Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 9:42:23 AM EDT
Long ago I used red loctite on a YHM freefloat rail.

Will A heat gun like this dissolve the loctite?

http://t.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Dual-Temperature-Heat-Gun-HG1300/202516290?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CBase&gclid=CJf3luu4ysECFQ9cfgodhHkAjw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#1]
it should. might take a little while.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it will.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
It will but everything around it is going to get VERY hot so be careful. I have found a soldering iron effective on individual screws and its easier to control.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will but everything around it is going to get VERY hot so be careful. I have found a soldering iron effective on individual screws and its easier to control.
View Quote

I would go this route if at all possible.
Loctite says 482° F, IME probably not quite that hot, using a heat gun or torch it will screw up paint and/or plastic in the area.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

So if I just put the tip of a soldering iron to one of the two screws, that should be enough?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So if I just put the tip of a soldering iron to one of the two screws, that should be enough?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't do both sequentially?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This rail has a anti rotation screw on the left and right hand side of the rail.

I just tried the soldering iron thing and it didn't work. Those screws are stuck like chuck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a similar heat gun for this, red loctite is no problem. Never discolored anything.  Just do it
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a large screw for the usual soldering iron.
Even a small heat gun should work.
I use barrel assembly lube not Loctite for those screws.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't use loctite again.  Lession learned?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't use loctite again.  Lession learned?
View Quote

Yes

Lesson is learned.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Once removed, DO use Loctite next time, but make it BLUE.

What heat (wattage) iron are you using?  The pencil type won't cut it.  The Weller type with two heat ranges, trigger fully depressed on high (140 watts) will work on screws that size for red Loctite.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Take correct fitting driver for screw, hex... Whatever. Heat the end of the driver with a torch, map gas ? Place in screw to be removed and hold it there while heat transfers into the screw. Continue with aplying pressure to said screw = win !
Only in extreme cases should heat be applied directly to the area around the screw. You already stated it was locktite it will melt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Once removed, DO use Loctite next time, but make it BLUE.
View Quote

+1.  I loctite retaining screws on handguards.  I use BLUE and I still use a heatgun to loosen them up just a tad before removal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Put some valve lapping compound on the tip of the allen/torx wrench. It will give the wrench grip and keep it from stripping out. It will feel like your going to twist the screw off before the head will strip out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Propane torch should work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top