Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 5:13:42 PM EDT

I like these, but I'm not sure which one to go with. Or should I look at a different barrel? Any help is appreciated.

AR15performance barrel

Faxon gunner barrel with gas block I would have to wait who knows how long to buy one of these because AIM won't give an ETA

Spike's FN CHF barrel

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at Green Mountain barrels
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at Green Mountain barrels
View Quote

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-16-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-nato/
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you prioritize accuracy over lightweight, this is a pretty killer deal:

DD 16" S2W

(edited to fix shitty mobile link)
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

DD 16" S2W
View Quote

While a good price, this barrel is quite the boat anchor in regards to weight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD 16" S2W

(edited to fix shitty mobile link)

It's a pound heavier than DD's LW profile, so as I said up front, it's not light, but the OP didn't provide any info on his priorities.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I don't want or need a heavy barrel.

Man barrel shopping is tough...
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but you can help narrow down the options by identifying the main purpose of the rifle - HD, plinking, 3-gun, bench shooting, hunting, etc.  Make that decision and it will help drive some of the features, like:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

The budget is also key.  What do you want to spend?  You can always find an inexpensive barrel.  No problem there, but there is a reason people pay more.  Of course, it's not always justified based on intended usage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, but you can help narrow down the options by identifying the main purpose of the rifle - HD, plinking, 3-gun, bench shooting, hunting, etc.  Make that decision and it will help drive some of the features, like:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

The budget is also key.  What do you want to spend?  You can always find an inexpensive barrel.  No problem there, but there is a reason people pay more.  Of course, it's not always justified based on intended usage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

HD, plinking, and some bench shooting for fun.

16 inch
mid length
I would like to shoot 55gr, 62gr, and some heavy match bullets just for fun

$289 with gas block would be at the top of the budget...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

16 inch
mid length

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

16 inch
mid length

Free floated, or traditional front sight?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

16 inch

mid length

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

barrel length

gas system length

construction

lining

twist rate

support for 5.56

16 inch

mid length

Look into Ballistic Advantage.

I have a Hanson series 16" SS middy that was only $245 with a pinned low-profile gas block.

On sale for $220: http://ballisticadvantage.com/shop/barrels.html?barrel_length=38

Direct link to the 16": http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-hanson-625-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

16 inch
mid length

Free float. It is going in this Mega billet upper and lower.

" />

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a Hanson series 16" SS middy that was only $245 with a pinned low-profile gas block.

On sale for $220: http://ballisticadvantage.com/shop/barrels.html?barrel_length=38

Direct link to the 16": http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-hanson-625-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

16 inch
mid length

That looks like a good deal but I'm not sure if I want to go with a stainless steel barrel. Do you know if those are button rifled or polygonal or 5R rifling?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the barrel you seek. I have a couple of them and they shoot fantastic. They are Green Mountain blanks and are well made and would fit your needs perfect.
Enjoy
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That looks like a good deal but I'm not sure if I want to go with a stainless steel barrel. Do you know if those are button rifled or polygonal or 5R rifling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

barrel length

gas system length

construction

lining

twist rate

support for 5.56

16 inch

mid length

I'm not certain. Ask BA.

Why no SS?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI, you can buy that Faxon barrel direct from Faxon, or from Black River Tactical.  No need to wait.  I recently bought one myself, on Black River's Labor Day sale.  I haven't installed it yet so no range results, but I love the profile.  I think it will be just the ticket for a light, fast-handling fighting rifle.  In the interests of maximum reliability while fouled, I like that it is a 5.56 chamber, instead of some sort of hybrid match chamber like a Wylde, like ARP uses.  I also like how they specify 4150 barrel steel and MP inspected.  It will definitely be the lightest weight and best handling of the barrels you are considering.  The ARP will be the heaviest (straight .7" profile), and the Spike's will be in between (slightly lighter than gov't profile forward of the gas block).  You can't argue with the price on the Faxon, either.  I have been really impressed with what I've seen from them so far.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#16]
eta on the Faxon with pinned gas block is a couple of weeks.

I'm down to either the Faxon 16 inch mid length gunner profile with pinned gas block  $189.95

OR

The Spike's Tactical FN Cold Hammer Forged 16 inch mid length barrel with pinned gas block. $289.95

Should I get the Faxon and put the $100 difference towards ammo or just get the Spike's?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:21:15 AM EDT
[#17]
They are all good barrels.  I have a 14.5" mid-length ARPerformance barrel and its very nice.

The Spikes is as real nice barrel but they pinned the gas block which may or may not pose a problem for you.  

Take a look at Ballistic Advantage also.  

http://ballisticadvantage.com/shop/barrels/556-nato.html

I have one of their Hanson series 10.3" 300BO barrels.  Again....very nice!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrel length
gas system length
construction
lining
twist rate
support for 5.56

16 inch
mid length

This.....BA are very nice barrels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is the barrel you seek. I have a couple of them and they shoot fantastic. They are Green Mountain blanks and are well made and would fit your needs perfect.
Enjoy
View Quote

Yup....Great deal!  I am almost tempted to get one but they are carbine gas system and I prefer a mid-length.  For 110.00 very much worth it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Enjoy
View Quote

Are you measuring any groups? If so, what are you getting? I've seen that deal and been thinking about picking one up to have on hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top