BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey all, hoping you guys can tell me what my personal preference is..  I'm feeling torn between  the 16" pencil and the 18" gunner.

Is it abuse to work through 4 or 5 mags on a <5minute drill with the 16" pencil? Normally we are to poor to train like that but it does happen.

Thanks :) can't wait to turn all my money into noise, with faxons help :)
View Quote

I'd go 16" GUNNER.  It is essentially goverment profile from the chamber to the gas block then pencil from the gas block to the muzzle.  Not much heavier than their pencil barrel but with a little extra meat where it counts.  The GUNNER is by far the best handling barrel I own.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I am looking for some info on these 11.5 Gunner barrels.  I was set on getting a 10.5" for my first build and first SBR but came across the Gunner 11.5 and wanted to see if my parts list will all work well.

Spikes Billet upper and lower
BCM enhanced LPK
Vltor A5 6positon buffer tube
Vltor buffer and spring set
Sionics NP3 coated BCG

That last part to my puzzle is the barrel.  Would it be good to run the 11.5 Gunner with the SLR 6 adj gas block on this setup?  I was looking at rails from SLR as well the Solo light and Solo ultra light and id like the gas block tucked and I will run a silencerco hybrid with the ASR quick mount system.

What would fit better the Solo lite 10.75" or will the 11" (they say 10.93"?) work?
If I do the solo ultra lite my options are only 10" and 11" (again they say 10.93").

Id rather the ultra lite I think but I want the can to be as close to the rail as possible and still be able to shoot without the can.

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
As much as I would love to read every single 49 pages looking for this info...... but has anyone used 77gr with these barrels yet?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As much as I would love to read every single 49 pages looking for this info...... but has anyone used 77gr with these barrels yet?
View Quote

My 18" GUNNER has been slightly sub MOA with both of my standard long range match hand loads of 77gr SMK's.  Haven't really drilled down into serious accuracy testing yet, but so far I've been extremely pleased and surprised.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Wondering about this item "coming soon" to joebobs. They call it a 11.5 Gunner Light, but it is fatter (.750 GBD) and heavier (1.5lbs) than the 11.5 Big Gunner? Are these stats correct?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Faxon_Firearms_11_5_Gunner_Light_5_56_Carbine_Len_p/fax-15a58c11nlq.htm
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

77 gr shoot good through my 16" pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Finished a build with an 18" gunner, and 5 minutes ago ordered a 16" gunner from AIM for a future build.

Excellent barrels!

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Those are the "standard" 11.5 GUNNER barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wondering about this item "coming soon" to joebobs. They call it a 11.5 Gunner Light, but it is fatter (.750 GBD) and heavier (1.5lbs) than the 11.5 Big Gunner? Are these stats correct?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Faxon_Firearms_11_5_Gunner_Light_5_56_Carbine_Len_p/fax-15a58c11nlq.htm

Those are the "standard" 11.5 GUNNER barrels.

Thanks for the info. I do not see this model on the Faxon site. Any idea when they'll be in stock? Any plans for a 11.5 Carbine .625?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#11]
So I'm assuming it's fairly easy to drive out the pin in the gas block to install the barrel nut and such?

Driving out the pins on some barrels is a PITA. Do Faxon's pins come out fairly easily and go back in just as solid?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I'm assuming it's fairly easy to drive out the pin in the gas block to install the barrel nut and such?

Driving out the pins on some barrels is a PITA. Do Faxon's pins come out fairly easily and go back in just as solid?
View Quote

Mine did.  Get a heavy hammer and make that first hit count.  If you deform the end with a few hesitant love-taps, life is much harder.  
Once the pin moves, it's "fairly" easy.  Mine went back rock solid.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Assuming you are speaking on the FSB, yes.

For the pinned gas block versions sold by AIM, the gas block is loosely attached, not pinned from the factory (just drilled). Its then easy to drive the pin in after installation of the barrel nut.

-Nathan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the pinned gas block versions sold by AIM, the gas block is loosely attached, not pinned from the factory (just drilled). Its then easy to drive the pin in after installation of the barrel nut.

-Nathan

Ahh ok gotcha, I thought they came pre-pinned with the low profile gas block.

So does the barrel come with the pin or do we need to get a pin somewhere else?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pin is included. The barrel is pre-drilled to accept the complete assembly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Nathan

Ahh ok gotcha, I thought they came pre-pinned with the low profile gas block.

So does the barrel come with the pin or do we need to get a pin somewhere else?

Thanks!

Pin is included. The barrel is pre-drilled to accept the complete assembly.

Oh good, that's what I was hoping.

And just to clarify, the barrels from AIM will come the same way? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my 11/5" and im looking at the SLR 6 adj gas blocks...clamp on or set screw version?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Thats what everyone says lol.  It will be protected under a 11" hand guard...maybe ill just flip a coin.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wanted to let Nathan and the Faxon crew know that I am very pleased with my 14.5in Gunner barrel. It is really good looking, super light, and very accurate. It is a fantastic value. Thanks guys!

