Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 60 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:

I'm curious on this because the conventional wisdom says they HAVE to be up front, which can cause problems with light, sling, and front sight.  I think we can all agree that the NZSAS are the real deal, and they're going opposite that here.  Reasons?  Possibly less vulnerable to damage?  Possibly less receiver flex/better zero retention?  Possibly a demand that the front iron sight be retained?
View Quote
You can take the receiver flex/zero retention idea out of it....the MRP receiver doesn't flex...
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone with an mlok upper mind measuring the height and width of the handguard?  Or can anybody give me a good idea of girth compared to another manufacturers handguard?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know if there are any issues with the NZ barrel with bayo lug fitting under the full length rail? I am assuming not, but figured better to make sure...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By vugger:
Anyone know if there are any issues with the NZ barrel with bayo lug fitting under the full length rail? I am assuming not, but figured better to make sure...

Thanks!
View Quote
Does not fit
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Anyone with an mlok upper mind measuring the height and width of the handguard?  Or can anybody give me a good idea of girth compared to another manufacturers handguard?
View Quote
@ThePitt

I have a rifle length mlock upper. Width is roughly 1.5”, height is 1 15/16”
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys with the MLOK uppers, any issue removing the barrel with attachments on the rail? Saw something a while ago on this but don't remember. I'm thinking of adding an MLOK version to the fleet.

Mark
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:50:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Unreconstructed] [#7]
^ you can't remove the MRP barrel with attachments in the mlok slots.

Edited to ad:  This is what I read and don't have personal experience.  My MRP's are all Picatinny.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a rail on the bottom for my bipod and a rail on the side for an IR illuminator and I’ve never had to pull them to swap barrels. You have to guide the barrel by them but they clear just fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Unreconstructed:
^ you can't remove the MRP barrel with attachments in the mlok slots.

Edited to ad:  This is what I read and don't have personal experience.  My MRP's are all Picatinny.
View Quote
Mine don’t clear. That why I chose to run my peq on top and use a unity hub for my light attachment. Going to invest in a kdg mlok rail for the bipod as well
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good. I wonder if it could be brand specific, for instance, I had to shorten one screw on a Magpul pic rail as it hit the gas block on a standard AR. Is there a published weight difference between 1913 and MLOK, clean?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
Sounds good. I wonder if it could be brand specific, for instance, I had to shorten one screw on a Magpul pic rail as it hit the gas block on a standard AR. Is there a published weight difference between 1913 and MLOK, clean?
View Quote
I asked them on one of @jtdam24 's IG posts and they said the MLOK is about 2 ounces lighter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
I asked them on one of @jtdam24 's IG posts and they said the MLOK is about 2 ounces lighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That's a lot less than what I would have imagined
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonolithicRP] [#13]
Rifle chassis quad rail:  28.4 oz.
Rifle chassis m-lok:  23.1 oz.
Net weight savings is 5.3 oz.

ETA:  The CQB chassis with quad rail is 22.9 oz.  I don't have a CQB m-lok chassis so I don't know the weight, but the LM8 is 21.1 oz.  I think the m-lok should be lighter than that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

ETA:  The CQB chassis with quad rail is 22.9 oz.  I don't have a CQB m-lok chassis so I don't know the weight, but the LM8 is 21.1 oz.  I think the m-lok should be lighter than that.
View Quote
Great, thanks! Of course variables are added rails to the MLOK and any covers to the slots and with ladder or panels on the 1913. I have ladders on my CQB and both on the Rifle as it has the 20" 5R.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
I thought the same thing.

Now that seem a lot more likely to me. Glad you were able to get actual weights.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI the MRP-16 MARS rifle is back in stock at sportsman’s outdoor super store for $1500.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WBUG762:
FYI the MRP-16 MARS rifle is back in stock at sportsman’s outdoor super store for $1500.
View Quote
That seems like a great deal.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WBUG762:
View Quote
Couldn't resist, I'm weak
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Couldn't resist, I'm weak
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, thanks a lot guys, they're out of stock now

I decided to order a MARS-L stripped lower since I didn't get the complete rifle before it went OOS again.  There's a shop on gunbroker that has the lowers for $240 shipped and should have a couple left if anyone else is looking for one.  If you can't find it, message me and I'll send you a link.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, thanks a lot guys, they're out of stock now

I decided to order a MARS-L stripped lower since I didn't get the complete rifle before it went OOS again.  There's a shop on gunbroker that has the lowers for $240 shipped and should have a couple left if anyone else is looking for one.  If you can't find it, message me and I'll send you a link.
View Quote
Tombstone Tactical has them for $229, and supposedly they can be ordered by your dealer direct for less.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Tombstone Tactical has them for $229, and supposedly they can be ordered by your dealer direct for less.
View Quote
Thanks.  Tombstone adds shipping and is out of stock again.  And I don't have any dealers around that don't try to mark everything up to the moon.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I got mine from https://thoroughbredarmco.com for $231 shipped. Out of stock at the moment, but they seem to get items fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I felt like I was going old school today with an old quad picatinny MRP.  I'm torn between these and the slim/slick versions, it just seems like the quad railed version doesn't heat up as fast as the others and I still think pic rails are the most secure mounting method.  I was starting to think I might sell my old quad railed uppers, now not so sure.  It gives me the warm fuzzies

