Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 57 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw: The MARS lowers are very nice.  You'll no doubt dig it.

Cheers
View Quote
I handled a few early after their release and I am looking forward to it's arrival

Nice pistol AWDeity.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! I can’t wait until my MARS lowers are delivered.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By spdrcrgts: Nice! I can’t wait until my MARS lowers are delivered.
View Quote
Thank you.  It replaced an ADM UIC lower which is a good piece of equipment in it's own right, but for my rifle length MRP upper, it had to find it's way onto a MARS lower.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I never thought I would be able to afford the cult of LMT, but the Brownells deal facilitated it, my Kiwi rifle:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
I never thought I would be able to afford the cult of LMT, but the Brownells deal facilitated it, my Kiwi rifle:
View Quote
That looks awesome!  I picked up a NZ upper from Brownells as well.  But, I still have many parts to source before I can claim clone status.  Just awesome rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up this upper for cheap. Looks sweet as a recce. Only going to keep the barrel so if anyone wants the chassis let me know. Just posted it in the EE.

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#9]
Way back in 2007, I bought an LMT lower after reading about the then-relatively new MRP system and deciding that I wanted to eventually build a 10.5" SBR on the MRP platform. I figured I would register the lower and then keep an eye out for a good deal on an upper. Life and other expenses got in the way, and I decided I didn't want the hassle of a registered SBR and moving around the country every few years. I missed out on the chance to buy a discounted 16" MRP rifle a few years ago for $1,000 (from MA, of all places), and I just wasn't sure I wanted to pay the price for an upper. So the lower just continued to languish.

Thanks to the incredible Brownells sale, I finally got my upper last week. Still a lot of money, but I doubt I'll see another deal like that. I already had an LMT BCG stashed away, and I updated the lower with a BCM grip and Magpul trigger guard. I also replaced the selector, because the original one had a nasty ding in the right side next to the little indicator. Someone on the list was nice enough to send me another LMT selector about a decade ago after he replaced his with an aftermarket selector. Added a BCM charging handle, TangoDown stubby, and Troy front sight, and I borrowed the T-1 from my primary rifle until I have the budget for another optic. I'll eventually get SKD's version of the Troy rear sight, but the LMT fixed sight works for now (but it's a heavy beast!). I also ordered an LMT QD receiver back plate and H buffer from Tombstone Tactical. Not sure how long it will take for those to come in, but I want to compare the H to the standard one the lower came with. Apologies for the poor cell phone photo - weather here has been dark and stormy - but I had to share this one after all this time waiting. I'm really looking forward to getting it out to the range.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Way back in 2007, I bought an LMT lower after reading about the then-relatively new MRP system and deciding that I wanted to eventually build a 10.5" SBR on the MRP platform. I figured I would register the lower and then keep an eye out for a good deal on an upper. Life and other expenses got in the way, and I decided I didn't want the hassle of a registered SBR and moving around the country every few years. I missed out on the chance to buy a discounted 16" MRP rifle a few years ago for $1,000 (from MA, of all places), and I just wasn't sure I wanted to pay the price for an upper. So the lower just continued to languish.

Thanks to the incredible Brownells sale, I finally got my upper last week. Still a lot of money, but I doubt I'll see another deal like that. I already had an LMT BCG stashed away, and I updated the lower with a BCM grip and Magpul trigger guard. I also replaced the selector, because the original one had a nasty ding in the right side next to the little indicator. Someone on the list was nice enough to send me another LMT selector about a decade ago after he replaced his with an aftermarket selector. Added a BCM charging handle, TangoDown stubby, and Troy front sight, and I borrowed the T-1 from my primary rifle until I have the budget for another optic. I'll eventually get SKD's version of the Troy rear sight, but the LMT fixed sight works for now (but it's a heavy beast!). I also ordered an LMT QD receiver back plate and H2 buffer from Tombstone Tactical. Not sure how long it will take for those to come in, but I want to compare the H2 to the standard one the lower came with. Apologies for the poor cell phone photo - weather here has been dark and stormy - but I had to share this one after all this time waiting. I'm really looking forward to getting it out to the range.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/mrp01-673177.JPG
View Quote
Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Brownells has a 10% off code right now which puts the $700 MRP uppers at $630 shipped.

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
Brownells has a 10% off code right now which puts the $700 MRP uppers at $630 shipped.

That is awesome.
View Quote
I really want one of the MLOK chassis, but I don't know if I can keep passing up on this deal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

I really want one of the MLOK chassis, but I don't know if I can keep passing up on this deal.
View Quote
Already have a CQB and a piston MRP but the coupon pushed me over the edge and I've got an NZ on the way now
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

View Quote
I bought one of these because I’ve been wanting a 10.5” LMT pistol, but the full rifle length MLOK rifle at sportsman’s for $1499 is a better deal.

