Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel just showed up. When my kids aren't running around the house climbing the walls, I'll post up a first impressions with pics and what not.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't do anything but remove the packaging and protective caps and snapped pictures.

The barrel 14.5" Gunner

Muzzle

I tried to snap some of the chamber and rifling as well, but they didn't come out all that great. Now I just need to order the gas block, gas tube and muzzle device. Then final assembly can take place and off to the range!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We just received a batch from Faxon.  14.5's included.

http://www.righttobear.com/FAXON-FIREARMS-AR15-s/1883.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Nathan, any idea when Brownells will be getting more of your 14.5" pencil barrels?

Thanks!

We cannot directly advise on lead times to our dealers. However, we typically now have batches of all our most popular barrels no more than 2-3 weeks apart if they sell out.

We just received a batch from Faxon.  14.5's included.

http://www.righttobear.com/FAXON-FIREARMS-AR15-s/1883.htm

Thanks to both of you. The bbl was actually already ordered by a frend with a bunch of other parts but I think he waited until the day they ran out to order. Sounds like it shouldn't be to long though.

ETA: SailorJ it looks like you're already out of stock on the 14.5's again, must be a popular setup
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A few weeks. It sold out far faster than we expected, but another run was already started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any idea when y'all will have the 18" govt profile w/ rifle gas back in stock?

A few weeks. It sold out far faster than we expected, but another run was already started.

Any update on the these ? There is a Mega Arms barrel in stock at a local dealer that keeps propositioning me to take it home, but it's a bit heavier than I want.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If I am reading the specs correct for the 18" barrels, both the gunner and the govt/socom have the same profile under the handguards, but gas block to muzzle is the only difference (which makes the gunner 1/2 pound lighter)?

Maybe this is my simpleton misconception that thicker automatically equals better, but would the socom give me any advantage over the gunner? Is the gunner going to be as durable longevity wise?

ETA: My goal for this rifle is mainly for 3 gun matches (so it will have an 15" handguard) and some 0-400 yard shooting. Anything beyond that I have my Rem 700.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The GUNNER was specifically designed for 3-gun. As a 3-gun shooter myself, I wanted a profile that balanced the need to handle "hoser" stages that get barrels hot while keeping enough meat to be accurate for those long shots that stage designers often put after a few hoser targets.

To your questions:
-Yes, that is the difference and the reduction is that much.
-It will be the exact same longevity for any of our barrels, regardless of profile (*unless firing full-auto, but that's another matter entirely).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I am reading the specs correct for the 18" barrels, both the gunner and the govt/socom have the same profile under the handguards, but gas block to muzzle is the only difference (which makes the gunner 1/2 pound lighter)?

Maybe this is my simpleton misconception that thicker automatically equals better, but would the socom give me any advantage over the gunner? Is the gunner going to be as durable longevity wise?

ETA: My goal for this rifle is mainly for 3 gun matches (so it will have an 15" handguard) and some 0-400 yard shooting. Anything beyond that I have my Rem 700.

The GUNNER was specifically designed for 3-gun. As a 3-gun shooter myself, I wanted a profile that balanced the need to handle "hoser" stages that get barrels hot while keeping enough meat to be accurate for those long shots that stage designers often put after a few hoser targets.

To your questions:
-It will be the exact same longevity for any of our barrels, regardless of profile (*unless firing full-auto, but that's another matter entirely).

Thank you, sir. Just ordered a gunner from Rainier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To your questions:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To your questions:

This is exactly why I went with one of these.... Now I just need to put it all together.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Just ordered a 10.5 lightweight 300blk from Rainier Arms. Can't wait to try it out
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Since you are answering questions.

How confident can I be of concentricity on an 11.5" GUNNER.  I will be using a thread on suppressor and don't want to worry about baffle strikes.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you think the 14.5 gunner will have slight accuracy degredation with a suppressor hanging off the end as it heats up?  I'd love to try one but worry about that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Perfectly confident. All Faxon barrels are guaranteed to be concentric to the bore for suppressor use. We turn all our barrels centered to the bore to ensure concentricity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since you are answering questions.

How confident can I be of concentricity on an 11.5" GUNNER.  I will be using a thread on suppressor and don't want to worry about baffle strikes.