Also tried out a Griffin blast shield and it works well for it's intended purpose.  I put an obnoxious muzzle device (the flash comp) on the gun, then spent another $100+ to make it not as obnoxious.  It's nice to have three options though (counting the suppressor).  That flash comp without the shield really makes this gun shoot flat and smooth.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I got mine from https://thoroughbredarmco.com for $231 shipped. Out of stock at the moment, but they seem to get items fairly regularly.
View Quote
I had not heard of them before, thanks.  I'm keeping a list of dealers that have LMT gear for good prices.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#27]
By the way, you guys that have the MARS rifles coming from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, if you don't mind can you let me know which trigger it came with?  I know someone here got a couple that came with the two stage, but both Sportsman's and LMT told me they come with the single stage.  Still a good deal either way.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#28]
13.5, sandman k, xh buffer, Full Auto BCG. Will post

Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:36:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tj102] [#29]

Guy second from left also seems to have a PEQ (though unclear I admit) to the rear of the rail.  Any ideas on this?
View Quote
Couple reasons could explain it. Can't be sure but he could be running a shorter barrel and therefore the carbine length receiver. Not so much and issue with a rifle receiver but with a carbine one (and/or larger guy) to obtain a CQB grip/Thumb over barrel, a PEQ would be in the way if located forwards on the top rail. Or sometimes some guys will prioritize  support hand position over PEQ location and would likely adjust hand position for NV work. Not so much of an issue considering the head will likely be in a different position anyway to allow the NV goggles to clear the weapon and optic. The thumb over bore/"Costa Special" or different variations tends to loose some advantages if the support hand/arm is to far back or squared off.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#30]
Originally Posted By tj102:

Couple reasons could explain it. Can't be sure but he could be running a shorter barrel and therefore the carbine length receiver. Not so much and issue with a rifle receiver but with a carbine one (and/or larger guy) to obtain a CQB grip/Thumb over barrel, a PEQ would be in the way if located forwards on the top rail. Or sometimes some guys will prioritize  support hand position over PEQ location and would likely adjust hand position for NV work. Not so much of an issue considering the head will likely be in a different position anyway to allow the NV goggles to clear the weapon and optic. The thumb over bore/"Costa Special" or different variations tends to loose some advantages if the support hand/arm is to far back or squared off.
View Quote
Right, but in that case wouldn't it make more sense to use a "traditional"/underhand forend grip?
In the picture posted earlier, the operator has a short rail with short barrel and PEQ mounted aft on the rail, so in theory he could grip it thumb-over, at the cost of blocking his PEQ.  But he's gripping it underhand up front and even gripping the light mounted at 3:00, which keeps the PEQ clear, so obviously he intends to use it that way.  In that operators case, there's no obvious reason to have the PEQ back, since he must have the tape switch at 9:00, the light at 3:00, and only a front sight for the PEQ to deal with. (Actually it looks like he has no front sight attached.) So he seems to be worried about either blast, or zero, or damage to the PEQ.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Right, but in that case wouldn't it make more sense to use a "traditional"/underhand forend grip?
In the picture posted earlier, the operator has a short rail with short barrel and PEQ mounted aft on the rail, so in theory he could grip it thumb-over, at the cost of blocking his PEQ.  But he's gripping it underhand up front and even gripping the light mounted at 3:00, which keeps the PEQ clear, so obviously he intends to use it that way.  In that operators case, there's no obvious reason to have the PEQ back, since he must have the tape switch at 9:00, the light at 3:00, and only a front sight for the PEQ to deal with. (Actually it looks like he has no front sight attached.) So he seems to be worried about either blast, or zero, or damage to the PEQ.
View Quote
They will have their own reasoning or preference to why they have them set up their particular way. There's many reasons for the variations in some pics i.e. the guy maybe firing non master which could explain griping the torch. Through the pics you'll not a few have their PEQ/Torch switches on the 12 rail forwards of the PEQ. Also the short video gives little context into each of the very short sections edited together. Its pretty common here to see the torch on the master side rail.
Ultimately just personal preference and given the amount of rounds these guys go through daily, I'd say they're well tested and proven positions. Iron Sights (front or rear) are not that commonly attached across the Army especially the rear sight. Priority of placement always goes to the day optic and mounting of PEQ's/In-line night sights. Irons are generally zero'd and then removed and carried in a pouch, as it seen as having enough redundancy with the ACOG, RMR and attached emergency sight on the ACOG.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tj102:
They will have their own reasoning or preference to why they have them set up their particular way. There's many reasons for the variations in some pics i.e. the guy maybe firing non master which could explain griping the torch. Through the pics you'll not a few have their PEQ/Torch switches on the 12 rail forwards of the PEQ. Also the short video gives little context into each of the very short sections edited together. Its pretty common here to see the torch on the master side rail.
Ultimately just personal preference and given the amount of rounds these guys go through daily, I'd say they're well tested and proven positions. Iron Sights (front or rear) are not that commonly attached across the Army especially the rear sight. Priority of placement always goes to the day optic and mounting of PEQ's/In-line night sights. Irons are generally zero'd and then removed and carried in a pouch, as it seen as having enough redundancy with the ACOG, RMR and attached emergency sight on the ACOG.
View Quote
Thanks for the insights.  So "master" = dominant or strong side, correct?  I don't have any personal experience with a night setup, so I'm trying to look at enough examples to make intelligent decisions for my LMT.  I just found it interesting that some of these example go counter to the generally accepted wisdom, which is "the PEQ shall be up front."  Obviously they have their reasons and it works, or they wouldn't be doing it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#33]
By the way, you guys that have the MARS rifles coming from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, if you don't mind can you let me know which trigger it came with?  I know someone here got a couple that came with the two stage, but both Sportsman's and LMT told me they come with the single stage.  Still a good deal either way.
View Quote
Arrived today, standard trigger, I was hoping! Haven't had a chance to look inside, but the exterior is great.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Arrived today, standard trigger, I was hoping! Haven't had a chance to look inside, but the exterior is great.
View All Quotes
Thanks!  I guess the ones that got the two stage got lucky.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:07:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The-Ant1-Liberal] [#36]
Just picked this up about two weeks ago...now I'm in the market for some rail covers.  Ideas anyone...Beuller?

