Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2012 1:08:07 AM EDT
Hi everybody,my name is Dave I live in western washington, I;m ready to buy a ar15 upper kit and build my first AR.
I would like to hear from you all about which companies I should stay away from when purchasing my upper kit and lower receiver and parts.
Iknow there are shady sellers of parts and there are high quaility parts at very resonable prices.Off the top of my head I was thinking del ton but have to wait 2 months after ordering
I also thought about Bravo company thank you all in advance
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Bravo Company is an excellent choice.

Visit the industry section. You're probably safe going with any of them.

Really need to state your intended purpose and budget to help refine any recommendations.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I would stay away from Palmetto State Armory. Their great products and low price will surely drain your wallet.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would stay away from Palmetto State Armory. Their great products and low price will surely drain your wallet.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't too thrilled when I ordered an upper assembly from DSA, which was listed as available.  Got an email a couple of days later saying it was back ordered.  Why don't they just say so on the website like the other suppliers do?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
You would be suprise how hard it is to update a website constantly i know because that is what i do for a living.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for Del-Ton check with JSE surplus. I've ordered two uppers from them. Great customer service as well.

JSE
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also go with JSE. They have 6 del-ton kits in stock right now. You can add to them for not too much. The free float rails are UTG and according to the part number they are the new, made in the USA, models. Good price on those kits, you probably won't find them cheaper. I would then head over to Surplus Ammo and Arms (.com) and get either their branded lower or an Aero Precision lower (both are made by Aero). They are in Tacoma.
Stay away from Blackthorn, AK47 kits (or is it AR15 KITS now). I have no personal experience with these 2, its just what I read.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You would be suprise how hard it is to update a website constantly i know because that is what i do for a living.....

Shouldn't be to hard for DSA, they've been out of most everything AR related since January.

OP, Palmetto State Armory is a great value. You may have to wait a couple of weeks, but they deliver a great product.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Who to avoid...

Hesse
Vulcan
Blackthorne
AKParts
Red X
Olympic Arms

Top 4 are the same outfit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Stay away from R-Guns
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
thank you guys, I appriceate the feed back
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Spend wisely, spend once, buy BCM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd tell you to buy the best first time around and get a larue, but to fully appreciate the quality and craftsmanship you need to be familiar with lesser quality options and problems they are plagued with!
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd go to Rainier Arms in Auburn if you're anywhere close to them...

They will help you out and get you all set up with high quality parts.  Great prices also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Also avoid these commercial grade items....

DPMS

Bushmaster

Stag Arms

RRA

Olympic Arms

Remington

Del-Ton

CMMG

Les Baer

Wilson Combat

These are proven, hard use, military grade companies:

Daniel Defense

Bravo Company

Colt

Noveske

LaRue

LMT
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Another plug for Rainer Arms in Auburn, go see what they have.

They have all kinds of good stuff and treat you right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another plug for Rainer Arms in Auburn, go see what they have.

They have all kinds of good stuff and treat you right.

Rainier Arms are good people. I always forget about them. I own their raptor charging handle and I love it. Although pricey, it is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

DPMS
Bushmaster
Stag Arms
RRA
Olympic Arms
Remington
Del-Ton
CMMG
Les Baer
Wilson Combat

Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Colt
Noveske
LaRue
LMT

Is a Stag with plus package still just a commercial grade item?? I'll be the first to say that im relatively new to the AR world, just buying a Stag with plus package a few weeks ago. With that being said...if the plus package upgrades to mil-spec components how is that so much less of a quality than a mil-spec Colt? Not to start a war, nor do i think Stag is on the exact same level as the military grade companies you mentioned. The plus package equipped Stag out the door was close to $150  than a 6920 i was considering. I guess Colt mil-spec is far superior to Stag mil-spec?

