Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2015 9:40:43 PM EDT
Does anyone still use quad rails? If so for what reason? And would the ones from Daniel Defense be good-to-go?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I do. The reason I do is because I really like the RIS II. I like being able to place any M1913 accessory anywhere I want. Nothing wrong with wanting something lighter though.

The Daniel Defense Lite Rail and SLiM rail are good to go IMO.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense rails are absolutely good to go!

I held onto my quad rails for a long time. Handled a KMR upper one time and said 'FUCK THIS'.

Sold all my quads and I'm never goin' back.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I still use quad rails because I like them, and they do what I need them to do. Larue, MI, Troy, YHM, DD, VLTOR, Diamondhead, you name it, I've got it.
I've not jumped on the Keymod bandwagon, and I see no reason to ditch what I have to do so.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The KMR, key mod, etc look weird to me.

I have held my brothers 11.5 KMR and it seems a tad lighter that my Centurion Arms C4. But it's too thin for my taste.

BCM had the KMR in stock but I paid a bit more and bought the standard 11.5 w/10" CA C4 and don't regret it one bit.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I still exclusively use quad rails. For drop in (KAC M4 RAS) and free float (DD RIS II)

DD is absolutely good to go, for drop in and free float.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my quad rails and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon, but direct attach accessories just make more sense in my opinion.  I'm not mounting much on my rails, so all that rail space seems unnecessary.  I like my DD rails quite a bit.  I've used a bunch of rails over the years,  DD and Centurion are my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll never get rid of my DD quad rail, the rifle it sits on holds too much sentimental value.

That said, I went modular on my next two builds. You don't have to go key mod though.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still using quad rails for the majority of my rifles.  I've come to really like the Centurion Arms C4 line of rails and have three of them, two 12" installed and a Carbine Cut-Out waiting on a potential future SBR build.  I've also got a KAC RAS on my M4 Block I clone.  I've tried a Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS and didn't like it, I also had a Keymod rail and wasn't a huge fan.  Something just keeps drawing me back to quad rails.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
One rifle using quad rail one using keymod. I like them both. I just hate the fact that keymod rails sections alone run $15+, some of the accessories are nuts.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have quad rails, Keymod rails, and MLOK rails.

Quite honestly, I like them all.    

As to your second question, yes, DD makes a fine quad rail.  Depending upon what you're trying to do, the recommendation for which specific model might change.  For a standard FF with a proprietary barrel nut, I'd say the Lite Rail III.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll never get rid of my DD quad rail, the rifle it sits on holds too much sentimental value.

That said, I went modular on my next two builds. You don't have to go key mod though.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/285/19029322000_ca9b2cf22d_h.jpg

View Quote

What rail is that?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I use quad rails because I use rail covers to give my hand some shielding and more of an air gap to the barrel.
Plus I just like a larger grip area.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like my quad rails and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon, but direct attach accessories just make more sense in my opinion.
View Quote

Picatinny/1913 rails are also a direct attach system.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I won't be getting rid of my rails anytime soon but if/when I get another rifle it will have a keymod or mlok system.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I like quads on some of my builds.  It's nice being to swap gear out quickly and not having to worry about loosing a rail attachment.  They don't add very much weight if you go for the lightweight versions.  Seekins SAR, Spikes SAR3 and MI's gen 2 LW rails are all good options.

DD is of course good quality gear, I think some of their newer gear has lost a bit of weight.  

Lately I've been going cheaper  I'm mainly mounting a bipod, foregrip or sights out front, so in-spec rails aren't as important.  As long as they don't break during use  I plan to beat on some of the cheap chinese rails for a bit and see how they hold up.  I've already got fancy stuff on my go-to weapons, these are just toys.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Ha, touche.  I didn't word that very well.  You know what I mean

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like my quad rails and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon, but direct attach accessories just make more sense in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like quads on some of my builds.  It's nice being to swap gear out quickly and not having to worry about loosing a rail attachment.  They don't add very much weight if you go for the lightweight versions.  Seekins SAR, Spikes SAR3 and MI's gen 2 LW rails are all good options.

DD is of course good quality gear, I think some of their newer gear has lost a bit of weight.  

Lately I've been going cheaper  I'm mainly mounting a bipod, foregrip or sights out front, so in-spec rails aren't as important.  As long as they don't break during use  I plan to beat on some of the cheap chinese rails for a bit and see how they hold up.  I've already got fancy stuff on my go-to weapons, these are just toys.
View Quote

No No no. No cheap stuff. You're going to clone your service rifle w/ Elcan and you're going to like it, damnit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No No no. No cheap stuff. You're going to clone your service rifle w/ Elcan and you're going to like it, damnit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like quads on some of my builds. It's nice being to swap gear out quickly and not having to worry about loosing a rail attachment. They don't add very much weight if you go for the lightweight versions. Seekins SAR, Spikes SAR3 and MI's gen 2 LW rails are all good options.

