Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2015 7:59:43 AM EDT
Which system to you like better and why?
Which is a more secure mounting system? Easier to install accessories?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got 1913, Mlock, and Keymod. The Mlock accessories feel more solid and i think it looks cooler than the Keymod slots. YMMV

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
M-lok

I don't like dicks all over my rails.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I already have keymod, so I have no plans to switch now. I would probably do MLOK if I had nothing, but seems like there are plenty of accessories for both.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Mlok is the best designed - but all 3 are here to stay.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer M-lok. Very solid lock up for your accessories and I must say its a hell of a lot better looking than the key mod slots.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
M-lok FTW   The only downside I have found is because there is less metal on the hand guard it heats up much faster than a typical quad rail
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't matter. All are more than strong enough to do the job. Just use whichever comes on the rifle you want. Of all 3, picatinny is the easiest to use.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
M-lok
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M-lok FTW   The only downside I have found is because there is less metal on the hand guard it heats up much faster than a typical quad rail
View Quote

I found the opposite true.  Less metal with more ventilation dissipates heat much more quickly
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Even with owning both I prefer keymod, but I would like to use the VFG and AFG from magpul so I'm still thinking what I'll use on the 2 I'm building currently.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Keymod cause imo the BCM KMR is the best tube rail out right now, and for the foreseeable future.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Keymod cause imo the BCM KMR is the best tube rail out right now, and for the foreseeable future.

View Quote
You clearly haven't used a Geissele rail

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Btw, mlok is easy to install and very strong and secure
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending what you mean by best.....you could be right.....

I have two Geissele rails....
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see your kmr and raise you the Midwest industries SSM Mlok.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]
KMR is the lightest and has one of if not the best clamping method to attach it to the barrel nut IMHO. That said if KMR came in MLOK (which it never will) I would buy an MLOK KMR over keymod simply based on asthetics. That said I would buy a KMR and if KMR didn't exist I would get a Giessle MLOK.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got the Geissele and the KMR,  I prefer the Geissele MK5 keymod
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even a comparison.  The barrel nut/clamp design is far superior on the KMR.  I have both rails. The MI uses friction and a pinch bolt (oh and locktite on the barrel nut per instructions).  The little anti rotation tabs are tiny aluminum teeth that can bend.  Pics of this have been posted on this site.

The KMR has a positive locking mechnism that is well thought out and makes the forearm impossible to rotate or slip off.

As far as key mod vs M Lok. I also have both, and think M lok is a superior system. If the KMR was Mlok, that would be the only forearm I would use.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer keymod.

Easier to install accessories and swap between rifles.  MLOK mounts are a PITA to set up since magpul coats their screws with that thread putty.  If you don't set them right, they won't rotate the 90 degrees and grab the rail; you need to physically look inside the rail and verify that its mounted properly, otherwise you may not figure it out until stuff comes off or comes loose.

Keymod has a circular notch that indexes within the keymod slot, meaning the fore/aft pressure isn't on the bolts.  Its on the solid metal piece that you're mounting to the rail.  Its PLENTY secure.

I have both, both are good systems.  I find keymod to be more user friendly by far.  I find MLOK to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Nobody here mentioned the URX4 as a badass rail.  It is
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I skipped right over Keymod and went straight to MLOK as soon as it came out. Works great for me, very solid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I went with a mix:

1913 where I'm most likely to mount something up; M-Lok where it's most likely to just be a nice gripping surface.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not even a comparison.  The barrel nut/clamp design is far superior on the KMR.  I have both rails. The MI uses friction and a pinch bolt (oh and locktite on the barrel nut per instructions).  The little anti rotation tabs are tiny aluminum teeth that can bend.  Pics of this have been posted on this site.

The KMR has a positive locking mechnism that is well thought out and makes the forearm impossible to rotate or slip off.

As far as key mod vs M Lok. I also have both, and think M lok is a superior system. If the KMR was Mlok, that would be the only forearm I would use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you seen the MI Gen 3 with its attachment method?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you seen the MI Gen 3 with its attachment method?
View Quote

For those who haven't.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Iphone doubletap
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I have both but definitely prefer Mlok.

Keymod isn't going away though. It's everywhere!!

" />
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have both but definitely prefer Mlok.

Keymod isn't going away though. It's everywhere!!

http://<a href=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/slaughterhouse1/6E12872D-9DB3-4607-A94F-500215BC5DEA_zpsynitliaz.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Isn't that M-Lok on top, too?  Tactical Tote!

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
1913 Picatinney universality for me.  Some companies do make modular rails that are 1913 only.  That means I do not have to buy anything special or new, can run any accessary I have anywhere I want it, have an otherwise smooth rail, and don't have to try to follow fashion trends. Lever operated 1913 mounts abound.  Properly designed with a strong proprietary barrel nut and strong anti-rotation tabs (see example below) they are fully the equal of any other mounting system in reliability.

The modular rail on the Daniel Defense DDM4V7 is one example.  Sold separately, it is called the MFR 12.0.  Mine is shown below, completely slick except for a small mini-rail bottom front for a bipod or alternatively a weapon light.  Note that you can even put one or more of the mini-rails at 45 degree offset, something some KeyMod and M-Lok rails still lack.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
1913 Picatinney universality for me.  Some companies do make modular rails that are 1913 only.  That means I do not have to buy anything special or new, can run any accessary I have anywhere I want it, have an otherwise smooth rail, and don't have to try to follow fashion trends. Lever operated 1913 mounts abound.  Properly designed with a strong proprietary barrel nut and strong anti-rotation tabs (see example below) they are fully the equal of any other mounting system in reliability.

The modular rail on the Daniel Defense DDM4V7 is one example.  Sold separately, it is called the MFR 12.0.  Mine is shown below, completely slick except for a small mini-rail bottom front for a bipod or alternatively a weapon light.  Note that you can even put one or more of the mini-rails at 45 degree offset, something some KeyMod and M-Lok rails still lack.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/F70BEB32-703B-45BE-A414-57D464044DA1_zpsbjokhdqx.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got 5 keymod rails and love them, I just ordered my first mlok rail today for my newest build.  
Variety is the spice of life.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Agreed.  I have 3 KMR rails and just got a Troy M-Lok.  I love 'em all.  

Quoted:
I've got 5 keymod rails and love them, I just ordered my first mlok rail today for my newest build.  
Variety is the spice of life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I use a Guntec M-LOK rail. Very light, good price, easy install. I love it.

I used to run Keymod, over time, the mounts would work themselves loose. I love my Guntec M-lok rail :P

My mini review here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/676235_.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an issue with the key locks facing the wrong way.  But it may just be me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I like Mlok...

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Keymod (crappy iPic)
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Handed both,I have the Geissele MK8 and it makes a nice thump when you tap it vs my buddies kmr13,it doesn't flex as much either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
As I don't usually mount many accessories other than vertical grips, I haven't found any system to really be lacking in ease of use or stability.  In the process of switching over more of mine to key mod.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have an issue with the key locks facing the wrong way.  But it may just be me.
View Quote

It's just you... What is KeyMod? A Technical Look at the Standard
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
M-lok

I don't like dicks all over my rails.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just you... What is KeyMod? A Technical Look at the Standard

Probably.  I just find it odd that on the bottom where one attaches a vertical grip you have to push forward and tighten the mount when all the force of the grip will be coming back at the shooter.  It's like taking the shelf klok system and doing it upside down.  The weight bearing part is directed towards the open area.

Edit: watched the video.  Makes sense now, no more worries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top