Page / 34
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Mini4 came in today...

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but are there any adjustable GBs that will fit under the CMR for a .725 barrel?  I'd love to be able to use a CMR on my Aero M5.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but are there any adjustable GBs that will fit under the CMR for a .725 barrel?  I'd love to be able to use a CMR on my Aero M5.
View Quote

I believe the SLR Sentry 7 will
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Big_Tom:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Big_Tom:

This. It's what I'm using in my pic a few posts above
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:45:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#6]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

View Quote

Same for the 7.62 rail?  Clamp on, set screw, or will both fit?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Yes I have a 7.62 as well with Sentry 7. Set screw only.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my 7.62 CMR 12 last week. We'll see if my SLR Sentry 7 clamp on block will fit inside the tube.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#9]
Originally Posted By Jeeper21:
Got my 7.62 CMR 12 last week. We'll see if my SLR Sentry 7 clamp on block will fit inside the tube.
View Quote

My guess is it won't fit. You'll probably need the set screw Sentry 7. I hope I'm wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]

My guess is it won't fit. You'll probably need the set screw Sentry 7. I hope I'm wrong though.
View Quote

I hope so too. Does yours appear fairly tight near the bottom of the gas block? I compared pics of the clamp vs set, and it looks like a very slight increase on the bottom, but not sure if it will be enough to rub on the bottom of the rail.

I put the CMR on top of my existing rail (PRI Delta) to kind of eyeball it, seems like the clamp screws themselves shouldn't be a problem, but the rib on the inside bottom of the CMR rail looks like it could be very close to the bottom of the gas block.

I'm going to take the PRI off tonight and see if I can slide the CMR over the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]

I hope so too. Does yours appear fairly tight near the bottom of the gas block? I compared pics of the clamp vs set, and it looks like a very slight increase on the bottom, but not sure if it will be enough to rub on the bottom of the rail.

I put the CMR on top of my existing rail (PRI Delta) to kind of eyeball it, seems like the clamp screws themselves shouldn't be a problem, but the rib on the inside bottom of the CMR rail looks like it could be very close to the bottom of the gas block.

I'm going to take the PRI off tonight and see if I can slide the CMR over the gas block.
View Quote

It is extremely close with a .750 barrel/Sentry 7. You may have to shave down the bottom of the gas block
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Took my PRI off and was able to slide the CMR over the barrel. I rested the receiver and CMR rail downward on a flat table to get an idea of the positioning.

Looks like it fits with enough gap to slide a credit card through. My only concern now is the gas block bottoming out on the hand guard during firing, which given that tiny gap, is likely to occur, not sure how that would affect accuracy though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Got it installed today. I contacted Centurion about any recommended spanner wrench sizes/type and Corrie was kind to offer to send me a prototype wrench, which worked out well. Great CS at Centurion.

I didn't have any trouble with the barrel nut going over the barrel as I have read some people had with their .308 builds. I did have trouble getting the gas tube in after the nut was tightened. There was just a little too much height on the nut to allow the tube to pass through, but not a problem. I loosened the nut back out so I could slide the gas tube in the receiver, then re-tightened the nut.

Unfortunately in the process of loosening the nut, I somehow dented it inward near one of the pin holes, but it didn't seem to affect the fitment of the handguard.

Finished product:

There is still a very narrow gap between the handguard and gas block. If I slap the handguard upward with my hand I can hear a ting. But other than that, gripping the handguard or resting it against objects doesn't cause any contact. I'm hoping next week I'll be able to get out and do some testing with it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally had some time to go to the range and shoot, and afterwards inspected the handguard and didn't see any contact points indicating that the gas block may be hitting. And accuracy looks consistent.

Attachment Attached File

The only issue experienced was the handguard slipping forward on the nut. I didn't even notice until after I was done for the day. I only tightened these screws to 25 inch lbs, which seemed tight enough at the time. Any recommendations on how tight these should be? I didn't want to strip them or squeeze the rail too tight around the nut.

Attachment Attached File

Range pic:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally had some time to go to the range and shoot, and afterwards inspected the handguard and didn't see any contact points indicating that the gas block may be hitting. And accuracy looks consistent.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3529/target-149576.JPG

The only issue experienced was the handguard slipping forward on the nut. I didn't even notice until after I was done for the day. I only tightened these screws to 25 inch lbs, which seemed tight enough at the time. Any recommendations on how tight these should be? I didn't want to strip them or squeeze the rail too tight around the nut.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3529/cmrrail-149575.JPG

Range pic:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3529/rangepic-149578.JPG
View Quote

I had this happen too. It turns out I was using an old gen barrel nut on newer clamp system. Send a pic to Carrie of that and the barrel nut and she can tell you if you have the right one.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent a pic to Corrie along with a description of what happened and turns out that I do have an older barrel nut. I bought from Rainier Arms, who apparently had some old stock of the CMR 7.62.

