Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 10:25:17 AM EDT
When I build my upper I intend to lap the receiver before I bolt the barrel up. My question is has anyone had trouble using the Browneels lapping tool on a Mega forged upper? I read a post from way back in 2011 where a user stated the tool wouldn't fit the Mega upper. Just wondering if this has been addressed, or if it's still an issue. I have access to a lathe, but I like the simplicity of  using the lapping tool with a drill and some compound.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Lapping a forged Mega upper is borderline retarded. Don't do it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the lapping tool will not fit in mega forged receivers as they have tighter spec in the barrel extension
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is the machining just that good?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Mega makes great uppers, lowers, etc.

I wouldn't mess with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. All I use is Mega forged upper and lowers for my builds. There is no need to mess with them in any form whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You can "bed" the same surface with locktite and get the same results. Just because Mega has a good rep doesn't mean that the barrel extention is perfect. Just don't use the permanent or heat releasable version of locktite.  YMMV

Advntrjnky
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can "bed" the same surface with locktite and get the same results. Just because Mega has a good rep doesn't mean that the barrel extention is perfect. Just don't use the permanent or heat releasable version of locktite.  YMMV

Advntrjnky
View Quote

Don't do this.  You will regret it later when you decide to remove the barrel.  

A properly torqued barrel nut does not require "bedding".  The estimated clamping load between the front face of the receiver and the barrel extension flange at 80 lb-ft of torque is nearly 20,000 lbs.  Believe me, it is not going to move.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A properly torqued barrel nut does not require "bedding".  The estimated clamping load between the front face of the receiver and the barrel extension flange at 80 lb-ft of torque is nearly 20,000 lbs.  Believe me, it is not going to move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advntrjnky

This.

I also use a thin layer of grease between the barrel extension and the upper receiver. This also helps with locking the two parts together. Kinda of a suction type thing. I use MIlitec 1 grease. A little is that is needed.

I have yet to find any stripped upper receiver that would benefit from lapping. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.

I also use a thin layer of grease between the barrel extension and the upper receiver. This also helps with locking the two parts together. Kinda of a suction type thing. I use MIlitec 1 grease. A little is that is needed.

I have yet to find any stripped upper receiver that would benefit from lapping. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advntrjnky

This.

I've got some Aeroshell 33 MS for this reason. I agree, all be it unfounded, that all uppers can use a lapping. Even if the machining were 'perfect' confirming this on a lathe with a few .001's of material could only be peace of mind if nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have six Mega Monolithic uppers and they all shoot sub MOA with no bedding or lapping
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Clamping force doesn't square up a receiver or barrel extension. When done right locktite works well for this type of bedding (as does truing the mating surfaces like mentioned by the OP).  The poster that hasn't seen a receiver that needs squaring probably hasn't actually checked too many of them.  Granted, I have heard very good things about Mega's consistent quality, but when you are building for the highest level of accuracy or shooting calibers that have more recoil energy than 5.56 it is a small investment that should pay good dividends.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
5 of mine are 6.8 rifles shooting very hot loads
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top