Perfectly confident. All Faxon barrels are guaranteed to be concentric to the bore for suppressor use. We turn all our barrels centered to the bore to ensure concentricity.

Great to hear.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking at your 16" FLAME Fluted, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length, 416-R Stainless Steel QPQ

Any idea when this might be back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Thought I would post a pic of my two Faxon barreled rifles. The FDE one is runnig a 16" flame fluted barrel and the bottom one is using the 16" pencil. That gun has a full mass BCG but weighs in at 4.9lbs as pic'd. I will be using Faxon for a 300bo and a 308 builds in the future.

I like that you guys are now offering 5r barrel options. Perhaps you might introduce 6.5 Grendel barrels in the future.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thought I would post a pic of my two Faxon barreled rifles. The FDE one is runnig a 16" flame fluted barrel and the bottom one is using the 16" pencil. That gun has a full mass BCG but weighs in at 4.9lbs as pic'd. I will be using Faxon for a 300bo and a 308 builds in the future.

I like that you guys are now offering 5r barrel options. Perhaps you might introduce 6.5 Grendel barrels in the future.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu343/evsalty/fun/rifles/ar%20lw%20fde_zpsbvflwdma.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking rifles.  Is that a 12" handguard on the fluted barrel?

Does anyone have a pic of a 16" fluted with a 9" handguard?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To your questions:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To your questions:

I'm really wanting to try the 18" Gunner for this reason. I need to lose some weight off the front of my rifle. It's got a SPR profile on it now, and if I'm doing the math right, I could lose almost a full pound. I originally built it for bench shooting, but now the purpose has changed. Do you happen to have handy the weight of the 18 gunner w/ gas block installed? 1.44 barrel alone, and I imagine the gas block is negligible, but just curious.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm really wanting to try the 18" Gunner for this reason. I need to lose some weight off the front of my rifle. It's got a SPR profile on it now, and if I'm doing the math right, I could lose almost a full pound. I originally built it for bench shooting, but now the purpose has changed. Do you happen to have handy the weight of the 18 gunner w/ gas block installed? 1.44 barrel alone, and I imagine the gas block is negligible, but just curious.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To your questions:

I just got an 18" GUNNER in today, with Faxon's gas block. I was very impressed by both, and their .625" gas block is SUPER light. They note .07lbs (1.12 ounces) on their website. I believe it.

I hope to get the upper sighted in this evening after work.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just got an 18" GUNNER in today, with Faxon's gas block. I was very impressed by both, and their .625" gas block is SUPER light. They note .07lbs (1.12 ounces) on their website. I believe it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To your questions:

Wait, you mean I could've looked it up and then ... added them together somehow? What are you guys, wizards? I blame lack of coffee this morning, also that I'm an idiot.

But regardless, I'm gonna have to get me one here pretty soon. That 14.5 gunner is also calling my name for a different build.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I thought I found the flame flutted 16" I was looking for. Vendor showed as in stock.  Order is shown as back order.  Seller is  firearms for less.  Man I feel taken.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Got the 18" GUNNER sighted in today at 50 yards with my favorite ADI 55gr Blitzking load.

It's only 50 yards, but I was impressed with the 10-shot group I shot to confirm the zero that I had just walked in...

I'd say she's a shooter

Barrel is free-floated in a 15" Geissele SMR rail with a Vortex FH (which looks huge due to the GUNNER's profile).

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#31]
nice shooting Maud
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Looking at purchasing a 16" gunner with your ultra low profile gas block for a 3 gun build in the very near future!

Any idea if your gas block will fit in a centurion CMR fore end with out modification? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

nice shooting Maud
View Quote

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Flame in 16"

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]
How does it shoot blessed1- any range report?

I am waiting for mine to arrive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#37]
11.5 big gunner. Geissele 9.5 mk4 smr

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Shot at 100 yards lying prone using an old range bag for a front rest... lying slightly downhill feet to head and left to right side.

64 grn. Nosler Defense 12 round group...lost count. 2MOA Aimpoint H1.

She likes the 60's grain stuff more than the 70's. Just got some .223 69 grn.  Federal Gold Medal Match but haven't had occasion to shoot it yet.
75 grn. .223 Hornady TAP (not FPD) and CBC Magtech 5.56mm 77 grn. was around 3.5" with a mean radius of 1.1" ish for both.