Corrie is sending me a new barrel nut and some new bolts to secure the rail. Centurion really has great CS!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I sent a pic to Corrie along with a description of what happened and turns out that I do have an older barrel nut. I bought from Rainier Arms, who apparently had some old stock of the CMR 7.62.

Corrie is sending me a new barrel nut and some new bolts to secure the rail. Centurion really has great CS!
View Quote

They're awesome. I had a similar problem on one of their 5.56 rails, and she got me sorted out ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
They're good people!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey just a FYI for anyone that is looking for a adjustable gas block for their .308 build.

An Odin Works adjustable GB fits perfectly. Yes I made myself a Guinea pig. Luckily it works

Again this goes for the .308 CMRs don't know about the 5.56 CMRs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bedouin2W] [#24]
Will I have any issues with the gas block on a Noveske 12.5" Crusader (not switchblock) fitting under an 11" CMR?

Looks like it won't

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/612028_Centurion-Modular-Rail--CMR--info-and-picture-thread--add-your-pics---.html&page=6#i6067850
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Still loving my CMR.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeeper21] [#26]
Been a few weeks since, but I did receive the new nut and installed it with no problem. I could immediately see the difference between the two barrel nuts and why the defective one allowed the handguard to slip forward. With the new nut the handguard isn't going anywhere, with the center screw properly securing it in place. And the handguard feels much more solid than the previous installation.

I'm now thinking of picking up a CMR gen2 for my 5.56. Does anyone know if the Larue low pro gas block (LT202) will fit underneath?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Been a few weeks since, but I did receive the new nut and installed it with no problem. I could immediately see the difference between the two barrel nuts and why the defective one allowed the handguard to slip forward. With the new nut the handguard isn't going anywhere, with the center screw properly securing it in place. And the handguard feels much more solid than the previous installation.

I'm now thinking of picking up a CMR gen2 for my 5.56. Does anyone know if the Larue low pro gas block (LT202) will fit underneath?

Thanks!
View Quote
You're probably going to be better off using Centurion's gas block as I've had to shave down smaller blocks than the LaRue to clear the CMR.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
You're probably going to be better off using Centurion's gas block as I've had to shave down smaller blocks than the LaRue to clear the CMR.
View All Quotes

Thanks!
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I neglected to mention that its a .625 gas block, not sure if the OD is much different though. It seems Centurion only makes a low pro in .750.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I neglected to mention that its a .625 gas block, not sure if the OD is much different though. It seems Centurion only makes a low pro in .750.
View Quote
I used this gas block and shaved the bottom down some with a file then hit it with some black BBQ pit paint. It's been holding up fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#31]

I used this gas block and shaved the bottom down some with a file then hit it with some black BBQ pit paint. It's been holding up fine.
View Quote
Just ordered my CMR gen2. I'll see how the fitment is with the larue block and get a new one or modify as necessary.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#33]
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Can we bring this thread back to life?? 

I need to see some pictures of the new m lok rails in action.

13" on a 14.5" barrel anyone??

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CCLJ03:
Can we bring this thread back to life?? 

I need to see some pictures of the new m lok rails in action.

13" on a 14.5" barrel anyone??

View Quote
I just posted that setup in your thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TATBME:

I just posted that setup in your thread.
View Quote
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's mine after running a carbine class all day yesterday

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]

http://i.lvme.me/gb9w075.jpg
View Quote
LOL epic fail!
it looked fine on mobile btw

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Received my Centurion CMR gen 2 14" and installed it last night without a hitch. Thanks WeaponOutfitters for those sweet posters!

And thankfully the LaRue Low Pro gas block (.625) has plenty of clearance. It appears the Gen2 has a little bit of the rib shaved off on the bottom. It looked to me almost half as thick as the ribs on the sides.

Attachment Attached File

All I need now is the accessory kit to top it off. And a little tip for those who already own a BCM KMR; the KMR wrench works perfectly on the CMR gen 2 barrel nut.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Received my Centurion CMR gen 2 14" and installed it last night without a hitch. Thanks WeaponOutfitters for those sweet posters!

And thankfully the LaRue Low Pro gas block (.625) has plenty of clearance. It appears the Gen2 has a little bit of the rib shaved off on the bottom. It looked to me almost half as thick as the ribs on the sides.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3529/cmrgen2clearance-184944.JPG

All I need now is the accessory kit to top it off. And a little tip for those who already own a BCM KMR; the KMR wrench works perfectly on the CMR gen 2 barrel nut.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3529/cmrgen2-184945.JPG
View Quote
Makes sense the .625 fits, the CMR has issues when you start getting in to the .750 gas blocks
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#41]
308 CMR Cerakoted OD green

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I like it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Haha, unfortunately I had to do slight modifying to make it work. Or rather I entrusted a friend with a dremel to and...yeah...had I known I would have done it myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#47]

For this particular build, I was adamant on utilizing the Gibbz Side Charging Upper, as well as the CMR.  Before I even purchased the Gibbz, of what I was only able to observe from pictures without physically handling the product, I initially thought the placement of the side charging handle would be an issue, being too far forward / flush to end of the upper receiver. But from the pictures above you can observe that wasn't the case and was, I guess best term to use is the "thickened," built up wider width of the receiver where the anti-rotation alignment teeth should go.
It was either two options, either drill into / carve out holes into the upper receiver to accommodate the anti-rotation teeth. Or dremel the tabs off. So I chose the lesser of the two evils.

