Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 8:00:16 PM EDT
I'm interested in putting a 24" heavy barrel upper on my Colt lower. The tightest twist I seem to be able to find is 1:8. One of my local shops has an upper with a Mossberg barrel. It's stainless, not chrome lined. $400.00
Anybody got some recommendations? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Opinions here run about 50/50 on the necessity/need for a 24" barrel as opposed to an 18 or 20" pipe.  I have a 24" barreled AR and I love it.  I only use it on a bench rest or prone with a bipod.  Definitely not a rifle I would ever carry around with me.

That said...take a peek at the AR barrels on this website: http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=250&page=1

Hope you find what makes you happy!!!

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you going to be shooting 80 - 90gr VLDs most of the time? If not, the 1:8 is fine.

When I get around to building a match rifle, I'm likely going with White Oak Armament.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What I've got right now is a pre-ban. I bought it after I got out of the Army in 1990. It's an A2- Sporter 2 lower. Slab side, no deflector. The upper is an A1, with fixed carry handle, and windage sight. It has the A2 front sight. 20" govt. profile, 1:7 twist. I've never fired it.
Last year, I bought a Colt A3 flat top upper, 20" 1:7 twist. I had to get an adapter pin because my lower is a large hole. And I haven't fired it, either.
I'm getting the itch to set it up with a bull barrel. I've found a guy that is interested in buying the A3 top. That would fund the new upper. Or, I could just buy a barrel and put it on the upper, too.
I hadn't put in the front of mind until today when the offer was made to buy my upper.
Thanks. Any and all input is welcome.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a complete stag upper 24" stainless bull and it stacks one on top of the other. Doubt there's more you could ask from it with factory ammo ymmv

Eta: spelling
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top