Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2011 10:15:21 AM EDT
OK so i was gonna buy a spikes lower. i read alot about them. and i like how they offer the pictograph safety. and how they will do color fill from the factory. but i called my ffl to do the transfer yesterday and he told me he can get a Yankee hill striped lower for less when its all said and down and i can have it in a few days rather then weeks because spikes is backorder now. my question here is is Yankee hill any good i have read very little about them and haven't seen much about there lowers. most i have ever seen about YHM is there barrels, quad rails and silencers. nothing else. can anyone vouch for the quality of there lowers as far as fit and finish?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy with confidence.  A lower is a lower is a lower as long as it is in spec which YHM stripped lowers are and I have not heard anything bad about them.  Now if it was a barrel I would say go Spikes and wait the three or so weeks
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I built a rifle on a YHM lower, the rest were Colt parts. I have enough other rifles that I haven't shot this one yet, but I can see nothing wrong with it. I like the YHM roll mark, since it is not a bad cartoon like so many other marks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
the waiting time aside. all things are equal? it just bothers me that i have only been able to find one article about the AR15 they offer and hardly anything about the lower. one review talks about using a wedge to get the upper and lower to fit right. hopefully more arfcomers can chime in with better reviews
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't matter which lower you choose to purchase. As long as it is in spec then you have nothing to worry about. Either of the two that you mentioned will be fine. Also, you don't need to use an Accuwedge with any lower to upper fit. That was the personal choice of the user to do so. Don't let a review sway you one way or the other.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If I was in a hurry and wanted to save money I would have no problem with YHM. They make good stuff at great prices consistently. The rails arent the narrowest, or the lightest but they build them like a brick outhouse.

If I wasnt in a hurry and didnt care if it cost an extra few dollars and it was what I really wanted, Id wait on the Spikes. I mean it sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of the YHM because you deep down want the Spikes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a YHM lower paired with a Vltor VIS-2 and the two fit together perfectly. I used a DD LPK and went together without issues. No wierd/stupid rollmark either, just their YHM logo. They are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I was in a hurry and wanted to save money I would have no problem with YHM. They make good stuff at great prices consistently. The rails arent the narrowest, or the lightest but they build them like a brick outhouse.

If I wasnt in a hurry and didnt care if it cost an extra few dollars and it was what I really wanted, Id wait on the Spikes. I mean it sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of the YHM because you deep down want the Spikes.

i just get worried when i look at products and it seems like no one is useing them, and i cant find much online for reviews. yhm isnt looking so bad when really the only thing that stands out to me between the two is the roll mark and the pictogram saftey. it dosnt seem like else is differant. and it dosnt seem like all lowers are the same my friends dpms dosnt fit on my RRA upper but my RRA gun fits very snug together. but hopefully some more good reviews come of this thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I suggest reading and researching a bit more before making your purchase.  If you are not aware that a standard lower is basically for all intensive purposes equal to another standard lower then there may be other areas of your purchase that you may be making uniformed decisions.

I would recommend just reading threads here and in the "build it yourself" and the "uppers, lowers"..etc... forums for another 2 weeks before making anymore purchases.

ETA... the problem with the DPMS upper lower isn't with the DPMS lower... its with the RRA upper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a YHM lower almost a year ago from a local shop. Fit and finish is great, the Spikes LPK went in without a hitch, Spikes upper I mated to it has just the smallest bit of wobble and the price was good(around $99 local when I got it). I think YHM is relatively new to the lower business and didn't really introduce them with a lot of fanfare. I remember reading somewhere that YHM actually makes there own lowers but I don't know for sure. If you're hesitant because you're unsure of quality, I would say don't worry and buy with confidence. If you're hesitant because you have your heart set on the Spikes, then hold out a little longer and get it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]
i have been doing alot of reading. and i do know that for the most part a lower is a lower. but not all company's take the same kind of time on finishing there lowers. i had read alot about spikes. never even considered YHM lowers until my dealer told me about the deal. i was impressed with there Friends and free float rails but outside of that had no experience with there other products. and was hoping people could share there experiences with YHM lowers.

