Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 6:45:49 PM EDT
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to order some complete BCG from the great folks at AIM, and I am stumped between going with Nitrided or NiB ?

I've owned Glocks so the idea of Tenifer / Nitride on the entire BCG group has attraction for the weather resistance.

I hear people say NiB is slicker and easier to clean, but it is a plating Vs. Tenifer / Nitride which is a treatment of the steel which is more than skin deep.

I've read that NiB can change tolerances (plating) Vs. Tenifer which does not.

Thoughts and Feedback from those who have run these are GREATLY appreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I was using the AIM Nib, but have since switched to the nitrided...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Nickel Boron coated and I'm very satisfied with it. I'll buy another one for my next build. I can run it drier and it cleans up very easily, when it needs cleaned. I don't get any build up in the bolt face.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Nickel Boron coated and I'm very satisfied with it. I'll buy another one for my next build. I can run it drier and it cleans up very easily, when it needs cleaned. I don't get any build up in the bolt face.
View Quote

+1. I love mine and will buy more
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to order some complete BCG from the great folks at AIM, and I am stumped between going with Nitrided or NiB ?

I've owned Glocks so the idea of Tenifer / Nitride on the entire BCG group has attraction for the weather resistance.

I hear people say NiB is slicker and easier to clean, but it is a plating Vs. Tenifer / Nitride which is a treatment of the steel which is more than skin deep.

I've read that NiB can change tolerances (plating) Vs. Tenifer which does not.

Thoughts and Feedback from those who have run these are GREATLY appreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

My thoughts...well one is a coating and the other is a change in the surface of the metal at a molecular level.  One can come off the other cannot.

My feedback....I have the latter and it still looks brand new after over a thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question, but how much gloss / shine is there to the NiB BCG?

I know it is a Silver, but is it bright like chrome or Stainless steel or more subdued like a matte stainless steel in color?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question, but how much gloss / shine is there to the NiB BCG?
I know it is a Silver, but is it bright like chrome or Stainless steel or more subdued like a matte stainless steel in color?
View Quote
I've seen the spikes NiB on a friends build, it was pretty shiny, not full chrome effect, close to a stainless gun or barrel that hasn't been blasted. It basically matched his BCM stainless barrel. All the carbon and junk wiped off with one pass off a paper towel, I was impressed

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not as bright as Spikes, but not as dull as WMD.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how to describe brightness in a meaningful way.

Here is a photo of my WMD NiB-X BCG when it was removed for cleaning at the 500 round mark, FWIW.  This is the same color as when it was new and it remains the same color now.  I would describe it as a satin finish.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both and both have performed equally well.  I personally prefer the nitride as I just like the properties QPQ. You won't go wrong either way though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Good info.... I have shot GI parts for over 2 decades but, am looking at the AIM NiB models right now for my AR build.
The $129 V2 is out of stock but, the $99 model is in......

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good info.... I have shot GI parts for over 2 decades but, am looking at the AIM NiB models right now for my AR build.

The $129 V2 is out of stock but, the $99 model is in......

View Quote
Wait for the nitride BCG...

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a WMD NIB-X and a JP QPQ Bolt Carrier. Both of which have been said to be the best for their respective finishes. The NIB one is smoother when working it in the action. That being said, both will serve you just fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a WMD NIB-X and a JP QPQ Bolt Carrier. Both of which have been said to be the best for their respective finishes. The NIB one is smoother when working it in the action. That being said, both will serve you just fine.
View Quote

I am an advocate of QPQ SN (nitride) for barrels and other components that need to be corrosion resistent and very hard.  For BCGs smoothness and lubricity properties seem more important.  For that task, nickel-boron plating makes more sense.  So I run a CMMG nitride barrel and a WMD NiB-X BCG on the same carbine and believe there is a basis for the distinction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am an advocate of QPQ SN (nitride) for barrels and other components that need to be corrosion resistent and very hard.  For BCGs smoothness and lubricity properties seem more important.  For that task, nickel-boron plating makes more sense.  So I run a CMMG nitride barrel and a WMD NiB-X BCG on the same carbine and believe there is a basis for the distinction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the conclusion I have came to as well......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top