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS
Bushmaster
Stag Arms
RRA
Olympic Arms
Remington
Del-Ton
CMMG
Les Baer
Wilson Combat

Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Colt
Noveske
LaRue
LMT

Is a Stag with plus package still just a commercial grade item?? I'll be the first to say that im relatively new to the AR world, just buying a Stag with plus package a few weeks ago. With that being said...if the plus package upgrades to mil-spec components how is that so much less of a quality than a mil-spec Colt? Not to start a war, nor do i think Stag is on the exact same level as the military grade companies you mentioned. The plus package equipped Stag out the door was close to $150  than a 6920 i was considering. I guess Colt mil-spec is far superior to Stag mil-spec?

By "the letter of the law", there are only a few companies who have ever had access to the TDP (Technical Data Package):

The ORIGINAL Armalite (Fairchild Aircraft)
Colt
General Motors Hydramatic Division
Harrington Richardson
FN
Bushmaster (Only a VERY FEW guns built)
Sabre Arms
Most recently, Remington

The TDP Defines "Mil Spec"!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS
Bushmaster
Stag Arms
RRA
Olympic Arms
Remington
Del-Ton
CMMG
Les Baer
Wilson Combat

Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Colt
Noveske
LaRue
LMT

You can't go wrong with a Stag. I am a big fan of Stag have a M8 and love it. There mother company CMT make a lot of parts for a lot a ar makers. If they didn't have the deer head a lot more People would give them more props
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Contrary to that opinion, Stag and Bushmaster are okay.  

Hell half of that guys list, this place was beating off daily over half of them at one point or another. Half of those listed were Arfcom darling fad rifles at one time or another.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'd add DPMS and Del-Ton to that as well. Mine have been trouble free for thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Compared to Olympic and Hesse?

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who to avoid...

Hesse

Vulcan

Blackthorne

AKParts

Red X

Olympic Arms

Top 4 are the same outfit.

Or most anyone, except Colt, that says they supply guns to the special forces, seals, swat cops, secret agents, etc.

I would say KAC....as well....

SASS

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I would agree on the Stag....but Bushmaster....maybe before the Monkeys took it over and combined them with DPMS AND REMINGTON....Now they all say Remington Arms....Junk.

SASS

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

DPMS

Bushmaster

Stag Arms

RRA

Olympic Arms

Remington

Del-Ton

CMMG

Les Baer

Wilson Combat

Daniel Defense

Bravo Company

Colt

Noveske

LaRue

LMT

Uh...you forgot one on the Proven List....ArmaLite.

SASS

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Buy once, cry once:

BCM
Noveske
LMT
KAC
Spike's
Colt
LWRC
*ETA: LaRue, Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#31]
All my newer stuff is LaRue. I have a couple of older Colt's just for fun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

DPMS
Bushmaster
Stag Arms
RRA
Olympic Arms
Remington
Del-Ton
CMMG
Les Baer
Wilson Combat

Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Colt
Noveske
LaRue
LMT

SASS

Most of the companies produce servicable parts/guns.
Armalite MAY be quality, but they do NOT have access to the TDP as they have never produced an M-16 for gov.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS

Bushmaster

Stag Arms

RRA

Olympic Arms

Remington

Del-Ton

CMMG

Les Baer

Wilson Combat
Daniel Defense

Bravo Company

Colt

Noveske

LaRue

LMT

SASS

Most of the companies produce servicable parts/guns.

Armalite MAY be quality, but they do NOT have access to the TDP as they have never produced an M-16 for gov.
My Apologies...I was Referring to the AR-10s... As for the M-15s...They do have contracts for Automatics...Not sure with whom... so I have been told my a RELIABLE SOURCE...In the gun Industry...

As for my M-15....I would NOT TRADE IT FOR 100 COLTS....but hey...I am abit weird on days....LOL

SASS

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Our departments last carbine class there were only two people in our group to hit the 6" plate at 300 yards with iron sights, another officer and I. I used my Model 1 sales barrel and he used his DPMS carbine. We were out shooting alot of top quality rifles.

I would agree and not buy Hesse or any those but if its a decent brand, buy it and shoot it because knowing how to shoot helps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Research is essential.

Bushmaster is the suck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top