Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 2:07:16 PM EDT
As the title states, I want to add a foregrip / bipod combo to my Colt.  The model I have is a "NY Compliant" (before the SAFE act ) so it does not have the muzzle brake though I am fairly certain it is the same as the 6920.

This is one foregrip / bipod I was thinking of getting:

http://smile.amazon.com/GRIP-POD-GPS-02-Military-Grip/dp/B00G9W9LJY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408916981&sr=8-4&keywords=ar+15+foregrip+bipod#productDetails

Anyway, it appears that I need to add a quad rail in order to be able to mount it on the rifle.  In searching the site, it seems that a "free float" is my best bet for accuracy.

Since I can no longer buy this rifle in NY, I do not want to make any permanent modifications to it so I want something that can snap in.

This led me to the KAC RAS II which will give me both the free float and mod-free install.

The problem is I have a Leupold Mark AR 4-12x40mm mounted on the top rail now and the RAS II seems to use some sort of rail joining system.  Therefore, I am not sure if this will work with my current scope mount (see pics below).

I am also unclear if I will lose my front sling mount and if this will fit on my rifle (carbine length?)

I've read others saying Daniel Defense would be a good option, however I will defer to your expert judgement.  Any ideas you have are appreciated!

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/spta97/photo4_zps360ea3d5.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/spta97/photo2_zps9c5917d3.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/spta97/photo1_zps462e2cb5.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/spta97/photo3_zps7a3ea853.jpg

RAS II
http://www.quarterbore.com/images/kacrasiij.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get the standard KAC M4 RAS and a grip pod. Perfect setup and you can still use your optic exactly how its set up now
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just get the standard KAC M4 RAS and a grip pod. Perfect setup and you can still use your optic exactly how its set up now
View Quote

Milspec - thanks.

Can you expand on your recommendation?  My research has dictated that free float > non-free float so that's why I was leaning that way.

What confuses me is the RAS is 2x as much as the RAS II so I am wondering why?  If I went with the RAS I would probably get a "blemish" model to save on cost (which for a piece of aluminum is a lot of $$$).

The other rail that popped up was the Daniel Defense Omega rail which seems to be well liked too and apparently light weight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The KAC m4 RIS and RAS are drop in quad rails (MUCH EASIER to install than free floated rails) these are also standard issue rails that the USMC and the Army run on their rifles. The RIS is almost the same rail as the RAS its just a few years older (I have the RIS) and a small difference on how it grips the barrel nut. The RAS II you pictured wont work with your scope the way you have it setup because of that big ol picattany ramp they put on the top that has to be connected to rail on upper. Trust me when I say you want a KAC m4 RAS and a grip pod. Unless youve built your own AR's installing free floated rails can be a pain in the ass. The RAS 2 is about the only one that isnt a PITA but if you want to keep that scope it simply will not fit on your setup
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest a 7" Daniel Defense Omega.  They are light years ahead of the RAS in my opinion.  Ras and Ras 2 are OK rails but kinda old school and a bit on the heavy side.  The DD Omega is light, super slim, and very easy to install.  It also has built in QD points.   And it will free float your barrel without having a goofy hump like the RAS 2.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The KAC m4 RIS and RAS are drop in quad rails (MUCH EASIER to install than free floated rails) these are also standard issue rails that the USMC and the Army run on their rifles. The RIS is almost the same rail as the RAS its just a few years older (I have the RIS) and a small difference on how it grips the barrel nut. The RAS II you pictured wont work with your scope the way you have it setup because of that big ol picattany ramp they put on the top that has to be connected to rail on upper. Trust me when I say you want a KAC m4 RAS and a grip pod. Unless youve built your own AR's installing free floated rails can be a pain in the ass. The RAS 2 is about the only one that isnt a PITA but if you want to keep that scope it simply will not fit on your setup
View Quote

Thanks. Ease of install is important but I do want the FF.

I called KAC and they confirmed what you stated about the fitment.

So far that scope mount has served me well so I'm not looking to replace it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would suggest a 7" Daniel Defense Omega.  They are light years ahead of the RAS in my opinion.  Ras and Ras 2 are OK rails but kinda old school and a bit on the heavy side.  The DD Omega is light, super slim, and very easy to install.  It also has built in QD points.   And it will free float your barrel without having a goofy hump like the RAS 2.
View Quote

I came across that one and it seemed to be well reviewed. However, it seems that the cost is up there (nearly $300). Is it THAT much better?   Any place to source it cheaper?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about a short rail mounted under your current hand guard?  Certainly the cheapest way...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-handguard-parts/handguard-rail-accessories/accessory-rails/ar-15-m16-graphite-rail-system-prod21631.aspx
View Quote

Whoa I didn't I I these existed!  Thanks!

How sturdy are they?  Any pics of a oval hand guard with a foregrip?  I'm curious how it looks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It's $249 w/ free shipping from Brownells.  That is a pretty good price for it but you may be able to find it for less.  

Quoted:

I came across that one and it seemed to be well reviewed. However, it seems that the cost is up there (nearly $300). Is it THAT much better?   Any place to source it cheaper?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's $249 w/ free shipping from Brownells.  That is a pretty good price for it but you may be able to find it for less.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the DD $100 better than a blemished RAS?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It's worth it to some, maybe not to everyone.  It's a little lighter, slimmer, has built in QD swivel mounts, completely free floats the barrel, and comes with 3 ladder rail covers.  And it will be new and un-blemished.  Whether that adds up to $100 or not is really up to you.  You might be able to find a used one in the EE for a better price.  Or there are other free float options out there, but most require removal of the delta ring.  The Omega does not.      

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How sturdy are they?  Any pics of a oval hand guard with a foregrip?  I'm curious how it looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about a short rail mounted under your current hand guard?  Certainly the cheapest way...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-handguard-parts/handguard-rail-accessories/accessory-rails/ar-15-m16-graphite-rail-system-prod21631.aspx

I've used one of these with a set of Colt double heatshield M4 handguards for years, and it's very sturdy. A little more expensive that SOG's version, but I trust GG&G stuff more. I mounted a VFG and a light. Some of the cheaper versions require the removal of one of the heatshields.

http://www.gggaz.com/ar-15-m16-under-forearm-integrated-rail-ufir.html

I can't post pictures from here, but it looks decent and has worked perfectly over thousands of FA rounds. The picture in the link shows a set of oval handguards with the strip of rail mounted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for that link. I think I may go that route and if I feel the need to upgrade later I haven't spent that much.

Thanks all!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top