Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 66 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
I hope I get an email as well.  ADCO said they won't do MRP conversions

Surely someone can fill this void.
View Quote
You don’t want ADCO to do the work for you anyway, they pinned a flash hider on my 14.5 inch MRP barrel and did a terrible job.  All my work went to Marvin Pitts after that, even though I had to wait a long time for the work to be completed, it was worth it for the quality.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#2]
Originally Posted By INTrooper4255:

You don’t want ADCO to do the work for you anyway, they pinned a flash hider on my 14.5 inch MRP barrel and did a terrible job.  All my work went to Marvin Pitts after that, even though I had to wait a long time for the work to be completed, it was worth it for the quality.
View Quote
Thanks for the info, and I've seen your finished work by Marvin Pitts.  It was no doubt pure awesomeness!

Before people actually machined MRP barrels to be converted, IIrc some would use a donor MRP barrel and remove it's press fit headspaced collar and install it on a non MRP barrel.  I wonder if you do it this way, if there is any actual machining involved.  I found this pic on GB of a green mountain blank turned, and then converted into a piston setup using a MRP donor barrel....

I'm ignorant on this stuff really, however I think I need to invest the time to try and understand exactly what all is involved with these processes.  I've owned MRPs since 2008, and shortly there after I've always wanted to convert barrels for a MRP.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for the info, and I've seen your finished work by Marvin Pitts.  It was no doubt pure awesomeness!

Before people actually machined MRP barrels to be converted, IIrc some would use a donor MRP barrel and remove it's press fit headspaced collar and install it on a non MRP barrel.  I wonder if you do it this way, if there is any actual machining involved.  I found this pic on GB of a green mountain blank turned, and then converted into a piston setup using a MRP donor barrel....
http://i63.tinypic.com/j0fyf7.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/w86why.jpg

I'm ignorant on this stuff really, however I think I need to invest the time to try and understand exactly what all is involved with these processes.  I've owned MRPs since 2008, and shortly there after I've always wanted to convert barrels for a MRP.
View Quote
I know very minimal about the conversion, but I think it mostly deals with the receiver extension of the barrel where it locks into the MRP upper receiver.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What is wrong with LMT barrels

They have never failed me...bring out good accuracy and long life...doubt I'll ever wear one out...
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
What is wrong with LMT barrels

They have never failed me...bring out good accuracy and long life...doubt I'll ever wear one out...
View Quote
My 10.5" CL MRP barrel is a little world beater....and I've had great accuracy with it out past 700yds.  I have some old Rock 5R SS barrels that have seen close to 900yds with great accuracy.  Those barrels are worth every penny, and I couldn't replace them with better alternatives imho even with a converted barrel.

However, I've owned a couple 16" CL models, and briefly a 14.5" CL model.   The specs on those barrels are completely wrong for my needs, or taste.   The 14.5" CL model needs to be offered in mid length gas model at the minimum.   The 16" CL barrel just needs a whole new profile option.  I see the use for the existing model, but not everybody is dumping mags, and needs MG type thickness.

My LMT MWS's 16" CL barrel hammers gallon jugs @ 1k, and will put 10rds of 168gr. FGMM SMKs into an inch.  It too is an excellent barrel.

I think LMT makes exceptional barrels, especially the old Mike Rock models.  However, many of their barrels are not caught up to date with market trends.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonolithicRP] [#6]
^^^ Yep.  LMT barrel's are really good, but if you want a configuration other than what they offer you kinda have to do something.  I don't have any complaints about factory MRP barrel accuracy, seems like all of the 5.56 barrels I've put good ammo in have been able to hold ~1moa or even better in some cases...and this is all with chrome lined barrels.  I haven't worn one out either, but to be honest I haven't put enough rounds through any single MRP barrel to get close to wearing one out anyway.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope to visit with a fellow arfcommer who seems like a very talented, and knowledgeable machinist.  I'm going to take a MRP barrel to show him, and ask his opinion.  Seems like if the right person could carve out a real niche for this service.   That DBMG place iirc used to actually stock already converted MRP and MWS barrels on their website.  IIrc they were using Noveske .308 barrels, and maybe DD 5.56 16" barrels.   The prices were around $500 I think too, and this was 5yrs  or more ago.