That said, it shot all those rounds to or WITHIN the dot, on average (mean radius), at 100 yards. I personally can't ask more from the barrel/ammo.
She's a gassy thing though, .81 if I remember correctly. I'm running the Vltor A5 setup with a A5H4 (-4) buffer and a green Sprinco spring. May want to consider an adjustable gas block, depending on your personal setup.
This rifle started life as a factory DD V7 with a 12" MFR and a 16" .gov profile barrel. This setup now is SO much lighter on the front end its ridiculous. Shaved around a half pound (if my math is right) off the front.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my 18" gunner a while ago, but I finally got the rest of my parts today. Cant wait to get it out to the range.

Mega upper and lower
Magpul MOE rifle stock
Seekins 15" MCSR handguard
SciCo ASR FH

And of course, the 18" gunner
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shot at 100 yards lying prone using an old range bag for a front rest... lying slightly downhill feet to head and left to right side.

64 grn. Nosler Defense 12 round group...lost count. 2MOA Aimpoint H1.
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t473/Glockman1968/Nosler%20Defense%20.223%2064grn..jpg

She likes the 60's grain stuff more than the 70's. Just got some .223 69 grn.  Federal Gold Medal Match but haven't had occasion to shoot it yet.
75 grn. .223 Hornady TAP (not FPD) and CBC Magtech 5.56mm 77 grn. was around 3.5" with a mean radius of 1.1" ish for both.

That said, it shot all those rounds WITHIN the dot, on average (mean radius), at 100 yards. I personally can't ask more from the barrel/ammo.
She's a gassy thing though, .81 if I remember correctly. I'm running the Vltor A5 setup with a A5H4 (-4) buffer and a green Sprinco spring. May want to consider an adjustable gas block, depending on your personal setup.
This rifle started life as a factory DD V7 with a 12" MFR and a 16" .gov profile barrel. This setup now is SO much lighter on the front end its ridiculous. Shaved around a half pound (if my math is right) off the front.
View Quote

Try some 77gr Sierra Match Kings or Nosler CC. I've had rifles that were extremely accurate with 77's and would only group 2 MOA-ish with the Hornady 75. Other rifles that would shoot both well.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Try some 77gr Sierra Match Kings or Nosler CC. I've had rifles that were extremely accurate with 77's and would only group 2 MOA-ish with the Hornady 75. Other rifles that would shoot both well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CBC Magtech 5.56mm 77 grn. was around 3.5" with a mean radius of 1.1" ish for both.

See above. CBC is a MK262 Mod1 clone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I have 16" flame fluted on order.  Any update on when these are shipping to vendors?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm sure you have been asked this, but any thought on offering the GUNNER is stainless also? Also when stamping and engraving, is there a suggestion on how to protect the bare metal? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#46]
.223 75gr. Hornady TAP (not FPD) with a called flyer when I sent it downrange. Hit where I thought, so did not include in group.

All vertical.... whjch I'm good with.

5.56mm 77 gr. CBC Magtech. A bit more...... spread out..
The POA was about the same as you can see. These were off of the Noslers, roughly, by a 1/2" to 3/4" low/left. Note the ATC MOA for these and my target above. 1 MOA average using a 2 MOA dot.... Thats what shes capable of right this minute. Buy with confidence.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Is anyone using a faxon 308 barrel with an Aero m5 upper? How is it running? I'm considering the 16" mid-length gas system barrel for my build. It will be used with a suppressor at times
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is anyone using a faxon 308 barrel with an Aero m5 upper? How is it running? I'm considering the 16" mid-length gas system barrel for my build. It will be used with a suppressor at times
View Quote

I've got one on an Aero M5E1 Enhanced Upper.  It runs great.  
I'm sure it's already part of your build plans, but you'll want an adjustable gas block.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Okay, Nathan I am curious now. Are you the "Nathan S." that writes on thefirearmblog.com? I was reading  the home based FFL articles and saw this -

Its been an exciting year for me personally, with the move into the industry and a move over to Cincinnati for my role at Faxon.
View Quote

Great articles by the way.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top