Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 6:57:26 PM EDT
I want a good, solid rail system that can be had cheap to put on a Krylon'd truck gun. From what I know, I think I remember reading that there are a couple different iterations of the RAS. Is one better than the other? I just want to make sure I'm getting the "right" version, if there is such a thing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Theres a bunch of different versions. Some free floated, some not. Are you wanting a drop in or free float?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, yeah. Forgot. I'm talking about the drop-in, Army-issue ones.

ETA: am I correct in thinking that there are couple of generations of the drop in ones though?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case you want either the KAC m4 RIS or the KAC m4 RAS. Both are good to go. The RAS is just an updated RIS that attatches to the barrel nut a little bit better, but the RIS is a little bit cheaper these days. You can pick up an RIS on the EE like I did for $100 or a blemished RAS from KAC for $150. Non blemished are like $350 so plan accordingly. Both are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

In that case you want either the KAC m4 RIS or the KAC m4 RAS. Both are good to go. The RAS is just an updated RIS that attatches to the barrel nut a little bit better, but the RIS is a little bit cheaper these days. You can pick up an RIS on the EE like I did for $100 or a blemished RAS from KAC for $150. Non blemished are like $350 so plan accordingly. Both are good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. I've seen mostly RAS, not RIS in the EE for about $100. Are the RIS handguards not as common to see anymore?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks. I've seen mostly RAS, not RIS in the EE for about $100. Are the RIS handguards not as common to see anymore?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres still a bunch around, but there are probably more RAS's around here than RIS's. Both were Army/USMC issue. The RIS first, RAS second
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just go with the RAS man.  Have it on my issue rifle as well as one of my personal rifles.  They are plentiful and cheap.  You can even gets "blems" direct from KAC for $150.

You also have the option of the "SAS bottom rail" which adds a locking mechanism kind of like the upper rail.  I don't find it necessary but they are decent (although I haven't seen very much play in the standard bottom rail.)

Either way, you can't go wrong.  I think it is probably the best drop in non-FF rail out there for the AR platform (although it is comparatively heavier than some other options.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a RAS for about $85 in the EE. It didn't come with covers, bag, or VFG but I didn't need them. Be patient and you will probably find one for sub 100.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
KAC M4 RAS... best drop in rail i have ever used for damn sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just go with the RAS man.  Have it on my issue rifle as well as one of my personal rifles.  They are plentiful and cheap.  You can even gets "blems" direct from KAC for $150.

You also have the option of the "SAS bottom rail" which adds a locking mechanism kind of like the upper rail.  I don't find it necessary but they are decent (although I haven't seen very much play in the standard bottom rail.)

Either way, you can't go wrong.  I think it is probably the best drop in non-FF rail out there for the AR platform (although it is comparatively heavier than some other options.)
View Quote

I completely agree. Besides what equipment has better testing done on it than mil standard issue equipment? Nothing thats what. Lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I still use several M4 RAS, solid as hell but a little on the heavy side. Make sure you get KAC rail panels, IMHO their are none better... if anything use a ladder cover for the top rail only.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have an HBAR?  If so, it may require a little dremel work - or it might not.

RAS is a solid, lightweight, and sturdy rail.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
How does the EZ CAR from DD stack up against the RAS?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How does the EZ CAR from DD stack up against the RAS?
View Quote

The EZ Car is lighter but I like the lockup of the KAC RAS better.  The RAS may be the only drop-in that I'm willing to span the receiver-rail gap with my optic.  With that said, only kept the EZ CAR on my rifle for about 3 months so I don't have that much time behind it.  The KAC has some extra things to help keep it from being able to oscillate.  The finish on the DD is probably better as well but that is not very high on my list.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the RAS over the RIS, it has a superior mounting system.
Less wobble on the RAS.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep in mind, the RAS still has wobble.

I'll get dog piled over this but UTG's drop-in doesn't even wobble.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I picked up a RAS for about $85 in the EE. It didn't come with covers, bag, or VFG but I didn't need them. Be patient and you will probably find one for sub 100.
View Quote
There's "several" for sale in the EE now. RAS, panels, and VFG for $90.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bottom rail on my RIS has a little jingle jingle to it, adds character
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure if you're talking about the PRO model or one of the older chinese manufactured models (UTG rails), but I've had some experience with the older crappy chinese ones.

Saw one that had such bad tolerances that it would slip out of the front handguard cap with a little pressure on a mounted VFG without even moving the delta ring.