There is a very neat one off custom .22lr, and 5.45 piston setup on GB that those pics came from above....I thought for some time about making an offer for the .22lr kit, but the barrel isn't threaded.  In the guys info portion, he says he did these himself.  He then goes on to say he's selling in order to take a RV cross country...so getting him to do more is unlikely
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Does LMT send out a shipping notification?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By angelbeast6:
Does LMT send out a shipping notification?
View Quote
I've never gotten one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If you call, they'll give you tracking
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ronin859: I've never gotten one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronin859:
Originally Posted By angelbeast6: Does LMT send out a shipping notification?
I've never gotten one.
Me either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
In my experience, you'll get an "Order Complete" email when it ships.

I usually receive UPS shipping notifications and tracking info from UPS themselves as part of having a UPS account tied to my name/address.

I've never received tracking info from LMT directly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Excuse the low quality photo but I just picked up my first complete LMT rifle about two hours ago. Moved a few parts around for my needs and I think I'm ready to go. Planning on getting a solid zero tomorrow early morning and shooting it under nods. Absolutely impressed with the rifle so far and can't wait to beat on this thing

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin859] [#14]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
Excuse the low quality photo but I just picked up my first complete LMT rifle about two hours ago. Moved a few parts around for my needs and I think I'm ready to go. Planning on getting a solid zero tomorrow early morning and shooting it under nods. Absolutely impressed with the rifle so far and can't wait to beat on this thing

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/PicsArt_12-27-08_04_35_jpg-787515.JPG
View Quote
Nice! Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/PicsArt_12-27-08_04_35_jpg-787515.JPG
View Quote
That's a no expense spared rifle there sir, very nice!   That feeling of getting a new nice gun is about as good as it gets.  Congrats on both accords

I'm glad the topic of LMT tracking came up.  I was wondering the same thing, and just assumed they shipped when my order went complete.  It was around noon yesterday.

Thirdly, I met with fellow member Notso who has an awesome little machine/gun shop...all the major things one needs to build whatever, CNC, Lathe, Mill, etc.  I showed him the MRP chassis, MRP barrel, and told him how I thought the barrel extension/headspace collar worked.

He said he could do it in time, but it would be by no means an easy task.   I got the impression that it's a rather difficult job on a barrel using a donor LMT MRP barrel extension, let alone doing a barrel without one like most would want.

I guess LMT either knew what they were doing, or they got lucky, as it seems this is no easy feat....and I've only seen maybe 4-5 people do it successfully.  Spikes, Pitts, DBMG, dude on GB right lol, and maybe one or two one offs over the years at most.   I'll cry about it, but a carbine gas 14.5" on paper will be more reliable, and LMT's profile and rep for accuracy will ease the pain I guess.   All the used ones I ever see are already pin and welded, which makes sense but still doesn't mean I want the existing muzzle device.

I need a barrel boys
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:56:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#16]
All this talk of MRP barrels reminds me that the 16" 1/7 SS barrel I got with my MRP has consistently been one of the finest 556 barrels I have ever owned.
It is hard for me to imagine why anyone shooting an AR would feel they need a finer barrel.  I do have an early 18" SS 1/8 MRP barrel which is a heavy profile.
It actually out shoots the 16" with 50-55 grain match ammo, but not by much.
On a good day, it is extremely hard to differentiate between my MRP's 16" SS and my best AR barrel, a 16" Krieger Recon lightweight profile 1/7 which, since about
180 rounds has consistently been my most accurate shooter.
A Marine sniper instructor buddy shot an outstanding 0.65 MOA 5 round group (Bipod/Bag) with the 16" MRP at 500 meters, with the NSX 3.5-15X50 mounted.
Even more impressive was the 1.3 MOA group shot with the Krieger Recon @ 500 meters, 10 rounds, MK262, OPS 12th, Bipod/Bag, with the TA11C.
ACOG 3.5X and this "expert" puts 8 out of the ten in a 4 inch group! At 500 meters!  3.5X!  FUCK!

