/Key-mod rail.  I'm slowly going to be replacing my quad-rails with M-LOK rails.

On one of my builds similar to what you're discussing, I only need a section of rail for mounting my quick-detach bi-pod mounts.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/wix5il92ihdww88aqxga.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ujusl1fm087b8jfkwoqb.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/sxp7mwezniusq0urjr5l.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ebm35s0zc4kyno05wn08.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/g4irvc4duq52f2v366hn.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/1o8b1rxj1ncjqs8ruj06.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any comments / thoughts?

https://app.box.com/shared/static/wix5il92ihdww88aqxga.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ujusl1fm087b8jfkwoqb.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/sxp7mwezniusq0urjr5l.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ebm35s0zc4kyno05wn08.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/g4irvc4duq52f2v366hn.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/1o8b1rxj1ncjqs8ruj06.jpg

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the keymod. Mostly just because I think the slots looks better but I do not run a lot or if any attachments. I'd suggestjustbuying whatever you think looks good and whatever attachments you plan to run if they come in that version.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Geissele mk 4 on my mega billet set.

The Geissele anti-rotation tabs will need to be relieved on the id to fit over the mega upper.  It isn't difficult with a dremel, just take your time.  I touched the ground areas up with a birchwood casey pen and you'd never know it was modified.

If you're not willing or capable of doing the above, you'll want to look at a different rail.

ETA: I'd go with mlok over keymod or quadrail.  The military is considering mlok and it has the backing of Magpul.  IMO, keymod will go the way of the dodo in a couple years.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I prefer the keymod. Mostly just because I think the slots looks better but I do not run a lot or if any attachments. I'd suggestjustbuying whatever you think looks good and whatever attachments you plan to run if they come in that version.
View Quote

I have a KMR with keymod but I think MLOK will take over long term.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm also sort of waiting to see what the new LaRue handguards are going to look like.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a keymod fan. Yeah, it looks like shelving or penises or whatever some think, but the accessories I like are in keymod.  I have an mlok rail and while the rail itself is good, the system just feels cheesy to me. Accessories seem to require more fiddling and tools to put on. With keymod, in the case of my BCM foregrip, I can even remove it without tools. I have scout light mounts from two different vendors that fit perfect.

If I were in your boat, I'd look at the KMR rails. I like the NSR rails, but they dont come in 10".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my KMRs, however, if I were in the market for a new rail, I'd pick up a Centurion CMR without hesitation. It's up to you to decide KeyMod or MLok. I've use both and like them the same for different reasons. Of course, ymmv.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:I have a KMR with keymod but I think MLOK will take over long term.
View Quote

I think it already has.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
It seems the higher end brands are using Keymod while the more budget friendly brands are using Mlok, with Geissele being the exception. Don't know if that says anything but as long as folks like KAC, BCM and Noveske are using Keymod it's not going anywhere. And honestly both look like track shelving. When I was in high school I worked in a kitchen store and we used slatwall shelving that was identical to Mlok. I have and use both. Both work, period. If you like the look of Mlok better go with it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd forget about quad.  Too thick and heavy.  Keymod accessories are a lower profile, fwiw
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It seems the higher end brands are using Keymod while the more budget friendly brands are using Mlok, with Geissele being the exception. Don't know if that says anything but as long as folks like KAC, BCM and Noveske are using Keymod it's not going anywhere. And honestly both look like track shelving. When I was in high school I worked in a kitchen store and we used slatwall shelving that was identical to Mlok. I have and use both. Both work, period. If you like the look of Mlok better go with it.
View Quote

While the majority of these companies offered only KM for a while, nearly all of them now offer MLOK options.  Geissele, KAC, DD, Noveske etc. all now offer MLOK options with their handgaurds (Geissele doesn't even offer KM anymore).  It pains me to say after being an early Keymod adopter, but I think KM is on the way out and MLOK is becoming the more popular attachment method.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, If you don't want to put on heat shields to keep you from being burnt or "grated" then that is on you for choosing not to do so, and is your own fault for deliberately letting this happen.

Still waiting for myself to be "cheese grated" as the edgy words were used. This Omega must have missed that internet memo that it's supposed to grate me

The key to a good quad rail is for SBR's mostly because they are not heavy at all once properly selected for such a small package. M-Lok is what I prefer for all else. They don't look cheap, innovation-less or even tacky. When I mount things I want them to stay on and not come off. Each accessory is for that rifle and not for others.

I say pick what you want and just build your gun without overthinking it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why not the Mega Handguard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working on a new build.  I have everything but the handguard.  Here's the lineup:

Any comments / thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Why not the Mega Handguard?