In addition to getting the rifle length MLOK chassis, for $800 more you get a MARS-L lower with sopmod stock and 2 stage trigger, BCG, ambi CH, and the badass LMT flip up sights. To buy all of that separately you’re going to spend well over $1200.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:

I bought one of these because I’ve been wanting a 10.5” LMT pistol, but the full rifle length MLOK rifle at sportsman’s for $1499 is a better deal.

In addition to getting the rifle length MLOK chassis, for $800 more you get a MARS-L lower with sopmod stock and 2 stage trigger, BCG, ambi CH, and the badass LMT flip up sights. To buy all of that separately you’re going to spend well over $1200.
View Quote
Holy hell. And 3 years ago I thought $1600 for a lightly used standard rifle length MRP with a standard LMT lower was a good deal. Salad days for sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]
For those of you with the MARS-L lowers, any comments on the 2-stage trigger? Are we talking Geissele SSA/LaRue MBT or something closer to mil-spec?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hobbez84:
For those of you with the MARS-L lowers, any comments on the 2-stage trigger? Are we talking Geissele SSA/LaRue MBT or something closer to mil-spec?
View Quote
Pretty similar to an SSA.  Maybe a touch more creep.  It’s been awhile since I’ve used an LMT 2stage so maybe someone will come along and be more precise in their description
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
At sportsman’s? Sportsman’s warehouse? They’re not showing a rifle length M-LOK with MARS lower, just mid length quad rail and defender lower. I can’t seem to find it with my weak net-fu.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dash13:

At sportsman’s? Sportsman’s warehouse? They’re not showing a rifle length M-LOK with MARS lower, just mid length quad rail and defender lower. I can’t seem to find it with my weak net-fu.
View Quote
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com
"LMT MARS"
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/207657

It's out of stock now.  Maybe I'm missing it, I don't think it says it comes with the 2 stage trigger.  I can't even find this rifle on the LMT site, but all of them I looked at say they come with the single stage trigger.

Maybe someone on here bought the last one...and they can let us know
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
LMT will put together a rifle in whatever configuration you want.  They probably did that for sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com and I am guessing at the price it sold for that there was not a 2 stage trigger installed.

They look similar to the milspec trigger but there is a little difference in the machining of the 2 stage versus the milspec.  The 2 stage looks slightly flatter to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By thornejc:

Pretty similar to an SSA.  Maybe a touch more creep.  It's been awhile since I've used an LMT 2stage so maybe someone will come along and be more precise in their description
View Quote
Great! I had a MARS lower on order for awhile with an FFL, but they couldn't get one from LMT. Found another local dealer that got my order through, and I'm hoping to have it in my hands this week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
LMT will put together a rifle in whatever configuration you want.  They probably did that for sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com and I am guessing at the price it sold for that there was not a 2 stage trigger installed.

They look similar to the milspec trigger but there is a little difference in the machining of the 2 stage versus the milspec.  The 2 stage looks slightly flatter to me.
View Quote
I bought two of them, definitely the two stage trigger. Specs are as I stated, because that’s what I received.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By hiih8r: I bought two of them, definitely the two stage trigger. Specs are as I stated, because that’s what I received.
View Quote

That is a fantastic price for that gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice. Thanks for the response. I wonder if they’re getting any more anytime soon, it’s am incredible deal and as was stated earlier a lot cheaper overall than the Brownell’s upper....although the Brownell’s upper is still in stock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Just curious, what magazine do LMT rifles come with nowadays? I found an old photo that looked like it had Okay markings, but nothing recent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
They are a very nice improvement over a standard mil spec, but they're not on Geissele level as far as crispness. I always swap them for Geissele SD-E's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Just curious, what magazine do LMT rifles come with nowadays? I found an old photo that looked like it had Okay markings, but nothing recent.
View Quote
I got one in February that had an NHMTG.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#31]
10.5" MRP upper topped with an Elcan 1-4 and also sporting a L3 LWTS thermal clip on. Ignore the peasant lower, my MARS-L stripped lower, LMT internals, and SBA3 will be at my dealer any day now.

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]

I bought two of them, definitely the two stage trigger. Specs are as I stated, because that’s what I received.
View Quote
Well that makes 'em an even better deal.  I should have dented my savings account instead of waiting
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
One of my 10.5 uppers...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Did anyone else not get a torque wrench with their upper from brownells?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah its just a barreled receiver...says so in their ad. No starter kit included.

I am NOT happy with Brownell's though...I ordered a NZ upper...upon inspection it appears to have been fired a good 200rds or so, if not more. The upper seemed fine and new.

There was so much carbon build up in the lands that I was baffled...then I took the A2 flash hider off and there was significant cooper fouling on the crown with pitting in the groves of the barrel past the gas block. Brownells did not know how a used barrel got installed in a new receiver...