I don't worry about barrels so much anymore.  Make sure they group well with your ammo of choice, Gunny says.

Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By edwin907:
All this talk of MRP barrels reminds me that the 16" 1/7 SS barrel I got with my MRP has consistently been one of the finest 556 barrels I have ever owned.
It is hard for me to imagine why anyone shooting an AR would feel they need a finer barrel.  I do have an early 18" SS 1/8 MRP barrel which is a heavy profile.
On a good day, it is extremely hard to differentiate between my MRP's 16" SS and my best AR barrel, a 16" Krieger Recon lightweight profile 1/7 which, since about
A Marine sniper instructor buddy shot an outstanding 0.65 MOA 5 round group (Bipod/Bag) with the 16" MRP at 500 meters, with the NSX 3.5-15X50 mounted.
Even more impressive was the 1.3 MOA group shot with the Krieger Recon @ 500 meters, 10 rounds, MK262, OPS 12th, Bipod/Bag, with the TA11C.
ACOG 3.5X and this "expert" puts 8 out of the ten in a 4 inch group! At 500 meters!  3.5X!  FUCK!

I don't worry about barrels so much anymore.  Make sure they group well with your ammo of choice, Gunny says.

https://i.imgur.com/figPFzF.jpg
View Quote
^^^ Truth ^^^ The factory LMT barrels do just fine for my needs...no need to spend ridicolous amounts of money to squeeze an extra .25 MOA for no real reason...unless you are into super high end accuracy match leagues...
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got back from my first outing with the new rifle. Absolutely blown away with how smooth and accurate this rifle is... Cycled everything from UMC 223 to MK262 suppressed and unsuppressed. This is looking to be the best rifle I've ever owned

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#19]

View All Quotes

You don't have to tell me brother, your rifle length builds w/ SS barrels were what got me in the MRP game.  Again, I'm not trying to complain about LMT barrel quality as I've been annoyed by that from others over the years for sure.   Rather the lack of updated options.  LMT has a history of doing what they feel is best for the customer, rather than what the costumer sometimes wants....to their credit, they've built one of the best firearm companies in the world doing that.   They have always fought their consumer base over the MRP/MWS barrel specs.  The 6.8 option is most likely the greatest example of this even though I've never gotten into that caliber.   People begged for LW profiles, and they ceded with the MWS options.    Maybe they will one day make a 14.5/16" pencil profile LMT MRP barrel...in mid gas.

Any chance any of us MLR buyers will get it in the mail tomorrow?  Giddy like a kitty

Just got back from my first outing with the new rifle. Absolutely blown away with how smooth and accurate this rifle is... Cycled everything from UMC 223 to MK262 suppressed and unsuppressed. This is looking to be the best rifle I've ever owned

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/IMG_20181228_093236_160_jpg-787886.JPG
Everybody loves a winner

Nice report, and pic.  It's always nice when expectations meet reality, many times in life this just isn't the case.  I was gonna ask before, you gonna get a bayo for it?   What bayo do the kiwis use?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Throughout the years I've come to a conclusion that lighter isn't always better...it seems that light weapons seem to induce more malfunctions...but more of this is seen in DIY LW builds vs factory guns.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:04:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#21]
Originally Posted By hobbez84:
http://i.imgur.com/SxOKFDrh.jpg

Ignore the OD stock, Tan Sopmod inbound any day now MARS-L lower, MLC Rifle length upper, 14.5 barrel with a pin/weld. Only changes made was the Magpul MOE+ grip, and LaRue MBT trigger.

I really like the setup, and despite the heavy profile barrel, I think it's a touch heavier than my SCAR 16S SBR. The only change I'd really do is a barrel lightening job, and H2 buffer. I wonder if Marvin and dimple a barrel that's already pinned and welded...
View All Quotes
http://i.imgur.com/SxOKFDrh.jpg

Ignore the OD stock, Tan Sopmod inbound any day now MARS-L lower, MLC Rifle length upper, 14.5 barrel with a pin/weld. Only changes made was the Magpul MOE+ grip, and LaRue MBT trigger.