While I'm sure there are some out there that had no wobble, I'm willing to bet that was an effect of bad tolerances making the fit too tight, not an effect of them being manufactured well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not looked for any in awhile. I might pick up another. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Cope's has some well used ones for $49, all you'll need to source is a machine screw for the rear clamp. It was perfect for my truck/beater gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
KAC M4 RAS seconds. $150 directly from KAC, only problem with them is that the finish is off a bit, but for a beater gun, who cares, right?

http://knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#23]
The RAS is one of the few drop in rails I'd trust to mount an IR laser or optic onto. For most of us, neither are a requirement. Do you plan on using it for a VFG and weaponlight?  If that's the case any decent rail will do, but the RAS is a great choice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#24]
If it's good enough for our boys in the firld, then is more than adequate for the rest of us.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it's good enough for our boys in the firld, then is more than adequate for the rest of us.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/DE9ABB57-B107-4E0C-AAC4-F6AA90C2EAE4_zps3qqyaqmp.jpg

View Quote

I guess we can make this a pic thread.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally. I LOVE the M4 RAS! I have them on both my Colt 6920s :)
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm not sure if you're talking about the PRO model or one of the older chinese manufactured models (UTG rails), but I've had some experience with the older crappy chinese ones.

Saw one that had such bad tolerances that it would slip out of the front handguard cap with a little pressure on a mounted VFG without even moving the delta ring.

While I'm sure there are some out there that had no wobble, I'm willing to bet that was an effect of bad tolerances making the fit too tight, not an effect of them being manufactured well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was the US made Pro. Two of them mounted on various uppers at different times. Zero wobble. The point is,  KAC is miles above UTG and you would think a zero wobble hand guard would be child's play for them. I have owned at least four RAS setups and all of them had an issue with fitment on the bottom half. They even designed a lower half with the same screw as the top to address the issue (thus adding $100 to the price of the total RAS).

The only way I would purchase another RAS is if it was for a safe queen clone.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It was the US made Pro. Two of them mounted on various uppers at different times. Zero wobble. The point is,  KAC is miles above UTG and you would think a zero wobble hand guard would be child's play for them. I have owned at least four RAS setups and all of them had an issue with fitment on the bottom half. They even designed a lower half with the same screw as the top to address the issue (thus adding $100 to the price of the total RAS).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that sucks.  I haven't had any issues with poorly fitting bottom rails on the few rifles I've been issued since I joined .mil or on my personal M4 or M5 RAS.  Sounds like you got the "redheaded stepchildren" of the lot.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm, I've installed many and never experienced any RAS top rail wobble.  The bottom rail on a select few would move just a hair, but most were locked in tight.
The top part (main part) was always rock solid due to the front leaf spring and rear allen screw bracket.  
KAC did come out with a bottom rail piece called the SAS that would fix this issue, but it never moved enough for it to matter in my opinion.
Here is a link to the SAS piece:  http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=35
This is only if you happen to get on with a loose bottom rail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I knew there was an SAS model with the barrel clamp on it, but I didn't know KAC sold the bottom separately.

Nor did I know they were $100 for just the bottom rail.  Ouch.

Also, no one mentioned the RAS 2?

It's the RAS with a hump that clamps onto the upper receiver, free-floating the barrel. Limits your optic choices, but it'll fit an ACOG or Aimpoint and Magnifier, plus BUIS, of course. It's $150, BRAND NEW. Same price as a blemished RAS straight from KAC. I think its(The RAS 2) lower rail clamps onto the barrel nut like the SAS version does, too.

If you've already chosen your optics and you can deal with the hump, it's well worth the extra couple ounces to free-float your barrel, considering the price.

I'm still surprised it never took off with the military. Probably because they have the need to mount night vision and other crap on the upper.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I knew there was an SAS model with the barrel clamp on it, but I didn't know KAC sold the bottom separately.

It's the RAS with a hump that clamps onto the upper receiver, free-floating the barrel. Limits your optic choices, but it'll fit an ACOG or Aimpoint and Magnifier, plus BUIS, of course. It's $150, BRAND NEW. Same price as a blemished RAS straight from KAC. I think its(The RAS 2) lower rail clamps onto the barrel nut like the SAS version does, too.

If you've already chosen your optics and you can deal with the hump, it's well worth the extra couple ounces to free-float your barrel, considering the price.

I'm still surprised it never took off with the military. Probably because they have the need to mount night vision and other crap on the upper.
View Quote

Highly probable you won't need the SAS lower rail.  Just get the RAS, install it and be happy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Highly probable you won't need the SAS lower rail.  Just get the RAS, install it and be happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't get one unless I had fitment issues. That's a Benjamin I don't feel like wasting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wouldn't get one unless I had fitment issues. That's a Benjamin I don't feel like wasting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never actually seen an SAS lower in person, that's how uncommon they are...and I've seen a lot of RAS set ups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top