Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 8:10:04 PM EDT
I was looking for a midlength drop in handguard that I could use to mount an afg and maybe a light.  Not wanting craptastic airsoft stuff but I doubt I can swing a dd or larue right now.

What say you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably check out any of the KAC drop in rails.  I had a Samson drop in that came on one of my pre assembled upper and it was rather loose because there was no mechanism to tighten it down.  Other than that I have not had any other experiences.  I do know the US military has thoroughly tested the KAC RAS and issue it on some of their issued rifles.  You will pay more for the KAC, but you do get what you pay for.

BTW I noticed you are from Illinois.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably check out any of the KAC drop in rails.  I had a Samson drop in that came on one of my pre assembled upper and it was rather loose because there was no mechanism to tighten it down.  Other than that I have not had any other experiences.  I do know the US military has thoroughly tested the KAC RAS and issue it on some of their issued rifles.  You will pay more for the KAC, but you do get what you pay for.

View Quote

KAC does not manufacture a mid-length drop in rail, so that's out of the question.

It really depends on budget.

If you want one of the best, go with a Daniel Defense Omega.  It's a drop in but still free floats the rifle.  DD also makes a straight non FF drop in which is a little cheaper.  I thinks it's called an EZ-CAR or something to that effect.

If you're more on a budget, take a look at some of the options from Midwest Industries.  They have a non FF version.  Think they're somewhere around $140.  Linky

ETA:  See you're not in budget range for a DD.  If that is all you're looking to mount, why not give a Magpul MOE handguard a look?  They really aren't "craptastic airsoft stuff."  They work really well for what they cost and there are lots of provisions out there for mounting what you want to mount.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

KAC does not manufacture a mid-length drop in rail, so that's out of the question.

If you want one of the best, go with a Daniel Defense Omega.  It's a drop in but still free floats the rifle.  DD also makes a straight non FF drop in which is a little cheaper.  I thinks it's called an EZ-CAR or something to that effect.

If you're more on a budget, take a look at some of the options from Midwest Industries.  They have a non FF version.  Think they're somewhere around $140.  Linky

ETA:  See you're not in budget range for a DD.  If that is all you're looking to mount, why not give a Magpul MOE handguard a look?  They really aren't "craptastic airsoft stuff."  They work really well for what they cost and there are lots of provisions out there for mounting what you want to mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another vote for the MOE handguards. They're perfect for mounting just a light and a foregrip.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what i get for trying to help a fibb.  Since that is the case I would have to conclude that DD would probably make a pretty quality drop in quad rail.  I have a set of their iron sights and they really are quality goods down to even the screws they include.  But if you are on a budget, the MagPul accessories could be something to look in to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd check out Midwest Industries drop in quad rail. I have several of their products including a quad rail and have been impressed with their quality, fit and finish. All for a very reasonable price. A mid length drop in like you're looking for goes for $139.95. That's a very good price for a quality rail...

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=64
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=&level1=&level2=&itemno=MTU007SS&status=utg
This link is to the manufacturer - shop around for the best price.

I have two of the CAR version and they are rock solid.

This is the "Pro" series so it is made in USA and good quality - not the old paintball UTG stuff.
Also, the kit comes with more rails than other kits (Midwest Ind, etc)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
another vote for MI, great products and very reasonably priced
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=&level1=&level2=&itemno=MTU007SS&status=utg

This is the "Pro" series so it is made in USA and good quality - not the old paintball UTG stuff.
View Quote

Meh, for that price, spend the extra $40 and get the MI.  While I've seen some decent reviews on the UTG Pro stuff, I still wouldn't trust anything from that company.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#9]
You can't go wrong with troy industries
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was looking for a midlength drop in handguard that I could use to mount an afg and maybe a light.  Not wanting craptastic airsoft stuff but I doubt I can swing a dd or larue right now.