I really like the setup, and despite the heavy profile barrel, I think it's a touch heavier than my SCAR 16S SBR. The only change I'd really do is a barrel lightening job, and H2 buffer. I wonder if Marvin and dimple a barrel that's already pinned and welded...
So I've been going back over this thread looking at MLR builds....and found this one that I already commented on.  This was before I entertained a new MRP MLR build.  Reading it a second time with this new build in mind, I see why I liked it so much.  Your last paragraph is most excellent info.

I do have a question, I really like your railscale model setup with the cutout for the Karve.  How do you like them after some time now?  RS stuff looks so well thought out, and executed.  I understand the cost, I'm just trying to justify it personally.

Also trying to figure out the most streamline scout mount for the MLR chassis.   Thinking of going with a KAC or Ariska inline mount.

Funny thing, with a Surefire M600DF, EXPS 3-0, and no mag, the LMT (as pictured above) weighs 8.2 lbs.

My SCAR 16S with a 10" barrel, same light, no mag, and Aimpoint T2 weights.....8.2 lbs.

Of course, the SBR balances better since a lot of the weight is in the middle of the reciever. The LMT is def. front heavy, and now I'm really interested if I can bring the weight down to below 8 lbs by dropping the barrel weight.

I should also mention this was done on a no frills digital scale so the measurements arent exactly super accurate.
More excellent info.  Thanks.  I also found where you linked your IG account, so I'll check out those pics
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ2A] [#22]

You don't have to tell me brother, your rifle length builds w/ SS barrels were what got me in the MRP game.  Again, I'm not trying to complain about LMT barrel quality as I've been annoyed by that from others over the years for sure.   Rather the lack of updated options.  LMT has a history of doing what they feel is best for the customer, rather than what the costumer sometimes wants....to their credit, they've built one of the best firearm companies in the world doing that.   They have always fought their consumer base over the MRP/MWS barrel specs.  The 6.8 option is most likely the greatest example of this even though I've never gotten into that caliber.   People begged for LW profiles, and they ceded with the MWS options.    Maybe they will one day make a 14.5/16" pencil profile LMT MRP barrel...in mid gas.

Any chance any of us MLR buyers will get it in the mail tomorrow?  Giddy like a kitty

Everybody loves a winner

Nice report, and pic.  It's always nice when expectations meet reality, many times in life this just isn't the case.  I was gonna ask before, you gonna get a bayo for it?   What bayo do the kiwis use?
View Quote
Thank you! Good question about the bayonet... I have no idea what they use but I'll see if I can find out

Link Posted: 12/31/2018 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Great picture.  I really regret not buying one of the contract over run kiwi barrels w/ bayo lug.

After doing some reading, it seems they just use the US m7 bayonets w/ M10 scabbards.   One source cited many were made by General Cutlery.  No NZ marking on them either apparently.   Seems like it will be easy to find a correct bayo for it.

I sure hope I get something in the mail, or from the brown truck today.  Ordered a 14.5" barrel for it as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 4:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ2A] [#24]
Great picture.  I really regret not buying one of the contract over run kiwi barrels w/ bayo lug.

After doing some reading, it seems they just use the US m7 bayonets w/ M10 scabbards.   One source cited many were made by General Cutlery.  No NZ marking on them either apparently.   Seems like it will be easy to find a correct bayo for it.

I sure hope I get something in the mail, or from the brown truck today.  Ordered a 14.5" barrel for it as well.
View Quote
Awesome! Congrats. And yep, sounds like you're right! This is the response I got from someone in the NZ armed forces "I can't  remember what it's called Haha its like Vietnam era American bayonet". Pretty interesting haha

Oh and you can still over pay for a complete NZ rifle like me!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Awesome! Congrats. And yep, sounds like you're right! This is the response I got from someone in the NZ armed forces "I can't  remember what it's called Haha its like Vietnam era American bayonet". Pretty interesting haha

Oh and you can still over pay for a complete NZ rifle like me!
View Quote
Mind sharing where you picked it up at. Most places seem to be on backorder.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By charlesb_la:
Mind sharing where you picked it up at. Most places seem to be on backorder.
View Quote
Just called LMT to see if they had any available then had my FFL call and place the order. Shipped in 4 business days!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Can you no longer order direct through LMT for FFL stuff?  I bought my MWS directly from them a number of years ago.  I was planning to order a lower from them as well potentially.

