Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2011 2:50:27 PM EDT
Since there's been a tiny bit of talk (controversy?) of SOPMOD stocks produced by B5 Systems, I figured that maybe I should do a quick review of a B5 SOPMOD that I purchased new from Rally Point Tactical and compare it to my LMT SOPMOD.  As far as I'm aware, this one is not one from  the first batch sold a few months back that some users reported having trouble fitting on mil-spec extensions.  I assume this because when I ordered through Rally Point, they were actually waiting on a shipment of the stocks to get to them first (I won't get into a dealer selling things they don't have on hand without any heads up).  I'll go ahead and apologize now for some of the out of focus/blurry pictures.

The hosts:

First off I'll say this––without taking a pair of calipers to confirm, the two stocks are basically visually identical.  There is no dimension that is off or skewed that you may see from a knockoff or airsoft copy.  The surfaces of the B5 stock are slightly rougher than the LMT, which you may be able to see in my shitty pictures.  

That said, I'll go into the small details.

First we have trademarks:

Nothing out of the ordinary on the front of the stock:

Nothing out of the ordinary at the rear of the stock:

Battery tube caps use black O-rings instead of orange, not sure how big a deal that is but I've seen it mentioned when discussing these stocks:

Buttpad and rear of stock looks exactly like the LMT:

Now the latches are where I've seen the most difference.  The LMT latch is much better "finished" than the B5.  The edges of the LMT latch are consistently rounded and appear "neat", where the B5's latch is mostly sharp on the edges you wouldn't touch anyway.  Also, a difference I noticed from this B5 stock and earlier version(s) are the checkered grip surface of the latch and the lack thereof on the earlier ones.

Now onto the performance of the stock.  The B5 SOPMOD fit without struggle or hammer onto two different branded mil-spec extensions that I had on hand.  Out of the blue bag, the latch lock bar (is what I'm going to call the cylinder bar that locks the stock in the positions in the tube) was adjusted too high, causing it to bump against the position notches and sometimes get stuck when changing the stock position.  This was remedied by using a zip tie to keep the latch bar in a full unlocked position, punching the pin out of the bar, and adjusting the bar to sit lower.  Now it works just as it should and exactly like the LMT.

My opinion on this is that the B5 appears to be just as functional as the LMT SOPMOD.  There are very, very minor differences in appearance, namely of the latch, that does not affect function.  As far as build quality, I cannot comment on whether they're made of the exact same plastic or not, but the "weight and feel" of the stocks are very similar.  I purchased the B5 from Rally Point Tactical for $120, and the LMT for $170, both new.  Is it worth the $50 difference?  Let's just say if I were building another rifle that called for a SOPMOD stock, I don't think I'd rule out the B5 as an option.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since there's been a tiny bit of talk (controversy?) of SOPMOD stocks produced by B5 Systems, I figured that maybe I should do a quick review of a B5 SOPMOD that I purchased new from Rally Point Tactical and compare it to my LMT SOPMOD.  As far as I'm aware, this one is not one from  the first batch sold a few months back that some users reported having trouble fitting on mil-spec extensions.  I assume this because when I ordered through Rally Point, they were actually waiting on a shipment of the stocks to get to them first (I won't get into a dealer selling things they don't have on hand without any heads up).  I'll go ahead and apologize now for some of the out of focus/blurry pictures.

The hosts:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PeYmSm2Zw-g/Tqss2wc2vxI/AAAAAAAABYI/tA2fkdDJ0s0/s720/IMG_0359.JPG

First off I'll say this––without taking a pair of calipers to confirm, the two stocks are basically visually identical.  There is no dimension that is off or skewed that you may see from a knockoff or airsoft copy.  The surfaces of the B5 stock are slightly rougher than the LMT, which you may be able to see in my shitty pictures.  

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RkLnitiGcq8/TqseKkKRKmI/AAAAAAAABXQ/n0zv-gzA_as/s1024/IMG_0333.JPG

That said, I'll go into the small details.

First we have trademarks:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A1NSNFLHwrc/TqseNeBP8II/AAAAAAAABXU/ooPOvfVGuEI/s1024/IMG_0338.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u-N6VFm7LVo/TqseQAY44KI/AAAAAAAABXY/d6URloEpodA/s1024/IMG_0341.JPG

Nothing out of the ordinary on the front of the stock:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yBGTkDWMSmU/TqseSWs4ReI/AAAAAAAABXc/epzfuVk-UaM/s1024/IMG_0344.JPG

Nothing out of the ordinary at the rear of the stock:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1puOZ4jy1nc/TqseXsXIVOI/AAAAAAAABXo/SWQWfKmO-aA/s1024/IMG_0350.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hB5RROSeJHU/TqseZuwu5tI/AAAAAAAABXs/dECg_pMqywI/s1024/IMG_0351.JPG

Battery tube caps use black O-rings instead of orange, not sure how big a deal that is but I've seen it mentioned when discussing these stocks:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KI9swkSr2sc/TqsebmKr39I/AAAAAAAABXw/xXkVwej2njQ/s1024/IMG_0354.JPG

Buttpad and rear of stock looks exactly like the LMT:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dsQ3iZ6i3ZY/TqsetZgW7vI/AAAAAAAABX0/QxvOcSXGvMY/s1024/IMG_0357.JPG

Now the latches are where I've seen the most difference.  The LMT latch is much better "finished" than the B5.  The edges of the LMT latch are consistently rounded and appear "neat", where the B5's latch is mostly sharp on the edges you wouldn't touch anyway.  Also, a difference I noticed from this B5 stock and earlier version(s) are the checkered grip surface of the latch and the lack thereof on the earlier ones.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5EN2jZUKVVM/TqseU1XB6nI/AAAAAAAABXk/jvqHYoB931o/s1024/IMG_0349.JPG

Now onto the performance of the stock.  The B5 SOPMOD fit without struggle or hammer onto two different branded mil-spec extensions that I had on hand.  Out of the blue bag, the latch lock bar (is what I'm going to call the cylinder bar that locks the stock in the positions in the tube) was adjusted too high, causing it to bump against the position notches and sometimes get stuck when changing the stock position.  This was remedied by using a zip tie to keep the latch bar in a full unlocked position, punching the pin out of the bar, and adjusting the bar to sit lower.  Now it works just as it should and exactly like the LMT.

