Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:01:48 AM EDT
I've seen this question asked before, but it's been awhile, and it seems like there's been an explosion of lower receivers these days. So what's the best AR lower these days with pros and cons? Fit, finish, compatibility of mag manufactures, features, weight, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So what's the best AR lower these days with pros and cons?
View Quote

The one with a legal FA FCG.

What features are you looking for?  Best is subjective.  You will get everybody's opinion on the best looking rollmark.

To that end; I will take a Mega forged, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no best. I prefer A2's though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The one you like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one you like.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

Pick your favorite rollmark or company.

If you need full ambi controls, that would narrow your choices more, but essentially, a lower is a lower.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess it's pretty subjective, so can one say that since a lower doesn't take much of the brunt of the explosion of shooting, it still comes down to roll marks? Are ambi's, flared mag wells, and billets, worth the extra cost over say an Anderson lower?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess it's pretty subjective, so can one say that since a lower doesn't take much of the brunt of the explosion of shooting, it still comes down to roll marks? Are ambi's, flared mag wells, and billets, worth the extra cost over say an Anderson lower?
View Quote

I guess I read this wrong the first time. In my opinion no. Unless you can benefit from the ambi lower. I probably wouldnt, because all I really care for as far as ambi goes is CH and safety
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The one you like.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]

For me anyways.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The one you like.
View Quote

Indeed. There is no "best" lower, other than all the lowers that are in the same spec.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone above me is wrong.  

Best forged is this:

Best Billet is this:

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, it's a beauty contest! Now I get it. They sure are purty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Anderson
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Purely aesthetically based but these are my choice as well.  LWRC makes a good lower as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#14]
AXTS or KAC. But you are gonna pay accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Mega for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#16]
They are all the same in the lower world pick a tool mark and pay acordingly.

Noveske =/= Tapco or Anderson lowers
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
"Best" is very subjective and depends on what you value most? Cool rollmarks, resale value, machining, finish, etc.? Forged vs Billet?

Nothing wrong with Billet lowers but I don't find them worth the added cost or weight so I stick with forged. YMMV?

Colt lowers will always have the best resale value. Next to them would be any other well know manufactures like S&W, RRA, etc. vs. something like Anderson Arms or Aero Precision, etc.

Cool rollmarks is completely subjective.

Fit in finish? I've owned and built a number of forged lowers from many different manufactures and IMO, no one does forged lowers better then Mega Arms IMO. What I also love about Mega Arms is their uppers and lowers are always a perfect match (fit and color wise) so they are usually my go to brand.

The good news, there really aren't any bad lowers. As long as they are in spec, they will all work equally well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The ADM full ambi lowers are pretty compelling, and IMHO reasonably priced for what you get: $240 here.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've seen this question asked before, but it's been awhile, and it seems like there's been an explosion of lower receivers these days. So what's the best AR lower these days with pros and cons? Fit, finish, compatibility of mag manufactures, features, weight, etc.
View Quote

These are TROLL questions and completly subjective to personal taste. . If the Lower is to MIL spec it works PERIOD.... Many companies make them from small time machine shops to large scale big name for anyone to answer your question would be nearly impossible.

I have an Anderson that works just as good as my Daniels. It's the components within the lowers that seperate one from the other.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Mega for me.
View Quote

Hands down, and hands on...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#21]
anderson,LRB,....any good forged lower will do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]

There are a lot of nice receivers out there. I do like my Balios Lite set!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct materials and dimensions are the most important aspects to a lower.

As for the other subjects you're asking about, it really depends on the activity you're expecting to perform with that gun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Built my father-in-law a rifle using the new CMT ambi lower.  He's left handed so it made sense to spend the coin.  I really liked the placement of the mag release; I actually thought it was easier to use than the normal mag release.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Defining what makes a particular lower the "best" tends to be a very individualized process. What it all boils down to is finding something that YOU like, then verifing that it is made to spec.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
The best...hmmmm.....well for me the best is what ever you can buy before 2016.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For me anyways.
View Quote

Quoted for truth.

That said, it's all subjective. Any of them in spec will fit the needs of any user. Some users just have different wishes, likes, etc. than others.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I consider Mega to be  the industry standard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.spikestactical.com/spikes-tactical-billet-lower-gen-2-p-1203.html little spendy though
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Seekins makes nice stuff and no not all lowers are the same.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

http://www.spikestactical.com/spikes-tactical-billet-lower-gen-2-p-1203.html little spendy though
View Quote
That does look nice!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That does look nice!   http://www.spikestactical.com/spikes-tactical-billet-lower-gen-2-p-1203.html

Holy shit that's ridiculously expensive. Plus it still has the Spikes logo on it. Since what has been seen cannot be unseen, I could never have one of their standard lowers, let alone spending $450 on one
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Holy shit that's ridiculously expensive. Plus it still has the Spikes logo on it. Since what has been seen cannot be unseen, I could never have one of their standard lowers, let alone spending $450 on one
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That does look nice!   http://www.spikestactical.com/spikes-tactical-billet-lower-gen-2-p-1203.html

Hmm, 10 pack of Andersons or 1 Spikes Ambi Billet?  Decisions...

In reality if I decide to do an ambi build it will probably be with an AXTS or ADM lower as they are both significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
One thing that should be noted is that the stripped AXTS AX556 is no longer available for purchase separately. It is now only available thru AXTS via purchasing an entire overpriced rifle. Needless to say I'm very glad I picked my AX556 last year.

So as of today, IMHO, the Battle Arms Development is the best of the forged offerings based on looks and execution. My personal favorite billet lower is the CMT Tactical Ambi Lower. If I do another ambi build it's utilize one of CMT's match sets.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Just received my lower from MCKAY ENTERPRISES. Perfect in every way with no roll mark.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just received my lower from MCKAY ENTERPRISES. Perfect in every way with no roll mark.
View Quote

+1. I have 2 Mckays that look great and are well made. They are also reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Pick a roll mark that you like, That is Milspec and go with that one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd opt for a matched set of MEGA forged upper & lower
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
One thing that should be noted is that the stripped AXTS AX556 is no longer available for purchase separately. It is now only available thru AXTS via purchasing an entire overpriced rifle. Needless to say I'm very glad I picked my AX556 last year.

So as of today, IMHO, the Battle Arms Development is the best of the forged offerings based on looks and execution. My personal favorite billet lower is the CMT Tactical Ambi Lower. If I do another ambi build it's utilize one of CMT's match sets.
View Quote

As much as I think that is a sexy lower, even at the price.. as a full rifle....AXTS can pound sand. CMT here we come...
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

That said, it's all subjective. Any of them in spec will fit the needs of any user. Some users just have different wishes, likes, etc. than others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

Another vote for 2A! My personal favorite, very high quality. there are lot's of nice options and creative designs these days so the choices are endless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The AX556 is really tough to beat and when it was available relatively expensive.  I did not get one ordered in time, and if offered in the future would not hesitate to purchase.  Nevertheless, I ordered the forged A-DAC-F with Rainier roll mark and am very happy with the purchase.  Fit and finish is spectacular on the lower and I am very pleased with the results:

" />
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Tier 1 operators use only the most tactical equipment. Don't sell yourself short on firepower
http://i.imgur.com/aFmTkfd.jpg

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#47]
The best is one that meets your needs, at the best price for your needs.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Of the many I've built, I've found them to be pretty much all the same.
I do however, tend to like the lower's manufacturer to match the upper.
Just my little quirk.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Another vote for the 2A Armament Balios!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tier 1 operators use only the most tactical equipment. Don't sell yourself short on firepower

View Quote

This. But only if you pew.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top