I really like buying direct from the company, makes things easier in my experience if something goes wrong.  Unless you know, maybe send them an email asking about their policy.

https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/nz-mars-l

I'd much rather have a LMT built complete NZ MARS rifle w/ box and accs., etc...than build my own over time.  The LMT built rifle should in time be worth more given you retain the provenance for it.  So while today you might pay more for it, in the future you very well may profit from it.  Just my 2cents on that topic
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Anybody get their MLR upper yet?  I'm impatient and I picked the free shipping option.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Anybody get their MLR upper yet?  I'm impatient and I picked the free shipping option.  
View Quote
LOL...my TV is on mute, and every time I hear a truck I jump up and look.

I picked free shipping too, so I thought maybe earlier it would come in the USPS mail....no go.  Normal ground would have it here today I think.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Can you no longer order direct through LMT for FFL stuff?  I bought my MWS directly from them a number of years ago.  I was planning to order a lower from them as well potentially.

I really like buying direct from the company, makes things easier in my experience if something goes wrong.  Unless you know, maybe send them an email asking about their policy.

https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/nz-mars-l

I'd much rather have a LMT built complete NZ MARS rifle w/ box and accs., etc...than build my own over time.  The LMT built rifle should in time be worth more given you retain the provenance for it.  So while today you might pay more for it, in the future you very well may profit from it.  Just my 2cents on that topic
View Quote
I agree completely! And I'm not sure, I bet you probably can. I called a few times with little questions here and there and they were very friendly and super easy to work with. Excellent experience through and through.

For reference I paid $2430 OTD taxes included for the complete rifle
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think you can order FFL items directly from them. They are about 3 miles away from me and when I enquired about picking up a lower they directed me to a newer FFL in town that could order it. That was probably about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
I don't think you can order FFL items directly from them. They are about 3 miles away from me and when I enquired about picking up a lower they directed me to a newer FFL in town that could order it. That was probably about 3 years ago.
View Quote
Weird...they were going to let me order a MARS lower and ship it to my FFL a couple of months back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Weird...they were going to let me order a MARS lower and ship it to my FFL a couple of months back.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
It's possible things have changed or whoever I spoke with was incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Usually I run an offset RMR, but I threw the MRO green dot on there today for the hell of it. Better than I thought.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice, you always have such nice rifles, and optics

I'd love to own a new NF 1-8x.  I never miss a chance to finger blast one at a store or show.  Both models are sweet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
http://i.imgur.com/0hajjwK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lgJj9Zi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ata4o1L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tMRjPXm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H7R5Q3h.jpg

Usually I run an offset RMR, but I threw the MRO green dot on there today for the hell of it. Better than I thought.
View Quote
That is a fine setup. I may be having regrets about not snagging an upper from Brownells during the sale.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anybody own a MARS-L PDW lower or at least the new PDW stock assembly?

They say it reduced OAL by up to 3", and I'm wondering how much weight is saved.  Anybody know?

Thinking a bombproof non NFA CQB build would be neat.  If you pinned and welded to 16", and threw on this PDW stock you'd have a real compact full railed rifle.  Not into the Law folding adaptor personally.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Rifle length chassis from Christmas deal showed up today.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jglock53:
Rifle length chassis from Christmas deal showed up today.
View Quote
Luckyyyy...In Napoleon Dynamite voice

My UPS dude always come at the very end of the day.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I enjoy photographing them as much as I enjoy shooting them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I enjoy photographing them as much as I enjoy shooting them.
View Quote
Bonus points for the Mega lower...I love their stuff.  Too bad they don't exist any more.

