Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:18:07 PM EDT
I got this ol' AR I want to spruce up a bit; It's kinda heavy. It's got a YHM mid-length lightweight handguard (12oz), and an RRA 16" mid length gas stainless barrel (???) I'm unsure of the profile but check the pictures.

I would like to maybe re-profile the barrel under the handguards (any idea what profile it currently has?) and flute or dimple in front of the gas. I would also like to shave the FSB or get a low pro block, as well as one of these new fangled 13" lightweight keymod handguards. I understand that 13" will not be the lightest, but it will be the sexiest =). I'll be taking the barrel off myself and sending it out.

I'm open to all ideas, but I would like to keep the total cost below $250.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
On another note, this setup is extremely accurate, so I would like to retain as much of that as possible, and I don't mind a touch of weight if need be.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
A light profile barrel will save a few ounces, but you'll lose rigidity.  Fluting or dimpling will save 1/2-1oz, but you won't lose as much rigidity as a pencil profile barrel. You can cut a bit of weight (4-6oz, depending on length) with a kmr hand guard. Another 4 going to an aero or vortex 1pc Non-qd mount over the adm.

I'm not sure what the stock weighs, but you might be able to shave a few more there.

Lose the vfg and rail covers to save a few more.

Nothing else about it really screams heavy. Lightening a rifle can get expensive really quick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Bbl profile is the biggest factor in the weight of your carbine.

I have no use for HBs, personally.  A medium contour our will do everything you'd ever need it to do.

OTOH, I can make hits out to 400+ with my pencil bbls, so if you want light weight, you might consider a BCM enhanced pith weight bbl.

Light weight but fluted for rigidity. Get both.

I recently swapped my LT scope mount for an Aero Precision. Half the price and half the weight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A light profile barrel will save a few ounces, but you'll lose rigidity.  Fluting or dimpling will save 1/2-1oz, but you won't lose as much rigidity as a pencil profile barrel. You can cut a bit of weight (4-6oz, depending on length) with a kmr hand guard. Another 4 going to an aero or vortex 1pc Non-qd mount over the adm.

I'm not sure what the stock weighs, but you might be able to shave a few more there.

Lose the vfg and rail covers to save a few more.

Nothing else about it really screams heavy. Lightening a rifle can get expensive really quick.
View Quote

It doesn't have to be expensive.

He could sell those part and buy used light weight parts on the EE.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I'm going to throw out the barrel reprofiling or fluting idea because I keep reading about diminished accuracy, especially when done after rifling (with button rifled barrels).

This could get expensive =/

With the scope off the rifle, the gun feels much lighter and balanced. I think because the ADM is a bit heavy and it's mounted so far forward. Unfortunately I shoot NTCH so I find that I need the eye relief.

I currently actually have the covers and forward grip off, but I think the handguard is ugly. I think if I went to a slimmer rail I would be just fine without any extra grip and it would look better. Maybe I could compromise on the length to save weight.

So right now I'm thinking;
one of these sub 10oz handguards
low pro/shaved gas block
sell mount, use something lighter (gonna upgrade the scope as well)
I like the buttstock but I could get something heavier to help balance (UBR maybe but it's so expensive!)

And then I will probably just piece together another upper for a light weight setup.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You can definately save weight by reprofiling the barrel.  Looking at your pic, youse gotalot of crap stuck to it.  In trying to lighten a gun find 10 things to save an oz,  vs. one 10 oz thing.  And an UBR will undo any weight savings you are planning on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem isn't so much the overall weight. The problem is that it's very front heavy. I figure some more weight in the back and a little lightening of the front could solve that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So many shitty profiles out there, for people who never studied engineering.

Fluting is best for rigidity to weight ratio, followed by contour

Dimpling is a gimmick. Theoretically increases surface area improving heat dissipation but practically is worthless.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The problem isn't so much the overall weight. The problem is that it's very front heavy. I figure some more weight in the back and a little lightening of the front could solve that.
View Quote

I've already told you, slick.

