Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:33 PM EDT
How does one determine what stock position to use? Do you just roll with whatever is comfortable?

What do the experts say on setting length of pull using an adjustable length stock?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Highly dependent on what type of shooting you're doing.  

If you're shooting in close, transitioning targets, etc. then you want it in close, put the stock on your chest, bring your head down to it, slide it in until your nose is resting gently on the charging handle.

If you're shooting prone, bladed, etc. then you want it as far out as it goes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
At Front Sight (the only formal training I have) they taught to shoot from a bladed "aggressive forward lean." The rule of thumb was "your nose should be two fingers from the charging handle."

Works for me unless I'm shooting prone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Highly dependent on what type of shooting you're doing.  

If you're shooting in close, transitioning targets, etc. then you want it in close, put the stock on your chest, bring your head down to it, slide it in until your nose is resting gently on the charging handle.

If you're shooting prone, bladed, etc. then you want it as far out as it goes.
View Quote

This.

It's also going to depend on what your level of training is and what type of gear you're used to using.

Me, the majority of training I've gone through teaches to square up to the target (keeps your body armor in the position where it's most effective) and to get your nose onto the CH.  For this type of shooting, I find the stock being shorter helps.

Others are taught the bladed stance (if squaring up to a target isn't a priority because you aren't wearing body armor, I find this more comfortable) which allows for a longer stock length.

This is all really in reference to reactive type shooting where you're shooting offhand without any support.

If you're shooting prone, the longer the better IME.  Prone is about the only time I can stand using a fixed A2 stock.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever works best for you. I like one notch open/nose to CH. But if fully open works for someone I'm not going to say they are wrong.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Despite what those above have written...

There is No One Size Fits All answer.  

Proper stock position depends on many variables like:
- Your shooting position
- Body Size & Type
- Firearm setup (optics vs. irons...magnified vs. 1x)

The best answer is to try several positions while practicing and most importantly while firing live rounds.  Then you'll have a better idea of what works for you.  Your stock position should allow you to see your sights while keeping your head & the rest of your body correctly aligned.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you aren't comfortable, you probably wont shoot well.
That's why it's adjustable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top