I immediately called and returned it for an exchange...while waiting on their service department to process the return...the NZ upper sold out...so I called them up to make sure I had a NZ set aside for me since my RMA was for an exchange...they told me sorry they do not do that...they will not be getting anymore back either...so instead of having a NZ upper...I will just get a regular CQB upper...which is ok...but I wanted the bayo lug.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#36]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Yeah its just a barreled receiver...says so in their ad. No starter kit included.

I am NOT happy with Brownell's though...I ordered a NZ upper...upon inspection it appears to have been fired a good 200rds or so, if not more. The upper seemed fine and new.

There was so much carbon build up in the lands that I was baffled...then I took the A2 flash hider off and there was significant cooper fouling on the crown with pitting in the groves of the barrel past the gas block. Brownells did not know how a used barrel got installed in a new receiver...

I immediately called and returned it for an exchange...while waiting on their service department to process the return...the NZ upper sold out...so I called them up to make sure I had a NZ set aside for me since my RMA was for an exchange...they told me sorry they do not do that...they will not be getting anymore back either...so instead of having a NZ upper...I will just get a regular CQB upper...which is ok...but I wanted the bayo lug.
View Quote
They get test fired like 90 times at the factory, mine had a fair number of handling marks on the barrel (not the receiver) but I plan to shoot it a lot so I don't care
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Well the carbon I could have lived with but the putting in the grooves past the gas block I couldn’t.

So it went back for an exchange.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#38]
View Quote
@thehun06 - Their website shows the NZ upper in stock right now. Hopefully they did a scrub of the inventory and discovered they had a few more, and you’ll be able to get one. Or they might have just one in stock... the one you returned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#39]
I saw that this morning.

It’s more than likely my return, which I do not want since the groves had pitting/blem past the gas block that no amount of scrubbing was able to get out (tried for several hours).

I had a supervisor yesterday looking into getting one for me and their real time inventory system showed 0 with 0 more coming in (she told me they bid on a large quantity from LMT with no more of them coming)...but she was happy to put me on a hold list in case they do...which I declined because they had no definite timeline as to when they will be back in stock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I saw that this morning.

It’s more than likely my return, which I do not want since the groves had pitting/blem past the gas block that no amount of scrubbing was able to get out (tried for several hours).

I had a supervisor yesterday looking into getting one for me and their real time inventory system showed 0 with 0 more coming in (she told me they bid on a large quantity from LMT with no more of them coming)...but she was happy to put me on a hold list in case they do...which I declined because they had no definite timeline as to when they will be back in stock.
View Quote
Why didn't you just call LMT? I'm sure they would have replaced it and you'd still have what you want.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#41]
I've always had great transactions with Brownell's honestly. So it never crossed my mind to contact LMT since Brownell's warranties the products they sell for life.

At the end...I will still have a LMT MARS-L...

One thing I did notice on the NZ upper is that the gas block was cast vs machined...any one else has that? All my other MRPs have been machined steel gas blocks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Finally got my MARS-L lower in. The trigger on mine seems to be a standard mil-spec trigger. It's got a solid wall, and requires a heavy pull, just like the 6920s. Not a big deal, since I had a MBT trigger on standby. As a lefty, I really do like the ambi controls, and I'm excited to run it this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally got my MARS-L lower in. The trigger on mine seems to be a standard mil-spec trigger. It's got a solid wall, and requires a heavy pull, just like the 6920s. Not a big deal, since I had a MBT trigger on standby. As a lefty, I really do like the ambi controls, and I'm excited to run it this weekend.
View Quote
MARS-L lower is awesome piece of kit. Got mine ready to go with a SD-E trigger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#44]
dumb question before I hit the range this weekend.

So far my setup is: 14.5 barrel (carbine length) + LMT enhanced bcg. If I were to suppress this particular setup, would an H2 buffer be advisable?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I've used that combo before.  Ran fine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw that this morning.

View Quote
I spoke with the guys at LMT about the NZ Reference rifle and the 16" barrels with bayo lug just this week. They will be shipping more to Brownells in the second week of October and Brownells plans to be able to ship them by the end of October. I would call and get that confirmed again so that you can get the proper replacement for your original order.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Why the manager didn’t know that at brownells is beyond me.

Oh well. I already have a regular one being held. I’ve already settled to just having a regular MARS-L without bayo.

Appreciate the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#48]
For those of you running the 11.5" DI barrel, which buffer/spring setup did you find to work best both suppressed and unsuppressed?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By STXDobie:
For those of you running the 11.5" DI barrel, which buffer/spring setup did you find to work best both suppressed and unsuppressed?
View Quote
Running the Geissele Super 42 H1 in my 10.5” DI 300blk with 3:30-4 ejection using a Surefire FA762K. Cycles beautifully.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone installed a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch on their MARS lower?
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 57 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top