Get a lighter profile bbl.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So many shitty profiles out there, for people who never studied engineering.

Fluting is best for rigidity to weight ratio, followed by contour

Dimpling is a gimmick. Theoretically increases surface area improving heat dissipation but practically is worthless.
View Quote

Yeah but fluting a barrel makes it less stiff. It's just more stiff at the same weight. From what I understand the proper way is to flute before doing the bore. Seems doing it after can cause stress in the barrel which can lead to a loss of accuracy especially after it heats up. Especially with a button rifled barrel. Guess what mine is.

I would assume that re-profiling would lead to the same issue. Correct me if I'm wrong because that is the obvious answer otherwise and I don't want to cut it, either.

I messed with a couple things on the rifle for now (moved the optic back some (but backup irons are now out front =/, put my AFG more forward, and it seems to have helped. I think for now I'm going to shave the FSB and put in a lighter handguard and get rid of the AFG as well as sell the scope mount and put in some lightweight rings/mount. This seems to be one of the lightest 1-4x's out there already. Gonna upgrade it soon though.

I'll update when I get the new stuff.

here is how she lies

-- edit --!!!!!!!
Moved the scope back in the mount, put the irons back where they were, took the afg off and tried the tlr-1 as a grip. I like it just as much as the afg!! The rifle handles sooo soo much better now. It's amazing how just a few inches can make such a difference. Might just leave it like this until I get a new scope. Although I still wanna get rid of that front sight.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest an AERO scope mount, change the stock to a BCM and another handguard (there are plenty around 8oz.).  That will save you a few ounces.

The other suggestion would be get a whole new barrel maybe a 14.5 lightweight profile.  

If your really committed it can be done even inexpensively if you shop and sell what you already have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
All 3 would be nice but probably will just do a lighter forend, mount and block chop. Moving the weight back has already made a huge difference
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Leave the barrel alone.
Carbon Fiber FF tube
CavArms/GWACS tupperware lower.

That's over a pound saved maybe more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah I'm not too fond of the tupperware lowers.

I went ahead and ordered an MI 12" rail that comes in at 8oz, and gonna shave the fsb, so that should save a few ounces up front. I was really close to ordering another barrel from customar15, but I'm going to hold off.  If it still feels too heavy I might try to reprofile under the handguard or get that other barrel. I have read reports from others about turning down their RRA/Wilson HBAR with no perceivable loss of accuracy, but I still haven't seen any solid evidence one way or the other.

This barrel has been so accurate and reliable and I do like the weight for follow up shots so I really want to make it work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a lighter scope mount from Aero Precision

Get rid of the FSB

Get a handguard in the single digits like a MI Keymod

Get a lighter weight stock like a B5 Sopmod Bravo or Magpul MOE

That should shave off close to a pound.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Build another rifle
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Build another rifle
View Quote

LOL I keep hearing that one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get a lighter scope mount from Aero PrecisionGet rid of the FSB

View Quote

I got the Nikon P-series rings which come in around 5 oz
Ordered the MI lightweight m-lok handguard
I like the stock but who knows. I really don't mind a little weight in the rear, just wanted to lighten up the front.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
That isn't heavy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Haha yeah I think it bothers other people more than me to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#21]
That's heavy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I like the stock but who knows. I really don't mind a little weight in the rear, just wanted to lighten up the front.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a lighter scope mount from Aero PrecisionGet rid of the FSB

Great start, and whats the total weight unloaded in its current form?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm unsure but the handguard comes in tomorrow so I'll weigh it before and after if I can. Somehow I forgot to order the rings though =(  I don't think my people scale will be accurate enough to weigh, although after searching, the RRA HBAR comes in at 45oz, although I'm not sure if that's including the FSB.

Also this scope supposedly comes in at 10oz and the Strike Eagle that will eventually be on it comes in at 17 so In the end it might end up the same without any work to the barrel. I like to shoot with my nose on the charging handle, but having the scope that far forward really makes the weight noticeable. I have been trying to get accustomed to being a little bit further back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top