Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 6:02:49 PM EDT
I bought a Rainier Arms UltraMatch 5.56MM - 16 upper and right now I am experiencing failure to eject of the spent brass. The scenario is that after firing, the spent case remains attached to the bolt instead of being ejected, which prevents the new round from being loaded. Even if the bolt carrier group is pulled back, the spent case remains attached to the bolt. A little nudge on the spent case when the bolt carrier group is pulled back will allow it to be removed from the bolt. The ammo where I'm seeing the problem occur are the Federal XM193, XM193F, and American Eagle 223. After shooting, I manually did the cycling with some spent brass (Federal/LC) to try to duplicate the problem but I couldn't. I've read on some forums that something similar happened to a certain batch of the same bolt carriers groups.

I'm trying to contact Rainier Arms but after 2 weeks and 4 inquiries using their contact form page I haven't gotten a response. I haven't called them yet because I prefer to go through email for the reasons of mainly documentation purposes, personal convenience, and their phone support coincides with my work hours. I'm throwing this out there just in-case this can "encourage" them to respond by email.

This is my first AR build and also the first time purchasing from them. I really like their design and policy for their own products. Sadly because of mostly the customer service experience, for now I'll be considering other products and stores first before them.

I'll update this thread based on any progress regarding this issue.

Below are two videos that I managed to capture during my trip to the range show the brass stuck in the bolt:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYLKeDEHuJ4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ja9gxR3cjI[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked the ejector to see if the plunger is stuck in the bolt and not popping back out? Could have some crud down with the spring.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar issue. My issue was the gas key bolts were staked but they were loose. Put an Allen wrench on your bolts and see if they turn.

They replaced the BCG with one that works but I wouldn't order another one. I'm glad they took care of it but mine was not an isolated incident and they should have checked it before shipping since they knew it was a problem.

So in summation they had good customer service for me, but I am not thrilled with the product.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried it several times with spent brass but it looks like it only happens when the bolt is hot. Probably because of additional friction generated when the metal expands due to heat. Anyway, I got an email from the Rainier Arms' Operations Manager Michael Hwang today giving me a shipping label and saying that they will inspect the upper. I'll send it tomorrow and will continue to update this thread until the issue has been resolved.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a similar issue. My issue was the gas key bolts were staked but they were loose. Put an Allen wrench on your bolts and see if they turn.

They replaced the BCG with one that works but I wouldn't order another one. I'm glad they took care of it but mine was not an isolated incident and they should have checked it before shipping since they knew it was a problem.

So in summation they had good customer service for me, but I am not thrilled with the product.
View Quote

One of the reason that I chose their Ultramatch line was because the match BCG was supposed to exceed MIL spec standard. But from how it's looking right now, it's not even within MIL spec. I'm just glad they have very good warranty on it. Another reason why I bought their upper is for the accuracy of buying a mated BCG and barrel (just an assumption on my part). But now I'm worried that they will just stick another BCG on it and might negatively affect accuracy. Now, my perception is that the Ultramatch labeling is just an advertising gimmick. On that matter, I'll try to update this thread again based on the accuracy that I'm getting if and after this issue has been resolved.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Rainier arms is legit. Always handled me proper and I'm sure if you had called you would have gotten through faster. They will take care of you and once you shoot their gear with proper ammo and glass you'll see it performs as advertised.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm throwing this out there just in-case this can "encourage" them to respond by email.
View Quote

Now, my perception is that the Ultramatch labeling is just an advertising gimmick
View Quote

You're doing it wrong.

Rainier is the good people.

There is a ton of support for this vendor, and for a very good reason.  I am sure you will be taken care of.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not a gimmick.  There are plenty of folks on here that can testify to the fact that these barrels shoot lights out with the right load and the shooter does their part.  

We've built our company on customer service and ethical business practices, which includes truth in advertising.
View Quote

I am actually very happy with the Shilen barrel which shoots well even with plinking type of ammo. I can't wait to try it with match grade ammo. I think the only part that worries me is the BCG because of some threads (below) that I read while trying to figure out the cause of the issue.

BCG related issues:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=865912
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187271&page=2
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/632409_FTF_and_FTE_issues_BCM_upper_and_Rainier_BCG.html

By the way Mac, I really appreciate the prompt response regarding this issue. I was surprised that you even replied during the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sometimes people don't understand that spam filters eat email for strange reasons.  I have no idea what happened here, nor do I have anything to do with email, but I would encourage people to call by phone if they don't get answers via email.  Five minutes on a lunch break making a call can get things moving quick.  That isn't just for us, that is for any company.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure if you had called you would have gotten through faster.

Sometimes people don't understand that spam filters eat email for strange reasons.  I have no idea what happened here, nor do I have anything to do with email, but I would encourage people to call by phone if they don't get answers via email.  Five minutes on a lunch break making a call can get things moving quick.  That isn't just for us, that is for any company.  

I guess you guys are right, I should have followed up with a phone call. Before this issue, I was able to get through the email system though. Also, I used two different email addresses too just in-case some email filtering is causing the inquiries to not go through. Although this won't rule out spam filters completely since their algorithm might be geared towards the content.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

There is a ton of support for this vendor, and for a very good reason.  I am sure you will be taken care of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm throwing this out there just in-case this can "encourage" them to respond by email.

Now, my perception is that the Ultramatch labeling is just an advertising gimmick

You're doing it wrong.

I actually do think that they are good considering their pricing, warranty, and reputation . I also think that they are still one of the best ones out there. It might just be that my expectation from them to be exceptional in all aspects might be unrealistic. I guess the expectation, plus failure on their high-end product line, and this being my first AR build contributed a lot of frustration in my end.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I  would like to know what the cause of this ends of being as I am having the same problems with my 3 gun build
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Did either of you check your gas key bolts?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no idea what or how the problem occurred but my dealings with Rainier and their products have been excellent.
I have an Ultra Match barrel that is very accurate and mine is paired with a standard Rainier BCG and pinned Rainier gas block.

During the last year, every manufacturer and distributor has had a few problems slip by. Trying to get the product out to the customer in a decent time frame when the shelves are empty is tough.

I have absolutely no doubt that Rainier will get you taken care of to your satisfaction.
It's just who they are.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry wolverine I wasn't able to check mine. If I knew you were that interested I would have. I just sent the entire upper back for inspection and repair this afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think mine was the adjustable gas block I was using (BTE Brand) but I am not sure. It had a single screw to adjust the gas and it was kinda sloppy and loose so I switched to a seekins adjustable but have not had a chance to try it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top