Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2014 9:29:01 PM EDT
It's mostly non AR savvy people I've noticed but I've noticed some people tend to adjust the stock completely out to the end. I don't understand why? I leave mine all the way collapsed and my nose rests above the charging handle or sometimes right at it. Am I doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  It's mostly non AR savvy people I've noticed but I've noticed some people tend to adjust the stock completely out to the end. I don't understand why? I leave mine all the way collapsed and my nose rests above the charging handle or sometimes right at it. Am I doing it wrong?
View Quote

What do your groups look like?  Some of us have long arms.  I collapse the stock when carrying it around, and one or two notches in if I'm saddled w/ my vest.  If you're happy w/ your groups, keep shooting it the way you're shooting it - albeit you might want to add a bit of distance when you mount the .458" upper.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My wrist is all f'd up, I can't run it all the way in. I do laugh when little guys with short arms run it all the way out, maybe because I have gorilla arms and can't.

Edited: spelling
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
because some people dont have t-rex arms.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 6'4 with non-t-Rex arms.... I still ended up going short. Don't own a single collapsible anymore.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Your never necessarily wrong when it comes to shooting. If that is how you are comfortable shooting and how you maintain the same sight picture then go for it. Adjusting the stock all the way out works along similar principles as separating your BUIS as much as possible. I extend the stock all the way out move my face away from the rear sight which makes the hole in the rear sight aperture "smaller" and lay straight behind the rifle with my foot in line with the muzzle. Then you will notice it is easier to keep the front sight post centered in the rear sight make for a tighter shot group and increased control of the recoil allowing for faster shots on target while maintaining accuracy.
But as MR. t-rex arms above has stated if your arms are short then go short if it is more comfortable. You will shoot like crap if you can't get comfy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
because some people dont have t-rex arms.
View Quote

that must be it
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Since you asked, I shall add on to your question...
I wonder why AR have different positions for the collapsible stock?

Seriously though, it is all about preference, the question you asked is rather......weird and self explanatory.
Also, yes, you are doing it wrong, you shouldn't have your nose on the CH. Or maybe you just like the CH that much?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Personal preference.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
It was the most comfortable position but I used fixed stocks now
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's mostly non AR savvy people I've noticed but I've noticed some people tend to adjust the stock completely out to the end. I don't understand why? I leave mine all the way collapsed and my nose rests above the charging handle or sometimes right at it. Am I doing it wrong?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I run all of mine one notch from fully extended. Am I doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Try shooting prone off a bipod with a spr with the stock collapsed.  You will then see the light and realized it doesn't work very well.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Super non AR savvy. First timer.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

learned in military qualifications my gruops are tighter with the stock full leagnth.  learn how to tell your leangth of pull you'll find it most likely full leangth.  

try here
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, not if it's comfortable and your groups are good. I've got a big chest and big, long arms, and I run my stocks on position (3) in the middle. It's about whats comfortable and works well for you while maintaining good accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they have a clue about what they're doing. You don't.

And after seeing some of your threads, I believe you fall into the "non AR savvy people" group.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm 6'4 and my arms go half way to my knees. I position my stock like I position my car seat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because Frank Procter.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#20]
OP ever heard of eye relief??  Doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Because I am 6'6"

I wish there was one more click too...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes you are doing it wrong. Only time my stock would be collapsed is if im in tight quarters, otherwise I run em fully extended
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine goes on the 1st or 2nd position from collapsed. Not many people I've ever shot with run it all the way out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#24]
It's all about consistency. If when you shoulder the rifle you're getting the same cheek weld, sight picture, you're comfy, and your groups are good, don't worry to much about it. I shoot with mine one notch out from fully collapsed to shoot ntch. I also shoot this way with the same gun when I have my scope on(ammo testing/longer range stuff). Albeit I run a an extended scope mount so eye relief is a non issue with proper setup.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to advance a different theory here.

Some people are have lots of experience with various modern sporting rifles and just hold the gun a different way.

Others... some people grew up on full size bolt and lever guns without the luxury of adjustable length of pull. They're used to holding the rifle in a more bladed stance, so when they pick up an AR with a collapsed stock, it feels too damn short for them, so out it comes to the max length.

