Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 70 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I snagged it hopefully just waiting on reply.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
Don't be afraid to ask for help, there are many great MRP Anonymous groups out there.  I was working the program perfectly, until I fell for the ole' $449 MLR chassis.

Many people still believe the MRP's on the fly QD barrel design is the main benefit to the design.   Personally, I'd put that feature well before several more important ones like ridigity, heat dissipation, and barrel hookup design.  Your collection of awesome MRPs, along with numerous others in this thread kind of bears this fact out.

I love cleaning MRPs due to their design allowing me to clean the barrel by itself.   The QD barrel design is much more useful in the MWS large frame in my book.  I can see buying one MWS, and a 6.5cm/16" .308/13.5" .308 barrel options for it.

Congrats on having a full brothel of MRPs, they're all fantastic looking setups.

ETA:  You need another rifle length
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Don't be afraid to ask for help, there are many great MRP Anonymous groups out there.  I was working the program perfectly, until I fell for the ole' $449 MLR chassis.

Many people still believe the MRP's on the fly QD barrel design is the main benefit to the design.   Personally, I'd put that feature well before several more important ones like ridigity, heat dissipation, and barrel hookup design.  Your collection of awesome MRPs, along with numerous others in this thread kind of bears this fact out.

I love cleaning MRPs due to their design allowing me to clean the barrel by itself.   The QD barrel design is much more useful in the MWS large frame in my book.  I can see buying one MWS, and a 6.5cm/16" .308/13.5" .308 barrel options for it.

Congrats on having a full brothel of MRPs, they're all fantastic looking setups.

Thanks!  I'll have my second MLR next week.  But, for the first time I have more uppers than barrels so I need to figure out what gets swapped around.  Or just get another barrel.

Originally Posted By Outrider:

Nice. Seems like you are due for a large frame version!
Thanks, and you're right.  I was going to get the barrel and upper during the sale but I kinda really blew my gun budget so I did the "responsible" thing and didn't start another build...yet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#3]
Originally Posted By jglock53:
View All Quotes
Good deal, and I was happy earlier to see a regular Badness member get it.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Originally Posted By hammermill290:

Thanks!  I'll have my second MLR next week.  But, for the first time I have more uppers than barrels so I need to figure out what gets swapped around.  Or just get another barrel.
Did LMT give you tracking or something with regards to knowing your gonna get the MLR next week?   You got good problems my friend

Originally Posted By thehun06:

I agree 100%...there are many other benefits of the MRP/MWS upper design like what you've pointed out.

I run a MWS with a pinned 13.5" barrel and a 16" LW ADCO contoured barrel...both 7.62x51...along with my MARS-L in 5.56...
That sounds awesome on the MWS....and that's high on my project list.   I want to get the LW 13.5" model pinned like you did with yours.  Hell, then I'll want the lighter MLOK chassis...lol
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#4]

View Quote
I agree 100%...there are many other benefits of the MRP/MWS upper design like what you've pointed out.

I think one of the biggest benefits that doesn't get talked about too much is the heat dissipation aspect of the design...along with the barrel lock up makes the MRP/MWS in DI much more reliable in my opinion...less stress...less heat...= a better and longer performing firearm...

I run a MWS with a pinned 13.5" barrel and a 16" LW ADCO contoured barrel...both 7.62x51...along with my MARS-L in 5.56...
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

I think one of the biggest benefits that doesn't get talked about too much is the heat dissipation aspect of the design...along with the barrel lock up makes the MRP/MWS in DI much more reliable in my opinion...less stress...less heat...= a better and longer performing firearm...

View Quote
On the topic of heat dissipation, I ran a few mags suppressed full auto with my MRP upper and the handguard wasn't too hot to touch! My BCM MCMRs start burning me after some spirited semi auto shooting haha.