Lately I've been going cheaper I'm mainly mounting a bipod, foregrip or sights out front, so in-spec rails aren't as important. As long as they don't break during use I plan to beat on some of the cheap chinese rails for a bit and see how they hold up. I've already got fancy stuff on my go-to weapons, these are just toys.

I've got to keep my BumpSAW fed, not to mention the BumpBAR I'm working on, this get's expensive
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got to keep my BumpSAW fed, not to mention the BumpBAR I'm working on, this get's expensive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like quads on some of my builds. It's nice being to swap gear out quickly and not having to worry about loosing a rail attachment. They don't add very much weight if you go for the lightweight versions. Seekins SAR, Spikes SAR3 and MI's gen 2 LW rails are all good options.

Lately I've been going cheaper I'm mainly mounting a bipod, foregrip or sights out front, so in-spec rails aren't as important. As long as they don't break during use I plan to beat on some of the cheap chinese rails for a bit and see how they hold up. I've already got fancy stuff on my go-to weapons, these are just toys.

As in WW2 RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT 30-06 B.A.R.? AKA my favorite machine gun on the planet B.A.R.?

If so completely ignore my first statement.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

As in WW2 RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT 30-06 B.A.R.? AKA my favorite machine gun on the planet B.A.R.?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish, mine will be 308 from an AR10 varient, it will go RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT until the mag is empty though.  It's time to take the BumpSAW up in size
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wish, mine will be 308 from an AR10 varient, it will go RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT until the mag is empty though.  It's time to take the BumpSAW up in size
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damnit. I was hoping you were converting a semi B.A.R. to bump.

The AR10 still sounds badass though, have you considered .458 SOCOM instead?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIPI've got to keep my BumpSAW fed, not to mention the BumpBAR I'm working on, this get's expensive

I wish, mine will be 308 from an AR10 varient, it will go RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT until the mag is empty though. It's time to take the BumpSAW up in size

And I thought feeding a 700rpm .308 was going to be expensive!  Lol, might as well go .45 Raptor at that point.  I wonder if they would feed from a X-products .308 drum

So far I've got an 80% lower, BRO trigger (with markings milled off), 15" chinese rail, Spikes melonited gas tube, Tubb 308 spring, 18" mid gas barrel, a beater $50 upper and associated small parts for the lower.

I think I'm going to combine an EFX stock with a MIAD grip to build the bump stock.  I'm going to need a new set of lower mods to make the bump action work.  This would be easier just to make a real MG, lol.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And I thought feeding a 700rpm .308 was going to be expensive!  Lol, might as well go .45 Raptor at that point.  I wonder if they would feed from a X-products .308 drum

So far I've got an 80% lower, BRO trigger (with markings milled off), 15" chinese rail, Spikes melonited gas tube, Tubb 308 spring, 18" mid gas barrel, a beater $50 upper and associated small parts for the lower.

I think I'm going to combine an EFX stock with a MIAD grip to build the bump stock.  I'm going to need a new set of lower mods to make the bump action work.  This would be easier just to make a real MG, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIPI've got to keep my BumpSAW fed, not to mention the BumpBAR I'm working on, this get's expensive

I wish, mine will be 308 from an AR10 varient, it will go RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT until the mag is empty though. It's time to take the BumpSAW up in size

Sounds like a good start to me. If you can afford an MG I say do that instead lol, projects are always good too though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sounds like a good start to me. If you can afford an MG I say do that instead lol, projects are always good too though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP I wish, mine will be 308 from an AR10 varient, it will go RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT until the mag is empty though. It's time to take the BumpSAW up in size

And I thought feeding a 700rpm .308 was going to be expensive! Lol, might as well go .45 Raptor at that point. I wonder if they would feed from a X-products .308 drum

I think I'm going to combine an EFX stock with a MIAD grip to build the bump stock. I'm going to need a new set of lower mods to make the bump action work. This would be easier just to make a real MG, lol.

I can't afford a real one right now.  I was just pointing out it's easier to make a real machinegun than a custom bump gun that acts like a MG without being one.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What rail is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/285/19029322000_ca9b2cf22d_h.jpg

What rail is that?

SLR lite 15" MLOK

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top