That one is also making me want a rifle length MRP upper again.  Wish I hadn't sold mine...when the time is right I'll have another one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:
Bonus points for the Mega lower...I love their stuff.  Too bad they don't exist any more.

That one is also making me want a rifle length MRP upper again.  Wish I hadn't sold mine...when the time is right I'll have another one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

Mega consistently had excellent QC with all their parts. I love their lowers and still have a couple.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had a pile of MRP's but sold them all. Still have a custom Railed MWS CereKoted OD Green with a 16" Rifle Length Gas System 5R Barrel Chopped and Ball Milled by Marvin Pitts. Had him Chop the Carbine Length 16" C/L Barrel to 14.5 Permanently Attach a Surefire Soccom. Giessle SSA-E Flat Trigger, atlas bipod, B.A.D. Safety, Magpul UBR and MK8 Leupold CQBSS H27D. Have the 5R barrel installed. So I realized that I had the other barrel just sitting around with a spare 308 LMT BCG, so today ordered a MWS MLOK Upper. No all I have to do is have my FFL Order a MARS-H, and in theory I'll have a slightly SPR-ish/ Lighter MWS.

Additionally I ordered a MARS-L last week because, having no intention to do so I purchased a Rifle Length MLOK MRP upper because of their ridiculous sale. I plan on making it a Recce Clone similar to many in this thread, especially the build pictured above. I already have a BCG and just need to order the 16" barrel. My only two unknowns are 1: weather or not I'm going to Chop the 16" to 14.5, pin and ball mill or not and 2: what optic I will run. I really always wanted to get a Leupold MK6 1-6x20 in either a TMR-d or CMR-W, undetermined there as well, or recently I was thinking the Nightforce NX8 1-8 F1 in a Mil/Mil configuration. I got my LEO account with Nightforce today and the pricing is temping. Still waiting on Leupold to approve my LEO account. Thoughts on my barrel config idea and thoughts on optic?

My Second MWS build I'm strongly leaning towards the Leupold MK6 1-6x20... I like my CQBSS H27D quite a bit, but she is heavy. I like the glass though and feel the MK6 would fit my 14.5, lighter MWS....Dunno.I know the MK6 isn't the latest and greatest LPVO now but I believe for this build it has more merit. Thoughts on alternative....additionally thoughts on reticle if I so chose the MK6?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
I've had a pile of MRP's but sold them all. Still have a custom Railed MWS CereKoted OD Green with a 16" Rifle Length Gas System 5R Barrel Chopped and Ball Milled by Marvin Pitts. Had him Chop the Carbine Length 16" C/L Barrel to 14.5 Permanently Attach a Surefire Soccom. Giessle SSA-E Flat Trigger, atlas bipod, B.A.D. Safety, Magpul UBR and MK8 Leupold CQBSS H27D. Have the 5R barrel installed. So I realized that I had the other barrel just sitting around with a spare 308 LMT BCG, so today ordered a MWS MLOK Upper. No all I have to do is have my FFL Order a MARS-H, and in theory I'll have a slightly SPR-ish/ Lighter MWS.

Additionally I ordered a MARS-L last week because, having no intention to do so I purchased a Rifle Length MLOK MRP upper because of their ridiculous sale. I plan on making it a Recce Clone similar to many in this thread, especially the build pictured above. I already have a BCG and just need to order the 16" barrel. My only two unknowns are 1: weather or not I'm going to Chop the 16" to 14.5, pin and ball mill or not and 2: what optic I will run. I really always wanted to get a Leupold MK6 1-6x20 in either a TMR-d or CMR-W, undetermined there as well, or recently I was thinking the Nightforce NX8 1-8 F1 in a Mil/Mil configuration. I got my LEO account with Nightforce today and the pricing is temping. Still waiting on Leupold to approve my LEO account. Thoughts on my barrel config idea and thoughts on optic?