Man, I love this thread. Just a bunch of fanboys doing fanboy things talking about the best god damn rifles out there
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it will be who knows when I get the MLOK chassis, I figured I'd share the RailScale setup I ordered for this build that arrived today.    Again I ordered on Weds. night with free shipping, and heard from Jake at RS by 9am the next morning saying they shipped.  It arrived today....finally I won the free shipping lottery

Normally I couldn't justify paying $145 for a handguard/chassis control package, but I wanted to go all in on this particular build, as I intend to really log some miles on this future rifle.  I haven't installed them yet, but these panel's design, execution, attention to detail, and superb quality are completely unique in the marketplace.   Things are light as feather.  I can only imagine the actual grip to these will be better than anything I've had in the past.  Time will tell though.

I just really appreciate a smaller outfit that innovates, doesn't cut corners, and seems to really care about your business.

Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jglock53] [#7]
Here is one of mine. I just need to find a better way to secure the wire for the light. I also need to figure out how to take better pictures.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:

On the topic of heat dissipation, I ran a few mags suppressed full auto with my MRP upper and the handguard wasn't too hot to touch! My BCM MCMRs start burning me after some spirited semi auto shooting haha.

Man, I love this thread. Just a bunch of fanboys doing fanboy things talking about the best damn rifles out there
View Quote
I mean...LMT earned my fanboyism with their quality and awesome after sale service...
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is one of mine. I just need to find a better way to secure the wire for the light. I also need to figure out how to take better pictures.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374260/IMG_7268_jpg-804264.JPG
View Quote
Awesome rifle brother.   Best pictures from newbs like myself are usually done outdoors, with shaded sun conditions.  Pick a nice sterile background, and lay some pieces of foam under the rifle if it will touch the cement, or brick of a driveway for example.

I see you got Larue clips on there, and maybe even the ones that are designed to keep the wires held to the rail.   I've never used them, so I don't know if they are any good, however I just use black, rather thin zip ties, and zip the wire in two places to the rail.   Been doing it this way for years, and with many different setups.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Did LMT give you tracking or something with regards to knowing your gonna get the MLR next week?   You got good problems my friend
View Quote
No, they didn't send me any notification.  I just checked my USPS account under the Informed Delivery tab and it shows what mail and packages are on the way along with any updates on the progress through their facilities.  I'm showing something from Milan, IL should be delivered Monday so I have to assume it's my MLR order.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#11]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374260/IMG_7268_jpg-804264.JPG
View Quote
@jglock53

This is what I use for wire management...simple...works great...won't deteriorate on you...affordable...plus in a pinch makes great fire starters...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332636577683
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jglock53] [#12]
thanks for the link. I can kill two birds with one stone and use those for sling management also.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#13]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

No, they didn't send me any notification.  I just checked my USPS account under the Informed Delivery tab and it shows what mail and packages are on the way along with any updates on the progress through their facilities.  I'm showing something from Milan, IL should be delivered Monday so I have to assume it's my MLR order.
View Quote
Nice!  Thanks for the info, and that's cool you figured it that way.

ETA: your my hero for the day....I just filled out the informed delivery feature, and it's like a whole new world opened up.  I had no clue about that.

Anyways....got a Rapid Express package coming from Milan showing delivery by 1/12

Thanks again for enlightening me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#15]
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Kiloecho1776/media/IMG_7918_zpsfu9u09fo.jpg.html?o=0

Got my MARS-L yesterday for my MLR. Very nice lower. Has an itty-bitty scratch just below the safety. Other then that its finish is amazing compaired to LMT of old. I remember the PURPLE Days. Upper has one spot on it where the grayish graphite internal finish came out. What I don't like. While I think the true ambi-lower is awesome, ambi bolt release sticks out quite a ways. This could possibly bump and break off. DUNNO. Like it though. THe left side magazine release has a cast mark. Not a big deal. The magazine well thin stamp mark on the left side of the upper and lower receiver do not line up. They are off by 1/8". Purely aesthetic though. Love it overall. Just need a barrel. My MWS Upper is still MIA. Dunno if the picture link works.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
LMT went with a HK-like anodizing on the newest guns.