PS - any chance you'll do a run of 450 Bushmaster barrels and bolts? There are a bunch of guys in Michigan that would pop for them before November 15th. I'd happily volunteer to test one of your premium barrels

Jeff

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Great to hear!

We have the capability and tooling for the caliber, but sadly, its not very popular to justify the expense of getting special extensions manufactured and the barrels run. Sadly, it will not be likely we will have that caliber in the short-term.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wanted to let Nathan and the Faxon crew know that I am very pleased with my 14.5in Gunner barrel. It is really good looking, super light, and very accurate. It is a fantastic value. Thanks guys!

PS - any chance you'll do a run of 450 Bushmaster barrels and bolts? There are a bunch of guys in Michigan that would pop for them before November 15th. I'd happily volunteer to test one of your premium barrels

Jeff

Great to hear!

We have the capability and tooling for the caliber, but sadly, its not very popular to justify the expense of getting special extensions manufactured and the barrels run. Sadly, it will not be likely we will have that caliber in the short-term.

Bummer. I'd jump for a .450 Bushy too, as I believe I can actually use that in Ohio for deer. A GUNNER profile barrel in .450 Bushmaster would be legitness.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#26]
14.5 GUNNER

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#27]
How far will the gas block stick out on an 11.5" mid barrel with a 10" rail?
Centurion c4 10" is what I'm planning on using.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
The .308 20" Heavy Fluted came back in stock today.  Ordered one within minutes of getting the stock notification email.

Looking forward to finishing this new upper before deer season!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#31]

18" rifle gas 1:8 on this one.

I switched the gas block out because I'd purchased a PRI .750 which looks very similar to a KAC.

I plan on using the nitride gas block on a stainless barrel just for a little contrast.  I think it'll look pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Any chances of a 308 flame fluted 18" in production?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I may have gotten a lemon barrel. What do I need to do?

Faxon 18" 308 Medium Taper Mid-Length Barrel

I'm barely able to get 3-4 MOA with the barrel. I ruled out the scope being the issue. I can take the same ammo and shoot sub MOA with it in a different gun. I'm not expecting sub MOA out of the thin barrel, but pretty sure it should shoot better than 4 MOA.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you put "Front toward Enemy" on the barrel? If you can then put me on the list. I'm in the market for one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, but we have to catch up with current demand first!

The FLAME is patent-pending so expect to see it across a few product lines here in the near future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chances of a 308 flame fluted 18" in production?

Yes, but we have to catch up with current demand first!

The FLAME is patent-pending so expect to see it across a few product lines here in the near future.

Cool, can save up the money. Maybe send me an email when it begins?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I am now!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

-Nathan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Nathan

This is good to know, as I just ordered my 4th Faxon barrel from AIM and was curious about the pin.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm torn, 16" pencil barrel or the 16" Gunner. Lightweight build, what are the pros and cons of these two barrels. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm torn, 16" pencil barrel or the 16" Gunner. Lightweight build, what are the pros and cons of these two barrels. Thanks
View Quote

Personally I don't think the Gunner has any cons in this comparison.  It is only a few ounces heavier than the pencil barrel but tolerates heat better because it is thicker where it needs to be.  It is plenty light and very shootable.  To me that makes an excellent combination.  Pencil is also very light but I prefer a the better heat resistence of the Gunner.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Personally I don't think the Gunner has any cons in this comparison.  It is only a few ounces heavier than the pencil barrel but tolerates heat better because it is thicker where it needs to be.  It is plenty light and very shootable.  To me that makes an excellent combination.  Pencil is also very light but I prefer a the better heat resistence of the Gunner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.  I'd go GUNNER for a working rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#47]
^^This is what I was thinking. I have another rifle with a Faxon 14.5" pencil  barrel and have no problems with it, but it's only a weekend plinking rifle. I wanted a light work rifle and I think the gunner is the best of both worlds. I went ahead and ordered one from AIM surplus. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you plan on mag dumps, go GUNNER. For anything else, go pencil.

Most are shocked what a well built thin barrel can do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even after a mag dump, the shift is repeatable and predictable.  Group size does open up of course, but not nearly as much as would be expected.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Shift? The barrels should not be shifting (just opening up) unless other components are deflecting the barrel?

If yours is, please e-mail me. We'll get that swapped ASAP!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even after a mag dump, the shift is repeatable and predictable.  Group size does open up of course, but not nearly as much as would be expected.

Shift? The barrels should not be shifting (just opening up) unless other components are deflecting the barrel?

If yours is, please e-mail me. We'll get that swapped ASAP!

It's minimal and nothing that affects shooting.  Group center seems to go maybe one MOA high and right when it's really warm, which isn't a huge deal.  It's just an open-sight rifle, and not intended for precision work, so I keep it under 300 yards (which keeps it minute of coyote).  It does far better than I could have asked for out to that range that it's not an issue.  Believe me, if it had been, we'd have chatted already.  Obliged though!  
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top