My Second MWS build I'm strongly leaning towards the Leupold MK6 1-6x20... I like my CQBSS H27D quite a bit, but she is heavy. I like the glass though and feel the MK6 would fit my 14.5, lighter MWS....Dunno.I know the MK6 isn't the latest and greatest LPVO now but I believe for this build it has more merit. Thoughts on alternative....additionally thoughts on reticle if I so chose the MK6?
View Quote
Yeah, its easy for one to turn spare parts into a second MWS,  I am actually still considering dumping my scar for a Fix from Q.  The Leupold LE program used to be pretty good, seems that in the last year they stopped supporting contractors so i might pick up a new NF.  Might get one of the soldiers to just make the order, who knows,  but i really do like the new Mk5's.

with that being said, your two MWS seem like they are going basically the same thing. A 16 inch 308 with 1-8 vs a 14.5 inch 308 with a 1-6 or maybe 1-8 NF.  If thats what works and what you are going for, awesome.  Before committing to NF or Leupold, I would wait till shot show next month, Leupold has a new 1-8 coming out that might be pretty good, and see if NF has anything cool coming out.  maybe consider trying to set up to lighter, and the other to be more dedicated towards precision.  It can still be short but maybe get a decent 3-18 or 5-25 class optic and a pair this years light weight winner to your mloc

Ive set up one of mine as a longer range 6.5 and the other as a mid range/lighter/handier 308. Gun to Gun, My lighter MWS is only 6oz heavier than my SCAR. right now I am working up modernizing my optics,

going to lose the 1-8, for a 3-18 and maybe an offset micro. The 1-8 is nice as a improvised red dot but give up too much when trying to get the most out of the barrels accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:04:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#45]
m4HK,

Nice MWS specimens!Great points. Thanks for the info and insights. Didn’t know anything about Lupy and shot show. It won’t be until after shot that I purchase the MWS optic anyway as I’m ordering the MARS-H 1st. Yeah both builds will be similar but my mk8 1-8, especially with the h27d reticle, really is a different beast compared to recent offerings and really not in the class of lpvo’s imo. More of a niche optic that’s in the rear view industry-wise.. great optic though... mk6 probably same category as far as glass is concerned and just scaled down kinda Segway into the lpvo’s market, but still very much leaning towards the magnified shots at moderate distance purposes rather than red dot cqb primary point of usage like you’re seeing trending... I suppose the refinement of the crossover that the mk8 and mk6 started as far as leaning towards distance as a primary use would be Nightforce atac 1-8 in relation to a perfect optic for a 7.62 gasser...

Still need to figure out an optic for my rifle length mrp 5.56 recce MARS-L that’s inbound..Maybe shot show will help... for all it’s short comings the nx8 seems like a recce purpose built optic... light , simple and small...kinda jack of all nothing optic, red dot driven, with poor eye relief.. so does one commit with such a short coming on a leaning primary role...especially with a secondary function, shots at moderate distances is gross incrementally and lacking...although by some accounts thus far still  competent ....

All this is getting quite expensive as you know and there are always subtleties, that aren’t always so subtle when money is involved, that you end up not liking...
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Jtdam,

Anything you don’t like about the nx8? Especially compared to your original recce setup on your recce’s. Apparently had had a preference as to optics prior in relation to usage. Likes/ dislikes in relation to past usage?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
m4HK,

Nice MWS specimens!Great points. Thanks for the info and insights. Didn’t know anything about Lupy and shot show. It won’t be until after shot that I purchase the MWS optic anyway as I’m ordering the MARS-H 1st. Yeah both builds will be similar but my mk8 1-8, especially with the h27d reticle, really is a different beast compared to recent offerings and really not in the class of lpvo’s imo. More of a niche optic that’s in the rear view industry-wise.. great optic though... mk6 probably same category as far as glass is concerned and just scaled down kinda Segway into the lpvo’s market, but still very much leaning towards the magnified shots at moderate distance purposes rather than red dot cqb primary point of usage like you’re seeing trending... I suppose the refinement of the crossover that the mk8 and mk6 started as far as leaning towards distance as a primary use would be Nightforce atac 1-8 in relation to a perfect optic for a 7.62 gasser...