My new MRP upper still has a slight purple haze...my MARS-L is perfect...no blems...if you aren't satisfied with it...call LMT...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#17]
View All Quotes
Super nice, I've wanted one of those lowers since they came out.  That's a sweet upper/lower combo

Originally Posted By Sabre675:
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Kiloecho1776/media/IMG_7918_zpsfu9u09fo.jpg.html?o=0

Got my MARS-L yesterday for my MLR. Very nice lower. Has an itty-bitty scratch just below the safety. Other then that its finish is amazing compaired to LMT of old. I remember the PURPLE Days. Upper has one spot on it where the grayish graphite internal finish came out. What I don't like. While I think the true ambi-lower is awesome, ambi bolt release sticks out quite a ways. This could possibly bump and break off. DUNNO. Like it though. THe left side magazine release has a cast mark. Not a big deal. The magazine well thin stamp mark on the left side of the upper and lower receiver do not line up. They are off by 1/8". Purely aesthetic though. Love it overall. Just need a barrel. My MWS Upper is still MIA. Dunno if the picture link works.
Sorry to hear that your unhappy with certain aspects of your new lower.   Whatever you do, if your truly not happy with something now, don't wait to ask LMT about it.

Here is your picture brother, congrats of your new hardware.   Looks great in the pic.

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the advice fellas and thank you for posting my picture. Truthfully I’m fine with both products. The scratch, will only slightly annoy me. It can be seen in the photo but it is minuscule. The mold mark I am referring to is the wide vertical band on the left side of the magazine well that continues up onto the upper receiver next to the white numerical role mark... no way to remedy an out of spec factory forge. If mine has it, they all do.

So much work and investment in front of me to get these rifles where I want them... they’ll be sweet...

My KAC desires don’t exist anymore ...

Really want some rail scales... can’t wait to see some of greasys photos
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Was reading an article by the Des Moines Registry about LMT's move to IA. It talked about the Estonia contract and the move and new location. But I found this quote by Matt Pruitt, LMT's sales and marketing director, interesting. He said:

"This is our first time in Estonia. As a company, we are in 45 countries in the world."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2019/01/06/lewis-machine-tool-estonian-defence-forces-contract-eastern-iowa/2498401002/

Does LMT really have contracts with 45 countries around the world? Not bad for a company that only has 128 employees and has won three big military contracts with the UK, NZ and now Estonia.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Got my MARS-L yesterday for my MLR. Very nice lower. Has an itty-bitty scratch just below the safety. Other then that its finish is amazing compared to LMT of old. I remember the PURPLE Days. Upper has one spot on it where the grayish graphite internal finish came out. What I don't like. While I think the true ambi-lower is awesome, ambi bolt release sticks out quite a ways. This could possibly bump and break off. DUNNO. Like it though. THe left side magazine release has a cast mark. Not a big deal. The magazine well thin stamp mark on the left side of the upper and lower receiver do not line up. They are off by 1/8". Purely aesthetic though. Love it overall. Just need a barrel. My MWS Upper is still MIA. Dunno if the picture link works.
View Quote
Great rifles!  I like the dimpled barrel on the MWS.  My quad-rail rifle MRP does not line up with my MARS-LS lower either.  I've seen many posts about that here in the last few months.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Was reading an article by the Des Moines Registry about LMT's move to IA. It talked about the Estonia contract and the move and new location. But I found this quote by Matt Pruitt, LMT's sales and marketing director, interesting. He said:

"This is our first time in Estonia. As a company, we are in 45 countries in the world."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2019/01/06/lewis-machine-tool-estonian-defence-forces-contract-eastern-iowa/2498401002/

Does LMT really have contracts with 45 countries around the world? Not bad for a company that only has 128 employees and has won three big military contracts with the UK, NZ and now Estonia.
View Quote
I am sure they supply to other NATO countries...but big military contracts are only UK, NZ and Estonia...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Probably a lot of police departments and agencies included in that number as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
LMT is so secretive that it's always been a vault in terms of public info about their dealings.   I felt like I used to have a direct line to the LMT God in the past by being friends with an employee of some importance....but it's Area51 ever since he left.

