Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 6:27:39 PM EDT
Just need some input.Would really like a melonite barrel in a 16" and a bit heavier than Gov. Contour. I like the Blackohole but it has no no melonite and I can get it OD Green also. Just looking for more knowledge than I have about barrels to purchase one. Money is not a huge issue but don't want to spend something stupid when I can get a decent priced one with about the same accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO melonite coating  is at it's best after a barrel has been broken in and certified the chamber is to spec.

Once it's there,you'll play heck getting someone to work on it.

BTW I've had 4 melonite style barrels with "Tight" chambers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My melonite barrels have been fine, no chamber issues.

My plinker is a CMMG SBN 16"...eats anything I can get in the mag. (5.56 chamber, 1/7)

My SPR is an 18" AR15Performance fluted...shoots XM855 well out to 700 yards. (.223 Wylde chamber, 1/8, 5r rifling)

The other is a 7.62x39, but have not shot it yet, though it will chamber and manually eject a round just fine.

Remember that melonite (or QPQ, nitriding etc) does not add to the chamber and bore walls, whatever its milled to, it stays at...its a chemical treatment at the molecular level, not a coating.

I recommend the ARP in either a 16" mid, or 18" rifle.  http://ar15performance.com/barrels

Its not stainless, but still a very high quality barrel for the $$$, and will last much longer than an untreated stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My melonite barrels have been fine, no chamber issues.

My plinker is a CMMG SBN 16"...eats anything I can get in the mag. (5.56 chamber, 1/7)

My SPR is an 18" AR15Performance fluted...shoots XM855 well out to 700 yards. (.223 Wylde chamber, 1/8, 5r rifling)

The other is a 7.62x39, but have not shot it yet, though it will chamber and manually eject a round just fine.

Remember that melonite (or QPQ, nitriding etc) does not add to the chamber and bore walls, whatever its milled to, it stays at...its a chemical treatment at the molecular level, not a coating.

I recommend the ARP in either a 16" mid, or 18" rifle.  http://ar15performance.com/barrels

Its not stainless, but still a very high quality barrel for the $$$, and will last much longer than an untreated stainless barrel.
View Quote

This...^^^.

I have an AR15 Performance 14.5mid-length 1/8 Wylde.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok all the AR Performance barrels that you guys suggest and have the specs I would want have 5/8-24 threads. I like the 16" 5.56 Fluted Socom weight barrel, 4150 CMV, Wylde chamber. I really like  and use the  Griffin Armament flash/comps, 5/8-24  threads are for the 7.62mm  and I am shooting 5.56  Will that matter throwing on a 7.62 comp on my 5.56? How do I fix that issue?  Price and value of Griffin is unbeatable to me plus I like their cans for future purchases.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The 7.62 will work just fine, though unless you actually have the can and are ready to use it, I'd recommend just getting the shorty brake that they make for the 5.56...works great on mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top