Still need to figure out an optic for my rifle length mrp 5.56 recce MARS-L that’s inbound..Maybe shot show will help... for all it’s short comings the nx8 seems like a recce purpose built optic... light , simple and small...kinda jack of all nothing optic, red dot driven, with poor eye relief.. so does one commit with such a short coming on a leaning primary role...especially with a secondary function, shots at moderate distances is gross incrementally and lacking...although by some accounts thus far still  competent ....

All this is getting quite expensive as you know and there are always subtleties, that aren’t always so subtle when money is involved, that you end up not liking...
View Quote
Optics are tough these days there are a lot of great optics and really no bad choices, it really all depends on what you are trying to do on a particular platform. I like the LPVO more in concept than actually practice and i think that is because of the recticles that are availible today.

I think for a 5.56/small frame, recce, I think the LPVO works as I am not so inclined to shoot for accuracy/groups where as even my lighter MWS, it just lends its self so well for accuracy/ longer ranges that I think something like a H-58/H-57
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:23:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#48]
Agreed. Especially when it comes to reticle trending the optics point of use regardless, with a degree of limits to magnification...that’s why I consider my mk8 an 800 yds optic hence complimenting my MWS’s 7.62 cartridge. It has shortcomings as a cqb optic but suits me well considering the optic purposes that it was designed for which is 200-800 yds w m118lr with extreme precision-minute of  terrorist depending on whether you hold, dial or dial bdc...still a great, great optic...that’s why I think the mk6 is in the same class, just less precise, regardless of magnifications, due to its reticle offerings. Hence I don’t see why people compare it to the nx8 with its gross reticle and dials... more of cqb and on target at 200 yd p I d optic regardless of 8x ...

I’ll see what shot show brings... leaning nx8 for the 5.56 and hopefully a product improved optic similar in weight and stature  to the mk6 1-6 with a reticle leaning towards fast fairly precise  holds from 200-600, with .1 mil dials..

Another conundrum I have is mount height shooting prone. I find that I have to raise my cheek off of the stock when shooting prone/or use a getto pad riser. Anyone running a mount lower than 1.5 to resolve this issue? I suppose it defeats running the gun while standing and shouldered conversely.  I've only run my UBR Stock thus far so maybe a different stock providing a different cheek weld would resolve this rather than a mount...

Edit to note that I cannot post pictures w/o a URL...My MWS is on page 150 at M4carbine.net. It was when the 14.5 was installed rather than the 16" 5R. I'll post pictures of the MLOK MWS and MLOK MRP when they come in, to both forums hopefully.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Rings are another thing that is tricky, I had the same issue with a nf a few years back, the mount that I was running was ever so slightly too high and I could get a consistent cheek weld and shot picture.

Ended up getting 1.3 high badger unimount and it worked out great for bench and prone. So much easier for me to get behind.

So I ran the following combos with good results

Badger unimount 1.3 with mk6 3-18
Seekins 1.26 rings with mk6 3-18
Leupold mk4 1.4 inch rings with trijicon 1-8

1.4 seems like it at least works off the bench l, haven't tried it out of the prone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Lots of fancy new very nice optics in the 1-8x market....and I'd like to own a NF 1-8x.

That said, it's incredibly hard to beat a NF compact 2-5-10x model on any light precision AR platform.   It's also impossible to beat a T-1 or T-2 for anything but LR shooting (i.e. 300yds and under shooting).

I've tried some LPVOs, and secondary CQB optics, but at the end of the day I'd rather pick a tailor made rifle/optic for the application, than ramming numerous applications down a jack of all trades, master of none rifle/optic.

I've yet to see a LPVO that can match a T-1 in terms of speed, sleekness, and compactness.   Having shot quite a bit at 1k plus with my MWS, I can say for certain that 10x was just barely enough for my tastes, and I'd rather have had 12x especially on non mirage days.    A LPVO with 8x on the top end falls short of what I really desire for LR, or precision shooting.

I'm not saying LPVOs aren't maybe perfect for some, just that they are a far cry away from both a true CQB optic like a T-1, and true precision optic like a NF 2.5-10 model imho.

The definitive Recce/SPR optic is the NF 2-5-10x24 Recon/NAVSPEC marked models again imho.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 66 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top