Daddy gets to party now, as I type this my mail lady just delivered the barrel, and the LMT package
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#24]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Probably a lot of police departments and agencies included in that number as well.
View Quote
LMT is one of the few manufacturers of M203s so that may increase their geographic/global sales.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Sadly it's raining so the RS setup pics are crappy. I'll update them once conditions get better.   I'm a fanboy, but if something ever lived up to my expectations in the realm of guns....it's this new MLR chassis.   Every time I get a new chassis, I'm equally amazed at the depth, quality, and appearance of them.   This MLR is just much more sleek, sexy, and refined to the eye over the previous chassis designs imho.   It's perfection in my book.

The contour of this new chassis + RailScale setup is going to ruin me I bet

I use a thump over grip, and prefer to have an handstop that fits comfy b/t last two fingers...this setup is ideal for that grip.   The AI KAC handstop is the best one I've found for railed guns for this grip.

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
^^^^^^SICK!^^^^^^ I still can't decide on the minidot or Honeycomb pattern....
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#28]
This is a nasty pic @lmt_87
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#29]
View All Quotes
I was down to the honeycomb and matrix.    Some reviews that had said they tried numerous models stated the matrix had the best grip.   It was 50/50, and I went w/ honeycomb because outside of LMT parts, this build will be all KAC, and I thought the honeycombs are like KAC dimples

My early take aways from them are that they weigh nothing, they're paper thin, and seem to have great tactile feedback and grip in hand.

Tech question:

When did LMT switch the barrel bolts to the new ones.....the old ones seemed unique, and they had been designed to shear/break at a certain threshold far before the level of torque required to crush the barrel clamshell portion of the chassis.   The hollow end seemed to be part of this design in my head, however I have no clue.   This is very interesting.

New one on left.....old one is on right, ( 5 other chassis I own, including a MWS one have these old ones).

Originally Posted By jtdam24:

I concur sir, the man has a bonified brothel of monolithic goodness
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#30]
The two spares I picked up for my MWS in 2015 are solid bolts....FWIW...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Solid bolts on my new uppers too....

They switched over to them I think around 2014-2015
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm.  My CQBR has one of each.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I was down to the honeycomb and matrix.    Some reviews that had said they tried numerous models stated the matrix had the best grip.   It was 50/50, and I went w/ honeycomb because outside of LMT parts, this build will be all KAC, and I thought the honeycombs are like KAC dimples

My early take aways from them are that they weigh nothing, they're paper thin, and seem to have great tactile feedback and grip in hand.

Tech question:

When did LMT switch the barrel bolts to the new ones.....the old ones seemed unique, and they had been designed to shear/break at a certain threshold far before the level of torque required to crush the barrel clamshell portion of the chassis.   The hollow end seemed to be part of this design in my head, however I have no clue.   This is very interesting.

New one on left.....old one is on right, ( 5 other chassis I own, including a MWS one have these old ones).
https://i.imgur.com/Rqx3nFO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IlUOueW.jpg

I concur sir, the man has a bonified brothel of monolithic goodness
View Quote
Lol thanks guys, MRP/MWS railed for life Got my first RL chassis and LMT lower back in 2011 from drinking the koolaid of jtdam24 and had to have one. I have come to the conclusion that no other AR comes close to this platform, have built a lot of different ar's over the years and continue to stick by these in the end. Wondering if LMT will have anything new for SHOT this year and has anyone acquired a LMT suppressor yet? Really haven't seen or heard much as in way of reviews on them still.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably the Estonian piston MWS might make an appearance at Shot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#35]
Thanks for the data points on the bolts guys.  Timeline makes since, as I haven't bought a new MRP/MWS after the 2014/15 time period.