What say you?
View Quote

You want a drop in or a free float I use the drop in by Midwest Industries.  I would like a free float but the hassle to install it is not worth it to me.  My rifle has a standard Mil Front Sight and as such would have to be removed to install the free float.  If you have a gas block and it is low enough go with the free float if not use the drop in.  They both serve the same purpose.  The advantage of the free float is some what better accuracy over the drop in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't go wrong with an MI or DD CAR rail. My MI drop in is a nice piece.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]
MI drop ins are very nice i loved mine. I switched to centurian arms C4 now and love them even more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Meh, for that price, spend the extra $40 and get the MI.  While I've seen some decent reviews on the UTG Pro stuff, I still wouldn't trust anything from that company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's MSRP. They can be found for around $60. You won't find a drop in cheaper than that from MI.

To the guys that are suggesting MI or Troy drop ins that are around $120-$140  - you can get a freefloat rail for that price that uses the stock barrel nut and have an all around better platform. Hell, I know no one likes Troy, but there was a sale on the Alpha 11'' rails for $125 a day or so ago.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple magpuls...really like them for simplicity.  I will not buy another quad rail...just have no need for all that rail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you have a hand guard on there now? If it was me, I would wait and save some cash until you can get what you really want. Buy once, cry once. I have a Larue rail on one of my guns and the thing is awesome. Rock solid
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's what i get for trying to help a fibb.  Since that is the case I would have to conclude that DD would probably make a pretty quality drop in quad rail.  I have a set of their iron sights and they really are quality goods down to even the screws they include.  But if you are on a budget, the MagPul accessories could be something to look in to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just cause I live in the peoples republic doesnt make me a fibb.     not all us act like we live in chicago or the collar counties.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Leaning twards a ff from mi or nutting up for a dd free float.  Any thoughts around the ones that keep the d ring vs cutting it off?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You want a drop in or a free float I use the drop in by Midwest Industries.  I would like a free float but the hassle to install it is not worth it to me.  My rifle has a standard Mil Front Sight and as such would have to be removed to install the free float.  If you have a gas block and it is low enough go with the free float if not use the drop in.  They both serve the same purpose.  The advantage of the free float is some what better accuracy over the drop in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What say you?

The mi & dd is classic arfcom you get both.  You get free float without taking off the f.marked front sight
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
For MI, the d ring has to be cut off.  For  DD  it does not.  Both do not require removal of FSB.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For MI, the d ring has to be cut off.  For  DD  it does not.  Both do not require removal of FSB.
View Quote

Any pluss or minus to either of the above setups?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Leaning twards a ff from mi or nutting up for a dd free float.  Any thoughts around the ones that keep the d ring vs cutting it off?
View Quote

I have a Midwest Industries FF that required removal of the delta ring. It only took a couple minutes with a Dremel to get it off. Personally I think the FF rails look much better when they butt up against the upper as opposed to using the delta ring.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Stop being cheap and get a Centruion Arms C4 and be done with it!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
DD requires no modification or power tools to install.  The existing delta ring and barrel nut can be used. If you go with the MI rail you need a Dremel tool to cut the delta ring.  Cost-wise, the DD rails are more expensive than the MI rails.  For the added cost, you get a rail that is lighter and small diameter than the MI rails.  I originally had the MI rails installed on my AR but found them to be fat for my small/medium sized hands.  Thus I went with DD Omega I saved 2 oz and they fit better for my hands. If you don't like the look of Omega rail installation with the delta ring left in pace, DD does makes the Omega X rail for a cleaner look (its also a 2 pc FF design but uses a proprietary barrel nut, and  the delta nut is remove). It boils down to what are your priorities - cost or weight/size?    
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, you cant go wrong with MI

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:42:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Midwest two piece free float here. Easy to install, love the look and is free floated with QD's built in for sling.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:45:15 AM EDT
[#27]
EDIT/DELETE
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#28]
vote for the Omega, best drop-in system out there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also recommend MI. Everything I've purchased from them has been great
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#30]
With UTG Pro you get more rails in the kit, so it is not just the $40 to $60 more for an MI handguard kit - its another
$40 to $60 to get the rails and covers you may need. Just a thought.

Note: The FF UTG is just OK, I have a 9 incher and it was much more difficult to get centered on the barrel’s
longitudinal axis than my MI FF  10 incher. Nice thing about the UTG FF is that there is no need to index the
barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#31]
DD Omega

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Aero Precision is making some nice looking Keymod rails theses days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top