My opinion on this is that the B5 appears to be just as functional as the LMT SOPMOD.  There are very, very minor differences in appearance, namely of the latch, that does not affect function.  As far as build quality, I cannot comment on whether they're made of the exact same plastic or not, but the "weight and feel" of the stocks are very similar.  I purchased the B5 from Rally Point Tactical for $120, and the LMT for $170, both new.  Is it worth the $50 difference?  Let's just say if I were building another rifle that called for a SOPMOD stock, I don't think I'd rule out the B5 as an option.

Good review.

Why would you completely rule out the B5 for a build calling for a sopmod?

I know B5 does indeed make for the .mil
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good review.

Why would you completely rule out the B5 for a build calling for a sopmod?

I know B5 does indeed make for the .mil

I wouldn't rule out the B5 stock.  I apologize, my wording was a bit long winded, but what I meant to say is that the B5 stock seems to be a completely suitable choice at a much lower price than a new LMT version.

Quoted:
So even with a "good one" it was still assembled wrong, and you had to adjust it. Well, at least they fit the extension.

Yes, that is very true.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the review.

I would like to see some reviews in a few months of some hard use on te B5 to see if it will hold up as well as an LMT, the locking mechanism is always the weak point for a collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice review, thanks.  I might have to pick one of these up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice review! Rally Point Tactical is mainly a Distributor, so their online retail operation is mostly to show their products. Once dealer orders begin to get fulfilled, you will see these at much cheaper prices...MAP is well below $120!

Keep us posted as you continue to use the stock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle Gear is in CA and should have the B5, but without the QD socket.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
rptactical will not ship to CA, just an FYI.  

CA is a huge market, they got their information wrong and I tried to tell them.  The item was back ordered for a few weeks and I never got a notice from them.  Mark me as one unhappy customer that will not buy from them again.

I'm otherwise interested in a B5 stock, at that price it's much easier on the budget

I am in cali and am expecting a shipment of 50 units from RPT. You might want to contact them again and talk to someone different. you can PM me and I can give you the contact for my Rep if you want.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rifle Gear is in CA and should have the B5, but without the QD socket.

No, the ones that RG is getting do have the QD sockets :]

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1234-b5-sopmod-stock.aspx

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice review.  

The QD sockets appear to be slightly different shape/finish.  Again, no biggie. but...  I think I'll stick to LMT SOPMOD off the EE for now.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Out of the blue bag, the latch lock bar (is what I'm going to call the cylinder bar that locks the stock in the positions in the tube) was adjusted too high, causing it to bump against the position notches and sometimes get stuck when changing the stock position.  This was remedied by using a zip tie to keep the latch bar in a full unlocked position, punching the pin out of the bar, and adjusting the bar to sit lower.

How did you get the pin out of the lock bar?

I'm having this problem on a Gen1 B5 SOPMOD and that pin won't budge. I'm using a roll pin punch and a brass hammer. I've tried it with the latch lock bar in the locked and unlocked position. That pin is just not moving. (Though the latch lock bar and the nut do spin out of position after a few good hits)

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of the blue bag, the latch lock bar (is what I'm going to call the cylinder bar that locks the stock in the positions in the tube) was adjusted too high, causing it to bump against the position notches and sometimes get stuck when changing the stock position.  This was remedied by using a zip tie to keep the latch bar in a full unlocked position, punching the pin out of the bar, and adjusting the bar to sit lower.

How did you get the pin out of the lock bar?

I'm having this problem on a Gen1 B5 SOPMOD and that pin won't budge. I'm using a roll pin punch and a brass hammer. I've tried it with the latch lock bar in the locked and unlocked position. That pin is just not moving. (Though the latch lock bar and the nut do spin out of position after a few good hits)

I pulled the latch all the way down enough to expose the threads of the bolt, and used a zip tie to keep the head off the latch. Then I just punched out the pin with a hammer and punch.  Should just take one good whack to knock it loose.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a black B5 from Riflegear a week or so ago. Compared to my LMT stock, which is also black, the finish is very slightly different (I would call it "textured" but not "rougher") and the buttpad is shiny compared to the LMT's matte pad. Both stocks feel very, very solid, and neither have any side to side play.  I didn't have any issues with the latch on the B5.

I'd say that these stocks seem pretty interchangable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my B5 and I'm very happy with it!  I even
ordered another one.  2 for the price of 1 LMT.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got my FDE B5 stock from Aim in today. I will say that it feels the
same as an LMT model. However, the dye job or whatever process they use
made it kind of splotchy. If you're worried about the color matching
Magpul stuff, it's very close. My only actual complaint is that the QD
socket will not accept my sling attachment on the right side, but it did
on the left. Being that I'm a lefty, it kind of sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top