What's the theory behind the Estonian piston MWS?   Maybe the Estonians loved the L129A1 type config., however didn't like it suppressed.   Then maybe LMT developed this specific model to address that concern.   The 13.5" MWS barrel was originally made and only sold to the Brits....yet the L129A1 is issued with a 5R 16" SST barrel???   LMT did some extensive testing on a uniquely configured F/A, suppressed 13.5" MWS....yet nobody knows officially who requested those.  Those two facts lead some like myself to believe perhaps the request was made by SAS.   The reason I say this, is because it seems LMT is quite willing to take an existing model rifle, and tweak it specifically for different .mils.    Another example is the Kiwi MRP having a unique bayo lug barrel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the data points on the bolts guys.  Timeline makes since, as I haven't bought a new MRP/MWS after the 2014/15 time period.

What's the theory behind the Estonian piston MWS?   Maybe the Estonians loved the L129A1 type config., however didn't like it suppressed.   Then maybe LMT developed this specific model to address that concern.   The 13.5" MWS barrel was originally made and only sold to the Brits....yet the L129A1 is issued with a 5R 16" SST barrel???   LMT did some extensive testing on a uniquely configured F/A, suppressed 13.5" MWS....yet nobody knows officially who requested those.  Those two facts lead some like myself to believe perhaps the request was made by SAS.   The reason I say this, is because it seems LMT is quite willing to take an existing model rifle, and tweak it specifically for different .mils.    Another example is the Kiwi MRP having a unique bayo lug barrel.
View Quote
From the TFB article about the estonian rifle trials it says "Sources suggest that following a report into health concerns over exposure to propellant residue the Estonian defence forces are looking primarily at piston-driven rifles." Full article Here
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#37]
On the topic of MLOK Rail Segments....Those of you that have mounted an ATLAS or a Harris, what is the synopsis for mounting? Trusted brands of segments? Is a 3 segment sufficient? Any thoughts on the Kinetic Development group segments? I don't foresee running much more then a bipod on these two rifles, maybe a torch down the road....
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
The side mounted bayonet lug was from the ic submission
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#39]
So looking to see if this has happend to anyone else.  Bought a MRP CQB from Brownells and a LMT FA BCG during black Friday last year.  Sent the barrel out chop down to 14.5.  Finally got to the range yesterday.  Shot about 10 rounds unsupressed to sight in my scope.  Then starting shooting supressed, after about another 15 rounds the BCG wouldn't go into battery.  Short story found the gas tube bent and the gas key hole has a slight ding.  I've dry fired this rifle several times and never had any bind up.  I've never seen anything like this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Never seen that, dont even know how the hell that would happen
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Dang that's crazy.   I wonder if LMT would take a look at the assembled upper and find which component is at fault.   I would hate to replace the gas tube just to end up doing it again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By foughtstrong:
So looking to see if this has happend to anyone else.  Bought a MRP CQB from Brownells and a LMT FA BCG during black Friday last year.  Sent the barrel out chop down to 14.5.  Finally got to the range yesterday.  Shot about 10 rounds unsupressed to sight in my scope.  Then starting shooting supressed, after about another 15 rounds the BCG wouldn't go into battery.  Short story found the gas tube bent and the gas key hole has a slight ding.  I've dry fired this rifle several times and never had any bind up.  I've never seen anything like this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436858/IMG_0715_jpeg-806388.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436858/IMG_0716_jpeg-806389.JPG
View Quote
This just happened to me but with my gen 1 rifle length chassis. I just got it back from lmt. The issue in mine was there was no bushing? Replaced the gas tube for me too. Fortunately I discovered it when trying to send the bolt home, and not while firing it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

This just happened to me but with my gen 1 rifle length chassis. I just got it back from lmt. The issue in mine was there was no bushing? Replaced the gas tube for me too. Fortunately I discovered it when trying to send the bolt home, and not while firing it.
View Quote
What specifically are you referring to as a bushing?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#44]

LMT family picture. Plan is to sell off the Aero Precision pistol lower once I can get a stripped MARS-L lower for a good price and make that my pistol lower (eventually e-File form 1 it when that come back on line and government opens again).

LMT: Because Failure Is Not An Option.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#45]
https://i.imgur.com/A05o50r.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hyv38hG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gX1ptRf.jpg

LMT family picture. Plan is to sell off the Aero Precision pistol lower once I can get a stripped MARS-L lower for a good price and make that my pistol lower (eventually e-File form 1 it when that come back on line and government opens again).