If that's what works for them it's fine by me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes...I am not a midget.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes you are doing it wrong. Only time my stock would be collapsed is if im in tight quarters, otherwise I run em fully extended
View Quote
This.  And what some others have said. Length of pull and natural comfort.  For me, a 6 foot 4 inch guy, full stock extension lets me still comfortably put my eyes up on the sights (or nose to receiver if you prefer).  Full extension is the most stable base, but if you are short and short armed there may be a happier setting for you in a semi-collapsed position.  I really doubt fully collapsed is ideal unless you are in confined quarters as MILSPEC556 said.  Or you have T Rex arms.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#29]
So it will fit in the rack.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I always need 2 more notches than most ARs have. I put a thick recoil pad on every rifle I've ever bought trying to get more LOP.
15.5 inches is about right for me. 13.25 if I'm shooting squared up. I normally shoot bladed, the way the Army used to teach before armor became standard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#31]
It's preference, we all have different body types.
I'm 5'10 and I like my stock almost all they way closed, sometimes one click out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

No actually.  He's not doing it wrong
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#33]
5 10 posistion 3
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://aliastraining.com/images/products/detail/dsc_2084.4.jpg

View Quote

I'd imagine that's more for proper eye relief on that scope than anything.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#35]
First, be careful throwing out words like "non-AR savvy"...you don't know what experience people have.  Second, people from 4' 10" to 6' 8" shoot the AR, so there are differing LOPs.  Are you doing it wrong?  Maybe, maybe not, depends on what you want to do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
First, be careful throwing out words like "non-AR savvy"...you don't know what experience people have.  Second, people from 4' 10" to 6' 8" shoot the AR, so there are differing LOPs.  Are you doing it wrong?  Maybe, maybe not, depends on what you want to do.
View Quote

Better raise the top limit lol. I'm 6'9"
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://aliastraining.com/images/products/detail/dsc_2084.4.jpg

View Quote

shooting fail! stock all the way out...

ETA:

nose not close enough to charging handle

no tactical vertical grip
no angled backup sights
no mag
no supermodel wife

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I set mine up so that with winter clothing, I am one or two clicks in from fully extended and my eye relief for the scope is still correct.
For summer shooting, I am all the way out.  For us long-armed shooters, Vltor Emods are about an inch longer than most others.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Because some people use a bladed stance and others use a squared up stance?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do this for rested shooting (bench, bipod) but run it all the way in for off hand shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#41]
personal preference, i do it because i'm 6-5 and it's more comfortable for me
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I shoot with the stock fully extended and this is the reason I am replacing all the collapsable stocks I own.

I realized at one point fairly recently that the reason I bought adjustable/collapsable stocks is because they looked cool, and because the military uses them. Plus there is the forbidden fruit aspect also: during "the ban" you wern't allowed to put a collapsable/adjustable stock on a post-ban rifle; which made me want one.
What I realized is that I don't like collapsable/adjustable stocks and never did. And, I never adjust the stock. So what is the point ? As my age increased, I started paying more attention to how I actually use my rifles rather than how somebody else uses their rifle.

The argument I always heard is that it is nice for shooting with body armor on. Ok, I don't own body armor and I will never shoot with body armor on. That being said, I do have very short fixed stocks on my SBRs. After all, if you are trying to have a short rifle by shortening the barrel, why make it longer on the other end ?

But, just for the sake of argument; if the stock is adjustable, why is it wrong to use all the various positions it adjusts to ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Because hey haven't learned how to fight with a carbine yet. So they fit the carbine to them like its their NRA service rifle competition gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I set mine up so that with winter clothing, I am one or two clicks in from fully extended and my eye relief for the scope is still correct.
For summer shooting, I am all the way out.  For us long-armed shooters, Vltor Emods are about an inch longer than most others.
View Quote

How long armed? I'm 6' tall with unusually long arms and I run my EMOD 1 click out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I always need 2 more notches than most ARs have. I put a thick recoil pad on every rifle I've ever bought trying to get more LOP.
15.5 inches is about right for me. 13.25 if I'm shooting squared up. I normally shoot bladed, the way the Army used to teach before armor became standard.
View Quote

Even without armor square up is better. No need to expose both lungs to any single bit. Front towards enemy is not just for claymores.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah I run mine all the way extended and it still feels short to me. Of course I'm also tall 6'4". Now if I throw on some body armor and am doing CQB stuff, then yeah I'll collapse the stock a few clicks in. Shorter people can run the rifle with the stock fully collapsed, but I believe the stock length should be based on your height.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Personal preference.
View Quote

+1
I'm sure the fine company's that all make collapsible stocks do it to make the shooter comfortable. Hell even vltor has a receiver extension with a 7th notch.
Personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Even without armor square up is better. No need to expose both lungs to any single bit. Front towards enemy is not just for claymores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get pissed when people talk about blading to hide our bodies from the target. You know why we shoot deer broadside? To double lung them. You know what shot sucks on a deer? Squared up to you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Why in the world would someone care how someone else shoots their rifle?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top