as for the rest of the build i think i have that pretty much covered with some high quality parts. BCM upper with a 16in barrel mid length. not sure what free float rail to use or if i should just go with MOE handgaurds and the bolt and carrier group I'm undecided on. but i think i have plenty of time for that seeing as how I'm only buying a striped lower now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Just my opinion but if you want a Spike's lower, shop around for one. You could order one from any online dealer with one in stock. The trade off is your FFL's transfer fee. My FFL is cool enough to not persuede me to buy what HE has in stock as opposed to what I want.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i have been doing alot of reading. and i do know that for the most part a lower is a lower. but not all company's take the same kind of time on finishing there lowers. i had read alot about spikes. never even considered YHM lowers until my dealer told me about the deal. i was impressed with there Friends and free float rails but outside of that had no experience with there other products. and was hoping people could share there experiences with YHM lowers.

as for the rest of the build i think i have that pretty much covered with some high quality parts. BCM upper with a 16in barrel mid length. not sure what free float rail to use or if i should just go with MOE handgaurds and the bolt and carrier group I'm undecided on. but i think i have plenty of time for that seeing as how I'm only buying a striped lower now.

personally i think you should get a tactical drop in rather than an MOE or a free float. i think too many people free float their barrels when they really don't need to. the gun will most likely outshoot you regardless! unless this is a competition rifle i wouldn't waste my money there. and as far as the MOE goes, they are great if all you want is a vertical grip however they often leave people wanting a little more. truthfully i just dont like the way they look all that much, especially on a midlength, i dont mind them on a carbine (looks wise) and i have a set on my carbine however i wish i wouldn't have cheaped out and gotten a tactical drop in.

of course looks is all in the eyes of the beholder, MOE's do the job they are supposed to and they are really light (and quite comfortable without a vertical grip as well IMO). wouldn't waste my money on a free float unless i absolutely needed it though.

and i think if you want the spikes you should wait because there is nothing worse than buying something you really didn't want in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I've been told, there are only 3 or 4 foundries that make the forgings.  There are umteen placec with CNC machines to do the finish work.  As long as it's Mil-Spec, it's GTG.  I've seen the YHM lowers, and they're nice.  I opted for Aero Precision Multi-Cal lowers.  They're OE for Armalite, and at the time were cheaper than YHM.  $89 vs $95.  I think the YHM's are selling for $115 in SW Florida.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
i have yhm upper and the finish and fit are great so i would not hesitate to buy their lower. evrything else they build seem to be good quality dont see why the lower would be any different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
YHM lowers are GTG. They are made in house, they are in spec, have nice clean machining and type III anodized finish. They also have  a great "so big Ray Charles could find it" mag well bevel. I just recently used one to SBR, fit and function is top notch.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a complete yhm rifle and i love it.  I also used the lower with my cmmg .22 upper until i bought a seperate lower for it.

buy with confidence
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have two YHM upper receivers, an A2 and an A3. The fit and finish on them is excellent with my Bushmaster lowers.

The people at YHM are also very helpful and friendly when talking to them over the phone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Just because they aren't the forum boner doesn't mean that they aren't perfectly acceptable lowers.  There are a handful of lowers that are consistently out of spec.  Barring those, a lower is a lower.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
so the next question is is 109 bucks for a yhm lower a good price?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#20]

$109 is a good price.

Today at the gun show, a dealer who sells only AR parts had a Noveske, LAR, and YHM lowers for sale. He claimed YHM were made by LAR and were very nice recievers.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yes.

i live about 45 minutes from YHM.  and the closest shop to them was selling them for $125.(about 1 1/2 years ago)

my build on a YHM lower
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, I have three of them. Last time I ordered (about 9 months ago) I had two of them sent to my FFL. Got them "on sale'' for $124.00 each. They List from YHM at $180.00 each, so I'd say that would be a really good deal for a YHM lower. All of the YHM products I have are all 1st rate quality. I would never have a second thought buying YHM, good stuff
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have picked up 3 for $99 each. They are top notch, with a great flat black finish, highly recommend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#24]
you can also check your home town forum and see if there is a FFL in your area that will do transfer cheaper if you want the spikes, but $109 out the door is not a bad price for a lower
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#25]
For what it's worth-Brownells just got in the Spikes stripped lowers. I was in the same situation and ordered the YHM. Havn't built it yet––but friends tell me the YHM unit is well built and they have had no fitment problems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a YHM lower. Go with the Spikes! Absolutley go with the Spikes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]
YHM lower, RRA LPK, with a fully assembled (factory) RRA 16-inch mid-length upper..................3,000 rounds and not a problem yet.  no wobbles, no slack, no play between the two what-so-ever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#28]
My Yankee Hill lower is excellent; good finish, good fit, many rounds with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a YHM lower. Go with the Spikes! Absolutely go with the Spikes.

i really hope this is a joke or sarcasm if not maybe you could enlighten me to you reasoning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top