View Quote
Quality gear, awesome pics, great work!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

View Quote
What bushing?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#47]
https://i.imgur.com/A05o50r.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hyv38hG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gX1ptRf.jpg

View Quote
That's a awesome pair of MRPs there, and one could handle just about any situation b/t the those two rifles.

One interesting thing I've noticed on this new chassis, is that LMT changed they ANO process or something.  It's super nice, but it's more matte and less smooth than the pure black shinier ANO of years past.   KAC seems to have done this too.  I have QD cupped lowers with the pure black ANO finish, and then non QD lowers with the more matte, less smooth ANO finish like on this new MLR chassis.

One thing that hasn't changed is how well every LMT chassis mates with every KAC IWS lower I own.  LMT tops on LMT bottoms in my experience are almost like one piece when joined...takes a bullet to punch the pin usually.  LMT tops of KAC lowers is close, but not as tight.   They are like the goldilocks of upper/lower fitment

eta:

Oh....and why did LMT not put a rear QD cup on the right side of the chassis?

Kind of seems like Satan hand discrimination if you ask me
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quality gear, awesome pics, great work!
View Quote
Thank you. I love LMT stuff. It is also fun taking pictures and getting better at taking pictures.

That's a awesome pair of MRPs there, and one could handle just about any situation b/t the those two rifles.

One interesting thing I've noticed on this new chassis, is that LMT changed they ANO process or something.  It's super nice, but it's more matte and less smooth than the pure black shinier ANO of years past.   KAC seems to have done this too.  I have QD cupped lowers with the pure black ANO finish, and then non QD lowers with the more matte, less smooth ANO finish like on this new MLR chassis.

One thing that hasn't changed is how well every LMT chassis mates with every KAC IWS lower I own.  LMT tops on LMT bottoms in my experience are almost like one piece when joined...takes a bullet to punch the pin usually.  LMT tops of KAC lowers is close, but not as tight.   They are like the goldilocks of upper/lower fitment

eta:

Oh....and why did LMT not put a rear QD cup on the right side of the chassis?

Kind of seems like Satan hand discrimination if you ask me
View Quote
I agree. I had three setups, two CQBs and one MLR. Two 16" barrels and one 10.5". I was talking about selling one of the 16" CQB uppers as I don't really need two of them. Like you said, I could handle just about any situation. With the LMT torque wrench that came with my complete rifle, it really is a 40 second job taking out one barrel and putting in the new one. So I sold the extra 16" CQB upper to my buddy that was super excited to get it. I got a great deal from it and so did he. We were both happy. Plus I want to save up and wait for a MLC upper receiver sale/deal if LMT or Brownells does anything like that in 2019. That would be just about perfect to add as a third upper receiver.

I have also noticed that about the LMT upper and lower sitting very snug together. The tightest fit of any AR I have ever owned. Like you said, even more than KAC. The LMT I need to take a bullet or a punch to get the upper off the lower. Amazing how tight the tolerances are. I love it, like you said it is almost as if the upper and lower are one unit, that is how tight they are.

A MLC upper receiver and an 11.5" and/or 14.5" MRP barrels are on my lookout for 2019. Would love if LMT offered 6.5 Grendel offerings.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoGT3] [#49]
@Sabre675

Look at Badger Ordnance.  They have a modified Harris bipod attached to a Mlok mount.  Very slick and eliminates the need for the Pic rail segment.  It's next on my buy list.  Have been using a Magpul segment with Harris/Larue setup.  The Badger should way less and be less cluttered.  All my rails are now Mlok so easy to move from one to the other.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/tactical-rifle-enhancements/lpbk-enhanced-bipod-with-mlok-mount.html
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#50]
Besides the MRPs, the best thing about these badness threads has always been the passion shown by fellow MRP owners

I promised myself I wouldn't cannibalize other builds in order to build this new rifle, so this is just some mocking up with a SBR'd lower to get an idea of the feel and balance.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 70 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top