I absolutely did not want to take a dremel to it and pained me to do so. And in general I do not dremel modify anything firearm or accessory related. But for this it had to be done.

Where I made the mistake was letting a friend do it, to "honor" me with him having a hand in the build process, as aside from this mishap I hold him in very high regard otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#48]

As you can see, there is a slight gouge made out from the dremel's bottom spinning nut

Due to him most likely setting it on highest RPM and going to town on the anti rotation teeth to quickly grind them down, instead of slowly going at it. The gouge or loss of material is not observable on the side when mounted on. Just I know its there. And since I'm OCD about that ...

And then I guess not having a steady hold of the rail or dremel at high RPM and scoring the side a bit.

I immediately took a black marker to cover the grind spots, should've taken a pic before I did that, but was too OCD.

I later cleaned up and dremeled it myself to smooth it out further and make it more flush.  But needless to say my OCD alarms were going off, and I should have done it myself.  I even went so far as to get the rail completely cerakoted black to cover the mistakes, which is the final build in previous post. To protect the overall finish of future nicks and scratches for sure, but that was secondary. Primary intent was to cover mistakes.  Also I assume better rust protection than a black sharpie now that there is exposed metal from the grinding.  Like I said, OCD
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#49]
To add, of the two barrel nuts; the original one where people are having issues finding the proper tool, and the new one that takes a standard AR armorers wrench.

Luckily I had a Geissele Wrench, which I acquired from good timing on my purchase of the Geissele SMR MK8 during Black Friday 2016, as I did not have any barrel nut tool at the time (having just started to complete the 9mm AR build), just been holding onto the CMR rail in a box since November 2015.

The tool worked well for sure.

But the barrel nut itself, from my observation, for whatever reason, could be fitment issues in relation to the Gibbz Upper. But absolutely did not like the single middle screw that goes through the channel, the one that's supposed to hold it in place. I installed the nut each time to ensure it was completely torqued down as far as it goes at 40LB, drawing a marker line to the "center" line of the nut to ensure it did not go less or more from the last time, so I know I'm not going too far and stripping the nut itself. The screw was definitely hard to tighten, where grinding sounds can be heard (stripping the threads) and did not go all the way down (will edit add, take picture later when I find that screw).

I later purchased a bunch of spare screws, and added the new barrel nut in cart just to see. With the new barrel nut installed, my OCD feeling more confident to utilize a standard AR armorers wrench. In this case the Magpul Armorers wrench, instead of the Geisselle Wrench or random spanner wrench that "works" but not made specifically for it,

The screw drops right in smooth with no issues. So I don't know.

Test fired, didnt blow up in my face. And barrel isn't canted some slight degree off from being misaligned or over tightened or something. So I guess it works
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By coletam:
To add, of the two barrel nuts; the original one where people are having issues finding the proper tool, and the new one that takes a standard AR armorers wrench.

Luckily I had a Geissele Wrench, which I acquired from good timing on my purchase of the Geissele SMR MK8 during Black Friday 2016, as I did not have any barrel nut tool at the time (having just started to complete the 9mm AR build), just been holding onto the CMR rail in a box since November 2015.

The tool worked well for sure.

But the barrel nut itself, from my observation, for whatever reason, could be fitment issues in relation to the Gibbz Upper. But absolutely did not like the single middle screw that goes through the channel, the one that's supposed to hold it in place. I installed the nut each time to ensure it was completely torqued down as far as it goes at 40LB, drawing a marker line to the "center" line of the nut to ensure it did not go less or more from the last time, so I know I'm not going too far and stripping the nut itself. The screw was definitely hard to tighten, where grinding sounds can be heard (stripping the threads) and did not go all the way down (will edit add, take picture later when I find that screw).

I later purchased a bunch of spare screws, and added the new barrel nut in cart just to see. With the new barrel nut installed, my OCD feeling more confident to utilize a standard AR armorers wrench. In this case the Magpul Armorers wrench, instead of the Geisselle Wrench or random spanner wrench that "works" but not made specifically for it,

The screw drops right in smooth with no issues. So I don't know.

Test fired, didnt blow up in my face. And barrel isn't canted some slight degree off from being misaligned or over tightened or something. So I guess it works
View Quote
The Gen 1 barrel nuts to me are so simple it just amazes me the complaining I hear about finding a wrench, to me and I have both the original are superior.  That is a beautiful build btw
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top