Edit:  @mark5pt56, thanks...I took your advice.  Magpul's Type 2 M-Lok rail covers have the feel of fairly coarse sandpaper...provides excellent purchase of the rail, even in wet conditions too.

BEFORE...

After...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:27:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#37]
The Magpul ones are nice if you are getting heat on that barrel. Very good grip as well. When I first went to a slim MLOK HG, it was good for about three magazines at a fast pace, then you had to have gloves or go to the Magpul, which I despise. If you tempo is slow, the standard ones are fine.

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-rail-cover-type-2
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Rail scales are nice, a little pricey but I like them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Is the 13.5 on a stamp or is it pinned and welded?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Stamp,

It's about .25 short
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#41]
When did LMT start making the CQB chassis with front QD point? I just picked up one without it, curious.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#42]
How does your MWS like the Sandman? @m4hk33

I am thinking about getting a Sandman for myself to share across the MWS, MRP, Tavor, ARX and Sig 516 PDW build.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#43]
When did LMT start making the CQB chassis with front QD point? I just picked up one without it, curious.
View Quote
I bought a MRP CQB 10.5" top from LMT direct around 2010-11 time period and it has front and rear QD cups. It's the 3rd generation of the MRP railed chassis.

I got a Rifle length chassis in 2008 that had just the rear cups.  It's the 2nd generation chassis.

The first generation MRP circa 2004-05 had no QD cups.

Odd if you got a brand new 2nd gen. chassis in 2018.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
How does your MWS like the Sandman? @m4hk33

I am thinking about getting a Sandman for myself to share across the MWS, MRP, Tavor, ARX and Sig 516 PDW build.
View Quote
Great combo, through my limited range time with it, didnt notice any excessive blow/pack pressure. They have a great mounting system and the mounts are not super expensive.

I would definitely consider a full size sandman.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:

I bought a MRP CQB 10.5" top from LMT direct around 2010-11 time period and it has front and rear QD cups. It's the 3rd generation of the MRP railed chassis.

I got a Rifle length chassis in 2008 that had just the rear cups.  It's the 2nd generation chassis.

The first generation MRP circa 2004-05 had no QD cups.

Odd if you got a brand new 2nd gen. chassis in 2018.
View Quote
No it's as new, found it on another forum, smoking deal. Hard to resist good deals right now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:

Great combo, through my limited range time with it, didnt notice any excessive blow/pack pressure. They have a great mounting system and the mounts are not super expensive.

I would definitely consider a full size sandman.
View Quote
Well I want to use a suppressor from a 7.5" piston gun to my LMT MWS...the Sandman S seems the perfect in between.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mkb1994] [#47]
You won't be able to change barrels with mlok accessories installed because the mlok t-nut screws stick out too far when you have the accessory mounted. However, you can dremel the ends of the screws to be about flush with the t-nut when it's mounted, and you will be able to change barrels without taking off accessories no problem.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#48]

No it's as new, found it on another forum, smoking deal. Hard to resist good deals right now.
View Quote
Agreed, and a MRP is a MRP at the end of the day
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Relatively new to posting on this forum. Add me to the list of NZ16ers wishing Trijicon would make the TA31NZ or at least variants with the same reticle and mk262 calibration available to civs in the US.

My own go at getting as clone correct as possible. The exception being the TA31F in red chevron.

A kiwi glamour shot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#50]
What VFG is that? Is that what the NZ using...I've had a hard time finding that out.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 60 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top