Author
Posted: 2/1/2007 11:01:37 PM
Buying my third AR. I would like one with a barrel shorter than 16"; preferably in the neighborhood of 12". Here's the issue: Nevada and Federal law state that it is illegal to have a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16" unless otherwise expressed by the Department of Treasury (I'm guessing through BATF). How do I go about getting legal permission to get a shorter barrel for my rifle? Any special fees and registrations? I have my CCW so that has to count for something, right?

I've heard that you can legally own a rifle with a shorter barrel if you get a tax stamp for the appropriate parts along with a seperate serial number engraved onto the lower receiver and barrel itself.

Can someone please clarify this for me? Can I have a shorter barrel?

Thanks in advance
--Dave
77LTD
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2007 11:21:01 PM
[Last Edit: 2/1/2007 11:21:28 PM by 77LTD]
You sure can. Well, provided you get the necessary approvals and paperwork. You'll want to read this entire topic for everything you need to know:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=22&t=199905&page=1

I guess it takes upwards of several months for the papers to come back, giving you the green light for the assembly. My paperwork hits the mails this week.

Good luck.
scottryan
"The Arm of Law and Order"
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2007 12:26:20 AM

Originally Posted By FirearmEnthusiast:
I have my CCW so that has to count for something, right?

No
For all your Retro AR-15 and AR-10 History, Information, and Parts visit: www.RetroBlackRifle.com
Gamma762
Anti AR barrel insanity crusader.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2007 12:44:08 AM
I would suggest looking over the General Class 3 forum where most of your questions would probably be answered.

You're talking about "making" (or buying and having transfered to you) a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) which will require a $200 tax stamp.
thought about banning myself a lot - GoatBoy
That's how we did, back in the Wild West, before body armor, night vision, MRE's, computers, optics and all this foo-foo girly gear you kids use. - Da_Bunny