They don't make the length I want, and I think the overall effective diameter is a little on the smallish side.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While the majority of these companies offered only KM for a while, nearly all of them now offer MLOK options.  Geissele, KAC, DD, Noveske etc. all now offer MLOK options with their handgaurds (Geissele doesn't even offer KM anymore).  It pains me to say after being an early Keymod adopter, but I think KM is on the way out and MLOK is becoming the more popular attachment method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh...maybe but I don't see Kmod going anywhere anytime soon. That being said I kinda wish I would have gone M-lok though only because of KDG. They have some fantastic offerings in QD accessories for M-lok.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I still prefer keymod.  Seems like more accessories are available in that format than in mlok.  The whole keymod vs. mlok thing is tarded with the politics behind it.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I still prefer keymod.  Seems like more accessories are available in that format than in mlok.  The whole keymod vs. mlok thing is tarded with the politics behind it.  

View Quote

What are the politics?  I haven't been following that aspect of it.  Curious to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What are the politics?  I haven't been following that aspect of it.  Curious to know.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing based on the smiley he chose, it's like the Left versus the Right. Each are set in their ways and will not give in to a compromise and things get emotional when either or go tit for tat in these type of threads. Those that like both are probably what we would consider to be Libertarians
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Well this thread got me paying attention to handguards.  So Aero Precision is having a sale on their 9" Quantum M-LOK handguard.. It's $69 with their barrel nut and shim pack.  So....  I'm expecting that the one I just ordered will arrive by the end of the week.  My YHM clone tube is going to be replaced with something not only better made, but more flexible too.  I'm kinda stoked.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd forget about quad.  Too thick and heavy.  Keymod accessories are a lower profile, fwiw
View Quote

I know it's not in favor now but my favorite rifle still has a DD Lite 10.0 rail on it. My newer builds have smoother style handguards but the quads still work fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would assume he's talking about BCM versus MagPul.

BCM won't carry anything M-LOK because KeyMod was developed by Eric Kincel, who works for BCM.

MagPul, of course, doesn't and won't support anything KeyMod because they want the world to standardize on M-LOK.  

The result isn't quite a deadlock, but neither seems particularly ready to concede the "modular mounting system wars" any time soon.  I suspect that it's unlikely that either will until a major U.S military contract, and maybe not even then depending on what system it is.  

MagPul likely has more reach, recognition, and saturation, but BCM has a certain cachet among self-styled "professional gunfighters."  

A lot of other companies are stuck in the middle with some picking sides and some simply supporting both.  

The reality is that for all practical purposes, they may as well be the same thing, and most of the accessories that people get hung up on mounting could be easily direct mounted to just about any handguard with some ingenuity and some machine screws, and for anything that actually needs to hold zero (i.e. actually be stable), most people still rely on rails, so most handguards have full top rails and/or fixed rail sections in addition to their "modular mounting system."

The way people argue, you'd think they're mounting all sorts of life-saving, mission critical equipment to these things, when in reality it's mostly a lot of sound and fury about which aftermarket light mount and hand-stop they're going to buy and what kind of press-on rail covers they'll get to use.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#29]
What Augee said...I have all three and like the MLOK better.  It just seems less busy looking.  There is no shortage of add ons for both KMOD and MLOK.  When you look at someones rifle with quad rail, they are usually covered with something to protect your hands from getting cut up or damaging the rails.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

BCM won't carry anything M-LOK because KeyMod was developed by Eric Kincel, who works for BCM.

MagPul, of course, doesn't and won't support anything KeyMod because they want the world to standardize on M-LOK.  

The result isn't quite a deadlock, but neither seems particularly ready to concede the "modular mounting system wars" any time soon.  I suspect that it's unlikely that either will until a major U.S military contract, and maybe not even then depending on what system it is.  

MagPul likely has more reach, recognition, and saturation, but BCM has a certain cachet among self-styled "professional gunfighters."  

A lot of other companies are stuck in the middle with some picking sides and some simply supporting both.  

The reality is that for all practical purposes, they may as well be the same thing, and most of the accessories that people get hung up on mounting could be easily direct mounted to just about any handguard with some ingenuity and some machine screws, and for anything that actually needs to hold zero (i.e. actually be stable), most people still rely on rails, so most handguards have full top rails and/or fixed rail sections in addition to their "modular mounting system."

The way people argue, you'd think they're mounting all sorts of life-saving, mission critical equipment to these things, when in reality it's mostly a lot of sound and fury about which aftermarket light mount and hand-stop they're going to buy and what kind of press-on rail covers they'll get to use.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee

Soon, that's why I can't get the BCM stubby grip for MLOK. I guess I'll have to buy one of the MI Keymod to MLOK adapters.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been a big fan of quad rails, most specifically the Centurion Arms C4.  With that being said, the Geissele MLOK offering have really caught my eye and if I decided to do another build I may go that route.  I do not like keymod at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been a big fan of quad rails, most specifically the Centurion Arms C4.  With that being said, the Geissele MLOK offering have really caught my eye and if I decided to do another build I may go that route.  I do not like keymod at all.
View Quote

KeyMod is probably an excellent attachment system, I just can't get past the shelving look.  I wish I could, honestly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top